The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Golden Age of Sail IC

It takes Ota a few moments to process what he just heard and to complete the puzzle.
    "Ah. Well, I suppose you might say that. I've had the honor to actually encounter a dragon once, fifteen years ago. In the way it wanted to free itself from all shackles...yeah, catlike I suppose. In this way. But...much more than that, too. I wish you to be given the same chance." Ota gazes into the horizon as he recalls these moments. He absentmindedly reaches up to pet Ntwa, only to realize the bird is not on his shoulder. Having felt the mental surge, the parrot gently flies up to his master, and nudges its head below the raised hand to encourage the stroke. Ota turns to Sophie again, taking the time to switch to another conversation thread. Regaining his vivacity, he eagerly explains:
    "Ntwa is no ordinary parrot. It's an extension of my person, isn't it?"
    "I'm his familiar", adds the colored bird with an educational tone.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Did you really!" Sophie looks ecstatic. "Where? Did you speak to it? What species was it, and how large?" It's clear that she only stopped to breathe and give him time to answer. Judging by her laser focus, there won't be an end to these questions any time soon.

The small revelation that Ntwa is a familiar only serves to increase Sophie's interest. "Oh of course! I should have figured. You're a student of the arcane as well then?"

For the moment, it seems her seasickenss is gone. Perhaps it's all in the mind.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaah, basking in the feeling of one's own awesomeness...I'll never get tired of it. Sophie unfortunately triggers all the least savory traits of personality of Ota, who revels in being the hero of his own fabulous stories. He's got a public! An attentive one, eager to ask, who wants to know everything! The only sane response is, of course, to answer
    "Now, wouldn't that be too easy to spill the beans all on the first day? And how would we occupy the long windless days, or the campfire nights then? Someday, but not today, not yet!" Ota cannot refrain but to grin smugly to both Sophie and himself. Ntwa, exasperated, nibbles at his ear angrily. But the Pygmee does not care and turns around to ostensibly take a long view at the faraway, intentionally letting Sophie marinate in her enthusiasm.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #34

WhiteWizardGirl

Sophie looked crestfallen. Her life was filled with teachers, mentors, and educators. At every step, her curiosity and adherence to previously laid out teachings were consistently and predictably rewarded with answers from those she spoke to. When it wasn't, it was either for very good reason that was also explained, such as building a proper understanding before addressing a new topic, or because public answers and understanding hadn't yet reached an answer. The latter would launch her into a rigorous cycle of presenting and discarding theories. In rare cases, people would simply refuse to share what they knew on principle: Sophie was quick to write these people off as mean, secretive, liars, or otherwise unworthy of her attention.

But never, not ever, has someone simply delayed an answer, simply... why? Especially something so fascinating, dropped in front of her and pulled out of the water like bait. Behind her thin glasses, Sophie's brain works overtime. The idea that someone might wield their naturalistic account like a play or, as he said, a campfire story, simply doesn't compute to the young scientist. Instead, she stands mostly still, staring off into the distance but not really looking at anything. Her thoughts gain no traction like a spinning wheel, the way one feels when they have the same thought over again. Same thought over again. Same thought over again, and over again. Before you realize you're so lost in your head you haven't actually been thinking about anything for the last few moments.

She is so thoroughly phased out she's unaware she's been staring directly at Rattlebone's chest for quite some time.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With Piet calling the tempo, two teams of deckhand haul the longboat out of the water and secure her aboard the ship. When that task is done a high sharp whistle disrupts all conversation aboard ship and the captain's leather-lunged voice rings out calling for the crew to gather before the helm.

The captain, tall and darkly bearded stands leaning over the wheel, flanked by Piet and the raven-haired woman. The sea wind blows through the woman's hair and ruffles Piet's shirt as it tugs at the feather stuck in the captain's hat. "Come, shipmates, new and old, and be welcome." the captain calls in Spanish stepping to the rail of the aft castle. "I am Esteban María Vicencio del Ripperdá y López del Hierro, of the crimson bannerette, your humble captain." Esteban gives a deep bow, with a noticeably less than humble flourish of his hat directing attention to the small triangle of bright red silk flying atop the main. "These are my officers and longtime companions, Piet Akker, your master of arms, and Genoveva, our first mate."

