New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default The system(s) you always wanted to play...

When it comes to RPGs, it seems like there’s loads of systems, something for every tastes. In theory. For those of us who aren’t tied in to a surprisingly hard core and large RPG group, it becomes difficult to find a game outside the “Giants in the Playground” as it were.

So, what are the systems that you always wanted to play - the ones that were fascinating but you could never get a group for, the ones you got through six sessions in one campaign and never saw again even though those six sessions were more fun than three dozen sessions in some others, you know the ones. The ones you maybe, secretly, still have the book for even though the odds of ever finding a group for it seem slim to none?

Let us know. I’ll start with an example:

Burning Iron: It uses the burning wheel mechanics for large scale political and military action to tell semi-feudal space opera as the PCs fight to prevent brainjacking worms from slowly infiltrating, seizing the institutions of power, and eventually leading a full scale invasion on the compromised planet. Alas, I’ve never played.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The system(s) you always wanted to play...

Vital Hearts. It's a newer game by the people who did Ironclaw, for a .Hack/InuYasha/SAO "Other worlds" type game, particularly one where jumping between the real world and game world is a regular thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Blades in the Dark is a game that's been talked about a lot, has a small but vocal following, but I cannot get a game going with my groups.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nobilis. Always wanted to play it, but man, it will be hard to find a GM for that. I don't even feel adequate enough to GM it.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Blades in the Dark is a game that's been talked about a lot, has a small but vocal following, but I cannot get a game going with my groups.
    I really enjoy Blades, but it falls apart really easily. I'd like to think my group is pretty good at RPGs, but the games, in my opinion, relies on a serious and focused group. Success is a luxury in Blades and taking actions because it'd be funny can result in a failure that compromises the entire mission and the game becomes unfun really quickly when your crew has too much heat.

Even though it's a big-box game, and not quite a normal RPG, I've been champing at the bit to play Gloomhaven. It looks so good, but I can't afford to invest in it.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'd still love to GM a WFRP Border Princes campaign.

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

As a common theme, most of these systems sound like they need a comparatively mature/dedicated/socially adept group. Maybe that’s the limiting factor...

Re: Nobilis. I saw that in TvTropes and it sounds fascinating. Your entire group would have to be on the freakin money for it to work, but if it did that would be spectacular. Undermining the God of Clocks (or whoever) through clever design and fundamental re-imagining of reality? Glorious.

Re: Blades in the dark. Never heard of this before. Interesting looking conceit for sure. Given the number of “hanger” or “criminal” campaigns I’ve seen that didn’t get the feel right because the system was off, it could definitely be a good one.

Re: WFRP. Oh man. Ever since playing and then GMing dark heresy for a year, this has been on my list of ones to hit at some point. I’m thinking that given the popularity of the source and that it has lots of combat bits, it’s a strong contender to get a group together for.

Also, allow me to add another.

Blade on the Iron Throne. High risk, player skill influenced, accurate combat in a system designed for gritty low fantasy. Looks like a GMs dream for creating human scale campaigns where characters can still be protagonists without evolving into small gods.

8. - Top - End - #8

EvilClericGuy

Marvel Super Heroes, the FASERIP version from the 80s. Got to play one short campaign; pure awesomeness. I'd love to play again.

2E ADND Al-Qadim. I played a bunch of it when it first came out; I haven't played since. I've read the entire setting multiple times now, and I love it even more. I love it enough to have DM's an on/off campaign for the last 15 years. But I want to *play.*

ETA: In Nomine, the SJGames version. Loved that community while it was active. Sad it's passed.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2019-06-04 at 02:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I really want to play Exalted 3e again, but I'd have a hard enough time getting my current groups comfortable enough with the rules to play, much less get someone to run it. Mage (any version) is in a similar boat.

I keep wanting to do some Fiasco nights, but those have never come together.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

10. - Top - End - #10

• deadEarth: a post-apocalyptic game of randomly-generated mutants, one of the most notable things about this game is how character creation is a long an sorted process where you rack up crazy mutations and might possibly die before you even start playing. The reason I never ran it is because there are no rules for NPCs or sample NPCs, so you have to use the same convoluted process for PC creation for each and every single NPC, and there's no character-builder tool out there as far as I'm aware. So not going to happen.
    • Dungeon World: I have a reasonable amount of experience playing in Apocalypse World games, and even some with a hack of Dungeon World (I think it was Freebooters on the Frontier), but I haven't played Dungeon World itself, nor have I been able to run it, though I think I might be able to create the opportunity to in the future.
    • Fate Core: I've had a couple of sessions of experience with the system, and also Dresden Files, but that was back in the D&D 4e era with a GM only really familiar with running 4e, so he didn't really grok narrative conceits like the Contacts skill, and we didn't end up using any Fate points really, I think because he built challenges to be able to be overcome by our skill levels alone. I think I could also run this one if I ordered a bunch of Fate dice.
    • Mazes & Minotaurs: a game that imagines what it would be like if the creator of the original roleplaying game had been really into Greek mythology instead of medieval fantasy. I like how it goes beyond creating just a single work of parody to over time having released several supplements and magazines to really properly recreate the cultural context in which D&D emerged over time, while creating a rule set that's actually quite different from it, with much more modern sensibilities about coherent design while still retaining the gonzo-style of early D&D.
    • Mutant Future with The Metamorphica: I might be willing to sub out Mutant Future for another post-apocalyptic system, since really my whole idea here is to use the random tables from the Metamorphica to create wacky mutants, and ideally add in means to increase the incidence of gaining new mutations. Probably more suited for a short adventure, but a fun one, where we just see where the randomness takes us.
    • Songbirds; I've read through this game several times and I'm still not quite sure I know conceptually what a player character is or what's going on with this setting. It feels like a poem written in the language of tabletop rpg rules. Really, the only thing I kind of don't like about it is how some of the rules reference out of game stuff,like objects that are in the room that you're playing in, or the state of inebriation of a player, though I suppose maybe drinking alcohol could be replaced with drinking something bad-tasting instead, or something like that.
    • any Star Wars rpg: Fantasy Flight, Saga Edition, D6, I don't really care that much about the specific system. i just have never played a Star Wars rpg and would really like to.
    • Talislanta:The game has a crazy world with tons of weird races and stuff, and the base resolution system is a neat thing where complete novices can fumble, but someone with enough skill basically becomes immune to fumbles unless they're trying something really difficult, and there are other nice design elements like that for a game of its age, though earlier editions especially have some weird rules, which may be confusing at first and not to everyone's taste.

Also, up until recently, Stars Without Number would have been on this list, but I've gotten a chance to run it recently (I had originally considered running Dungeon World for my group, but I felt it was too thematically close to D&D to be a break from our regular game). Granted, we didn't have too many sessions before we returned to D&D, but I got enough experience to say I tried it out, and I'm kind of glad I have some time to work things out before we return to it again, since I started it out as a one-shot that ballooned out into a few more sessions, so I'd like to nail down a few concepts of what our campaign is about before we get back to it.

11. - Top - End - #11

C°ntinuum: roleplaying in the Yet isn't a game I want to play, but it is a game I want to have played.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

12. - Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

How was Stars Without Number? Faithful traveler type thing or?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by KineticDiplomat View Post
    How was Stars Without Number? Faithful traveler type thing or?
    Unfortunately I don't have any actual experience with Traveller to really say what's the same or different.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

In Nomine.

There's plenty I got a taste of, but what to play more, but I think this one is the game that is highest on my never-tried list.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

15. - Top - End - #15

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    In Nomine.

There's plenty I got a taste of, but what to play more, but I think this one is the game that is highest on my never-tried list.

- M
    Oh, that's good! The original CROC version, or the SJGames adaptation from the late 90s?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Oh, that's good! The original CROC version, or the SJGames adaptation from the late 90s?
    The one that I knew was SJG...but I reckon I'd like either!

- M

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    The one that I knew was SJG...but I reckon I'd like either!

- M
    CROC is the original, French, parody game. The tone between it and SJG's version is...immense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    CROC is the original, French, parody game. The tone between it and SJG's version is...immense.
    In that case I'll take SJG first.

- M

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Ah... so many I want to try, I'm sure I'll forget some!

Star Trek Adventures - This I'm sure I'd be able to find interested parties for, though I haven't shelled out the hard-earned cash for it yet.
    Dungeon Crawl Classics - This... I think would take a certain frame of mind from the group to play. But something appeals to me about the "Play the hand you're dealt" style it has.
    Dungeons the Dragoning 40K 7.5th Edition - A long-time entry on my bucket list. Of course appeals to my more gonzo sensibilities.
    Dungeon World / Adventures on Dungeon Planet - I have run DW fairly successfully, it fits with my more improv style of DMing. I would just like to be a player in it for once. And maybe try Dungeon Planet, the pulp sci-fi hack.
    Fate/FAE - Another system I want to give a try to, whether that's an established variant like Atomic Robo, Mindjammers, or Dresden Files; or something I've come up with myself. (Almost ran a one-shot in a setting of my creation, but it didn't pan out.)
    13th Age - A lot of neat mechanics in this one that I would like to try out. And I REALLY want to do Eyes of the Stone Thief at some point.
    Golden Sky Stories - I kind of want to try this one just as a contrast to everything else. A Studio Ghibli inspired, slice-of-life, magical realism, pastoral setting, and a diceless system that revolves around personal relationships? A nice change of pace! It's hard to find a group that would want to play though...
    Lasers & Feelings - Trying to convince my IRL group to try this for a oneshot while our regular DM is away.
    Ghostbusters - My interest in this comes and goes, but I kinda want to do it for a Hallowe'en oneshot.

