Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Good Omens, or The Nice And Accurate Prophesies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

A long time ago I played a game on another forum called 80 Days Around the World. I bought a book, read it, signed it with a short message, and passed it on to another forum goer who would do the same thing. Eventually it would go through ~80 people and come back to me, where upon I would auction it off to anyone who wanted to bid and donate the proceeds to charity.

Sadly the latter part never came to fruition. As with so many PBeM games it all fell apart when people drifted away and we all lost touch. I think the book disappeared somewhere in either Missouri or Philadelphia, or something; it certainly never came 'home', and then the forum went offline. This would have been.... 2009 or so, I think.

The reason I bring this up is because that book was Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, which has just today been released on Amazon Prime Video as a 6-part miniseries after over 15 years in planning and 2 years filming, which unfortunately overtook the tragic death of Terry.

The book has incalculable sentimental value for me. I first read it as an adolescent, thinking it was a Discworld novel and wondering why they had diluted down my favourite series by involving this 'Gaiman' fellow. 25 years later and a frankly embarrassing amount of time and money spent on both authors' works have led to this, and I have to say I couldn't be happier with what I have seen so far.

It's fun, funny, the casting is brilliant, the attention to detail is exquisite and the online responses have thus far been overwhelmingly positive. Terry would be proud, and just knowing that brings a grateful tear to my eye.
    Watch it, won't you? I promise that it's worth it.

The Official Trailer, for your perusal. Available for binging in full as of this morning, GMT.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-06-02 at 03:40 PM.
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Good Omens, or The Nice And Accurate Prophesies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

One of the greatest books I've ever read, I will binge this series a.s.a.p.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Good Omens, or The Nice And Accurate Prophesies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Well I don't see any other shows that I'd even be vaguely interested in on amazon prime, so it seems to be a good thing to finally spend my 30-day free trial of it on.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 23!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

2 episodes in and I'm quite happy with it. A lot of books don't translate well to movies when they're essentially verbatim but having God reading the narration really works and the rest of the cast have done great with their lines.
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bought the book a few weeks back, read it couldn't help imagining those two in their roles!😎
    Tried to give it to my kid sister whose going through a rough patch raising her daughter as a single working mother with the rest of us helping when she allows it.

Is it bad when her not even two year old daughter has more respect for this book then she does?😓

My niece returned the book treating it like it was the holy grail despite not being able to read it!

I hope to be able to watch this soon!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2019-06-01 at 07:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Watched the first episode last night and my husband and I were giggling like fiends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I've watched it, and I liked the relationship between Aziraphile and Crowley and their characters the most, despite them having arguably the least effect on the outcome. The others were just kind of...there. but overall it was great, I can see why its a well-regarded book even though I never read it myself. David Tennant really sold his role as a demon, he was just perfect for Crowley and his shenanigans.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I've watched it, and I liked the relationship between Aziraphile and Crowley and their characters the most, despite them having arguably the least effect on the outcome. The others were just kind of...there. but overall it was great, I can see why its a well-regarded book even though I never read it myself. David Tennant really sold his role as a demon, he was just perfect for Crowley and his shenanigans.
    I believe that was the point, of the original novel as well.

Spoiler: Just in case
    Show
    The AntiChrist is lost due to a screw-up...not by demons or angels, but by humans. Because they lose him, he doesn't grow up Good or Evil. He grows up Human. And Humans are the point of it all, in a way that the demons and angels cannot understand. Aziraphale and Crowley are beginning to, after 6000 years of going native. Ultimately though, it isn't their story. It's the story of Adam, and Newton, and Anathema. Humans solve the problem.

