New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: The system(s) you always wanted to play...

So would someone be interested if I ran a Fate game?
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alas, I am trying to get a Blade game of the ground, otherwise I would consider.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Spelljammer. I really want to play Spelljammer.

Also Palladium's Robotech. Not because of the system, but because I'd love to play Robotech!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    So would someone be interested if I ran a Fate game?
    I'm nearly always interested in a Fate game.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Pretty broad swath of non-RIFTS Palladium for me, especially TMNT&OS.

I have played some Barbarians of Lemuria, but not nearly enough.

I need to figure out... how to combine TMNT&OS with BoL. Or just wait until FERAL RPG launches.

I'd really like to play a game of D&D starting in B and ending in I.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Spelljammer. I really want to play Spelljammer.
    If you want it bad enough to endure some very bizarre interpretations of the setting, maybe you should message me some time.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Also Palladium's Robotech. Not because of the system, but because I'd love to play Robotech!
    Oooh, nice choice!

1E Robotech and 1E Beyond the Supernatural. Got me interested in Palladium's stuff. I've never played, but I sure have mined it for ideas over the decades.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Oooh, nice choice!

1E Robotech and 1E Beyond the Supernatural. Got me interested in Palladium's stuff. I've never played, but I sure have mined it for ideas over the decades.
    I loved the Beyond the Supernatural book...it spawned several game ideas (in other systems) for me! In that sense similar to the Everlasting books I mentioned.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

8. - Top - End - #38

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    I loved the Beyond the Supernatural book...it spawned several game ideas (in other systems) for me! In that sense similar to the Everlasting books I mentioned.

- M
    So very, very much so. I cannot count the hours I spent reading the ruins and ley lines and history section.

Fun fact: in 2005, my wife, myself, and a dozen friends started planning a trip to England. People wanted to see Stonehenge, but the number of tourists and security shot that idea down. I gleefully suggested Avesbury as an alternative. SOLD!

Spent a half-day wandering around a village inna stone circle with a 1000 year-old church because of a gaming book I bought as a teenager.

SCORE!

9. - Top - End - #39

Beholder

Savage World's Rifts. I own the books. But I cannot convince my friends to play the game.

Also Dark Heresy. Oh I've run the game. Great fun. But I've never played in it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Oooh, nice choice!

Ever check out the fan-made Third Invid War stuff by Dave Deitrich? Pretty cool stuff there! It's no longer up, but you might be able to find it on the Wayback Machine. Which is currently undergoing maintenance...

Edit: Wayback Machine is back up: www.steelfalcon.com/
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-07-12 at 12:16 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #41

EvilClericGuy

Ever check out the fan-made Third Invid War stuff by Dave Deitrich? Pretty cool stuff there! It's no longer up, but you might be able to find it on the Wayback Machine. Which is currently undergoing maintenance...
    www.stealfalcon.com was an old friend before it was relegated to the Wayback Machine.

I would choose to go a different route with my 1E Robotech RPG stuff, but it was a well designed setting, site, and materials.

12. - Top - End - #42

DruidGuy

There are a few systems I'd like to try, mostly older ones that I didn't get to back in the day.

Ones like Ars Magica, Paranoia and a few of the 2nd Ed D&D settings; Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape.

13. - Top - End - #43

I've always wanted to try out Paranoia and Kult, but I never found a group to play with for those.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

14. - Top - End - #44

BardGuy

Oh, and another campaign I'd like to be involved in ...
    Troupe style Battletech/mechwarrior (or maybe a different system). The party make up a platoon (or squad or troop or whatever) of tanks including PCs as the crew of each tank.
    For example, each tank has 4 crew - a commander, driver, engineer and gunner. Each of the 4 players creates one character of each type and has one character in each tank.
    Some adventures would be for one tank crew, some just for the engineers (or drivers etc) and some would be for an assortment - "Everyone choose a character to be in the bar when this happens..."
    Last edited by Duff; 2019-06-26 at 09:00 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

How could I forget another "always wanted to play"...Mutant Chronicles.

