New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Depending on the charity and the target of said screaming, that's not so much different from how things are nowadays.
    ...I have questions. Many questions. Firstly, is this intentional on the author's part, or was it merely meant to show the difference between Roko's more driven, blunt and direct character and Beeps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    ...I have questions. Many questions. Firstly, is this intentional on the author's part, or was it merely meant to show the difference between Roko's more driven, blunt and direct character and Beeps?
    If I were to venture a guess based on how it's around here, it's a comment on how to navigate the logistics of bureaucracy more than anything else. It's very easy to rely on a lack of demand for efficiency, which means that it's mostly the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Unless it gets the kick, but that's very rare to happen, especially when it's done on behalf of someone else.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Certainly yelling and causing a fuss are a good way to get your issue kicked up the chain of command, if youre willing to risk ticking off somebody who can yell at you right back without risking their job for it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess we got the naked May that was Patreon exclusive two weeks ago
    I feel a bit like the 'your body's a wreck' could be something developed more earlier. I know we had one or two instances of it being an issue but it seems like it's something that just got massively worse for the sake of this arc. If Jeph had planned it more in advance he could have even made it a (very dark) running joke, with bits falling off at times or such.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Certainly yelling and causing a fuss are a good way to get your issue kicked up the chain of command, if youre willing to risk ticking off somebody who can yell at you right back without risking their job for it.
    You don't have to get to yelling, but the sad fact is, very few organizations will do something for you unless you're extremely dogged about it. Inertia is almost always on the side of nothing getting done, so if you want something done, you're rowing upriver.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Questionable Content XV: I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS! I Told You This Thread Was Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I feel a bit like the 'your body's a wreck' could be something developed more earlier. I know we had one or two instances of it being an issue but it seems like it's something that just got massively worse for the sake of this arc. If Jeph had planned it more in advance he could have even made it a (very dark) running joke, with bits falling off at times or such.
    She had to get a whole face replacement- as the wrong color- then a switch to the right color months later (out of comic time), and then one of her extremities fell off. That's a solod Rule of Three as far as repairs go. Though I guess maybe Jeph should have done one nore since the face thing is basically the same issue taking an extended amount of time to fix.

She's basically been directly responding to any immediate Bad Things Happening because she didn't have the money to get a "checkup" done, but now she's at the doctor who's basically said "Yeah youve got osteoporosis." The idea is that we were supposed to be taking her word for it when she said her body was janky, and now we know a bit more about the full extent.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-06-21 at 05:08 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

To me its kinda the opposite, way back in the illegal robo fighting arc we learn her body is falling apart, ripped face meats, busted arm, so on and so forth, then once that got taken care of, she is apparently free to fornicate with sven in as many freaky ways as they want with no troubles. Im waiting on a comment to that effect from the tech, "Wait, how did ky get all the way in HERE?!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, can AnthroPCs not run their own diagnostics? Or is that information just not stored, for the sake of a more human-loke intelligence?

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Actually, can AnthroPCs not run their own diagnostics? Or is that information just not stored, for the sake of a more human-loke intelligence?
    This may be more a combination of these machines being better at scanning for issues, like the difference between knowing you have a fever, and going to the doc to learn you have a specific illness, and a desire for outside confirmation in case this goes to court. Clearly as the person involved, they cant rely on her to be impartial in judging the condition of her body, but this well established professional repair place can produce pages of documentation on everything screwed up with this body from past to present to whats likely to go next in the future. Which leads into why roko didnt take may to faye and bubbles. For one they are a new company and dont have that extra level of reliability that, for example, going to apple or a professional car dealership would give. For another, they are friends and again, that would cast doubt on their impartiality. And finally, I dont think they would enjoy faye being on the stand. :p i get the feeling that would get amusing fast, but not good for mays case.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What, you mean like her arm literally falling off?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Point taken, kind of. It still doesn't feel like a constant issue to me, due to it being few but big events. No, we don't see similar things happen to other robots but if Marten got sick twice over the course of the story, should we assume it's a chronic problem?
    I'm totally willing to admit it's just me, but I never had 'May's body is a wreck' in my mind as part of her character.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    She had to get a whole face replacement- as the wrong color- then a switch to the right color months later (out of comic time), and then one of her extremities fell off. That's a solid Rule of Three as far as repairs go. Though I guess maybe Jeph should have done one more since the face thing is basically the same issue taking an extended amount of time to fix.
    Can you really call her face being replaced the fault of the chassis? It was an accident where she fell and landed on a sword - yes, she was looking for lube to fix her arm when this happened, but the same thing would have resulted had Roko gone looking for shampoo and tripped, or Momo looking for her DS and tripped.

You might as well watch May get hit by a car and go, "Look at the size of the dent inflicted by 2 tonnes of steel travelling at 30mph - man, this chassis is rubbish!"

We know her arm was bad and then Faye and Bubbles did "some decent repair work" on it, and her battery runs down faster than it ought to. Have we seen anything else go wrong with it, that wasn't caused by something that would have done the same to a normal, expensive chassis? I genuinely can't think of anything.

She had to get a whole face replacement- as the wrong color- then a switch to the right color months later (out of comic time)
    To be honest, in-comic it looks like a couple or three of weeks. The whole face-thing happens on either side of us meeting Brun, her apartment burning down, her staying with Rene a little while and then starting to help out out the Secret Bakery - not even before she starts working at the Horrible Revelation. Everyone is wearing winter coats and they still are after the colour is changed, and Faye's hair remains in the same quiff it was AFTER the time-lapse montage.

I'm not saying that time hasn't passed, but it's not THAT much. I would easily believe that she got the first fix cheap as an emergency and then just had to wait until she got paid at the end of the month to get the blue one back. If all she needed was $40 from Pintsize to put her saving "over the top" then we're probably not talking thousands of dollars worth of repair work, more like a few hundred.
    Inconvenient, but reasonably easy to obtain for someone who is working full-time, has 3 housemates to split rent with, doesn't run a car and doesn't have the overheads of food or hygiene products.

I agree that it's something implied, but Jeph could have been done better. May managed to save up enough money to get her face fixed - while working a minimum wage retail job at a gas station and doing a few odd favours for tips - in the same amount of time it took for Brun to move into Rene's apartment, sleep for a few days and then spend a few days job-hunting. It could easily fit inside a week, if we really tried.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

I think a point should be made that she likely would have issues working with half of her face ripped off. Marigold screamed when she saw her, so we can assume that the face meats likely would have freaked out most humans (and a few AI) on a semi-regular basis.

So it might have been her fault, but it is sorta going to impede her reintroduction into society if she has to endure every shriek of every child —every babe that weeps in fear at her approach, every woman that cries 'Dear God, what is that thing?' that reverberate forever with her ears.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

The face was a minor symptom of a more severe overall problem.

If anything Dale should have offered to help pay part of it, since he just left an unsheathed sword lying around and could share some of the blame.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The face was a minor symptom of a more severe overall problem.

If anything Dale should have offered to help pay part of it, since he just left an unsheathed sword lying around and could share some of the blame.
    To be fair, it was in his room. That May didn't ask pernission to enter. Not exactly trespassing but you can't really blame someone because you got hurt while in a place you had no business being.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe Dale also expected an AI to have better reflexes than that of a drunken opossum?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

How many ideas people does it take to screw in a light bulb?

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    How many ideas people does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    I have no idea

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Your shade is less subtle if you point it out in your author note, Jeph..
    So will this lead to Roko taking over the agency?
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #201

So will this lead to Roko taking over the agency?
    Wouldnt be a terrible thing, she seems to be the one who is willing to get things done while giving direction to someone who pretty clearly isnt prepared to lead on this sort of thing. It might cause bad feelings though as beeptrice already feels down about the whole thing. Hey, maybe may can get a job working for roko! She can be sort of the standard bearer of success for the company. Plus she is clearly fully capable of being pushy and assertive enough to get things done.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Until I saw Jeph's note, I thought it was just an ironic dig because he's not "a good one", just a box-checking policy-following paper-pusher.

Had to look up why "one of the good ones" would be "shade" (and that's just a stupid neologism, really) in particular. That is a whole thing I had literally never heard of from any angle.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Had to look up why "one of the good ones" would be "shade" (and that's just a stupid neologism, really) in particular. That is a whole thing I had literally never heard of from any angle.
    Can you explain it for thoseof us who don't get it?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Can you explain it for thoseof us who don't get it?
    "But you're one of the good ones."

From what I've read, it's something said by someone who considers a group overall bad or inferior or whatever, but "allows for" good individuals of that group. So say someone dislikes an ethnic group in general, but would say that their neighbor they get along well with is "one of the good ones". Or a woman who thinks men are scum but a few men that she knows are "good ones".

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

"But you're one of the good ones."

From what I've read, it's something said by someone who considers a group overall bad or inferior or whatever, but "allows for" good individuals of that group. So say someone dislikes an ethnic group in general, but would say that their neighbor they get along well with is "one of the good ones". Or a woman who thinks men are scum but a few men that she knows are "good ones".
    Yeah, she's not very subtly saying 'parole officers suck, but you're ok'. Where I guess I'll admit Roko might be qualified to talk about, but Jeph... Of course, me neither.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, my read on Jeph's comment at the bottom was that he was being sarcastic, that its intended to be quite obvious that Roko is being unfair (bigoted seems like the wrong word here, but im struggling to come up with a better one), and that he is aware and doing it deliberately.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #207

When I read the comment, I though Jeph was talking about the shading in panel 4 being intricate

/facepalm

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    When I read the comment, I though Jeph was talking about the shading in panel 4 being intricate

/facepalm
    See my earlier comment than "throwing shade" is idiotic slang.

29. - Top - End - #209

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, my read on Jeph's comment at the bottom was that he was being sarcastic, that its intended to be quite obvious that Roko is being unfair (bigoted seems like the wrong word here, but im struggling to come up with a better one), and that he is aware and doing it deliberately.
    I'm honestly wondering if Jeph is intentionally portraying Roko as an aggressive user of her new found power in specific reference to the reason as to why she left the police.

The police in QC are corrupt - they abuse their authority and use it to bully citizens for their own amusement and convenience. That's why Roko left the police, because she believed that their attitude was inappropriate and did more harm than good.

Fast forward to today; Roko has bulldozed Beepatrice aside, threatened to invent blackmail to strong-arm May's boss, has terrified the poor store clerk, and has both intimidated (looming over someone while they sit at a desk and trying to convince them to do something very much appears like that) and patronised the parole officer... Yeah, she's helping May who has been mistreated, but I thought the idea was that she wanted to do it through the right channels, not by throwing her weight around and terrorizing people into getting what she wants, like the police do?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm honestly wondering if Jeph is intentionally portraying Roko as an aggressive user of her new found power in specific reference to the reason as to why she left the police.

The police in QC are corrupt - they abuse their authority and use it to bully citizens for their own amusement and convenience. That's why Roko left the police, because she believed that their attitude was inappropriate and did more harm than good.

Fast forward to today; Roko has bulldozed Beepatrice aside, threatened to invent blackmail to strong-arm May's boss, has terrified the poor store clerk, and has both intimidated (looming over someone while they sit at a desk and trying to convince them to do something very much appears like that) and patronised the parole officer... Yeah, she's helping May who has been mistreated, but I thought the idea was that she wanted to do it through the right channels, not by throwing her weight around and terrorizing people into getting what she wants, like the police do?
    Beepatrice deserved to be bulldozed aside, she's incompetent and unwilling to do what she's nominally there to do.

Roko didn't do anything to terrorize the store clerk, that was entirely Beepatrice expressing her unfounded terror.

The parole officer is a useless pencil-pusher who can't even tell that he's been "patronized".

Like I said earlier, too many of the AIs come across as children going through the motions and following the rules of what they see their "big siblings" the humans do, without really understanding the underlying reasons and bigger picture.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-06-24 at 03:35 PM.