New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    If we're going to fight Illithids, I do hope they don't copy D&D too closely, or else playing a fighter or another class without a good Wisdom save is going to be less than advisable.
    Isnt most Illithid stuff int saves though?

For the trailer, I feel illithids are imho an odd choices but a believable group of villains. I assume there is a twist involved because it would be extremely boring narratively if the guys from the very first trailer where actually the only major villains.

One thing I am asking myself though. We can see the logo of the Flaming Fist on the infected human's armor. This is shorthand to tell a) that the city is possibly under siege b) it IS Baldur's Gate in location. But does this also mean that it is linked to the Bhaalspawn saga? Because that is I think about 100 years in the past.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

The typical format of BG1 & 2 included a large number of sidequests and several points where the main quest had no time pressure. This was one of the great parts about BG2.

If they copy this in BG3, then either we start off with the Gate already invaded, and the party outside working their way in and under and around while helping survivors and dealing with feuds in the outlying lands... or we start with the Gate intact, and a chase after cultists and artifacts that escalates over time until the invasion is triggered; the party then suffers a major loss or is imprisoned and must work their way out, become more powerful, and close the portal/kill the elder brain/crash a Spelljammer into the Nautiloid.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

If I were to make up something to justify Baldur's Gate 3 membership of the overall BG canon, maybe makeup the idea that the Ascendency of the Bhaalspawn has either :

- changed the timeline and prevented the Gith rebellion, an now never-beaten future Illithids are invading
    - opened a rift in this world's transdimentional shielding (whatever) that allowed a new invading army of Illithids to pass through

Make it relevant to the Bhaalspawn somehow..

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed

I’m going to have to resist preordering but i’m stoked!
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

I'm guessing I'll have to hold off on my planned playthrough of the first two games until after this is out to see how my Bhaalspawn's decisions impact the narrative of this new one.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hmm, my only experience with this studio was Divinity: Original Sin 1, which was good but also had pretty goofy 4th-wall breaking writing, so hopefully they're also good at the more serious, immersive style that Baldur's Gate has. (Haven't played D:OS2, so no comment there)

I'm also hoping they do as good a job writing companions as BG2 did. I hope they don't overuse references to the originals. As much as I love Minsc, he really doesn't need to be the coverboy for everything related to Baldur's Gate.

I'm not sure how I'll like 5e rules in a videogame. Part of the reason I loved the orginal baldur's gate games was how breakable they were. I don't powergame in games with other people but in videogames I like to flex those muscles. And RPGs that flatten out power levels tend to kind of bore me as character building becomes less interesting.

Otherwise, I'll be watching progress here with interest. No preorders of course. Never preorder.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Any chance for getting a link to the trailer, pl0x :P
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

@the linked interview: It says aims to do what no other RPG has, but I can't see what they're even referring to. Everything they actually say puts it as a relatively classic RPG design with more modern features, which isn't that uncommon.

They also had "We're implementing Stadia fairly deep into the game, actually" which raises a lot of questions. If this is going to require Stadia then it is a non-starter for me, because the last thing I need or want is a streaming service for my games. Now if it just uses their networks for MP that is fine, but not "you have to subscribe to Stadia to play at all."

Other than that, nothing in the interview sounded bad, and definitely worth following. It did make me give another look at Divinity: Original Sin. I'm sure it is no coincidence that those games just happen to be the Steam weekend deals, I might have to pick up the first one and see what they've done as a company.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Well, Larian made great turn-based combat in both D:OS games, so there's hope new BG will be turn based instead of realtime with pause like previous games. There's nothing wrong with that style, of course, but I prefer TB.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    I'm not sure how I'll like 5e rules in a videogame. Part of the reason I loved the orginal baldur's gate games was how breakable they were. I don't powergame in games with other people but in videogames I like to flex those muscles. And RPGs that flatten out power levels tend to kind of bore me as character building becomes less interesting.
    If they implement the whole 5e rule set faithfully, the game will be breakable six ways from Sunday.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

It's just that ..... I cannot imagine Larian's writers being good enough. They're decent enough, but highly memorable writing isn't what stands out about their previous games.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    If they implement the whole 5e rule set faithfully, the game will be breakable six ways from Sunday.
    Not like BG is.

13. - Top - End - #193

Not like BG is.
    Heh. Now you're making me curious. I may have to check those games out, or at least read a TVTropes article.

To me the epitome of breakable-in-dozens-of-completely-different-ways fun is Master of Magic, with Dominions 5 as a close second.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-06-07 at 01:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    That's not a hard and fast rule in video games. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Divinity: Original Sin, Neverwinter Nights. Though they take place in the same worlds, they all have different characters.

Anyway, there's more information in this interview.
    True, but it’s the expectation established for Baldur’s Gate, with 2 being a direct sequel of 1, and there being other games (Dark Alliance) with the Baldur’s Gate name not part of the main arc. I have no problem with this being called Baldur’s Gate, but with the Bhaalspawn saga having been so prominent in 1 and 2 it feels dishonest to call it 3. Perhaps BG was unusual in having 2 be a direct sequel of 1, but that makes it even more notable that it was and thus established a pattern for this series.

Edit: the interview really does nothing but support my irritation at this decision. Asked about what attracted them to the Baldur’s Gate licence, they talk about Dungeons and Dragons more widely. No mention of the epic scale of the Bhaalspawn saga or anything like that. It feels like they don’t see that story, which I loved so much, as an important factor of the series, that they don’t remember how 2 followed on from 1.

Understand that Baldur’s Gate was a formative experience for me. My username is my PC from that game. My signature is a quote from Minsc. Again, I have no problem with using the name Baldur’s Gate, but with it being called 3 it feels tied to the old saga in ways the game won’t be. It should be it’s own thing, Baldur’s Gate: interesting subtitle. Then if it’s successful they could choose to carry on this new story, in which case we get Baldur’s Gate: interesting subtitle 2, or they do a new game in the same vein, in which case it’s Baldur’s Gate: brand new subtitle. Just not 3. It shouldn’t be 3.
    Last edited by Avaris; 2019-06-07 at 02:10 AM.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Any chance for getting a link to the trailer, pl0x :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMG4Juc6M6s
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

Descent into Avernus might already be the first wotc adventure I will buy and now this? I'm stoked!
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure how I'll like 5e rules in a videogame. Part of the reason I loved the orginal baldur's gate games was how breakable they were.
    Well, you might find some tidbits here of interest:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/au/baldurs-g...d-5th-edition/
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    It's just that ..... I cannot imagine Larian's writers being good enough. They're decent enough, but highly memorable writing isn't what stands out about their previous games.
    Unfortunately, this is the most valid point on my mind at the moment as well. I know good RPG writing isn't limited to Obsidian et al, but Baldur's Gate can't get on with simply okay writing.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-06-07 at 06:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Excuse me while I go squeal with excitement like a preteen fangirl.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I can't say I was too impressed by the writing in Divinity 2 and DOS2. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't outstanding either. And it leans a bit too much towards the absurd. Both in terms of humour and the general... high-concept weird plot elements, like the tower in Divinity 2. Where you had to choose which people would serve you and which would die.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-07 at 06:22 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

...Technically, one might criticize the technicality that since this game's story is completely separate from the original Baldur's Gate series, the game's name should be something else than "Baldur's Gate 3", because it's not a sequel to the original story.

But not me. I honestly don't care.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-06-07 at 06:44 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Do we know what platforms it will be on? Will it be ported to Android like the others were?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    If I were to make up something to justify Baldur's Gate 3 membership of the overall BG canon, maybe makeup the idea that the Ascendency of the Bhaalspawn has either :

- changed the timeline and prevented the Gith rebellion, an now never-beaten future Illithids are invading
    - opened a rift in this world's transdimentional shielding (whatever) that allowed a new invading army of Illithids to pass through

Make it relevant to the Bhaalspawn somehow..
    Because people dying with Illithid larvae inside their heads don't die but become enslaved and live on millenia? It's not murder if the person continues to live with a parasite, right? So a god of murder miiiight loose its divine spark even though I assume there is more than enough actual murder going around.

My cynical self assumes that Larian's writers just asked Wizards: "What are the most tentacly sticky things unique to Faerun that we can use as villains." and their response was Aboleths and Mindflayers.

24. - Top - End - #204

DwarfFighterGuy

Thirded, I'm afraid. Hopefully the weirdness of Divinity's plots were because they wanted it to be odd, not that they couldn't do better.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Do we know what platforms it will be on? Will it be ported to Android like the others were?
    Well.... PC is obviously one. Divinity 2 was eventually brought to PS4 and XB1.

And the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, etc are all coming to consoles in September (including Switch).

So.... I mean... I expect PC release first with a possible release on XB1, PS4 and maybe Switch within a year of the PC launch.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2019-06-07 at 07:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Well.... PC is obviously one.
    Yeah, they confirmed PC and Stadia as release platforms at least, and for PC they specified that they will be on both GOG and Steam.

And for the grander reveal, I am PUMPED! So glad that we'll finally get a proper 5e video game, and Larian did a great game with DOS1/2, so I have great faith in them. This is going to be AMAZING! :D

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Do we have an estimated release date?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Do we have an estimated release date?
    Christmas 2019. But that's just my estimate, and I have no idea. ;p
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    They live in the Underdark, and we only saw Athlaklan sewers in BG2, so the connection there is kinda weak ;)
    Huh, good point. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Yeah that's fair. They come up with good ideas, but their characters never really feel alive to me, and I can't say that their overarching plots really drive investment either. I do think they make good games but that's because of the gameplay rather than the writing.