The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Results 481 to 492 of 492
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Other than Jaheira being a tad boring to play at the end of SoA I dont see anything noteworthy about her.

    If you want issues with a char, try MCing an 9th level fighter during the Underdark chapters.
    How are you 9th level in the flippin underdark?
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Other than Jaheira being a tad boring to play at the end of SoA I dont see anything noteworthy about her.

    If you want issues with a char, try MCing an 9th level fighter during the Underdark chapters.
    I might be biased, but I like her. But then again, she's my default romance, so I might see more of her content than most.

    And like Winthur said, she's a beast. I won't say she's the strongest party member(according to tvtropes, that honor goes to Keldor armed with Carsomyr), but she's certainly no slouch. She pulled me through many a tough fight.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

  3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I won't say she's the strongest party member(according to tvtropes, that honor goes to Keldor armed with Carsomyr)
    I chortled because BG2 is built in such a way that a single-classed martial with a two-handed weapon is never going to be the strongest party member. Though Keldorn is strong and the overall power level of NPCs is fairly even (no real stinkers, especially in vanilla game), that TVTropes character page is editorializing something fierce, even when you take Kelly's double dispel into account. Any of the mages or demi-mages, or even someone like Haer'dalis, would be a more appropriate choice for overall strongest. Hell, there are multiple setups where Jaheira would be a better slot than Keldorn (whatever I said about divine casters, they're still nice, and I can't understate just how broken Insect Plague is, as well as how potent the late-game Druid spells are. Jaheira can also actually tank very competently, whereas Keldorn with Carsomyr was the squishiest pure martial in the game until Rasaad came along.).

    That said, even a "hard mode" game (with mods or Insane) lets you take a lot of leeway in terms of party composition because everyone fills a good niche, but Keldorn's niche is "convenient anti-mage prevention" and that doesn't really translate to the biggest numbers or some Employee of the Year award.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-07-24 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

  4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    It's been a while since I played BG2, but last time I did it, I think Jaheira was my only divine caster. My party was my fighter PC, Rasaad, Neera, Jaheira, Minsc and Jan, later replaced by Imoen. I was concerned she wouldn't be able to heal everyone, but I don't think it actually turned out to be a problem. Originally I installed a mod to introduce Branwen into BG2. It was actually quite well done - she had a lot of dialogue with the PC, the rest of the party and various interjections. But it just didn't feel right in a way that's hard to define.

    My fighter was using a kit I was "making". Or rather, I used the console to give him its features. He could only wear up to studded leather but had the Blade's spin abilities. Not sure why I didn't notice I was making a stronger kensai at the time.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-07-24 at 01:00 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

  5. - Top - End - #485
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It's been a while since I played BG2, but last time I did it, I think Jaheira was my only divine caster. My party was my fighter PC, Rasaad, Neera, Jaheira, Minsc and Jan, later replaced by Imoen. I was concerned she wouldn't be able to heal everyone, but I don't think it actually turned out to be a problem. Originally I installed a mod to introduce Branwen into BG2. It was actually quite well done - she had a lot of dialogue with the PC, the rest of the party and various interjections. But it just didn't feel right in a way that's hard to define.
    Sweet, that's almost exactly what my party will be. Just replace Jan with Yoshimo and Rasaad with whoever needs their personal quest done. Thinking of a melee Mazzy after all that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    That said, even a "hard mode" game (with mods or Insane) lets you take a lot of leeway in terms of party composition because everyone fills a good niche, but Keldorn's niche is "convenient anti-mage prevention" and that doesn't really translate to the biggest numbers or some Employee of the Year award.
    Yeah, I love his character, but in my games Keldorn usually devolves into "That guy who takes the dex gauntlets from Minsc and casts True Sight so Jaheira doesn't have to". Doesn't help that he perma-leaves if you do his quest correctly (otherwise you're an a-hole, and I hate being an a-hole)

    Someone needs to edit that tvtropes page, they have Lilacor talking aboot being afraid of forges, and he only does that with the banter pack mod, not the base game.

  6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashhammer View Post
    Someone needs to edit that tvtropes page, they have Lilacor talking aboot being afraid of forges, and he only does that with the banter pack mod, not the base game.
    Oh, this is more common than you'd think: a lot of BG Wiki's pages are full of erroneous info from mods or even blatant falsehoods. The TVTropes pages for Baldur's Gate 2 also state that Aerie can't ever learn the highest level Mage spells or that Druids are a "Tier-Induced Scrappy" because of Clerics.


    The Game-Breaker page is half actually abusive spell combos and interactions and then it has lines like "Kagain is very hard to kill if you fix his Dexterity" or "Keldorn (like anyone else with a highly-enchanted two-hander) does 30 damage per swing". I wouldn't use that website for any sort of optimization basis and if I were mean-spirited, I'd write a similarly bland "Game-Breaker" entry like that for every single NPC in the game, including Wilson.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-07-24 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

  7. - Top - End - #487
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bashhammer View Post
    Sweet, that's almost exactly what my party will be. Just replace Jan with Yoshimo and Rasaad with whoever needs their personal quest done. Thinking of a melee Mazzy after all that.
    Mazzy is a pretty fun character and can be pretty beastly as a melee character. You'll want to grab her as early as possible (unless you have no issues with using something like shadowkeeper to redo her pips) so she doesn't invest too many pips into short swords. Eventually you'll want to give her a str boosting item of some sort to shore up her only real weakness, but her str self buff or a str buff from a caster works until you can do so. Her self haste is also pretty handy to use if you're saving your mages haste for some reason.

  8. - Top - End - #488
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Mazzy is a pretty fun character and can be pretty beastly as a melee character.
    I always liked her and felt her part of the game was too short (plus I felt her being denied Paladinhood even as a side quest is a criminal offense). As my Orc Berserker is unable to find Sarevok in BG 1 (I am honestly at a loss now that I paused the playthrough for 9 months) I might reroll as a dwarf Fighter/Thief. I assume Mazzy conflicts with Sir Evils-alot aka Dorn?

    But ... wasn't his thread about BG 3? Should we make this a general Baldur's Gate thread instead?

  9. - Top - End - #489
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I always liked her and felt her part of the game was too short (plus I felt her being denied Paladinhood even as a side quest is a criminal offense). As my Orc Berserker is unable to find Sarevok in BG 1 (I am honestly at a loss now that I paused the playthrough for 9 months) I might reroll as a dwarf Fighter/Thief. I assume Mazzy conflicts with Sir Evils-alot aka Dorn?

    But ... wasn't his thread about BG 3? Should we make this a general Baldur's Gate thread instead?
    Well, to be honest, the only reason I posted in this thread was because I feel self-conscious aboot being a lurker starting a thread. So I just found the most recent thread that was associated with Baldur's Gate and posted in that. Probably wasn't such a good idea.

    And waddayamean you can't find Sarevok? Like to fight him, or what?

  10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I assume Mazzy conflicts with Sir Evils-alot aka Dorn?
    Surprisingly her only party-breaking conflict comes from Hexxat. She has a really... interesting relationship with Korgan, disses Edwin like everyone else, and threatens Viconia she will kill her if she steps out of line, but doesn't follow up on the threat, deferring to your leadership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

  11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Millstone85's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    I might as well ask this here.

    Does anyone know a BG2 mod that makes it so Khalid and Dynaheir survived while Jaheira and Minsc died ?

    I just think that would be an interesting alternate reality to explore, even if the Harpers arc stays roughly the same.

  12. - Top - End - #492
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Kish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

    That would incorporate making two full NPC mods, to actually make sense. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, no.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •