The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Golden Age of Sail OoC

@El'the Ellie El'the Sorry, I suppose it should be gold coins then?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess it should be pounds, pennies, etc. as was outlined in the IC:

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Monetary conversions may vary depending on what types of coins you have. Since we didn't specify before, we're going to assume it's all British currency, as it's the most common. Everyone please turn your current bronze, silver, and gold pieces into pence, shilling and pound, respectively. Platinum is just 10 pounds

12 pence = 1 shilling
    20 shilling = 1 pound

Yes, this will mess around with how much wealth you have a bit. Also, feel free to break your coinage up into denominations as you choose. If you had 12.4 gp (or 12 gold and 4 silver), you'll now have 12, 4s. Or 11, 20s, 48d, or however you want to split it up. Welcome to Olde Times, where denominations are made up and the points don't matter!
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-09-10 at 10:07 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Heal (1d20+4)[24]
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    I guess it should be pounds, pennies, etc. as was outlined in the IC:
    Alright!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone can make a knowledge nature and/or heal check.
    Okay, great, here I --

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Heal [24]
    *blink*

*blink*

I's been showed up! Ah, hell, I'll give it a go anyway. Knowledge (Nature): (d20+6)[16]
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

In a face-to-face Pathfinder game I'm in, severed tentacles have a lot of emotional impact. Some sort of rakshasa had been keeping a baby kraken in a regeneration tank to give his gluttonous gut an everlasting supply of calimari. We think we got Baby back to Mama ... and we think that's a good thing ...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

We're ready to time skip a bit, but I want to give people time to respond to things if they desire. If you don't have anything to post IC, please just let me know. Do keep in mind that if I move on past a scene and others weren't done, we can handle both scenes at the same time. I want to allow players to have the extended conversations that they want, but I also don't want the rest of the party to have to wait two weeks for it to conclude.

I promise that things will start picking up shortly. Just transitioning from the setup of our last DM, and planting my own plot points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    O my Empress, is your post about adding a player related to the new interest we got on the original recruitment threat?
    Somehow I missed this! I would suspect one of us mentioned to him that we were potentially looking for new people. Did we ever reach a consensus on that?
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    In a face-to-face Pathfinder game I'm in, severed tentacles have a lot of emotional impact. Some sort of rakshasa had been keeping a baby kraken in a regeneration tank to give his gluttonous gut an everlasting supply of calimari. We think we got Baby back to Mama ... and we think that's a good thing ...
    The less you know

We're ready to time skip a bit, but I want to give people time to respond to things if they desire. [...]
    Somehow I missed this! I would suspect one of us mentioned to him that we were potentially looking for new people. Did we ever reach a consensus on that?
    Fine by me! Let's crack open some treasure chests/pirate skulls
    Also, I've played with Tjallen in a PbP a little bit, and he's a great dude! He'd definitely make a fine addition to the crew :)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

If you don't have anything to post IC, please just let me know.
    I'm ready to move on.

I don't think we did. Personally I don't lean either way -- it's fine to have another, it's fine not to. But remetagross's opinion holds a lot of weight for me!

10. - Top - End - #130

WhiteWizardGirl

Let's press on then!

@Ubirajara: Please make a craft Poisonmaking check.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-09-16 at 12:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Poison check: (1d20+8)[24]

Edit: also on a new player: I vouch for Tjallen (one of my favorite players when I DM - remetagross as well, )
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-09-16 at 04:16 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Will post tonight

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

That was well phrased, remetagross. You're living up to your character's Charisma score.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks mate

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Diplomacy check to bolster the mood of the crew: (d20+5)[20] including Aid Another from Ntwa. And another 5 from his Reputation score, so that's a 25.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-09-20 at 03:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

WhiteWizardGirl

Just so I don't misunderstand: Eldon and Ubirajara are suggesting going their to free the two captives (which is likely their current captors won't be a fan of.)

Is Ota advocating for charting the island and hoping the pirates keep to themselves?

Note that I'm not trying to sway votes either way. The PC's and NPC's all have their own motivations so they may pressure people to decide a certain way, but I as a GM am in favor of whatever the overall decision is.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Trying to make an IC post, and I ran into a problem. Wasn't the ship hired by the British Crown? I can't find anything in the IC, OOC or recruitment thread to support that except one tossaway line suggesting it as one of many possibilities.

I'll go ahead and post IC with that assumption so we can keep moving. If anybody can tell me otherwise, I'll edit it as appropriate.

Just so I don't misunderstand: Eldon and Ubirajara are suggesting going their to free the two captives (which is likely their current captors won't be a fan of.)

Is Ota advocating for charting the island and hoping the pirates keep to themselves?
    The gist of what Rattlebone is about to say is, let's take the offensive, either attacking or driving away the pirate ship. EDIT: Of course I roll a 2 when using my best skill. Sheesh. Shoulda said I was taking 10 on it, which I thought of while opening the spoiler to see the result.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-09-20 at 01:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

That's it. But if the pirates don't, Ota thinks the Vensinda's crew will have an advantage at the fight, so he's not too bothered about having to battle if it so happens. And Ota tries to convey that sentiment to the more indecise members of the crew.

Also @Dimers good point on the Reputation modifier! Ota has a Reputation score of 5, so that should mean a +5 modifier to his Diplomacy check. Also, by checking his sheet, I've realized he's got the Trivial Knowledge feat, which allows him to roll twice and take the better result whenever he rolls a Knowledge check, and I've never once used it given that we were mostly playing freeform up to this point...

And @Dimers again: Man, you're so creepy. I imagine the temperature suddenly dropping a couple degrees just at your showoff. Amazing. He, Rattlebone and Ota form a nice little good cop/bad cop pair
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-09-20 at 03:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    And @Dimers again: Man, you're so creepy.
    D'awww, stoppit, you're gonna make me blush.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, Eldon won't force anybody cause he is super good
    He will just wait for the crew's response then.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

@Almostdead it's nice to have a dude playing the genuinely good-hearted character that straightforwardly, no ifs and buts, no dark hidden bad side

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. The way D&D often goes, even the exalted characters love violence and loot, so this is a pleasant and interesting difference.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thanks, I will try his best to be a good guy

24. - Top - End - #144

WhiteWizardGirl

We're getting into it now friends!

The three mainland groups the Captain forms are:

1. Scouting/spying directly on the pirates, probably watching from the trees.
    2. Climbing the mountain and taking stock of the entire island from there. In general the spire looks like it can be walked up, but hand climbing at portions isn't out of the question.
    3. Investigating the main land. Looking for any signs of what the pirates might be doing on this island.

You all are free to choose any of the groups, but since you all understand each other the most, Esteban wants all of you (and Sophie) to stick together.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

During the approach to the island, I'll send out my dove to get a bird's-eye view, just like the Malphas feature is named

Spoiler: Some thoughts on resolving that scouting ...
    Show
    The bird's Perception modifier is +6. I don't think "taking 20" is a fair way to determine what the dove sees -- RAW, maybe, but leading to unreasonable results and lacking dramatic tension. When I GM for someone doing a long task, I usually ask for three skill rolls and take the middle one. Luck is still a factor, but the result is more likely to be average, thus rewarding investment in the skill. If that sounds okay, here are the dove's checks:
    (d20+6)[23]
    (d20+6)[21]
    (d20+6)[22]
    "Taking 10" would also be a decent way to judge the scouting results.

My brain interprets what the dove's eyes see and ears hear. If she becomes aware of something that I would find interesting or suspicious, I can direct her closer to get more details.

Regardless of what the dove does or doesn't find ...

I think most of the characters are against tracing the pirates directly. Even Rattlebone isn't keen on combat -- he's more the sneaky assassination type when violence is the best solution. And we don't have anyone with the Track feat, so following the pirates' trail would basically be handwaving (inelegant, IMO).

Rattlebone has a climb speed, so he's fine with the mountain. But he can already keep an eye out from above. And with a storm coming in, being high up might not be so smart

I'd say option 3 is best. Our skills and knowledges are broad, so we probably have the ship's best chance of dealing with oddities. For example, Sophie's Decipher Script would be valuable if we discover runic stones or a coded logbook, but not if we're looking at The Big Picture or following tracks. Eldon's social skill is most likely to apply if we meet someone who isn't a pirate. And between us, we have a shot at making sense of almost anything we find, thanks to lots of Knowledge skills.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

He, that's quite a nice way to proceed with your dove :) if that's fine with you El'the Ellie,I'll do the same with Ntwa and then assign him to the "spy" team. I'm in agreement with Dimers for option 3. That observation about being high up on the peak increasing the hazard of the incoming storm is a very fair one too

Alright, so here are the three Spot checks for Ntwa.
    (d20+6)[10] (d20+6)[14] (d20+6)[26]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I also find option 3 the best one for our party.

28. - Top - End - #148

WhiteWizardGirl

I should have mentioned before, but I forgot about all the scouting birds in the party!

This will be like a complex check, using five rolls and trying to meet some total DC. (It ends up being basically the same idea as taking an average, but higher numbers are more fun. Also, setting a high DC lets me have more points of partial success.)

dove: (2d20+12)[33] + 66 from other rolls

Ntwa: (2d20+12)[26] + 50 from other rolls

Since they can't really communicate, I'm going to say they don't have the option of assisting each other here.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm ill and might not post for a couple days.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn! Must've been these spices you've bought back at Dominia. Take care