For the adaptation itself, I found it near perfect. They nailed the casting across the board, although I always pictured Anathema as being more frumpy. I liked how they integrated the dated technology into the story as well - it felt pretty seamless. And having a narrator was definitely the right call to make sure some of the hilarious descriptions came across.
    Last edited by Rodin; 2019-06-01 at 12:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

David Tennant really sold his role as a demon, he was just perfect for Crowley and his shenanigans.
    It has been remarked in more than one place, that David Tennant as Crowley and Martin Sheen as Aziraphale are exactly as perfect as David Tennant as Aziraphale and Martin Sheen as Crowley. In an interview, they joked that they would like to make a Good Omens stage show, so that they could swap roles from night to night as they felt like it. I think that would be fun to watch, even if the TV is pretty spot on.
    You weren't there.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Do these series come on DVD at some point? I am not a movie/video person, but I would definitely buy that set.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Probably at some point. They're on Amazon Prime Video now and will be on the BBC in ~6 months, and in the past similar shows who have done that have come out on DVD soon thereafter.
    You weren't there.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm about halfway through and loving it. Strongly agree re perfect casting, especially of Azirophale and Crowley.

One niggle with the books I've always had, though:

Spoiler
    Show

In the real world, pestilence never really went away, of course. Infectious diseases still kill more than 10 million people a year. At least as many as pollution, and many more than famine or war.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2019-06-02 at 06:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the real world, pestilence never really went away, of course. Infectious diseases still kill more than 10 million people a year. At least as many as pollution, and many more than famine or war.
    I recall that this was briefly mentioned in the book? Something about...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Pestilence never really went away, but just Got With The Times. When the book was written in the early 1990's, global warming was a huge thing in the news headlines, more so even than today, and with the innovations in hygiene, public amenities and vaccine technology over the last 100 years Pestilence just updated her image to include both things.

It also gives them the excuse to update and ride motorbikes rather than horses. It's something that Pratchett did a lot - in Discworld, most of his Gods were the same band of 15-20 people who wore different costumes and disguises, to pick up as many followers and portfolios as possible. Evidently he did the same thing in Good Omens
    You weren't there.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I recall that this was briefly mentioned in the book? Something about...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Pestilence never really went away, but just Got With The Times. When the book was written in the early 1990's, global warming was a huge thing in the news headlines, more so even than today, and with the innovations in hygiene, public amenities and vaccine technology over the last 100 years Pestilence just updated her image to include both things.

It also gives them the excuse to update and ride motorbikes rather than horses. It's something that Pratchett did a lot - in Discworld, most of his Gods were the same band of 15-20 people who wore different costumes and disguises, to pick up as many followers and portfolios as possible. Evidently he did the same thing in Good Omens
    As I recall in the book Pestilence retired muttering about antibiotics and was replaced by Pollution as the fourth horseman. Famine was the one who properly modernised, making fast food with no nutritional value and encouraging fad diets that were basically starvation.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I just finished watching the series. I rather liked it. I've read the novel a few times, but it's been years since my most recent reading.

I agree that the casting and acting in this is amazingly good.

Spoiler: spoilers for both the novel and the miniseries
    Show

There are some changes, omissions, and additions that seem to have been made to improve the translation to film. Overall, it works quite well.

I like the addition of Crowley/Aziraphale story for the series.

Some of the jokes aren't stated outright as in the novel, but are left in as Easter eggs. The soundtrack by Queen, for example. Also, Elvis is in the background but not mentioned.

The four human bikers who joined the Horsemen in the novel are left out. As funny as they were, I can understand leaving them out. The pacing is a bit slow in the back half, and introducing them and their jokes would add extra padding where the show needs it the least.

They also didn't go into War's backstory as a journalist, only mentioning her job once. The location of her delivery was changed, so we lose the vacationing couple at the unexpectedly war-torn Mediterranean resort island, too. I liked that part of the book, but once again, I can't fault the pacing of the way they adapted it.

One slight complaint I have is that the series gives Sister Mary Loquacious slightly short shrift. I feel they could have used narration to point out how badass she was in the years between the convent burning down and the story's present day.

Overall, though, I have no major complaints. It was very enjoyable to watch, and I'll be interested to hear how it's received by viewers who haven't read the novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think the only line from the text that I really missed was the description of Aziraphale, saying that to an outside observer he appeared "gayer than a barrel of monkeys on nitrous oxide". I understand why they left it out, but it still makes me giggle.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think the only line from the text that I really missed was the description of Aziraphale, saying that to an outside observer he appeared "gayer than a barrel of monkeys on nitrous oxide". I understand why they left it out, but it still makes me giggle.
    As someone who never read the book, I don't think they needed to state the obvious. also, I think they made up for it by by making the joke that Aziraphile and Crowley's argument about leaving sounds like a gay couple breaking up and Aziraphile being comforted by some random passerby.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-06-02 at 02:54 PM.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

The main line bit I was sad they left out was "I'LL CATCH UP". I get why the Other Horsemen were left out, but that scene felt very Discworld Death.
    Now with half the calories!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I liked it a lot. I last read the book about a year ago so i might be wrong but it feels like War and the kids (great band name) had a bigger role compared to the odd couple but the two of them were so great that I understand why they would focus on them more.

Now if Amazon wants to keep throwing money at Neil Gaiman he should do Anansi Boys next, and try to strike a tone halfway between Good Omens and American Gods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I also finally got around to watching the show after being a long time fan of the book.
    As everyone, I can't argue that the majority of the adaptation is great, in parts maybe even better than the book, because updated.

But... I have some issues with the ending.
    One is I'm just a little bit disappointed with Death. I guess I might be too much of a Discworld fan and expected something much closer... It just felt like all he did lacked... Gravitas?
    Overall the ending and the epilogue fell just a bit flat. Maybe because there was too much epilogue, maybe because I wanted Them vs the riders to be a bit more fleshed out (or that's how it felt)
    Not everything was bad but I feel like the last episode was the weakest to me.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, I read the book a long looong time ago. So long ago in fact I only remember the gist of it.

Still, the teaser looked great, I was hyped....and then I remembered its a Prime Only Series.

Suggs that I have been boykotting amazon successfully for 2.x years and dont intend to stop. maybe itll be on netflix in a year....yeah right...
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Suggs that I have been boykotting amazon successfully for 2.x years and dont intend to stop. maybe itll be on netflix in a year....yeah right...
    Apparently it will be on the BBC at some point - about 6 months, I think.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

My husband and I watched the first episode last night and we thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to watch more. So far we think it's quite a faithful adaptation of the book. David Tenant as Crowley is stealing the show. Missed part of the 'lullaby' because I was laughing too much in anticipation of what nonsense was going to come of it.

I went looking for the DVDs, just to see if they'd released them yet. I think they definitely plan to have some, because there was a pre-order option available on Amazon. Was also looking for DVDs of Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and couldn't decide which was more expensive, Amazon's copy, or BBC's copy plus shipping from the UK.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Watched it... it's okay.

First of all, I Find the pacing a bit problematic. It felt like they cut out a lot and much of it felt like it needed more time to build character.

Also, I don't think the narrator worked for me. Just telling the jokes into the camera is not how I think a comedy TV show should work.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Also, I don't think the narrator worked for me. Just telling the jokes into the camera is not how I think a comedy TV show should work.
    I agree.

I was holding off watching it because the reviews had been a little mixed and I've not been thrilled by previous adaptations of Pratchett's work. But I gave it a go and I'm glad I did. I suspect it helps that it's several years since I read the book so I'm probably not going to notice or get agitated by minor changes in dialogue or plot, and can therefore enjoy it for what it is.

I enjoyed it, but I did find it frequently very clunky, and the narrator in particular. I can see why the device was used: many of Pratchett's best jokes are in narrative, not in dialogue, so incorporating a narrative voice is the easiest way to preserve those jokes. It can work, as in Hitchhiker, and there's no particular reason it couldn't have worked here. Sometimes it did, generally when it was limited to exposition, but too often it was used for commentary. We shouldn't need a narrator to tell us what's happening on screen: that's bad filmcraft. It was most noticeable in the "naming of the Hellhound" scene but it cropped up repeatedly throughout the show.

