Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Magnetic dice

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Magnetic dice

    Do magnetic dice exist? I know they would be terrible for actual dice since the poles would probably be under certain numbers, but for a second I thought of them and they seemed cool.

    Maybe it would be better to have like a magnetic wall pad and regular metal dice, so you can roll by hucking your dice at a wall and watching them stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Between SEA and PDX.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Do magnetic dice exist? I know they would be terrible for actual dice since the poles would probably be under certain numbers, but for a second I thought of them and they seemed cool.

    Maybe it would be better to have like a magnetic wall pad and regular metal dice, so you can roll by hucking your dice at a wall and watching them stick.
    Yup. Just look them up on Etsy.

    Although people are on the same consensus as you are, that the poles would interfere with the randomness of the dice rolls.

    Your solution of a metal pad and steel dice would work perfectly.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-31 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

    5th Edition Homebrewery

    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Yup. Just look them up on Etsy.

    Although people are on the same consensus as you are, that the poles would interfere with the randomness of the dice rolls.

    Your solution of a metal pad and steel dice would work perfectly.
    Thank you! Granted it's a hazard for electronics and would invite all kinds of wear on the pad and dice, I'm glad someone else likes the idea of rolling in a direction other than down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Thank you! Granted it's a hazard for electronics and would invite all kinds of wear on the pad and dice, I'm glad someone else likes the idea of rolling in a direction other than down!
    Well, throwing dice at the GM is already an established practice. Might as well make it official by magnetizing the GM screen ^^

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    Well, throwing dice at the GM is already an established practice. Might as well make it official by magnetizing the GM screen ^^
    Maybe this was a bad idea. It's going to lead to escalation when the DM throws steel books. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Magnetize your ceiling and throw your dices up.

    Can't lose your dice under the couch if it's stuck on the ceiling!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Throwing metal dice up, with enough force to hit the ceiling? Yeah, what could possibly go wrong ^^

    It would be a solution for the 4-sider "caltrop", though
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2019-06-06 at 04:21 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Although people are on the same consensus as you are, that the poles would interfere with the randomness of the dice rolls.

    Your solution of a metal pad and steel dice would work perfectly.
    Would still affect the randomness of the "roll" though. You'd just be throwing dice in the way you want to score.

    This is why the bouncing around on the surface is important. Anything that makes it "stick" would interfere with being a "random roll". (In so far ignoring that most players are no where near "casino random" anyway).


    In table top gaming we wouldn't really consider it a roll if the dice doens't "bounce" a bit. It'd basically be placing them down. You can get a similar effect when rolling like 40 dice in a go on a small area and suddenly a bunch of them mostly just stack on each other or some such.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Magnetic dice

    Also, how likely are your dice to actually stick to your magnetic pad? If you toss them hard, they will bounce off. If you toss them soft, will they get enough "tumble" to be random?

    If you really want to use steel dice and a magnetic "dice box", I'd recommend a tumbling cup (all dice rolled must be tumbled for at least 3 seconds before rolling) and a dice pad on top of your playing surface.
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    tongue Re: Magnetic dice

    Part of my (silly) idea in the magnetic dice pad and really THROWING the dice was that if you're throwing a die like three feet to make it stick somewhere, the air travel would introduce a level of randomness.

    If someone can throw a d20 into a wall and have the 20 always facing them, they deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •