New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The system(s) you always wanted to play...

A Fallout game after the GURPS system. I never actively tried to do so but with the people in my vicinity that have played Fallout and KNOW its lore, it is a wonder we never delved into that. I mean we tried to get into my DM's favorite setting, Warhammer (via Fantasy and Dark Heresy) too but no one was truly inspired enough to do so.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Paranoia. I know nothing about the mechanics, and I am staying away from them until after I've been a player. For many systems I've hit the ground running and jumped right into dm'ing, but this one I believe you can only ever experience for the first time once, and I don't want to be spoiled for it.

Fate. I just don't quite "get" how to make effective characters or run adventures with this, but it's intriguing. I'm not confident enough to run it, so either I'd have to play it with someone who knows what they're doing, get a good written adventure, or read a successful pbp.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misereor View Post
    Dunno if it's even been invented, but I would like to try a swashbuckling game with a intricate, yet fast to play, fencing system/mini-game.
    Rolling a D20 doesn't quite do it for me, if we're imagining Jack Sparrow vs. D'Artagnan. Perhaps a card system, or some special dice, or maybe even puzzle-quest like mechanics.
    I don't know anything about the system really, but I heard that Flashing Blades was a good Musketeer type of RPG:
    https://www.fantasygamesunlimited.ne...lashingblades/
    According to a review it is a d20 based game: http://rpgreview.net/node/186
    Though it does have rules for fencing: http://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/v...p?f=65&t=10500

Hope this helps!
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rredmond View Post
    I don't know anything about the system really, but I heard that Flashing Blades was a good Musketeer type of RPG:
    https://www.fantasygamesunlimited.ne...lashingblades/
    According to a review it is a d20 based game: http://rpgreview.net/node/186
    Though it does have rules for fencing: http://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/v...p?f=65&t=10500

Hope this helps!
    Definitely.
    It's old, but looks very promising. I'm gonna pick up the rule book and see if it's something our group would be interested in playing.
    Thanks a bunch, mate!
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely.
    It's old, but looks very promising. I'm gonna pick up the rule book and see if it's something our group would be interested in playing.
    Thanks a bunch, mate!
    Try out Riddle of Steel (or its successor Blade of the Iron Throne) with an open mind. The learning curve is impossibly steep if you try the whole combat system at once, but if you start with basic mechanics and start adding the advenced ones, you end up with fast-paced, mechanically deep and intricate, yet still very rewarding, deeply satisfying combat system.

With addition of Drama mechanics ("cool"/reroll points) and cinematic combat from Flower of Battle supplement you end up with fights straight from Three Musketeers/Pirates of Caribbean (think "duel at forge", not "threeway on mill wheel").

Advantage: basic combat mechanic can be learned in 10 minutes (initiative, combat pool, basic manuevers, wounds) of play; combats are relatively short (no "whacking at each other until one loses all HP") and very tense/exciting; easy to stat opponents; melee combatants and archers are the most interesting to play; perfect for duelling.

Disadvantage: you have to combine mechanics from 3 books to get to the ideal result; you have to do a few rulings (the books are quite old and have few points that are not addressed by RAW); bit more difficult to run large battles (GM has to keep track of lots of things - but can be done with the right preps); no working magical system (you can adapt one from the successor game); books may be a hell to get (no official source at the moment that I know of).
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Dunno if it's even been invented, but I would like to try a swashbuckling game with a intricate, yet fast to play, fencing system/mini-game.
    Rolling a D20 doesn't quite do it for me, if we're imagining Jack Sparrow vs. D'Artagnan. Perhaps a card system, or some special dice, or maybe even puzzle-quest like mechanics.
    I won't cast aspersions on the other fine recommendations, but you might also look at Honor + Intrigue. It's the most intricate combat system in any implementation of Barbarians of Lemuria, but as a BoL game it's guaranteed to be smooth and deadly.

7. - Top - End - #67

Definitely.
    Thanks a bunch, mate!
    I'm not really familiar mechanically with the other recommendations people have made for this, but I'll chime in and say that Spellbound Kingdoms might be worth checking out. There's a free combat primer that demonstrates how it works. Basically, you pick a maneuver each round that determines your attack and defense and has other effects, and what maneuvers you have each round is determined by the style you're using and what maneuver you used last round.

8. - Top - End - #68

WolfInSheepsClothing

I’ll throw in again for Blade if The Iron Throne for all your fencing needs. Ripostes, winding and binding, beats, expulsions, hooks, master-strikes, halfswording, murderstrokes, grappling, overruns, simple yet effective reach mechanics, the ability to “seven samurai” it where you both attack at once (hint, the faster guy usually lives) and so much more...sword fights feel like sword-fights, not some boring D&D “rolls D20 while the cool kids with magic have fun”.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

Albedo. The 1stvor 2nd editions, not the Platinum Catalyst version by Sanguine. I like the comic it's based on, and it's got a really fleshed-out setting and technology. Yeah, it's furry, and that's usually a no-go for me. But it's just so cool.

Alma Mater, the notorious High School roleplaying game. Just because.

The original Prime Directive, from Task Force Games. I really dig the mechanics. I'd love to get them to the table.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    I really want to play Exalted 3e again, but I'd have a hard enough time getting my current groups comfortable enough with the rules to play, much less get someone to run it. Mage (any version) is in a similar boat.
    This. so much this. my Exalted experience seems cursed to be almost purely hypothetical. and I doubt I'll ever play a game of Mage, Awakening or Ascension.

I also want to play Anima Beyond Fantasy. its the kind of anime I want to play. same with FFd20, Naruto d20, things like that.

I also second Nobilis, but not so much Chuubos. I'd have to understand Chuubos first. with Nobilis I can just be the Deceiver Excrucian edgelord/outcast character which, is not an uncommon archetype for me to play so it'll probably all flow from there.

I've had a few Fate games, but nothing long term, so I guess it counts.

I guess I'll throw Tenra Bansho Zero, OVA, and Shonen Final Burst in there as well.

Rocket Age, that'd be pretty good. 1930's Science! fun.

though to be honest, sometimes its less systems and more like specific characters I want to play but they didn't last all that long. it depends on my mood.

Edit: I looked at Mazes and Monsters from an earlier post. I like it better than actual DnD, its like the DBZA of DnD, its both loving and critical of its source material and improves upon on it in its own funny way.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-11 at 08:49 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Song of Swords is another spiritual successor of Riddle of Steel for those who want realistic martial combat. Whether it's better than Blade of the Iron Throne, I can't say.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Song of Swords is another spiritual successor of Riddle of Steel for those who want realistic martial combat. Whether it's better than Blade of the Iron Throne, I can't say.
    Blade of the Iron Throne is based on the old Sword & Sorcery tales, and the rules nicely reflect this. Song of Swords - at least the Beta which I was able to read through - is less focused; "generalist" fantasy. The advantages are that the authors clearly took the good basics from RoS and wrote more detailed rules (including the things that you normally have to make a ruling for or houserule in RoS). I like the Arc rules, although I'm not sure about their application. Definite disadvantages? Some of the good stuff (e.g. initiative) became even more complicated - and that's something already.

So, yes and no.

The rules are clearly more detailed, but in some cases it's not ideal. But when it's finished, I'll definitely buy it and try running it.

That said, you also have another successor game in beta - Band of Bastards / Sword & Scoundrel. The rules are done, they are obviously inspired with Burning Wheel in some cases (e.g. equipment).

I'm still staying at original RoS, heavily houseruled
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

It's true that SoS seems to be more generalist, including allowance for different "power levels" and genres, than BotIT. That being said, SoS has changed a lot during the beta, including simplifying some of the rules, so what you read might no longer be accurate in the final version.

The magic supplement for SoS is still being worked on, though I think pretty clear to completion. The original RoS sorcery system is not... particularly usable in any real context.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

It's true that SoS seems to be more generalist, including allowance for different "power levels" and genres, than BotIT. That being said, SoS has changed a lot during the beta, including simplifying some of the rules, so what you read might no longer be accurate in the final version.

The magic supplement for SoS is still being worked on, though I think pretty clear to completion. The original RoS sorcery system is not... particularly usable in any real context.
    The final version of SoS is available? I haven't checked the store, will do so soon. I had only the beta rules from their homepage.

You put that very mildly. The original system is very innovative, full of interesting ideas, but practically unplayable. The only thing that can be done is to transfer the BoIT system to RoS, which works pretty well - after all, the guys responsible kept it very close.

If we are talking about recommendation for swashbuckling/three musketeers-styled game, RoS would be my choice. The only thing you need to change for the game to work well is the priority table (race would become nationality, social standing would need some tweaks) - other than that you are ready to go. I already planned to run a game combining En Garde's "climbing social ladder" and RoS ruleset, but there were only 2 players interested - c'est la vie!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Anyone wanna do a Fate oneshot sometime Sunday, CST afternoonish?
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    That makes it past midnight for me (CET)... otherwise I'd be in.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    The final version of SoS is available? I haven't checked the store, will do so soon. I had only the beta rules from their homepage.
    It's been officially released, yes. I got it from my Kickstarter pledge.

You put that very mildly. The original system is very innovative, full of interesting ideas, but practically unplayable. The only thing that can be done is to transfer the BoIT system to RoS, which works pretty well - after all, the guys responsible kept it very close.
    The system was pretty much intended not work, as the author seemed to have some very firm ideas on magic being in any way balanced with anything. And the system itself was rife for abuse in its own right, like many spontaneous ones are. I'm not familiar with BoIT's magic, but I guess it pretty much has to be better.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

It's been officially released, yes. I got it from my Kickstarter pledge.
    Well, I'm again late to the party. Will swoop by the store to buy a pdf - I liked the graphical side of the page, but even for me the rules were sometimes too much to follow.

And if I am correct, they ADDED some attributes... did they? Original RoS had 10 attributes - 5 physical, 5 mental. Plus 5 derived. Plus spiritual attributes (replaced by Arcs in SoS).

The system was pretty much intended not work, as the author seemed to have some very firm ideas on magic being in any way balanced with anything. And the system itself was rife for abuse in its own right, like many spontaneous ones are. I'm not familiar with BoIT's magic, but I guess it pretty much has to be better.
    Well, I have the same idea - magic should not be balanced with martials on the level of "what can it do?". I mean, a "legendary warrior" should be able to defeat 2-3 opponents at the same time, should be able to defeat superior force using tactics, wit and crush enemies, see them driven before you... you know. On the other hand "legendary wizard" should be able to destroy castles, summon things better unnamed and cast curses so powerful they make princesses sleep for 100 years even when countered by other powerful wizards.

The idea however is, that if two players decide to play in campaign - and one makes the legendary warrior and the other a legendary wizard - they should both have their fun. So the legendary warrior takes his army and with help of his powerful friend wizard destroys enemy's castle, razes cities and then builds a kingdom with him as the king and wizard as the "power behind the throne". Or the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Were you able to get some people?

If not, I would try putting an official request to recruiting thread - here most people miss it, but when I once tried recruiting for Fate there, I immediately got few people interested. And man, if you decide to go PbP, I'm definitely in

19. - Top - End - #79

Goblin

The Morrow Project - I loved the idea of helping post apocalyptic communities re-build. My friends just wanted to drive around in an armoured car shooting at mutants.

Villains & Vigilantes - But my friends were into Champions.

Rolemaster - I got to GM a game once and really enjoyed it.

20. - Top - End - #80

WolfInSheepsClothing

Blade's magic system is far more workable than RoS's - but it still isn't intended for D&D "I'm a fighter, you're a ranger, he's a sorcerer, we're all recently graduated turnip farmers, lets go fight giant rats!". Magic is Effin scary. It is meant to be scary. And rare. If you think Ten Who Were Taken and not Harry Potter, you get the idea. The book openly suggests sorcery is only marginally applicable for PCs because sorcery is not friendly, not known, and represents the sort of power that is often kept off screen as an existential threat.

But that's ok. because it's not a game about progression from 1-20 as you start fighting goblins and end saving worlds. It's a game about characters who are already badasses and mostly stay badasses throughout. You just have to accept there are entirely different calibers of badassery, and that the best way to kill a sorcerer might be stab them in the back (No HP...a knife in your eye will kill most any human) rather than line up and shout battle cries at each other.

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

Polaris: One of the most unique and richly-imagined sci-fi worlds I've ever seen, with a huge degree of variety on character concepts and group playstyles. That said, character creation is really easy to screw up, the combat system is headache-inducingly complex, and I'm not really sure what player characters would do in the setting. "Firefly, but underwater" is the closest I've ever come to thinking of it.

Talislanta: Very clean and simple across-the-board d20 resolution mechanics, skill-based spellcasting that actually works, a very deep and thought-out world, viability and easy access to lots of character archetypes that fall outside the "warrior, expert, caster" triangle? Sign me up. Unfortunately my IRL group is drifting away from fantasy games these days, and it's a bit too niche to gain much traction on the forums.

Open Legend RPG: A very nice toolbox game system that you can adapt to lots of different settings and campaign styles, without the splatbook insanity of GURPS. I've tried and failed to start a few campaigns using this system for various real life reasons. Maybe someday.

Nobilis and Chuubo's: Two systems that definitely intrigued me on first notice, but that I haven't had much time to really investigate in depth. And like Talislanta, I worry that their niche nature will turn off the gaming circles I usually traffic with.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

7th sea? That might be something you would be interested in.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Morrow Project, the newish Star Wars and Torg Alternity
    "There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar - Babylon 5