Piet crosses his trunk-like arms and fixes the crowd of sailors with a look somewhere between a glare and an appraising squint. Genoveva dazzles with a smile as bight as Piet's expression is dour, but her eyes too move carefully among the collected faces. "As you all know, this is no navy vessel. There will be no floggings, no keelhaulings, no bells or whistles. However, you don't work, you don't eat. You are free to leave whenever you wish, however we have no plans to make port again until our survey is complete. You will all receive your pay at that time. If you are maimed in the course of our voyage you will be paid double.

Esteban claps his hands with a loud pop, "But enough of such talk, I mentioned food! Where is our new cook?" Of course Esteban finds Ubirajara quickly and motions him forward. "Yes, this is Ubirajara Snake, and the galley is his personal domain, he has also graciously volunteered Eçaiara to be our vermin hunter. Some of you may find that unnerving but I'm sure if you eschew scripture in this case and 'crush not her head' she will in turn 'strike not your ankle.'" Genoveva chuckles quietly, eyes on Ubirajara. Piet says something to her and she turns and answers him in his native tongue before he too lets out a belt of laughter at the captain's jest.

"Now then," Esteban continues, "I believe Piet has need of a new cannoneer or two and Genoveva will give instructions to those of you who have never sailed with us before. We have a full day ahead of us. Keep your eyes open, storms can come up sudden and strong in these waters, not to mention the dangers posed by man. We make for the southeast, and we drop anchor at sunset. Madam Roisin, a tune if you please!"

Roisin, who never came down out of the rigging, draws a small pipe from her sleeve and begins to play a surprisingly loud, jaunty melody that everyone knows about two-thirds of the crew breaks off, scrambling up lines to loose and trim sails while others tidy the deck, coiling and stowing various lines mostly. Piet and Genoveva approach the small group of remaining sailors, Rattlebone, Sophie, Ota, Eldon and three others.

Piet says something, presumably in Dutch to which one of the sailors, a lanky blonde man of middling age responds. Piet looks him up and down asking a few more questions then nods and gestures for the man to head below. He then turns back to the group and says, "What about English? I need at least two new gunners." His accent is heavy but his words are still understandable. Genoveva simply smile and tucks her hands behind her back happy to wait for the Dutchman to finish his interrogation of the new crew members.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"I like him", whispers Ntwa (as much as parrots can whisper) to the ear of Ota, speaking of the captain.
    "So do I", answers in a low voice the Pygmee. "This is exactly the kind of seamanship that I like. Alright, let's see what we can do to be useful".

Assembled near the Dutchman (not German, right), Ota wonders if he can be of any help at the gunnery. He looks at his miserably Str 5 feeble arms. The Pygmee speaks up to answer Piet's demand:
    "Erm, I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even move around a cannonball or a big keg of powder...I don't think I can help here. Except I'm exceptionnally skilled in lighting up wicks, but I don't know that's enough to be useful at this post...your call, Mister Piet."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    "...I think he's fine. Go ahead!"
    Ntwa then cawks back in a thoughtful tone:
    "Alright, if you say so...Rattlebone, I think we can be friends."
    After a moment's shock, Rattlebone snorts. Yes, the two would-be legends will make quite a scene together, no doubt. "I'm so glad, Ntwa. Your boss is a good judge of character."

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Sophie is so thoroughly phased out she's unaware she's been staring directly at Rattlebone's chest for quite some time.
    After a couple minutes, the bokor addresses her. "Sophie. Are you alright? You look like someone just threw your favorite puppy on a fire ... stunned and dismayed." He has a look of honest concern (with just a splash of curiosity).

Then the captain makes his big introduction and shipboard activity starts in earnest. Not yet assigned any particular task, Rattlebone soaks up the rhythm Roisin is using to orchestrate, watching sailors unconsciously falling into time. He sways and dances in place until Piet comes over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    "What about English? I need at least two new gunners."
    Rattlebone replies in strange-accented English, "I know how to work the lines, officer, but I will handle whatever task you see fit to assign. Learning a new skill is never a bad idea."

Ota wonders if he can be of any help at the gunnery. He looks at his miserably Str 5 feeble arms. The Pygmee speaks up to answer Piet's demand:
    "Erm, I'm not sure I'm strong enough to even move around a cannonball or a big keg of powder..."
    After Piet has had the chance to respond to the pygmy, Rattlebone falls back into Spanish and says, "Aye, the cannonball might outweigh you, at that. I admit to curiosity, friend Ota. This being the sometimes suspicious and often brutal world that it is, you must have been in a fight or seven. How do you protect yourself?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"But back in the tribe being a warrior was a big deal: the warriors fought to protect the women, elders and children. It does needed a great deal of courage and actual fortitude", he answer the maíra and after a second thought add, "It also happen I wasnt the most brave of the warriors as well".