Played tons of Doomtrooper, Warzone, the various board games...but never MC RPG.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

16. - Top - End - #46
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Paranoia
    The original Gamma World (TSR, not WotC).
    Crimefighters! (Dragon Magazine— played once, wanted to play more. Great little system for pulp settings.)
    DC Heroes (Mayfair, IIRC)— wanted to experience how the system worked, though I wound up going with MSH FASERIP.
    Space 1889

Honorable mentions as semi-RPGs:
    Heroquest
    Warhammer Quest (original)
    “New rule! DON’T PICK UP THE EVIL NECROSTICK!”— One of my teen players.
    So of course, one of the others immediately did.

17. - Top - End - #47

I remembered another system I wanted to play: Spellbound Kingdoms, a black powder fantasy game with a combat system featuring very different, dynamic fighting styles (the free combat primer gives a good idea of how it works. It also has things like inspirations that help in combat and that you can attack outside of combat in social situations so that your enemy becomes easier to defeat.

18. - Top - End - #48

I got super pumped to play queens cavaliers, a Victorian clock punk setting where the rules of fashion dictated how effective your magic clothing was. It had lots of things I was interested to try. Unfortunately the author was having a bad time and it never reached print. It might be available for free online now but, my gaming group broke up.

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Nobilis. Always wanted to play it, but man, it will be hard to find a GM for that. I don't even feel adequate enough to GM it.
    It's actually not all that intimidating to GM (3e, at least). Unfortunately, I lost my cheat-sheet that I handed out to my players in the shuffle of moving (that was two computers ago...) The rough part was character creation - people loved the lifepath thing, but then hit the wall of "Spend points on things and create your own powers. Handholding? Examples? Those are for lesser games!". Once we got into the game itself, people got into the swing of things.

I think Chuubo's has a better implementation of a lot of the rules concepts (advancement and character creation are much simpler, mundane intentions actually matter, etc), but I like Nobilis' setting more.

Give it a go - the world needs more Nobilizers!

---

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    Technoir is such a novel concept, in dealing with adjectives instead of numbers for damage, but I don't think I have a group that could work it.
    Technoir actually runs really smoothly at the table. Like, silky smooth. I'd give it a shot (or, at least, try to generate some hype about it) - unless the issue is that you have a playgroup that doesn't like cyberpunk noir.

---

Anyway, I'd really like to actually sit down and play Makeyuu Kingdom one of these days. Ooh, and Unknown Armies (most of the people I've gamed with aren't as interested in weird horror as I am ). And Legends of the Wulin. Other than that, I have a list of indie games a mile long (still want to play Dogs in the Vineyard and Don't Rest Your Head...)

I also wish Dreaming Waters was finished (there's a draft floating around the internet - it's a really interesting urban fantasy/high fantasy game by the same person who wrote Nobilis. Too bad it doesn't really have character creation/advancement rules...)
    Last edited by Amechra; 2019-07-12 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

1. TOON. I've run it, but never played it.
    2. Pendragon. Ditto.
    3. Bushido.
    4. Monsters! Monsters!
    5. En Garde!

And, as the guiltiest of guilty pleasures:
    6. Arduin.

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

Technoir actually runs really smoothly at the table. Like, silky smooth. I'd give it a shot (or, at least, try to generate some hype about it) - unless the issue is that you have a playgroup that doesn't like cyberpunk noir.
    The main issue is that a lot of people I play with tend to be more "I do the biggest number and I need the numbers to go up" type of players. They take to dungeon crawls well enough, but some get bored when it's time for talking. Might end up giving it a go one day though. It's such a weird concept that I want to play around in.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

System(s) I always wanted to play? I always GM. But my list of games to play would look like this:

• Riddle of Steel
    • Blade of the Iron Throne
    • Burning Wheel (ideally something with Duel of Wits)
    • Paranoia (Hands up, commie mutant traitor!)
    • En Garde! (I tried to start few games, but they never took off; too passive players, too much work)
    • Torchbearer (I'd so die in the dungeon!)
    • Traveller (system's not the reason - but it does its work)
    • Ryuutama (can't resist the cute-simple-walking RPG)
    • One Ring (who doesn't want to go hiking with hobbits?)
    • Reign (nice ruleset, love even the random character generation)
    • Hârn (not really for the system, but for the rulesets for Manors, etc.)
    • Broken Synapses (perfect for noir cyberpunk one-shot)
    • Aces & Eights (just for few duels & shootouts)
    • Twilight (the post-apocalyptic survival RPG, not the sparkly-desecration-of-vampire-literature)
    • TOON (I wanna play a sloth that is basically Wile E. Coyote!)
    • Pendragon (seems like good mix of knights and manors)
    • Don't Rest Your Head (love the horror vibe, did not really read the rules)
    • Ars Magica (for the troupe-style of play - and I like the idea of long-run decisions)
    • Blades in the Dark (I have the book, just skimmed it and it looked rather neat; it does everything I like about Shadowrun but without the "too much rules to run smoothly" part)

At certain times of my life I am also willing to run these, but this is not the time

@Duff: love the idea with Mechwarrior/Battletech. I tried to convince my friends to run a bit more "long-term" game focused on building a mercenary company (starting small, going through battles, paying for repairs... the whole management schtick) but ultimately they just wanted to do arena battles. But troupe-style of play would suit this really nice.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

+n for Pendragon. It is on my bucket list, but . . .

Also, PDQ (in particular, Jaws of the Six Serpents, which I got to run as a one shot, but never played). I even made characters for it. Ah well.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dogs in the Vineyard.
    Polaris.
    Bluebeard Bride.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

I've run Paranoia, Traveller, Dungeons the Dragoning, non-FR D&D, Rifts, Champions, and several other things. I'd love to play all of those too.

I'd also like to play semi-decently DMed Pendragon, Elric, Warhammer Fantasy, Robotech, BattleTech, D&D 5e, etc. that lasted more than two sessions.

I'd love to play several of the OSRs, several more sci-fi games, Amber Diceless, 1e/2e Gamma World, and the various more narrative games that keep being regularly mentioned around here.

Alas, in my area for the past 20 years if it wasn't a d20/D&D knock-off, bog standard Forgettable Realms D&D, or a badly mangled module from a novice DM, I ran it.
    Last edited by Telok; 2019-07-28 at 05:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva View Post
    Dogs in the Vineyard.
    Polaris.
    Bluebeard Bride.
    I'm with you on all of these. My issue with Bluebeard's Bride (and Unknown Armies, and Monsterhearts, and...) is that I primarily game with strangers.

And those kinds of games are risky with strangers.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I'm with you on all of these. My issue with Bluebeard's Bride (and Unknown Armies, and Monsterhearts, and...) is that I primarily game with strangers.

And those kinds of games are risky with strangers.
    I agree they require a higher level of familiarity and trust among players, yes. Otherwise you risk stepping on issues that a player is sensible to and this could ruin the session for him/her, and to everybody by extension.

It's not so different from dealing with films, books or videogames with mature or controversial themes. I wouldn't reccommend Papers, PLease! or What Remains of Edith Finch to all my friends, even if I love those games.
    Last edited by Silva; 2019-08-01 at 09:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

There's a few for me, that tend to fall into a few different categories. Category 1 is the rules heavy game that I don't want to GM because of the crunch but would love to play, and haven't gotten to because I'm pretty much a permanent GM. Category 2 is the small set of games where I probably have one run session, but enough sufficiently core players didn't like them that I'm out of luck. Category 3 is the ones sufficiently weird to be intimidating that I haven't gotten to yet. There's also a fourth category of recently discovered games that look really cool that I'd like to break out at some point, which don't apply. Yet.

Category 1

Burning Wheel - Burning Wheel is in a weird place for me. It's made of a bunch of things I tend to hate individually, but it still looks really cool and I'd love to give it a shot. There's just no way I'm running that thing.