There was also sometimes a little leadenness to certain scenes which seemed like they should be zippier. The flashback sequence showing us the history of the relationship between Aziriphale and Crowley felt like it was too long, in particular. I don't know whether this is a lack of faith in the audience (see also: American Gods, another flawed Gaiman adaptation) or just a need to fill space.

I have heard it suggested that some of the clunkiness might come from Gaiman's reluctance to adapt the work more aggressively, now that Pterry is no longer around to approve such changes. I don't know whether that's true but it would make sense.

Overall though I thought it was fun. It's just also a bit of a missed opportunity, because it did do a lot right.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So I just got through binging the series and I really liked it on the whole... buuuut I absolutely hated just about every scene with the kids in it. None of them felt like people, just wafer thin cut-outs who existed to progress the plot. And this was more than my usual aversion to child actors. I felt like it really was the writing rather than poor execution, not that the acting from the kids was anything to write home about.

Spoiler: The final episode was pretty lack-luster
    Show
    The battle at the air base was utter cringe and what they did to the horsemen was down right criminal. What the hell was War doing with the sword before Pepper stepped up and killed her? What the hell was Dog doing chewing on Famine's ankle? I thought the horsemen had a lot of potential from their introductions but to just turn them into walking corpses leaking puss and covered in open wounds, only to have each kid destroy them with a horrible one liner. Then don't get me started on death. He might have been awesome, but the moment he opened his helmet and I saw that horrible CGI, I was just "Nope, they're all god damned cartoons at this point!" I was really hoping there would be some poignant moment where Satan realizes that Adam is rebelling against him the way he rebelled against God, but if that happened it was all sub-text. And by sub-text I mean Satan called Adam rebellious and that was it.

And the whole premise of "we wired together every nuclear launch system in the world from some random mostly abandoned air base" was just so bad. It was literally worse than if they just said "War did it with magic." I get the feeling that maybe this was something that works better in the book based on 90s tech that just didn't translate very well into the 20 year time gap between the book and the series?

I've listened to about the first third of the book in audio format (but not very closely since I kept getting distracted and at least Pratchett is an author that I can't just listen casually to without losing the plot), so I really hope the book does better with characters that aren't our dynamic duo. Anyways, 8/10 would probably watch again, and need to get around to seriously consuming the book.

Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show
    I was really kinda hoping that Crowley and Aziraphale would survive their executions by the former having become just a bit angelic and the latter having become just a bit demonic, kinda like they allude to at the final meal. But the swap was alright too I guess. Also, weren't we shown that hellfire can discorporate demons in the show? Why does Crowley not have any issue standing in it? And why are the angels scared of it, since Hastur quite clearly survived his encounter with it?
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-06-25 at 12:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Spoiler: Epilogue
    Show
    I was really kinda hoping that Crowley and Aziraphale would survive their executions by the former having become just a bit angelic and the latter having become just a bit demonic, kinda like they allude to at the final meal. But the swap was alright too I guess. Also, weren't we shown that hellfire can discorporate demons in the show? Why does Crowley not have any issue standing in it? And why are the angels scared of it, since Hastur quite clearly survived his encounter with it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Discorporate still has them existing. Aziraphale gets discorporated, for example, but just goes right back to heaven. Holy water does not discorporate, it destroys, and it's implied hellfire destroys angels similarly, while hellfire affects demons as well as holy water affects angels. Which is to say, not at all.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I don't see any other shows that I'd even be vaguely interested in on amazon prime, so it seems to be a good thing to finally spend my 30-day free trial of it on.
    The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes) is on Amazon Prime and it’s one of the best French show of recent years. If you like spy thrillers, I recommend it.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes) is on Amazon Prime and it’s one of the best French show of recent years. If you like spy thrillers, I recommend it.
    Oh, I love French spy thrillers! Clousaeu is my favorite.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, I love French spy thrillers! Clousaeu is my favorite.
    Is that a Greek relative of Clouseau’s?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom