New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

To be fair, I'm 38 and I would probably giggle at holding a butt implant.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    To be fair, I'm 38 and I would probably giggle at holding a butt implant.
    Indeed. Some things are simply inherently silly.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Indeed. Some things are simply inherently silly.
    See, any form of butt implant (barring medical/reconstructive necessity).
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-09-12 at 08:40 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    See, any form of butt implant (barring medical/reconstructive necessity).
    I think there can be some delight in the inherent properties of materials used (wobbly mass of material), aside from what it's used for, and still be chuckle worthy.

Adding "cosmetic tushifier" to the idea makes it a full on belly laugh.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I think there can be some delight in the inherent properties of materials used (wobbly mass of material), aside from what it's used for, and still be chuckle worthy.
    Is a similar regard: bubble wrap - there is something inherently captivating about it.

And I think I agree with Prof. Elemental that there is no such thing as a grown up in general.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Never seen anyone react to coffee like that...
    In the comics, the most memorable thing I've read about coffee is the 20-25 pages from Girlgenius beginning from: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...3#.XXvsGWZS9hE

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    In the comics, the most memorable thing I've read about coffee is the 20-25 pages from Girlgenius beginning from: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...3#.XXvsGWZS9hE
    True, that coffee was perfect.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Amateur mistake, Marten. I wouldn't have brought my mom's foot fetish experience up in the first place if I weren't ready for this conversation.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

New Comic

Mr. Jacques, is there something you want to share with the class? Actually on second thought, how about no.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Good one, Marten.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

This guest comic brought to you by Quentin Tarantino.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's a rather odd turn for a comic which has for so long centered around a different kind of anatomical fetishism to so quickly and so persistently turn to this sort of focus. I was fully prepared for Pintsize's line to be a mere throwaway joke with no particular connection to any other strips, and yet here we are.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Amateur mistake, Marten. I wouldn't have brought my mom's foot fetish experience up in the first place if I weren't ready for this conversation.
    Let's be fair - Veronica has done pretty much EVERY kind of fetish work apparently, so it's probably quite difficult to bring up a subject and her NOT be able to provide an obscene anecdote for it. No wonder Marten doesn't think about it much - not necessarily just because he finds it weird, but because there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis
    It's a rather odd turn for a comic which has for so long centered around a different kind of anatomical fetishism to so quickly and so persistently turn to this sort of focus. I was fully prepared for Pintsize's line to be a mere throwaway joke with no particular connection to any other strips, and yet here we are.
    I have to admit, my first thought was that this little tangent is oddly specific. Not that QC has a "typical" range of things that the characters discuss, but like you said; two relatively normal characters have latched on to one of Pintsize's wacky punchlines, so I'm kind of wondering what might have inspired this conversation.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #734
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    "Well, Mr. Jacques, the good news is, we finally managed to cure your butts disease. Unfortunately, there have been side effects ..."

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    "Well, Mr. Jacques, the good news is, we finally managed to cure your butts disease. Unfortunately, there have been side effects ..."
    "Are they terminal?"

"Well it will put you 6 feet under..."

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I have to admit, my first thought was that this little tangent is oddly specific. Not that QC has a "typical" range of things that the characters discuss, but like you said; two relatively normal characters have latched on to one of Pintsize's wacky punchlines, so I'm kind of wondering what might have inspired this conversation.
    I suspect that today's punchline is the reason.

"Pandora's Shoebox" is exactly the joke I can see worming its way into Jeph's head in the same manner as Lewis Black's "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college". The sort of joke that gets in your brain and won't let go until you pass it on.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Well, y'see, now the shoe's on the other foo...eh, not worth it.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Hey May, if it makes it any better, I feel the same way about my human body sometimes.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Be honest, Sven. Has anyone recognized you?

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Be honest, Sven. Has anyone recognized you?
    I don't think that's a Sven specific problem.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I'm curious; has anyone here ever walked down several streets and to a gas station JUST for a single packet of chips?

I mean, I'm assuming that Sven isn't high and he's dealing with the munchies, but was it really worth the effort? And why not buy a multipack so you don't have to make another trip in an hour's time when you're hungry again? And if it was that worthwhile, why wouldn't the self-proclaimed laziest and most unmotivated person in the comic send his intern to do it for him?

Seriously Sven, saying "it's not weird" is only pointing out how weird it is for non-stalking reasons.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-09-19 at 05:11 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

He may have just been walking past and decided he wanted some chips. People do that.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Colossus in the Playground

For all we know the salon he got his hair cut at was next door. :p I would need some comfort food after losing my glorious mane of man bun hair and chips works I guess. And it is also possible that he was trying not to be weird but wanted to talk to her about what went on to make sure there were no issues after the fact. He is trying to be less of a butt after all and love em and leave em can cause issues when you live in the same town.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I haven't done it for chips in particular, but I have done it for milk, candy bars, etc. It all depends on whether I have the snack I want in the house, and snack attacks can absolutely happen without being high.

Does Sven live in the same building as Marten and Co.? I have a vague memory that he does, but I'm not totally sure.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Does Sven live in the same building as Marten and Co.? I have a vague memory that he does, but I'm not totally sure.
    I‘m sure he had his own place.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't done it for chips in particular, but I have done it for milk, candy bars, etc. It all depends on whether I have the snack I want in the house, and snack attacks can absolutely happen without being high.

I think he had a house of his own actually. Country music stardom and all that.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm curious; has anyone here ever walked down several streets and to a gas station JUST for a single packet of chips?
    No, but we really don't know that's what happened. Just that he stopped in a kwik e mart (that's the Simpson's term, can't remember what this one is called) only wanting to get chips. I'm assuming he was already out and about and doing... whatever it is he does these days.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I think he had a house of his own actually. Country music stardom and all that.
    Did a bit of research since it was bugging me. I'm still unsure of whether they're in the same building, but I suspect not.

Sven definitely has an apartment and not a house, as Hannelore refers to it as an apartment when she wakes up on his couch. It's a pretty big one, with a second floor and everything. But it's still an apartment.

There's two reasons I thought it was the same building. The first is the color scheme, which is identical to Marten's apartment - same shade of light blue paint on the walls. The second is that on several occasions we've seen Faye leave her apartment and arrive at Sven's door with no outdoor scenes showing her traveling. This happens a lot with the various characters who all live in that apartment building.

The best proof I've found that it isn't the same building is his date with Hannelore. He gives her a chaste hug at the end and leaves her at the front door to the building - meaning that he's got to head to his own building to go home. It does seem to be pretty close though, as there's lots of instances of people walking from his place to Faye's and to Coffee of Doom.

And yes, I just spent about 45 minutes looking all this crap up about what apartment building a webcomic character lives in. I hate my brain sometimes.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

And yes, I just spent about 45 minutes looking all this crap up about what apartment building a webcomic character lives in. I hate my brain sometimes.
    One of us! One of us!

Seriously, you have no idea how often it happens to me.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Sven and May might be a dumpster fire of a ship, but they honestly feel more real to me than most of the other relationships in the comic.

Weird, that.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me