Torchbearer - Basically the same deal as BW here, except that not only is it crunchier it's in a weird style that doesn't play to my strengths. The slow grind that wears down the PCs has never really been how I operate, which is actually part of the appeal here in the context of someone else running it.

Ars Magica - I've stolen basically every concept from this separately at some point or other, but I've never actually run it. There's some serious accounting that goes into some of the subsystems though, including experience. Plus the troupe play provides more as a player than a GM anyways.

Legends of the Wulin - LotW is an intricate system that does a lot of cool things, and it honestly isn't that complex. It's just a bit much to run off a pdf, and copies of the actual physical book always seem to run high.

Qin: The Warring States - I've technically done a tiny bit of this, and I'd actually be down to GM it given a group that would learn mechanics from a book instead of just learning (some of) them from me. In the context of handling all the mechanics for the whole group though it's just a bit too crunchy. Again, I've stolen large sections.

Category 2
    Warbirds - I've GMed a little of this, but I want to run a proper campaign in it. It's also one of very, very few games where I'd want to use the setting and not just pilfer mechanics.

Smallville - I can make Cortex happen. I'm making Cortex happen right now (in that there's an ongoing game, I'm not actually running it for until next Thursday). I just don't have the group for this, and never have, it's too heavy on drama and too light on action.

Shock: Social Science Fiction - This is in the hard storygame side, and seems really cool. It's probably not something I'd want to play often, but sometimes just going for philosophical science fiction seems really fun.

Category 3
    Nobilis - Jenna Moran is clearly brilliant, and she's clearly especially enthusiastic about some weird fringe subjects. That combines to form a fascinating game which is pretty intimidating to actually bring out to the table.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine - This is arguably more of a category 2 in a lot of ways, but there's a very unorthodox structure there which looks like it would take some getting used to. There's a few other games I'd want to run first, to work up to it.

Bhailodam - This is just bizarre and uncomprehensible. A friend gave it to me because it was sufficiently weird that I seemed like the most likely person in the group to crack it, and I mostly have; it's just a bit much to keep track of. Absent several mechanically minded players to help out though it's still a bit much to bring to the table.

Grey Ranks - Grey Ranks is less weird and more unrelentingly bleak. The combination of that being a hard tone to strike and the seriousness of the material involved making me want to really do right by it if I do it at all has left this on the digital shelf, probably to never get brought out.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2019-08-01 at 09:55 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Nobilis - Jenna Moran is clearly brilliant, and she's clearly especially enthusiastic about some weird fringe subjects. That combines to form a fascinating game which is pretty intimidating to actually bring out to the table.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine - This is arguably more of a category 2 in a lot of ways, but there's a very unorthodox structure there which looks like it would take some getting used to. There's a few other games I'd want to run first, to work up to it.
    Nobilis has two main obstacles to play: first off, character creation is a bit much (Gifts are a little too freeform, and the lifepath in 3e only really interacts with the Quest subsystem) and two, the XP system is the worst (it's horribly obtuse and basically seems like it was thrown in as an afterthought). The actual nitty-gritty parts of the system? You could probably fit it on two double-sided pieces of paper.

Chuubo's fixes both of those issues, and is less weird at the table than you'd think. Then again, I'm biased - the way the skill system interacts with resolution is basically my favorite thing ever, mechanics-wise.

---

As for Bhaloidam... man, I'd love to get a copy of the handbook for that - it sounds hilariously obtuse. Unfortunately, their site (which had free copies) is down, and the Wayback Machine only has non-functional snapshots.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dunno if it's even been invented, but I would like to try a swashbuckling game with a intricate, yet fast to play, fencing system/mini-game.
    Rolling a D20 doesn't quite do it for me, if we're imagining Jack Sparrow vs. D'Artagnan. Perhaps a card system, or some special dice, or maybe even puzzle-quest like mechanics.
    Last edited by Misereor; 2019-08-05 at 05:36 AM.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -