New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    To me, the game is called "Baldurs Gate" not "Bhaalspawn" so anything set in the same setting with a few references is enough for me.

It seems pretty silly to expect a direct sequel 20 years after the other game came out.
    We sure saw a lot of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate 2, right?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    We sure saw a lot of Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate 2, right?
    We sure saw a lot of Amn in Shadows of Amn, you mean.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    We sure saw a lot of Amn in Shadows of Amn, you mean.
    What was the continuing element between BG and BG2?

Some characters, and CHARNAME.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Some characters, and CHARNAME Abdel Adrian.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-06-02 at 09:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

We saw lots of Baldur's Gate in the Dark Alliance games, though, which use the same logo font but have literally nothing to do with the adventures of the Bhaalspawn.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Well, I get your point, I just don't care. If you don't want to play the game they make you can just not play it. I don't see the point of getting all offended like some people are.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    We saw lots of Baldur's Gate in the Dark Alliance games, though, which use the same logo font but have literally nothing to do with the adventures of the Bhaalspawn.
    That angered me so much at the time. I got Dark Alliance expecting something linked to the Bhaalspawn story, when the only link was the city.

As a franchise it’s in an odd place. It was called Baldur’s Gate to play off the Forgotten Realms name recognition, but then was successful enough to spawn a sequel that leaned heavily into the Bhaalspawn saga. I’d argue that there was no expectation for Baldur’s Gate 2 to continue that arc, but once the decision was made to tie the franchise to that rather than to the city Baldur’s Gate became synonymous with the Bhaalspawn. There’s another reality where BG2 was a follow up by being set in the same world and featuring some of the same characters, but with the main character being a different person.

The question is of what the game designers see as the ‘core’ of the franchise. I expect it’s the Bhaalspawn saga: with so long having passed, that’s what is resonent. So there’ll definitely be some tie in. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    That angered me so much at the time. I got Dark Alliance expecting something linked to the Bhaalspawn story, when the only link was the city.

As a franchise it’s in an odd place. It was called Baldur’s Gate to play off the Forgotten Realms name recognition, but then was successful enough to spawn a sequel that leaned heavily into the Bhaalspawn saga. I’d argue that there was no expectation for Baldur’s Gate 2 to continue that arc, but once the decision was made to tie the franchise to that rather than to the city Baldur’s Gate became synonymous with the Bhaalspawn. There’s another reality where BG2 was a follow up by being set in the same world and featuring some of the same characters, but with the main character being a different person.

The question is of what the game designers see as the ‘core’ of the franchise. I expect it’s the Bhaalspawn saga: with so long having passed, that’s what is resonent. So there’ll definitely be some tie in. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
    The reason had to due with licensing rights. They no longer had the license to make dungeons and dragons games but they still retained the license to make Baldurs Gate games so it got farmed out to another studio to make it into a game. TBH the Dark Alliance games were some of the better ARPGs of that time period, really its a shame Snowblind got shut down after War in the North flopped hard.

As for Baldurs Gate 3 itself, I doubt its going to use the same main character. Though it will be interesting to see if they'll ignore the first two games, go with canon, or allow you to pick the end choice you made before using some canon events to basically oust you from godhood in favor of Cyric before the real Bhaal gets reborn.

Another thing to consider is I bet the game is going to use the Original Sin engine (which is fairly new and pretty dang functional) so its probably going to be turn based or at least favors turn based modes. Personally I kind of like RTWP but in order for it to shine the game really has to be built with it specifically in mind imo. Though if its just turn based I also like that.. heck I'd probably be fine with it just being fully real time as well but I tend to get along fine with any of those systems in RPGs heh.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I would love a "what if" scenario. I know it is too early to speculate and I am going to daydream in detail but what if Sarevok won? Either by Charname never existing or by stopping him/her? What if he got the slayer transformations and continued to expand his influence throughout the whole of the sword coast (because what doesn't happen at the ten cities is most likely to be a sword coast game)?

I see the genesis of an idea like that. Kingmaker dropped its kick starter in 2017. It got financed a month later, a huge success. That got wizards thinking. Maybe people want isometric RPGs. Divinity 2 releases. Wizards sees the success and the history of the publisher.

So hot damn, I am prepared for "base building" (housing was never awesome in BG 2), a tactical map that stretches from Amn to Luskan. You fight for territories, but you have a main plot which could start at your character's house or temple or whatever. Sarevok commands his minions to butcher your family because your father and mother oppose him, the basic revenge plot. You look for allies, which are such colorful organizations as the Red Wizards, Zhentarim, Harpers, Emerald Enclave, Lord's Alliance, several clergies, Shadow Druids etc.

Act 2 you fight for supremacy on the map.

Act 3 you confront Sarevok in Baldur's Gate.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    So hot damn, I am prepared for "base building" (housing was never awesome in BG 2), a tactical map that stretches from Amn to Luskan.
    You know, if there is one thing about old-school RPGs I actually am nostalgic for, it's not giving us a headquarters with a bunch of NPCs and having us manage it. BG2 did have keeps, but they were pretty low-maintenance.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-03 at 05:47 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You know, if there is one thing about old-school RPGs I actually am nostalgic for, it's not giving us a headquarters with a bunch of NPCs and having us manage it. BG2 did have keeps, but they were pretty low-maintenance.
    If I am the believe Noah Caldwell-Gervais, BG2 is somewhat credited in starting the idea being implemented in an RPG

12. - Top - End - #72
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

If I am the believe Noah Caldwell-Gervais, BG2 is somewhat credited in starting the idea being implemented in an RPG
    Daggerfall came out in 1996; you could buy houses and boats, and customize them as you liked (within some limitations)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Yup. Typical D&D wizard fetishization doesn't apply (...as much) to a game where most of the "WPL" goes towards outfitting your fighters. Even on modded setups or something like the EE's Legacy of Bhaal warrior-types get so much gear they just chunk stuff. Mages still do best for AoE and other utility, and they're way more survivable, but fighters make boss fights of all sorts a breeze.
    Aside from Mantle/PNW and doing elemental damage through Stoneskin I suspect an all-fighter party could make it okay with normal weapons. Losing +5 to hit and damage would hurt, but it could still be done. For me, the key gear was always the defensive stuff (regeneration, saves, AC, resistances).

In a solo game there's "Before Kangaxx" and "After Kangaxx" when it comes to survivability and how fast CHARNAME can clear areas.

Siege of Dragonspear tried to fit in between 1 and 2. Reception was somewhat divided. Idk how much Bhaalspawn can they fit "inbetween" with that in mind considering there isn't much of a blank drawn between any of the pieces of the saga at this point.
    Bhaal never bothered to visit Kara-Tur or Chult? He started more than CHARNAME's age ago... there was time for Abazigal to grow up, acquire a lair, and father a fully grown and trained son.

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Daggerfall came out in 1996; you could buy houses and boats, and customize them as you liked (within some limitations)
    But... That has nothing to do with the idea of a Stronghold as depicted in BG2.

The whole point of the strongholds spearheaded by BG2 is not merely having a house, but an actual social position of rulership, with questlines related directly to it.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Fixed.
    Was someone talking about the novelizations?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Was someone talking about the novelizations?
    Sometimes, even the mods just want to see the forums burn for a little bit.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

I know the Abdel Adrian name strikes fear unto the hearts of fans, but somewhat coincidentally*, if anyone has played the D&D Next tabletop campaign, Murder in Baldur's Gate, there lies IMHO a pretty okay storyline that could be made into Baldur's Gate 3.

*Wizards of the Coast apparently agrees that the canon Charname is named Abdel Adrian, since that's his name in the tabletop campaign. Otherwise it's a good campaign, though, really.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-06-03 at 02:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Aside from Mantle/PNW and doing elemental damage through Stoneskin I suspect an all-fighter party could make it okay with normal weapons. Losing +5 to hit and damage would hurt, but it could still be done. For me, the key gear was always the defensive stuff (regeneration, saves, AC, resistances).
    An all-fighter party can use Arrows of Dispelling and Rods of Reversal. A party that isn't restricted to just the fighter class (or its kits) also has the possibility of employing an Inquisitor (like Keldorn) to dispel everything at leisure. Paladins can also use the on-hit dispel of the Carsomyr.

Stoneskin doesn't matter by itself to an all-fighter party - after a while, you get so many attacks per round (your entire party is likely dual-wielding, after all) that Stoneskin simply falls apart to repeated attacks, especially once you can Gaxx the Improved Haste.

BG2 is quite spell-centric, I find, even as a solo Fighter-type; when soloing with something like a Berserker, Archer or Paladin of any flavor, you will find yourself accumulating all of the possible "spell-in-a-bottle" items and using them to grasp at any sort of advantage. So even playing a high-level warrior is like being a caster, although you do have to deal with the whole "play the hand you are dealt" aspect much more. So you hoard all of those potions of fire breath and necklaces of missiles and the like.

Anyway, people have beaten the game with solo martials without reloading and often with some difficulty mod setups, so of course, the sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    *Wizards of the Coast apparently agrees that the canon Charname is named Abdel Adrian, since that's his name in the tabletop campaign. Otherwise it's a good campaign, though, really.
    Apparently this has now been retconned in some capacity because with the release of that Heroes of Baldur's Gate comic line it is implied that Abdel Adrian is not the protagonist of Baldur's Gate, and has been demoted to being some minor Bhaalspawn. Or something. This might fit if they decided to change how the whole Highlander business with the essence of Bhaal worked, especially in light of what happened with Viekang and Abdel in that tabletop campaign.

Spoiler: spoiler stuff
    Show
    Every single character ending that has anything to do with a level 40~ character who fought for the throne of a god then being killed by some random mooks or a comic relief character is just to me. Looking at you, Viconia, Rasaad and MaBG!Abdel.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-06-03 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    BG2 is quite spell-centric, I find, even as a solo Fighter-type; when soloing with something like a Berserker, Archer or Paladin of any flavor, you will find yourself accumulating all of the possible "spell-in-a-bottle" items and using them to grasp at any sort of advantage. So even playing a high-level warrior is like being a caster, although you do have to deal with the whole "play the hand you are dealt" aspect much more. So you hoard all of those potions of fire breath and necklaces of missiles and the like.
    Kinda torn on that one. Often you could simply outlast the defensive caster buffs. But you are correct in that the game devolves into caster duels where the dogs martials heckle the enemy caster until an opening can be found and they are eaten alive.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Kinda torn on that one. Often you could simply outlast the defensive caster buffs.
    That's fair. On my side of things, Sword Coast Stratagems restricts the player's ability to game the system that way, if prompted to do so during installation. Mostly in that you can't run at a dragon, waste their (pre)buffs, run out of the room where they can't follow you because of engine limitations, and then patiently wait for the buffs to expire while they don't do anything about it. If you want to outlast the opponent, you're doing that with hefty damage reduction gear.
    But you are correct in that the game devolves into caster duels where the dogs martials heckle the enemy caster until an opening can be found and they are eaten alive.
    Yeah, the question really is on how much playing a full martial who hoards every single possible on-use item and consumable really separates you from playing a full caster. Naturally, most of the time one plays with a balanced party that has an answer to everything.
    Of course I'm reaching a little bit when saying "BG2 solo martial plays like a caster", but in general, whether solo or in a party, you kinda want to accumulate as many advantages of each class as possible to shore up weaknesses, so you end up hoarding all sorts of effects that most likely simulate a necessary buff/debuff from mage or sometimes cleric.
    A solo martial likely has its breed's insane damage-per-round potential and overall high resilience throughout the early saga (HP + AC is really, really good all the way until, like, Chapter 5 of SoA), but against mages, he has to use elemental weapons (or arrows), poison, dispelling arrows, darts of stunning and also very carefully pick the right target for the Scrolls of Protection from Magic. He also wants a source of Death Ward and all that.
    I'm just saying the martial flavor in BG2, or high-level D&D in general, can't keep being a plucky & lucky field soldier forever, flying by the seat of his pants. You end up preparing so many different tools that you might end up simply running around and fireballing an entire encounter to death if it's necessary. Whatever character you make, it has to somehow stay afloat in the often-tested realm of the BG2 "mage duel", which is why I'm just saying fighters can sometimes feel like casters with all that prep and magical swirlies going on.

...So I guess a solo warrior (or thief) is kinda like Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jumping back into the plot speculation, I kind of like the idea that maybe it takes place in the aftermath of the Bhaalspawn crisis. Charname has ascended, and gone on to do godly stuff, then... 5th edition happens, the pantheon breaks and reforms again, and Charname either gets spat back out as a mortal again or a new protagonist runs into problems caused by Charname's sudden eviction and replacement.

22. - Top - End - #82

I think it's unlikely that any major game company is going to be stupid enough to try to sell "what you did at the end of BG2 no longer matters."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's unlikely that any major game company is going to be stupid enough to try to sell "what you did at the end of BG2 no longer matters."
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid. Also you have to see it from a company's perspective.

1) Baldur's Gate is a highly marketable name. And referencing the source material in as many ways possible is a sure marketing thing as half of its property value is with nostalgia.

2) Linking the story allows the writers to explain why the game would have the name Baldur's Gate 3.

