The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Celestia's Finest OOC: How Do You Pronounce 'Croix' Anyway?

I don't want to keep anyone waiting. Maybe, Love could leave a LoveHolo with Seaworthy?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Some of it is, admittedly, that I'm feeling fairly demoralized about the RP right now.

There's not much of anything to Longshot any more beyond going through the motions, my attempts to do things with him get trolled (Diamond, Lullaby) or cut off because of abandoned threads and time skips (Ruby and Nickel Sheen being the most recent examples).

There's usually OoC friction among the group and we've been wandering around the ship for a while waiting to dock... I can't blame Digo for getting antsy and trying to teleport just to move things.

Overall, yeah. I'm just not feeling it right now, so I'm going to wait until it's time to move ahead with the plot. Hopefully, things will feel different after the fourth.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

I understand your feelings. And I want you to know that I'm not intentionally trying to ruin Longshot's day. I do want to see him succeed. I suppose it's just that I can never really predict how he'll react to things. So when I try and set something up, it either backfires horribly or is a non-starter. Which means that, after a while, I've grown discouraged and, perhaps, I've stopped trying lately.

I'm sorry, DKS.

Edit: To be clear, I haven't intentionally stopped trying. It's just that, as I've been thinking over the past few weeks, I realized that, whenever something occurred to me specifically tailored to Longshot, my immediate reaction was, 'well, it'll just make things worse, so why bother?'
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2019-07-03 at 09:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Spamalot in the Playground

Well I can completely understand where you are coming from. Hopefully things pick up after the holiday.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #275

Copied from an edit because I wanted to make sure it got seen.

"Edit: To be clear, I haven't intentionally stopped trying. It's just that, as I've been thinking over the past few weeks, I realized that, whenever something occurred to me specifically tailored to Longshot, my immediate reaction was, 'well, it'll just make things worse, so why bother?'"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I won't be able to get a post in until later this evening.

7. - Top - End - #277

That's alright. It's close to the 4th. How about we all slow down and enjoy the next few days with family and then come back at this fresher and less...worn out by it.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    enjoy the next few days with family
    Actual enjoyment mileage may vary. :o

I'm gonna go paint a closet and give Trixie a bath for tomorrow.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #279

Oh. Well, I'd still be happy to chat and all. Memes and funny jokes are always welcome!

Personally, I'm of the mind that, when a game becomes a burden, something needs to change. So I hope a short break to gather our thoughts will help some. Just until the 5th.

10. - Top - End - #280

Oh. Well, I'd still be happy to chat and all. Memes and funny jokes are always welcome!
    Oh, the jokes have to be funny now? I didn't know we got standards. Well now I have to do actual work on my puns.

Just until the 5th.
    "So I'll just have to STOP. TIME."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Oh, the jokes have to be funny now? I didn't know we got standards. Well now I have to do actual work on my puns.
    Only if you want a pleased and beneficent supreme overlord.

12. - Top - End - #282

Only if you want a pleased and beneficent supreme overlord.
    Well I did the dishes today, so the wife should be happy.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Copied from an edit because I wanted to make sure it got seen.

"Edit: To be clear, I haven't intentionally stopped trying. It's just that, as I've been thinking over the past few weeks, I realized that, whenever something occurred to me specifically tailored to Longshot, my immediate reaction was, 'well, it'll just make things worse, so why bother?'"
    I can't fault you for reaching that point, to be frank.

Over the break, I stepped back and looked at things and I believe the problem comes down to two issues: one IC and one OoC.

Spoiler: My Understanding of the Situation
    Show
    IC, Longshot has met almost all of his internal goals. He's gaining acceptance and repaired his relationships with his parents. There's not much by way of internal drive any more and it doesn't help that the new power armor blunts the combat rush so he doesn't even enjoy the fight like he could in the past. I've set a goal for him to establish himself as a trustworthy soldier but that's not much help in the long run. I don't really know where to go with him from here.

OoC, I've become skittish about NPC relationships simply because, from my perspective, it feels like there's normally a catch involved.

Rose needs no explanation. She was hopped up on venom the entire time and Chrysalis poisoned the entire relationship beyond repair. The fallout from that got pretty nasty. Combined with Diamond's situation and... well... it sort of set my expectations for everything that followed hereafter.

In the Crystal Empire thread, Diamond's moment felt very much like it was supposed to be a 'thank you for agreeing to be my dad, now you can marry Cadance!' gotcha moment that didn't happen as expected. It... didn't really help that I was getting one post for every one else's two at the time. Our discussions post-encounter left the impression that everyone else's core frustration was the 'gotcha' didn't get sprung correctly.

Rip: I don't have any excuse for that result. It was Sniper taking out his internal anger on her.

When we first arrived at the Wasteland, we were told that it would be very hard for NPCs to follow us back to Equestria. That played a large factor in my/Longshot's decision making progress with Lullaby. As a result, I was under the impression that anything between them couldn't be permanent. Given the way LS' internal feelings were written as being terrified within others' narrative posts, I played it as a one-sided-affair problem rather than a serious opportunity.

(I think I said at some point that I wanted things to work out between but never received any indication that it actually could.)

Of course, then the Wasteland NPCs turned up in Equestria anyway. That was a real kick in the gut.

Cory's rescue backfiring was me being a dunce. I didn't pick up on the significance of the setup until it was far too late to be grafted into the main RP. It wasn't until I was reviewing my notes that I realized it was a setup to give Sniper a positive point to his abilities. Which... now has me questioning my read of other events.

Rem's flirting was mostly me trolling the group until the squicky feeling became too much. I probably should never have done that...

Anyway, after Rem went corporeal, one of the first things asked when I logged into Discord was whether Longshot was aroused. I'll... confess that I just about lost my temper at the question. However, it put the thought in my head that such was the intended end of Rem gaining a temporary corporeal experience. I pulled him way back emotionally in response and that resulted in things playing out as she did. I was internally concerned the prospect was going to be raised all throughout that scene.

Throughout all this, I was trying to push Longshot in a better direction. I had it mapped out so that Longshot could reconnect with Ruby, Rifle would help him past his responsibility/romance block and they could become an item so that we could put that whole issue behind us.

(This was why I ended the story of Longshot and Rifle reconciling with LS opening a discussion of his past romance failures, so that I could pick up a second part with Rifle providing his input. Between Ruby's silence and the timeskip, writing that second part seemed pointless so I never did.)

I'd also set to the shrapnel-in-the-back plotline so that he could meet Nickel and resolve that plotline but, again, nothing came of it because of the timeskip. This is... kind of a reoccurring thing wherein I try to do something positive but it gets stepped on or cut off for one reason or another.

As near as I can tell, that's how we got here. Where we go from here, I'm unsure. Maybe things are too wrecked at this point for there to be any recovery. I don't know.

14. - Top - End - #284

Thank you, DKS.

I'll be honest, guys, I don't want to be in a situation where I am making people bitter or stealing the joy out of their lives. But at the same time, I know the game can't be, "Yay! You win! You're amazing!" because that gets boring real fast.

I am reasonably sure that Elbeyon is having a good time still and userpay seems to be having fun when he chimes in. But are you, DKS and Digo, still having fun?

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by D.KnightSpider View Post
    I'd also set to the shrapnel-in-the-back plotline so that he could meet Nickel and resolve that plotline but, again, nothing came of it because of the timeskip. This is... kind of a reoccurring thing wherein I try to do something positive but it gets stepped on or cut off for one reason or another.
    Wasn't something that could be accomplished as a side-thread? Hmm, guess there wasn't a shrapnel incident last mission to set up that idea.

But are you, DKS and Digo, still having fun?
    I was having moments of fun with the current mission. I missed out on the good parts, but I tried to make up some of my own scenes to keep my character busy. That only takes me so far when I done have (or can't think of) a goal to accomplish. But at this point I think LS and Rose pretty much tapped out business on the ship; the cult was defeated, we have the book, Seaworthy will live, and the ship is repaired. Pretty much everything on the boat we could do is done, so, at least for me, I'm pretty antsy to get the story on shore.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-07-05 at 06:18 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'll be honest, guys, I don't want to be in a situation where I am making people bitter or stealing the joy out of their lives. But at the same time, I know the game can't be, "Yay! You win! You're amazing!" because that gets boring real fast.

I am reasonably sure that Elbeyon is having a good time still and userpay seems to be having fun when he chimes in. But are you, DKS and Digo, still having fun?
    Which is fair. A story where everything goes correctly isn't much of a story, while one that has no bright spots is just drudgery and depression-indulgence. I agree with the sentiment.

I once had a saying that Longshot was a long-term problem in a short-term solution world. Upon reflecting upon the overall situation a little further, I think the aforementioned saying hinted at a more core problem than the two I outlined in my above post. I tend to play a long-game wherein I see more realistic obstacles than usually exist in-game to the situation and then I try to resolve them over time for a big future payoff. In my usual style, something like Sniper adopting Diamond requires overcoming a few hurdles before such an adoption to make it an actual achievement for him as a character. From what I can discern, this conflicts with the rest of the group's Modus Operandi as those big decisions are usually made quickly and any obstacles minimized for convenience's sake.

This results in that 'cut off', 'stepped on', 'non-starter' or 'what's the point?' event/feeling because I'm trying to do something that doesn't mesh with the group or GM.

I think... this difference in operating procedure might be the real source of friction with Longshot.

Wasn't something that could be accomplished as a side-thread? Hmm, guess there wasn't a shrapnel incident last mission to set up that idea.

I was having moments of fun with the current mission. I missed out on the good parts, but I tried to make up some of my own scenes to keep my character busy. That only takes me so far when I done have (or can't think of) a goal to accomplish. But at this point I think LS and Rose pretty much tapped out business on the ship; the cult was defeated, we have the book, Seaworthy will live, and the ship is repaired. Pretty much everything on the boat we could do is done, so, at least for me, I'm pretty antsy to get the story on shore.
    Longshot got caught in the blast of the Pacification Protocol. The idea pitched to Milt was that some of the shrapnel he took endangered his spine, thus necessitating his new cybernatic back. Because he would be getting regular treatments on his back, it would position him to have a run-in with Nickel and co. That would have been done as a side-thread but when we jumped forward in the timeline, it killed the in-progress side threads because our resources were refocused to getting us underway hunting Iron beak and so nothing came of the set-up.

I'm in much the same situation as Digo. I don't mind continuing the RP and I don't want to see it end. At the immediate moment, it feels like we've exhausted everything we can do on the ship and are just killing time. We can't radio back to the mainland to check in with anyone. There's no NPC to talk to on the ship aside from Seaworthy. It feels like it's time to regroup and get on with things but we're still waiting on a ship to dock.

I suppose LS could fly over and give Rose her stuff back. That's about three posts worth of content but then we're back to being in a holding pattern.

17. - Top - End - #287

Well. We are done with the ship. Sorry Elbeyon. Seaworthy wonít talk and I donít feel like spending the next ten posts going through all the various ways he wonít talk.

Iíll be out and about most of the day, but when I get back this evening, we will continue with the island adventure

18. - Top - End - #288

I think... this difference in operating procedure might be the real source of friction with Longshot.
    I know some of that feeling from the previous mission in regards to campaign style.

Longshot got caught in the blast of the Pacification Protocol. The idea pitched to Milt was that some of the shrapnel he took endangered his spine, thus necessitating his new cybernatic back.
    Ah, I see it now. I guess some of the blame for the fail is due to Rose for the above statement.

I suppose LS could fly over and give Rose her stuff back. That's about three posts worth of content but then we're back to being in a holding pattern.
    Five posts if LS wants to innuendo that he knows where Rose went in her teleport accident. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know some of that feeling from the previous mission in regards to campaign style.

Ah, I see it now. I guess some of the blame for the fail is due to Rose for the above statement.
    Yeah. The more I think about this the more I'm convinced the main problem is that I play these events as more interrupted-long-term-goals rather than an immediate 'Yes/No' prompt. It's an easy change to make albeit not an instinctive one... still an interesting feeling, though.

Nah. It was never intended to be that Rose didn't do a good enough job. It was just that damage was damage and, in this case, it was damage such that surgical follow-up was needed.

It justified the Gunslinger Cybernetic as well, so, y'know, two birds, one stone.

20. - Top - End - #290

Nah. It was never intended to be that Rose didn't do a good enough job. It was just that damage was damage and, in this case, it was damage such that surgical follow-up was needed.
    I wasn't referring to Rose's medical care. I think part of the reason for the time skip was because I simply was not interested in any of the presented side treads. I wanted something with a bit of stakes and I guess that meant moving to the next main mission (I mean, the kind of side thread I'd go for does have the real possibility that Rose could get killed. And that'll be a problem to explain for the main mission). I don't mind chatting with NPCs, but my attention span, and thereby Rose's, isn't very long when it's mostly idle RP chatter. I handle longer instances with fewer NPCs better (hence why I worked so hard to stick with Anaki and the zebra clan when I could. Sad that we didn't reach Crusoe/Friday status).

It justified the Gunslinger Cybernetic as well, so, y'know, two birds, one stone.
    Efficiency is always a good mark to reach for.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #291

Didn't the original combat plan call for moving the town citizenship into the caves below for safety?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeeeeup. It's on my list of things to ask shortly.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little under the weather. My posts may be off for a bit

24. - Top - End - #294

Hope you feel better soon! :<
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Do we want to try to move the stubborn residences so quickly? I don't know how many hold outs there are in total, but that could be quite the few house trips to try to convince everyone. The attack could be a few days. I don't know if the storm makes an attack more likely or less likely. I imagine people would have trouble flying in a storm. I don't know how the local military force managed to move most everyone inside, but the other residence didn't budge. I'm not sure how much Love can do without a new motivation.

26. - Top - End - #296

She could be a retired special forces or something for all we know. XD

My opinion is that we should first see what's going down in the caves that we have two separate sources of concern coming forth to us.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fine by me. I suggested the idea as I figured Love would want Girdle to be safer sooner rather than later. We can always head off to establish our cover story and worry about Girdle after the caves.

28. - Top - End - #298

Guys, don't you know by now?

Mother knows best...

29. - Top - End - #299

Mother also locked us up in a tower for near two decades and never gave us a haircut. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is Rose's ballgame at this point. Does Rose want to take the lead in establishing our cover story?

Also, yeah. Not very subtle there, guards.