The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Golden Age of Sail OoC

Dang! Take care of your connection, GM :)
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Ugh, that's a lot of no-fun. May I recommend use of your local public library for connecting in the meantime? (... said the public librarian.)
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Good to see someone's as enthusiastic about it as I am!

In preparation for a move to a new building, we've been kicking up lots of old materials. Today's fun find was a book that contained two books ... the best thing by far, though, was a newspaper from 1803. That's so old, it used the typeface with S characters that look like Fs.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I know those, we have the same in Old French manuscripts! It always appeared to me as if the writer had a written version of a lisp
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

5. - Top - End - #35

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah, I've always seen the drink Jaegermiester:

Spoiler
    Show

As Jaegermeifter for similar reasons.

Also, for some reason this is reminding me of some nifty DM tools that I've been meaning to spread awareness about, like the Homebrewery.

Edit: Spoiled image because it's large.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-06-17 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Rattlebone: Please give me an intelligence check to see how well/quickly you pick up on the fundamentals of gunnery
    Can I beg a circumstance bonus for ship experience and/or equipment maintenance experience? (Corroborating evidence: I own an armor maintenance kit!) (d20+4)[12]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Can I beg a circumstance bonus for ship experience and/or equipment maintenance experience? (Corroborating evidence: I own an armor maintenance kit!) [roll0]
    Seems appropriate. We'll call it a 14 then.

8. - Top - End - #38

WhiteWizardGirl

I hate to shoot myself in the foot and use a lower knowledge check, but would knowledge geography make more sense for staying on course?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Survival: (1d20+10)[24]
    Cook: (1d20+7)[13]

Will post IC in a few hours.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    I hate to shoot myself in the foot and use a lower knowledge check, but would knowledge geography make more sense for staying on course?
    Hmm, having checked Stormwrack, I see that Knowledge (geography) is what they use for navigating by map or landmark, but I've always thought of Knowledge (nature) as what you would use to navigate using latitude or the stars. At the moment I'd say you could use either one depending on how you want to describe your actions. K (geo) would be if you're using man made references and K (nat) would be if your keying off of natural phenomena. And finding a heading is just a matter of checking a compass, which is kinda the perfect blend of natural phenomena and man made.

11. - Top - End - #41

WhiteWizardGirl

Ok! In that case I think she would rely on her natural knowledge and experience with celestial bodies to stay on course.

I'll make an actual post tomorrow. For now just going to roll and see how Sophie does: (1d20+15)[32]
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm...

Ota has no skills related to cooking (he's got one spare skill point to put as a cross-class skill in either Survival or Profession (Cook), so that'd make one half of a skill rank in either case), but if all that's needed is enthusiasm he can do that :). Or, a suggestion of Chimaera: how about Craft (brewery) ? :D Them sailors need some alcoholed liquid that doesn't go bad :)

He's got one rank in Profession (Sailor) and six ranks in Knowledge (Geography) though, so he might be of help to Sophie steering the ship?

If all else fails, he's got one rank in Craft (Shipbuilding), so provided there's some Small-sized tools aboard, he can work at repairing various stuff :)

Or a combination of any of the above.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-06-20 at 11:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Should I post IC that I pick up the skill fairly well?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Yeah, I didn't think it through at character creation. Like I said Eldon got an artifact that heals wounds. Is there a surgeon on the ship? Maybe Eldon can be his assistant to look after sick persons?

If there is no other options. I guess working as a janitor is also acceptable?
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-06-20 at 08:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Hmmm...

Ota has no skills related to cooking (he's got one spare skill point to put as a cross-class skill in either Survival or Profession (Cook), so that'd make one half of a skill rank in either case), but if all that's needed is enthusiasm he can do that :). Or, a suggestion of Chimaera: how about Craft (brewery) ? :D Them sailors need some alcoholed liquid that doesn't go bad :)

He's got one rank in Profession (Sailor) and six ranks in Knowledge (Geography) though, so he might be of help to Sophie steering the ship?

If all else fails, he's got one rank in Craft (Shipbuilding), so provided there's some Small-sized tools aboard, he can work at repairing various stuff :)

Or a combination of any of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almostdead View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think it through at character creation. Like I said Eldon got an artifact that heals wounds. Is there a surgeon on the ship? Maybe Eldon can be his assistant to look after sick persons?

If there is no other options. I guess working as a janitor is also acceptable?
    There is neither surgeon nor carpenter aboard the Vensinda (a role that is/was often filled by a single person) I think it would be fitting if Ota and Eldon offered their services in this capacity, and perhaps were assigned as assistants to Ubirajara as well.

Should I post IC that I pick up the skill fairly well?
    Sounds fair to me!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    There is neither surgeon nor carpenter aboard the Vensinda (a role that is/was often filled by a single person)
    Ya know. Whoever has the saw.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ya know. Whoever has the saw.
    Yup

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

"I saw you fishing earlier: have you seen any of the indigenous ichthyes yet?"

I think this group has the most engaging and believable roleplaying of any I've been in. Great stuff to read, great attention to detail.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Umm, folks, I'm not going to be able to continue running this campaign. My brother shattered his collarbone and I'm the only family in country at the moment. Duty calls. My bad. I was having fun with it.

20. - Top - End - #50

WhiteWizardGirl

Jeeze, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he gets well soon, and taking care of him or whatever it is you're being called to do doesn't put too much stress on you.

In terms of the game: would your situation change in a reasonable period of time? I would be willing to put this game on wait until your life returned to a state of normalcy. (But I also don't want to create a feeling of obligation to get back to something on OOTS while you're dealing with life.)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In terms of the game: would your situation change in a reasonable period of time?
    I really don't know yet. Lots of questions with few answers at the moment. I'm hoping to be able to hold onto one simple game running and one playing, but even that might not be possible.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be willing to put this game on wait until your life returned to a state of normalcy. (But I also don't want to create a feeling of obligation to get back to something on OOTS while you're dealing with life.)
    I'm in the same boat, pun completely intended. I'd prefer coming back to this at an unspecified future date rather than dropping it entirely.

I'd offer to be a filler DM, but I don't imagine I could do a decent job.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Crap, that sucks hard!! I'm sorry for your brother, BarbecueChips. Take good care of him.

In the meantime, would you be OK with us players trying to find a new DM for the game, on the Recruitments thread? I'm in agreement with the others here, I really like our roster of players and the general flavor of the adventure :)
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-06-26 at 05:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    In the meantime, would you be OK with us players trying to find a new DM for the game, on the Recruitments thread? I'm in agreement with the others here, I really like our roster of players and the general flavor of the adventure :)
    Go for it. I left all my notes at home, and they're in paper format because I'm a youthful dinosaur. So, I can't really be of any help but if you can find someone to take over then by all means have fun.

25. - Top - End - #55

WhiteWizardGirl

I see that remetagross put up a looking for GM thread for this game. Until then, I suppose we can always keep RPing a bit, mostly so this thing doesn't totally die.

Also, if folks want, I could potentially run this game. Though that would involve Sophie becoming an NPC, since as a DM I'm not a fan of playing a character as well. I like playing Sophie so it's not my first choice, but it is an option.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ouch...Sorry for your brother. Hope he will get well soon.. @BarbecueChips

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, if folks want, I could potentially run this game. Though that would involve Sophie becoming an NPC, since as a DM I'm not a fan of playing a character as well. I like playing Sophie so it's not my first choice, but it is an option.
    We'll see how the Summon GM spell turns out ... I wouldn't want to lose the opportunity for interaction with Sophie, so it's not my first choice either, but it sure ain't my last.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

That sucks @BBQC! Take your time and take good care of your brother.

If a DM can be summoned I'm in for it!
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have volunteered in the recruitment thread to replace the absent GM, if no-one objects I can begin the story moving forward again soon. If you have any questions, or things you want to make clear about the game/world/characters so far Id be happy to listen and answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Go for it, mate! Ota Likola is all set for some adventuring :)