3) What-if scenarios and alternate timelines are possible, with my money being on something that allows a 1-20 experience levelwise if it is D&D.

4) I assume it is something that peruses the current iteration of Faerun and not 20 year old lore. For that effect, I assume it is not focussed on Bhaalspawns but rather something more current. Personally my coins are on making Descent into Avernus the plot, with a 6 party member group (with optional NPC companions). Because this would please BG enthusiasts and even give the Planescape fans a bit of extradimensional fun. Also the environment of Hell provides with (easy but evil) bad choices, or (hard but good) good choices.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Jumping back into the plot speculation, I kind of like the idea that maybe it takes place in the aftermath of the Bhaalspawn crisis. Charname has ascended, and gone on to do godly stuff, then... 5th edition happens, the pantheon breaks and reforms again, and Charname either gets spat back out as a mortal again or a new protagonist runs into problems caused by Charname's sudden eviction and replacement.
    I kind of like this one. It would let them start at 1st level again ("You have been ejected from the Throne of Bhaal and crashed to Toril as a new being"), but still keep references to the old one. Like BG2, they'd have to make some assumptions about NPCs (I know full well that Xzar and Montaron's corpses were dumped in the wilderness), but that could be a very interesting take... especially if they did take your ToB endgame save into account, and said "You were a half-elven Blade; would you like to be a bard, and study the college of Valor?"*

*Because I don't think they'd include the college of swords, necessarily.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As opposed to "What you did at the end of BG1 doesn't matter"? Given that you end up captured by a mad wizard with a third of your team dead, even if you were an evil monster who actively drove all those companions away?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As opposed to "What you did at the end of BG1 doesn't matter"? Given that you end up captured by a mad wizard with a third of your team dead, even if you were an evil monster who actively drove all those companions away?
    There's also the Daggerfall approach of "all of the endings happened simultaneously, even the contradictory ones". Or the Mass Effect: Andromeda version where the plot moves away from the area of impact prior to the major ending choices. The Dragon Age games tended not to care overly much what you did in the previous ones either, except for a few references here and there. Mass Effect 2 had you choose the major story points in comic-book form if you hadn't played the first.

And all of that is without just setting it in an alternate continuity. Or just picking a canon ending.

27. - Top - End - #87

As opposed to "What you did at the end of BG1 doesn't matter"?
    Sure. No game company is going to sell "actually, Sarevok caused a war between Baldur's Gate and Amn, with nothing stopping him" either.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sure. No game company is going to sell "actually, Sarevok caused a war between Baldur's Gate and Amn, with nothing stopping him" either.
    Oh, I see, you just selectively mean "all the things I care about, and not any of the other things that occurred over the course of the game."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Or maybe it will even be based on Descent Into Avernus? Could this be the first 5E D&D videogame?
    Wasn't Legends of the Sword Coast the first 5e videogame? I didn't do much with the multiplayer, but the story campaign was kind of fun.
    The saga of Baldur's Gate ended with Throne of Bhaal.

Baldur's Gate games are about the Bhaalspawn. That story is over. I don't mind other dnd games in the same mould, but calling it Baldur's Gate sounds like trying to cash in on nostalgia and brand popularity, and it's not the sort of creative attitude I will trust from a game creator.
    It wouldn't be the first time...
    Well the city’s still there to be used as the location, and they can tie parts of the story into those previous events. I wonder if they’ll also reference Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance
    Ok, I was going to comment about the licensing rights, but Inarius beat me to it, or at least the start of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    The reason had to due with licensing rights. They no longer had the license to make dungeons and dragons games but they still retained the license to make Baldurs Gate games so it got farmed out to another studio to make it into a game. TBH the Dark Alliance games were some of the better ARPGs of that time period, really its a shame Snowblind got shut down after War in the North flopped hard.
    Black Isle studios still made the Dark Alliance games. They retained the rights to the "Baldur's Gate" title by virtue of being the ones who published it, nevermind that they had a contract with TSR/WotC. They owned "Baldur's Gate" as a title series. The Dark Alliance games, while fun, as you said, could not use D&D mechanics or anything too closely, or they'd be in violation of the copyright laws. So you're almost right, but they didn't "farm it out", they worked with that other studio.

It really is a shame that Black Isle went under.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

The original Baldur's Gate series came out in a different time, before choices carrying over from game to game was such a big deal. Or even any kind of deal. I can't imagine them directly tying this game to the originals while ignoring or retconning the ending. Because it is a big deal now.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.