New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

I agree with that assessment.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

If this doesn't stop I'm gonna start hiring assassins...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

I feel there's starting to be a crack in your momentum guys

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

We interrupt our regularly scheduled butt jokes for relationship insecurity.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    We interrupt our regularly scheduled butt jokes for relationship insecurity.
    Can we ensure that the previous posts are preserved for posteriority?

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Can we ensure that the previous posts are preserved for posteriority?
    Hindsight suggest it would be better to back this up sooner than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #1057

Guys, if you keep pulling this bit it'll leave strechmarks.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Guys, if you keep pulling this bit it'll leave strechmarks.
    Indeed, let's not be too cheeky here.

As for current comic, it's good to see a balance as far as talking through things goes. Jeph is usually good at this, but it's always nice to see.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Easy to forget sometimes that Pintsize's original function/job is as a companion AI. He's usually a little ****, but when it counts, he's there for his people.

10. - Top - End - #1060

Griffon

Clare conveniently fails to mention that Marten wasn't talking about an interest in instrument repair; she asked him a vague hypothetical and then sprung into action of her own accord just like her brother had previously asked her not to.

I don't dislike Claire, she's a great character in her own right and a good foil for Marten. It does, however, feel slightly dishonest of her to say that "they were talking career stuff". *She* was talking career stuff, but Marten was unaware of it and now, in a small way, paints him as the bad guy for wanting to go out drinking because Claire 'responded in a conversation'.

"Dumb insecure brain" indeed; I don't hold that against anyone, but she did kinda spring it on him and very slightly freak him out before things were clarified. And it *is* healthy to have emotional outlets who aren't your romantic partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Easy to forget sometimes that Pintsize's original function/job is as a companion AI. He's usually a little ****, but when it counts, he's there for his people.
    He feel fulfilled - he's actually doing the thing that he was designed for, and hasn't been asked for in... what, like 10 IRL years or something? I'm happy for the little guy.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-12-11 at 10:37 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ettin in the Playground

I figured it was because his head was up against her chest.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Its likely both that and doing his actual job. He just looks so serene, its kind of creepy in its own way.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well I'm sure once she's better he'll make that joke, and claim that's all it was.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I thought it was the thorough wipe down.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Bugbear in the Playground

haha, boats disease.
    lol boats
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-12-12 at 04:09 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #1066

Griffon

I like row-boats and I cannot lie....

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Colossus in the Playground

Freaking hipsters and their BOATS. "No, im only fishing IRONICALLY!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1068

HA I am immune, I don't care about fishing, I don't like beer and I prefer mountains over the sea. Though I guess I wouldn't mind hanging out on a boat with friends.

19. - Top - End - #1069

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Freaking hipsters and their BOATS. "No, im only fishing IRONICALLY!"
    Yeah. Millennials killed not having boats.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #1070

Griffon

Damn them! Damn those Hipsters and their short-sightedness, and their ridiculous facial hair, and their little plastic wheels, and their engorged cheek-pouches....

...Wait. Hamsters. Not Hipsters.

21. - Top - End - #1071

MindFlayer

And if he had a pony, he could ride it on his boat.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Troll in the Playground

I would say that today's comics is spot-on. If you have a friend or family member that could really use a change (look for a better job, start dating again, put more attention to their looks) but you know that confronting them on it would not help, you pretty much drop the issue. When someone gets them to actually try, there is this finally! reaction. I know that well, since it happened to me, when I got together with my wife and she went through my wardrobe.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I would say that today's comics is spot-on. If you have a friend or family member that could really use a change (look for a better job, start dating again, put more attention to their looks) but you know that confronting them on it would not help, you pretty much drop the issue. When someone gets them to actually try, there is this finally! reaction. I know that well, since it happened to me, when I got together with my wife and she went through my wardrobe.
    I don't know how fair it is of them to be judging Martin for it though. Dora is doing the exact same thing she was at the start of the comic, and Faye had to literally be fired to get her to move on.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I don't know how fair it is of them to be judging Martin for it though. Dora is doing the exact same thing she was at the start of the comic, and Faye had to literally be fired to get her to move on.
    But Dora is a successful business woman, not someone unwilling to make an effort to improve her life. Iirc her thing was learning to delegate which i believe she finally figured out how to do. As for Faye? yeah, glass houses and all that. Though she hasnt actually said or done anything hypocritical thus far on that front. Merely tried to help calm claire down who realized she may have pushed too hard even if she didnt cross over the line.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And yet, Dora is active in her life and commited to her choices - you cannot run a buissness without serious dedication. Marten is generaly coasting along whatever happens.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    And yet, Dora is active in her life and commited to her choices - you cannot run a buissness without serious dedication. Marten is generaly coasting along whatever happens.
    It's probably important to note that Marten's coasting in a direction that potentially leads to a shipwreck later in life. His position at the Smif Library probably pays a barely living wage at best, which, even choosing to live with roommates and thereby split the rent, doesn't leave him with the ability to accumulate any significant savings or retirement money. Case in point, Marten's accumulated savings were such that he was able to blow pretty much the entirety of it on an 8-string guitar bought from a retail music store, meaning probably around 2k max. He almost certainly doesn't have enough money to survive any sort of significant emergency expense, replace a car without going into debt, or even - somewhat relevant to current comic events - move without facing serious cash-flow constraints. In order to hold any sort of wedding ceremony should he and Clare get married, they'd probably have to borrow money.