He stop talking to listen to the captain's introduction and move closer when called, "Eçaiara may be a very venomous snake, but she wont attack anyone on board. She'll only attack if attacked so as long as you dont mess with her, she wont mess with you. She'll start knowing the crew and soon you wont even notice her". He purposedly dont tell that it will attack if he order it to.

Once the captain leave and Piet and Genoveva come to give the new sailors a tutorial, Ubirajara listen to Piet and - not understanding a word other than "English" - answers, "Me no English. Portuguese and Spanish", he makes a thumbs up, "English...", he turn the thumb down and frown.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

9. - Top - End - #39

WhiteWizardGirl

"Hmm? Oh, no, I'm fine." Rattlebone shakes Sophie out of her stupor with a small shake of her head.

She follows the transition to English easily enough, which is apparent by the fact that she doesn't seem confused by the situation. However her response when the master-at-arms looks at her doesn't inspire confidence. She understood the mechanics of a cannon, certainly: her father had a rather detailed manual in his study of ship mounted cannon combat. But actually doing the tamping, ramming, loading shot and cleaning? She expressed as much back in English to the man.

"Oh, you don't want me on a cannon. I'm afraid I might be terribly slow on the load like Ota. Plus I've only ever really used a quadrant and plummet for celestial movements, not for anything fast moving. Well, fast and close."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Switching to Spanish as well, Ota first points to the pistol at his hip, then at his familiar.
    "Good question, Rattlebone. Well, for one, this doesn't need much strength to be used. Then, Ntwa here can poke out an eye or two. And if all that fails, well, those rumors about Tall Tale Likola having dragonlike powers must come from somewhere, don't they?" He winks as he finishes the sentence.

"But what about you, though? Similarly, creating doves out of nowhere is impressive, but you must have more than that up your sleeve, don't you?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ntwa here can poke out an eye or two."
    "Good thing we're friends now!"

"But what about you, though? Similarly, creating doves out of nowhere is impressive, but you must have more than that up your sleeve, don't you?"
    "I do indeed, friend Ota; these sleeves hold a lot. But words not spoken can't be overheard -- and so I must remain a man of many mysteries." The man smiles and puts his dark glasses back on. "Though I encourage you to look at the crossbow in the crew's commons, the one of wood a bit darker than my skin. It's a weapon as deadly as it is elegant." Pride of ownership is evident in Rattlebone's voice.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon nods beside Ota. "Yeah, just like what Ota has said. I'm not strong enough to be a cannoneer." He shrugs with a helpless smile in his face. "I prefer to speak, listen and communicate. The greatest victory in war is one attained without fighting. Don't you agree?"

Eldon grins. "Well, I understand the idea is over optimistic. So if I have to protect myself, I can deal damage in a short distance with a special energy. Does this count? Other than that. I have been given an artifact that can heal wounds a limited number of times per day. It's not a powerful artifact, but it's certainly useful on the sea."

"So, It's your call. I'm new to life at sea. But I'm willing to help." He looks at Piet and Genoveva.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Genoveva laughs melodiously at Ubirajara's response to Piet's questioning. Speaking in Spanish she says, "Of course you will not be one of our new gunners, dear. You will have too many other responsibilities. In fact, you will need an assistant of your own if our journeys are to go smoothly." She gestures to Ubirajara's fellow hands. "I would suggest picking someone who either knows how to cook, knows how to fish, or, barring either of those, who simply loves food." Genoveva makes a circular motion with her hand near her stomach, miming a large belly, and winks at Ubirajara.

Piet looks appraisingly at his pool of candidates, but doesn't seem particularly impressed with his choices. None of the other newcomers seem to speak Dutch or English. Finally the burly Dutchman points at Rattlebone. "I suppose you'll do. If nothing else that death's head peering out of the gunport might strike fear into any enemy gun crews. Come below. We will start with the basics."

