New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Roko doesn't live with Melon; Melon lives down the hall, with Arthur.

....It's an aura ability! Just living within proximity of Melon has done this to her!
    Wait, really? Melon was in her apartment so much I just assumed she lived there

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Wait, really? Melon was in her apartment so much I just assumed she lived there
    Melon lives in the apartment above Roko's.

She occasionally drops in to sit on Roko's couch.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #873
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Roko doesn't live with Melon; Melon lives down the hall, with Arthur.

....It's an aura ability! Just living within proximity of Melon has done this to her!

Today's strip feels like we might be moving in that direction. Roko's old body is "absolving" her of all her "guilt" and her new one is introducing itself to be pleasant and friendly... One unfortunate interpretation of that is that Roko could just make peace with her situation and "get over" her problem overnight, if she wants to.

I really hope I'm just being cynical and that Jeph isn't going to hand-wave it away like that. Maybe "Dream Roko" could be Squid-bot in disguise, helping her out but trying to make it look like she's not involved? That would open up an interesting conversation about consent, responsible use of power, that sort of thing. Just... please don't... "Roko had a dream and is fixed now".
    Original body roko is spookybot, new body roko is melon. And yeah, im getting the feeling that this is going to be a fast resolve. At least to the point where she isnt having panic attacks and disassociatve episodes.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #874

EvilClericGuy

Or we take the dream at face value. New Roko's body's message makes no sense because Roko still doesn't understand it.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Annnndddd… that was odd and without an obvious point.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Annnndddd… that was odd and without an obvious point.
    What, you want something more than robot dream lesbians making out?

7. - Top - End - #877

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    Robot dream lesbian TWINS making out! Thats like, robot dream lesbians making out cubed for sheer hawtness.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Hackman View Post
    1) I didn't actually say I had a problem with anything, now did I? I said it was odd and without an obvious point, which I still think it is. 2) In isolation, perhaps as a filler strip, this would be kinda funny -- although in that context, I'd expect Melon, Lemon, Spooky, and (why not) Crushbot to be in on the action, perhaps with cheerleader pompoms and a bubble machine (lower case b there, don't go overboard).

In series, however, we have four days of dreamscape which we'll need another strip at least to explain how it affects any of the ongoing body dysmorphia plot. I'm... not upset like some people tend to get with this strip... but rather just nonplussed. It hasn't been particularly good and leaned too hard into the lolrandom zone that dream sequences do.

9. - Top - End - #879

Griffon

For me, I think the last few strips have been quite sensitively handled - Jeph could have stuck with the tease of Squid-bot jumping in and fixing everything, or that Roko just had a nice dream and woke up "cured", but he didn't and that's commendable.

What we DID have, however, was a whole week of mental trauma, presented as body dysmorphia-instigated anxiety topped off with the punchline as borish as "hurr hurr lesbians are sexy". I mean, putting aside the use of "gay people as a joke" which isn't particularly sensitive, it kind of undermines the seriousness of the strips prior, y'know?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-10-21 at 02:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880

EvilClericGuy

I took the punchline as dreams are weird.

And I assume that this answers the great question. No. Robots do not dream of electric sheep.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yeah, I've seen other entertainment where making out with yourself in a dream or other circumstance is the punchline, not necessarily the fact that it's gay.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

"Right before the good part..."
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

13. - Top - End - #883

Now I feel kinda bad for melon.

14. - Top - End - #884

I swear, Jeph sometimes chooses his titles and alt-text to deliberately taunt the people who want him to keep his politics out of the comic.

15. - Top - End - #885

Griffon

It seems that "Greg L." is literally a bot account.

In the QC universe, undoubtedly a (ro)bot account, but that would explain the arbitrary and uncaring way in which May's body problems haven't been addressed.

16. - Top - End - #886

MindFlayer

Can anybody read Beep's shirt? Top word is "ROBOT", but I can't read the bottom word.

17. - Top - End - #887

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Can anybody read Beep's shirt? Top word is "ROBOT", but I can't read the bottom word.
    'Overlord.' I imagine it's a reference to the 'I, for one, welcome our ____ overlords' meme.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I swear, Jeph sometimes chooses his titles and alt-text to deliberately taunt the people who want him to keep his politics out of the comic.
    His comment on today's comic ( Oct 23rd ) doesn't offend me one bit, I quite thoroughly agree... even if other days I roll my eyes or grumble at his comments.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #889

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You mean HIS comic (that he makes available for free)?

20. - Top - End - #890

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    You mean HIS comic (that he makes available for free)?
    I never really understood these arguments. Sure, an author can write about anything. But people like having a comic they like, and dislike when this comic, which they love for its wider, usual themes, suddenly comes up with a message that they don't share, or that they simply see as ill-placed (not sticking to the format). Paying or not has no influence on this process.

And the paying thing also doesn't mean much in this era. Private TV channels have been free of cost for the viewer for who knows how long, but their programs are still subjected to scrutiny and criticism.

This is a general argument, and isn't really about QC.

Concerning the incriminated title, I really like what the Onion has been doing lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #891

AssassinGuy

maybe they should offer smartass
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They really need a talk with Sam about personal responsibility. If anything would have happened to her in there, it would likely ahve been Faye and Bubbles on the hook for it.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

I'm stuck between my admiration of Sam as a bit of a budding badass, and worrying for her safety.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm wondering why that window is able to be opened in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm wondering why that window is able to be opened in the first place.
    Ventilation. A lot of those old over-door windows will open enough to allow air flow.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I'm stuck between my admiration of Sam as a bit of a budding badass, and worrying for her safety.
    As someone who has halfway raised several children to nominal adulthood, that's just how it be in the teenage years.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #897

And if you have a mechanics' workshop, a place where you're going to be soldering things, mixing chemicals, running engines, and doing a lot of other fume-generating activities, you want good ventilation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Ventilation. A lot of those old over-door windows will open enough to allow air flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    And if you have a mechanics' workshop, a place where you're going to be soldering things, mixing chemicals, running engines, and doing a lot of other fume-generating activities, you want good ventilation.
    This is a good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

29. - Top - End - #899

Its going to be kinda hard to enforce limits here on sam, she seems to have spent a lot of her time kinda free range iirc even her school doesnt care if she shows up so long as she is doing something she can learn from or whatever.

30. - Top - End - #900

Griffon

Faye and Bubbles are just lucky that Sam was the first person to notice the window, rather than some opportunistic burglar who tossed all their equipment in a van and drove off before they even knew he was there.

Stern talk with smart-ass teenager is one thing; going out of business and being thousands in debt because insurance doesn't cover you if you leave a door unlocked/window open is another entirely.