Now instrument repair isn't exactly a lucrative field, but you definitely can command a decent amount of money doing it if you can find regular work. It's the sort of field that commands a high hourly wage but struggles to fill up a 40 hour work week, which is quite common in music-related work generally (teaching lessons or playing in support of theatrical productions has similar constraints). Still, if you're good at it and live in a region with the right client base you can certainly make more than you would as a library tech. Massachusetts is actually a good state for this sort of thing because of the high concentration of elite college students and preppy high schools, though the Eastern half of the state is much more concentrated and more populous.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    As for Faye? yeah, glass houses and all that. Though she hasnt actually said or done anything hypocritical thus far on that front.
    Faye was and is embroiled in a struggle with alcoholism that stems at least partly from what probably should be considered PTSD. She has real barriers to overcome and was lucky she was able to maintain her barista job as long as she did, mostly due to Dora's friendship. Faye's actually made great strides, and she could be on a path to great success if Jeph had wanted that to be the case - since the relative viability of a robot repair shop is based around world-building decisions that are completely author generated. He apparently did not, which is defensible because character stability is the drama killer, but it makes Faye and Bubbles appear overly optimistic and short-sighted in launching Union Robotics.

A larger question linked to all this is that I wonder if Jeph is actually trying to gear up to allow a major character to actually move out of Northampton. Specifically, the opportunities for both Clare as a librarian and Marten as an instrument repairman are much greater in a major metro area. The Springfield Metro Area (which contains Northampton) contains only 700k people and is quite spread out. The Greater Boston metro, which begins only sixty miles east in Worcester, contains over ten times as many people. It would not be difficult for Marten and Clare to move two or three hours drive east and still participate in the comic semi-regularly. If not, I feel like keeping the characters specifically in Northampton at this point will require some kind of dubious contrivance.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ok, first off, 700k people is not just an "only".

Are there bigger cities? Sure.
    Is a single repairman able to service 700k people? Hell no.

So why need 10 times as many, just to be a viable place to even consider just a job?

If the market in Northhampton is saturated with music repairmen (which is possible), then its just as equally likely that the market in Boston is equally saturated. Or even more so, because everyone thinks "Let's go there!"

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Ok, first off, 700k people is not just an "only".
    It's the 92nd largest metro in the US. 1/3 of the US population lives in the top 15 metros, and another third in metros 15-90. So no, it's not a heavily populated metro area.

Are there bigger cities? Sure.
    Is a single repairman able to service 700k people? Hell no.

So why need 10 times as many, just to be a viable place to even consider just a job?
    There's a big difference between city and metro area. The actual city of Northampton, MA meaning the incorporated area it controls, has a population of only 30,000. The key difference is density. A niche service tends to struggle in an area of low density, because it's not convenient to a large customer base. The Greater Boston metro has a much higher population density than Western Mass (also it's more prosperous per capita). There are many businesses that are only viable once you reach a certain density threshold (and due to competition with online services this group grows larger all the time). This includes libraries, since towns below a certain size just don't have any.

If the market in Northhampton is saturated with music repairmen (which is possible), then its just as equally likely that the market in Boston is equally saturated. Or even more so, because everyone thinks "Let's go there!"
    Mathematically, this is simply not true. The greater the density, the lower the marginal impact of each additional operator. There's simply more likely to be an opening due to natural fluctuations as a result.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-12-14 at 06:10 AM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

29. - Top - End - #1079

Also keep in mind that northhampton isnt living in a bubble, people CAN come there as well. All it takes is establishing that marten is working for a guy that is well known in the instrument circuit and people will come from other STATES to get him to repair their stuff, let alone cities. And just because it isnt the most populated doesnt mean its a deserted hellscape either. You dont need to setup shop in la to have enough people around you to make a business possible. Heck, my dad ran a car stereo shop in my home town of 110k people back in the day and it practically exploded into profitability through word of mouth. It lasted a couple decades before his drug issues caused it to shut down. Now you can argue that the ratios are different as not everyone plays an instrument but virtually everyone wanted a car stereo, but his bread and butter were the car show stereo systems that serious competitors would gut their vehicles to install. So professional customers and not dabblers.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Dammit. Who showed fanfics to Steve? Now we'll have to crush his hopes and dreams. Again.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.