As Piet leads his two new gunners off to learn how to clean, load, aim, and fire canons, Genoveva claps her hands and studies the remaining crew. She gives Ubirajara pick of the litter and sends them off to begin preparing the day's meal before getting down to the task of learning her new subordinates' skills and talents. Up until now the ship has been mostly running under direct orders from the captain, but Genoveva quickly integrates her evaluation process with the trimming of the sails, the charting of the course, and the general maintenance of the deck.

Sailors scramble up and down the masts, back and forth across the spars, and all over the deck to comply with Genoveva's commands. The woman assigns Sophie to check their travel against the parallels, but doesn't seem to find an immediate use for Ota or Eldon. Others are certainly faster through the rigging, stronger on the lines, and more able at the various bits of menial labor required to keep a ship functioning. Full-sized hands can just cover more deck with a stone or a mop than the smaller men. Genoveva gives a thoughtful sigh tapping her lip with a finger, "Just what am I to do with you two?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    The first day aboard ship is new and hectic for those of you not used to sailing.

Rattlebone: Please give me an intelligence check to see how well/quickly you pick up on the fundamentals of gunnery

Ubirajara: Please give me a Survival check to represent your day's catch and a Profession (Cook) check for the day's meal. Also please pick a kitchen assistant, it can be either one of your three fellow players who does not have a specific role or a generic crew member who I will flesh out for you.

Sophie: Please give me a Knowledge (Nature) check to plot the ships course. You have been given access to maps and instruments which give you a +2 circumstance bonus on this check.

Ota & Eldon: I'm kinda at a loss for where to assign you guys so your input would be appreciated. Pick a task, describe it, and roll an appropriate skill.

14. - Top - End - #44

WhiteWizardGirl

Sophie nods and takes up the role without complaint: she's just happy to not be expected to fire a cannon at anyone today. She sets to her task with meticulous precision. Again, she knew the basics of tracking position from such manuals back at home. For someone already practiced in vectors and radial coordinates, tracking their progress became a breeze.

The first hour or so looked a bit goofy, as Sophie struggled to drop and pull back the chip, but it quickly became a rhythm. By noon, the mathematician had it down to a science: she dropped the chip log and let the line run through her fingers as the Vensinda pulled ahead of it, counting as the knots rolled past her thumb and middle finger. At the same time, she watched her pocket watch - a tarnished, much loved silver piece attached to her jacket by a chain - and counted out twenty-eight seconds at a time, before grabbing the line, noting the space between knots, and pulled the whole line back in. Then she scurried back to the box she had a map and few pieces of scratch paper set up on, weighted down by a compass, protractor and calipers. Every quarter hour, on the quarter hour, she would repeat this, and jot down the speed and radial coordinate from East in a meticulously ordered table with headings like Time | Actual Knots | Heading | Correction Vector.
    All in all, it was probably a fair bit of overkill, but the comparatively easy calculations gave her something to think about other than the rocking of the boat. The ability to busy her mind with it did more wonders against sea sickness than Ujirabara's tea could.

The measuring was the easy part: that was the sort of thing she had been trained in for years: observation and recording. Actually conveying that to people is the hard part. A good amount of her time is spent trying to get Roisin's attention whenever they needed to correct. This was made harder by the fact that Sophie rarely actually spoke up to the busy crew woman, and when she did her tiny voice was swept away by the wind.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, I see", Ubirajara says after the woman explain what it was all about, "And I get an assistant? Hmm...".

The indigean look at the two small men and the nauseated girl. Of them all, he spent more time chatting with Sophie, but since she was already given a task he turn his attention to Ota and Eldon.

"Any of you know how to cook or fish? Nope?", he wait for an answer and sigh, "I'll pick Ota then".

Gesturing to the pygmee, he escort him to the dark kitchen, "I hope it isnt too dark for you. Here, let ne teach you the basics".

"First secret of the cooking is to learn how to use the knife and cleaver. Also, avoid working drunk on the kitchen or you may as well be nicknamed Four Fingers". He spent the next hours teaching what little he can so that Ota can aid him and that he can navigate through the kitchen without burning or slashing himself. After the kitchen tour is done, he go proceed to give him the basics of fishing and enjoy to chat and know this little fellow a little better.

"One of the weirdest thing I learned when I traveled away from my tribe was that you civilized folk dont learn soemthing so essential like how to fish and hunt. On my tribe the children learned fishing and foraging at a young age, while the olders were set to hunt. Always made me wonder what you foreign kids were taught".