As for ones that I'd like to take a second try at, FFG's Star Wars system and Starfinder top the list. I didn't get a good exposure to how SW was supposed to work (the guy running it at the 'con didn't use the threat/advantage system because it was "too complicated for beginners"), and I had a really bad experience with Starfinder (...I am NEVER going to touch the Solarian class ever again. And never taking the Captain role on a starship either.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My wife got the Dragon Age RPG while at a library convention but we have not gottne to play it yet. I would like to though.

Game seems like it could be fun though I worry that one of its cooler aspects (stunts) may also be limiting the system too much when you do not get to use them that it may make the system boring. Still going to give it a try to see.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    What RPG's do you wish you had played but never got to?
    My list would be:
    1) King Arthur Pendragon
    2) Castle Falkenstien
    3) Post 1e AD&D editions of D&D
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    ...Games I've never played but want to?
    1) Pendragon
    2) Flashing Blades
    3) Castle Falkenstein (the setting just looks so fun!).
    4) Dungeon World.
    5) All the various other versions of D&D that I haven't yet played including the "retroclones", "homebrews" etc.
    6) All the "Fantasy Heartbreakers"...

Well since than I played some 5e D&D, and I really like it, especially at first level (the additional abilities at higher levels confuses me).

Also, more than 30 years after I first bought the rules I finally got to play me some King Arthur Pendragon and...

...first the negatives:
    Creating a Player Knight was much more of a chore than when I was a teenager, the "character creation mini-game" just isn't that fun for me anymore.

And the positives?

I loved it, best RPG ever!

I want more!

Now that I've tried it Pendragon still tops my "Want to play" list, even though there's others I want to try, except for the toil of character creation, it didn't disappoint.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    C°ntinuum: roleplaying in the Yet isn't a game I want to play, but it is a game I want to have played.
    I second this. Amongst other games I would love to play is Mage, Psionics: The Next Stage of Human Evolution, Blades in the Dark, Shadowrun (any Edition), a long term Exalted game (either 2e but probably 3e as it's not so confusing) Godbound, there are lots of games I want to play.

If anyone is interested, I'm willing to do a game swap here, so if someone has a game system they really want to play in (the above ones I've all run games for, but not played in), even if it's one I'm not familiar with, I'm willing to learn it to run it.

Dan

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lots of games these days..

The Spire
    Kult: Divinity Lost
    Vampire 5e
    Beyond the Wall
    Masks: a New Generation
    Runequest: Glorantha

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

• Fate - I have the system and it looks fun. Prefer Dresdon Files but any would be fun I think.
    • Something recent in a post apocalyptic genre - I played Twilight 2000 a little and it was fun but a newer system would no doubt be easier to use.
    • Something PBtA - I know they're quite different, Dungeon World might be the best fit for the group I play with. But the basic concept is interesting and I have broad taste in genre and game style

I'm finally getting to play a 3 Musketeers era character I've wanted to play since early this Century! Victoriana is the system.

And Campaigns I want to play -
    • Pendragon running long enough to appreciate the generational aspect
    • Ars Magic running long enough that characters enter final twilight or die - so getting into Winter, rather than get bored or TPK in summer
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

25. - Top - End - #25

WolfInSheepsClothing

ShadowImmor, I'm not running any Shadowrun games right now, but if you don't mind internet gaming I know at least one consistent internet GM. Think he's doing PbP mostly these days, but he ran a three year weekly meetingcampaign. He lioves the stuff. If you're interested, I'll ask him if he running anything that has a gap.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Seconded.

Also want to try:

Numenera - A friend told me about the game some, as the setting sounded cool.

Ars Magica - The troupe style play seems interesting and the building of spells seems fun.

Dungeon World/The Sprawl - These might get played soon, as I have been building one shots in them, but I'm constantly second guessing and scrapping stuff and starting over, even though I like the core. It's hard to get in the right mindset for building the encounters.

Maybe a Savage Worlds or Mutants & Masterminds.

Technoir is such a novel concept, in dealing with adjectives instead of numbers for damage, but I don't think I have a group that could work it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I remembered another - The Everlasting. Not sure if it had a prayer of being a good game, but the two books I bought were a lot of fun to read. Troupe style (Jama mentioning Ars Magica reminded me of it), options to play virtually any creature type from myth, legend or media, multiple resolution systems so you can pick what you like. Interesting ideas, an indie game with high production quality before indie games were nearly so big as they were to later become.

- M

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Paranoia - My previous group in college was extremely PvE focused, and wouldn't have enjoyed the PvP half.
    And my current group is online, where it seems like it would be harder to run

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    • Something recent in a post apocalyptic genre - I played Twilight 2000 a little and it was fun but a newer system would no doubt be easier to use.
    • Something PBtA - I know they're quite different, Dungeon World might be the best fit for the group I play with. But the basic concept is interesting and I have broad taste in genre and game style
    Apocalypse World! Apocalypse World!

30. - Top - End - #30

Not so much a game I haven't played before, but...Naruto d20 for nostalgia's sake. It was the main rpg game that got me into PbP, but I can't seem to GM one satisfactorily to save my life.