New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Helping focus on Lion's Den

Hello there. Been toying with a concept for a monk: essentially, a focused user of something vaguely resembling an over-the-top version of judo. My current plan is to go Centered Breath, look for every method to improve the amount I can slide around enemies, then use Lion's Den to produce damage by moving all my enemies in a circle around me.

The problem being, the damage from Lion's Den is hard to boost, at least the 'damage per square slid' portion. A big part of this comes from the fact that, while it is doing damage with an implement attack power, it's not a damage roll (instead being flat), so normal damage boosts can't help it.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this issue? As of yet, I know of the good old Werewolf+Claw Gloves cheese, but I'd rather not rely on something so blatantly abusive (and requiring Dragon mag to boot).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Helping focus on Lion's Den

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to fix this issue? As of yet, I know of the good old Werewolf+Claw Gloves cheese, but I'd rather not rely on something so blatantly abusive (and requiring Dragon mag to boot).
    You might have a look at this thread for ideas.
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hello there. Been toying with a concept for a monk: essentially, a focused user of something vaguely resembling an over-the-top version of judo. My current plan is to go Centered Breath, look for every method to improve the amount I can slide around enemies, then use Lion's Den to produce damage by moving all my enemies in a circle around me.

The problem being, the damage from Lion's Den is hard to boost, at least the 'damage per square slid' portion. A big part of this comes from the fact that, while it is doing damage with an implement attack power, it's not a damage roll (instead being flat), so normal damage boosts can't help it.

Um...You can make it into a striker-esque power with WereX+Claw Gloves or typing damage+adding vulnerability to that damage(Radiant Fist, Serifal Feywarden, etc...). You can increase targeting via Starblade Flurry and Unseen Hand and a couple of other ways.

But the damage ping of Lion's Den is going to be limited to just once a turn on a single enemy. You can't apply it to multiple ones, even if you slide multiple opponents around you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Um...You can make it into a striker-esque power with WereX+Claw Gloves or typing damage+adding vulnerability to that damage(Radiant Fist, Serifal Feywarden, etc...). You can increase targeting via Starblade Flurry and Unseen Hand and a couple of other ways.

But the damage ping of Lion's Den is going to be limited to just once a turn on a single enemy. You can't apply it to multiple ones, even if you slide multiple opponents around you.
    Huh? Where's that come from? Looking it up, the relevant text is as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Power
    Until the start of your next turn, as a free action, you can deal damage equal to your Constitution modifier to any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you
    There isn't a limit on free actions, and it's 'any enemy', not just the ones I hit.

Was there some errata to it?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, yes: Add “once per turn” in front of “as a free action” in the second sentence of the Hit entry.

I only know of one similar power that escaped the 'once per turn' errata, but there's a good reason that they were nerfed. The game kinda stops being fun for the rest of the table if you can one hit kill just about the entire board on your first turn. Not like it's impossible to do that now, but at least it's not as modular and easy as the usual 'Blender' type characters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huh? Where's that come from? Looking it up, the relevant text is as follows:

There isn't a limit on free actions, and it's 'any enemy', not just the ones I hit.

As noted, it was errata'd to be once a turn, period. Also, there is a limit to free actions, based on what the DM wants it to be. In any case, Lion's Den with WereX+Claw Gloves can easily do 1d6+Dex+1d10+bonuses+Wis+2+1d10+Con+1d10. Which is 1d6+Dex+Wis+2+Con+3d10+bonuses. At 11th level, that can easily be 1d6+6+2+2+1+16.5+bonuses. Make it a +3 weapon/ki focus, +2 iron armbands, +2 implement feat and that's an average of 38 damage from an at-will...