New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Disney Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Disney Star Wars Galaxy's Edge just opened. I am excited!

I am especially exited over the kyber crystals that can go into lightsabers and holocrons. The kyber crystals change the sounds that a lightsabre makes, or the dialog out of a holocron (I understand that the holocrons may even argue with each other). There are 8-ish build your own base models of lightsabers, and a bunch of prebuilt ones. I am unsure if the pre-bilt ones have parts that can be exchanged with the build-your-own ones (other than likely the kyber crystals). They also have two holocrons (Sith and Jedi).

Evidently they have at least seven colors of kyber crystals, and different cuts of them as well (two cuts mayhaps?). I am not sure if the different cuts have different sounds or voices. When building your own you may select form purple, green, blue, or red kyber crystals. They have purple, green, blue, red, yellow, white, and a at least one hidden color . . . black. The black kyber crystals are hidden in some red booster packs . . . evidently you can tell if you shine a flashlight though the tube (I hope that the red and black kyber crystals have different bar codes).

They also have a build your own remote control droid that looks to be quite fun. Also with a crazy amount of accessories . . . like a Build A Bear. They even have the bartender arm, and tray (complete with shot glasses) from Return of the Jedi!

They are going to take a great deal of my money. Now I want to go back to Disney as soon as vacation-time allows. I also want to ask anyone I know that is going if they could pick me up some of this stuff on their trip.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-06-03 at 11:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Disney Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

I have not been this excited about Star Wars in a long time. From what I've seen online, the place looks amazing, and I love the fact that they've decided to make it look as "in-universe" as possible. Supposedly, even the droids you can build will interact with the park in different ways. There are bluetooth connections around the park, so depending on where you are, and what personality chip you put it in, it'll react differently, which is really cool. Like, if you put a Resistance personality in, it's supposed to get nervous whenever a First Order character walks by, and a smuggler personality gets excited when you walk near the shops. That's a cool use of the tech to me.

I'm just glad I live far away, so by the time I do get there, they'll have had time to work out the bugs and I'll have the cash to spend.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

It would drive me absolutely nuts to see STAR WARS written in large letters on Halloween costumes as a kid (or pictures of the character on the costume that the costume was to be of). It drove me nuts when they switched the miniatures to bases that said STAR WARS on them so that you could read the words across a football field. It drives me nuts to have a poster of a fantasy world that has a paragraph of real-world legal mumbo-jumbo on it.

I am quite happy with the lack of real-world legal crap mucking up the place. The holocrons look like they have some of this on the bottom, and the lightsabers have some of this on the inside. Better than the up-in-your-face legal stuff we normally have to deal with.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-06-03 at 01:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    I am quite happy with the lack of real-world legal crap mucking up the place. The holocrons look like they have some of this on the bottom, and the lightsabers have some of this on the inside. Better than the up-in-your-face legal stuff we normally have to deal with.
    At least the lightsaber copyright info is on the inside, and easily ignored. I mean, you could even go a step further and sand it down if you really wanted to. I probably would, just for my own sake. I don't know how to handle the holocron stuff, though; that's a little trickier, but at least it's on the bottom.

I just like how even the soda bottles are themed. Round bottles with themed font. Recognizable for what it is, but not a straight-up earth bottle. It's clever, and probably pricey for them, but it's the fact that they did it at all that I really appreciate.

I've also been looking heavily at all the custom droid and lightsaber options online, and... well, I'm going to have to start saving, or never go there, because that's getting expensive. I'm already thinking of how I'm going to have to paint parts of the droid myself in order to get the colors I want without buying every single pack of colored parts and decals. They really know how to get me.

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q: Do the pre-built lightsabers have the same archetype of modular parts as the build-your-own lightsabers.
    A: No, apparently they have completely different parts, different blades, and do have slots for kyber crystals.

Q: Do the pre-built lightsabers come with a kyber crystal?
    A: No, apparently they cannot be fitted with a kyber crystal

Q: Do the holocrons come with a kyber crystal
    A: I don't know yet, but I bet not.

One web-page mentioned "cut and color" for kyber crystals, but I have not seen different shapes.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-06-07 at 02:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite detail is that every cast member in Galaxy's Edge gets to customize their own costume. Like costumes in Disney are traditionally so tightly controlled and uniform, the idea that no, each cast member is in fact a different resident of the outpost, with their own style, their own backstory, and so on is really cool.

Either way I'm waiting for the Orlando one to open in a few months. And hoping I can score a preview to get in before the crazy crowds hit, or it'll be years before I get in.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I didn't like it

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by samwoodblack View Post
    I didn't like it
    Ooh, you've been there? What didn't you like about it? I'm still trying to decide if I actually want to go or not.

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Ooh, you've been there? What didn't you like about it? I'm still trying to decide if I actually want to go or not.
    My wife loves vacations, is a teacher, and has the summers off. My daughter is in competitive cheer, and one of the competitions is at Disney World (if they do well enough). I will likely go within 1-3 years if not in 2020.

I heard that the attraction slowed down after the initial fever.

I want to go, if anything, for the Mouse Droid popcorn holder necklace. I have the Tie Fighter and the AT-AT popcorn holder necklaces . . . I often joke that I will show up to the movie theater with one hanging around my neck to hold my popcorn. They are quite big.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-16 at 07:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I heard that the attraction slowed down after the initial fever.

I want to go, if anything, for the Mouse Droid popcorn holder necklace. I have the Tie Fighter and the AT-AT popcorn holder necklaces . . . I often joke that I will show up to the movie theater with one hanging around my neck to hold my popcorn. They are quite big.
    Fewer crowds? Good news for me! Now that the youtubers have gone through and done their videos, and all the die-hard fans have seen it, maybe it won't be an oppressive wait to see everything, and there won't be obnoxious amounts of people recording themselves the whole time. Probably not, but I can hope.

And I had no idea about the mouse droid popcorn holder until now. Looks pretty cool, assuming it doesn't get all greasy and covered in popcorn crumbs.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Fewer crowds? Good news for me! Now that the youtubers have gone through and done their videos, and all the die-hard fans have seen it, maybe it won't be an oppressive wait to see everything, and there won't be obnoxious amounts of people recording themselves the whole time. Probably not, but I can hope.

And I had no idea about the mouse droid popcorn holder until now. Looks pretty cool, assuming it doesn't get all greasy and covered in popcorn crumbs.
    They pop open and the standard popcorn box is shoved in.

12. - Top - End - #12

They pop open and the standard popcorn box is shoved in.
    Clever! I'd probably still fumble it and drop popcorn all over the sides though. That's just on me.