Despise it not being a question, Ubirajara stay quiet waiting either for a fish to bit the bait or Ota to answer.

He spend the rest of the day setting up nets and preparing the day's catch for the crew along whatever he have to serve along. Eventually he task Ota with in delivering another mug of tea to Sophie and share what ia left with his assistant.

As for Eçaiara spent her day knowing the crew by face a d smell, which cause some people to get startled a few times as the snake crawl through the ship looking for snacks and looking at the colorful bird on board and cursing Ubirajara from vetoing her to eat it.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota smiles helplessly to Genoveva.
    "I can't do much when it comes to physical labor, but I'll give it my best."
    The Pygmee is then opportunely rescued by Ubirajara, who offers him a task more suited to his abilities.
    "Becoming second cook? I guess one can never know too much trades! Alright, I'm following you!" Ota happily queues the Indigen towards the kitchen. Ntwa mockingly whispers to his ear:
    "Hey boss, I guess I'll get to have something better than dried nuts for lunch from now on, eh!" Ota smiles and pets him as he takes care to do as Ubirajara instructs him.
    It's pretty dark down here, but we Pygmees have good eyes. That's enough light for me to work with. And yeah, I don't plan to losing a finger. I'm already only three feet tall, I don't want to get any shorter! Ha!"

Ota takes care to stash his classy clothes away before dirtying himself at work. Shirtless, he takes care to handle the fishing nets as he is told. The snakemaster and him wait for any fish to take the bait...as nothing happens for quite a while, Ota answers his fellow.
    "Well, I was trained as a shipworker, actually. My people used to fish along the river and the sea shores with those little wooden boats, you know? Because I was too physically weak to be able to hunt properly. Later, I became a bard of sorts...But that's why I've never got any practical knowledge about foraging."
    Ota watches with amusement as Ubirajara's snake circles and hisses around Ntwa, who carefully remains a few meters away from her.
    "Even the men of my village that knew how to hunt didn't have a pet snake, though. How come?" asks Ota.

As the day passes on, Ota brings some more stomach-calming tea to Sophie, as he is instructed. He finds her busy with tools and calculations. Taking care not to put down the tea to a place where it could spill on the maps, Ota nods appreciatively.
    "Special delivery for our brand new navigant! It's on the house."
    He gazes at Sophie's focused visage and precise movements.
    "...but it seems you've found your own remedy against sea sickness! Look at you, you don't seem ill at all!...can I steal you a sip, then?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

The bokor takes off his decoration and dives into learning this skill that may prove vital some day. He finds Piet pleasingly straightforward and honest. Piet, for his part, finds Rattlebone surprisingly open to instruction, both emotionally and intellectually. He may enjoy his shock value, but Rattlebone is no individualist. After hearing a lecture, the gun crew runs through two practice shots with a cannon and two with a ballista, and when Piet leaves, the bokor is cleaning bores and applying mineral oil to fight corrosion.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Hmm..." Eldon thinks for a moment as he watches Ota and Ubirajara walk into the kitchen. Then he looks at Genoveva with a bitter smile , "Well, I wish I could be of more help. Maybe later there will be a appropriate job for me. But for now, can I join Ubirajara's team of cooks? They have to prepare food for all of the crew members. An extra hand would surely increase their efficiency and quality of their food."

19. - Top - End - #49

WhiteWizardGirl

Sophie is roused from her concentration by the smaller man's arrival. She dries the pen on a small rag and sets it aside. Her work, even with her level of detail, didn't keep her so busy that she didn't have several minutes at a time to talk to people.

"Hmm? Oh, no, I haven't quite figured out how to deal with that yet." She doesn't seem to have arrived at the same conclusion as Ota. "Please, help yourself. I still have this.

I saw you fishing earlier: have you seen any of the indigenous ichthyes yet?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh well, alright then. I'm most grateful", answers the Pygmee as he starts to drink the tea in earnest. He ponders a moment, thinking about the afternoon's fishing.
    "You mean the fish, right? We've caught a couple, yes. To be honest, they all look like standard Caribbean fish to me, no particular Port-au-Prince fish, though your expert eye might say otherwise." Ota then circles around the table to stand by Sophie's side and have a clearer view of the map.

"Say, where are we heading currently? This one?" He points to the nearest of the Lesser Antilles islands.

After spending a while discussing geography, Ota returns to the kitchen - and discovers a new cook-in-second has been joining.
    "Hey, hello Eldon!" Ota quickly rinses off the cup of tea and stashes it to dry.

"So you're going to be a master of the food as well? Congratulations! Here, let me show you how this is done - Ubirajara, I'm speaking under your control -" The small sailor then proceeds to repeat everything the snakemaster has been teaching him on the afternoon: where to store the tools, how to keep the kitchen clean and well organized, how to plan the menus ahead of time given what's in the larder...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The next three days pass in a blur of anarchy that steadily approaches monotony, the food is simple fare. Fish stews are always good sailor food and these are served large and often enough to keep the hard-working crew from any complaints. The course is set well, allowing for good time and avoiding all but one very sudden period of high winds and while the Dutchman continues grumbling he's glad to see the guns will remain in good condition should they ever be needed. The ship's belly is as raucous as any you've seen before, with coin, blades and ration being lost or won in a set of card and dice games that run long into the night. For those of you unused to working on this sort of small compact vessel it's bizarre. For those who have lived it before it's almost homely.

(How do you settle in now a routine aboard the ship has been established?)

The routine changes early on the third day, when the Captain emerges at dawn just as the shifts are switching out. You were all lucky enough to avoid this night shift, and so are fresh and rested.

”Listen up now good sailors! For our mission is now to truly begin.” He calls from the forecastle, a booming voice louder than it perhaps should be.
    ”Soon we shall approach Granada, the southernmost Ile in our scouting mission. For a long time known to those who sail these waters, but we must scout her nonetheless as new mysteries still stand to be uncovered.” He points forwards, and those sailors near the side or still in the rigging can look to see a slight green smudge on the horizon.

”Now, one half of your number will be staying aboard the ship to ensure this beauty is free to carry us onwards along with the good Piet, while the others travel inwards to gather provisions or scout out the coast for rivers, coves and sites of great importance. Accompanied of course by myself, Esteban María Vicencio del Ripperdá y López del Hierro, your humble captain.”

He accentuates the final sentence with a grin and a flourish as Genoveva steps forward, still grinning at the sailors below. Those of you who have just come up will be travelling onto the island today, with the exception of Roisin, Olavo Lopes and Gwres Conway. The rest of you, prepare yourselves and your equipment. First boats cast off in a half hour as I reckon it. If you wish to see the islands again, I’d advise you not to be tardy.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-01 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

The last three days have been restful and instructive, Ota learning the trade of being a fisherman and a cook from Ubirajara's lead. On this morning, Ota, still have asleep, refrains a yawn as all the sailors are assembled to hear the captain speaking. However, his announcement wakes him up in an instant. The Pygmee throws an elbow in Eldon's side, grinning.
    "Hey Eldon, the captain said half of us were to go ashore, but the crew's an odd number! Do you think us two combined count for only one man"

After which the Pygmee prepares himself for the ongoing exploration. He verifies his pistol is properly fastened and the powder is dry. He checks for his dagger one more time. He fills his waterskin with fresh water. The Pygmee then fills his Pocket with miscellaneous small trinkets he has amassed over the years, finishing by a measure of Shapesand, one of his most useful possessions. Then, looking around to ensure he is not heard, Ota murmures to himself twice, and touches his Parrot in a comforting stroke. The small man feels a surge of power course his body, and basks in the pleasant feeling. The sailor then returns on the deck, preparing to embark on the raft that will lead them all ashore.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using Aquatic Adaptation invocation: fo 24 hours, Ota gains a 20ft swim speed, can breathe underwater, and can make his breath weapon work underwater.
    Using Endure Exposure invocation on himself and on his Parrot familiar Ntwa: for 24 hours, they benefit from the effects of Endure Elements, and Ntwa is now immune to Ota's breath weapon.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Ubirajara give the small man a nod and eventually correct something or another. He spend the following days trainning them to run his errands, help prepare ingredients, check the lines and net and washes dishes. By the end of the third day there was less people yelping when Eçaiara crawled too close.

The indigenous cook cant help but curse a bit in his native tongue when he's awakened at dawn. Eyeing the sun in the horizon he say one last curse before he prepare breakfast, tasking both Eldon and Ota to help out.

"Captain want to go soon, so lets be quick. Warm the milk and water, you help me prepare something for our breakfast", he says and start preparing some gruel for those go gearing up for the exploration. Once they're done eating, he gear up and fill his waterskin with water and prepare a few snacks for the go.

When time comes to get on board the boat to the island, Ubirajara whistle and wait for Eçaiara to climb him and wrap itself around his right hand. He double check his equipments and make sure to take the healer's kit along for this exploration.

24. - Top - End - #54

WhiteWizardGirl

Sophie was up early, as she was every morning. Over the past few days, she was starting to handle seasickness better, though there were still a few... missed meals. Regardless, belowdecks the feeling wasn't as bad, and with a bit of concentration she could even study her spellbook. It was for that reason that she was up early sitting in the mess area, snacking on some old biscuits in the morning.

With her mind fresh with arcane studies, she packs up and heads excitedly out to explore Grenada. Her backpack is weighed down a bit with a few glass jars, a large mostly empty notebook, and what appears to be a bug catcher's net strapped to the side. She stands towards the front of the ship, eagerly watching the nearing green island...
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon washes the last dish in the kitchen while laughs at Ota's joke. "Ha! We're certainly more capable than one man if we combined together. And I hope the captain won't give us half-man salary because of that." He nods to Ubirajara and goes to check his package.

The church or the archangel did prepare everything he would need. "Bedroll, flint and steel, magic rations... That will come in handy." Then he picks up the dagger and wears it on his belt. "Wish I don't need to use it." Finally he walks out of cabin and joins with other crews. He makes a deep breath. This is his first adventure, he certainly hope he can meet some locals and offer his help.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-07-02 at 12:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Rattlebone falls more easily into the shipboard routine than some fellow sailors; the Captain's crew selection seems to include more neonates than is typical. But at the same time, he holds himself somewhat apart from the older hands. The crew's quarters are too rowdy to concentrate well on the presence of the loa.

The bokor even finds someone rifling through his equipment, about to drink down the ritual rum used to draw veves. The flash of anger in his eyes scares away the sot, and he gets more space and more quiet thereafter, but he has to spend some time repairing his reputation with the sailors. The profession draws many superstitious people, and a magician can't afford to ignore superstitions. Taking the 'graveyard shift' helps earn some goodwill while also strengthening Rattlebone's occult reputation. How can he do his work so quickly in almost complete darkness? ...

Sophie and Rattlebone cross paths around dawn a couple days, when she's starting her day and he's ending his. When the captain makes his announcement, though, the bokor is fresh up from a nap, taken off the night shift by Genoveva. He finds himself eager to leave the Vensinda for a while. Preparing his luggage at the same time as Eldon and Ota, he addresses the 'pair of deuces', as some sailors have started calling them. "You'll be going to shore? Hah, I think they're pushing off their problems for a while -- the creepy man, the two dwarfs who don't know ships; I would bet gold to your silver that Ubirajara is coming too. I hope so. He's an honorable and smart man, and he knows plants better than most." Rattlebone hefts his pack. "Come to think of it, that scholar woman, Sophie, I'm sure won't miss a chance to stare at the plants and animals. A good thing, too. They won't leave us behind while she's ashore -- wouldn't want to leave without the navigator!"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota grins back at Rattlebone.
    "I don't have any silver, but I'll take your gold all the same! All the more if we're paid half the wage", winking to Eldon. Ota indicates to Rattlebone as Sophie comes atop the main deck, burdened with all her observation tools, and Ubirajara pets his snake that has coiled around his arm.
    "Which one of us you think will embarrass himself first when we leave the ship? I'm hesitating between one of us two needing a stool to hop off the rowboat, or Sophie gracefully bringing the fish of this morning's breakfast back to the sea on the way to the coast..." the Pygmee poiting first at both himself and Eldon and then their navigator.

Ota closes in towards Sophie a little.
    "I hope you take no offense from the joke, tell me if that's the case. You know, at some point you'll get used to seasickness, while I'll never stop being four feet tall. So while your joke opportunities are endless, I enjoy mine while they last!" On his shoulder, Ntwa facepalms.

More serious, Ota thinks about what the tales say about the island of Granada. He raises his hand to attract the attention of the captain.
    "Captain, if I may?" Once granted the authorisation to talk, he explains to the crew going to the shore:
    "I recall that the place was tentatively colonised several times, but the natives thwarted all attempts, until a French squad came in and butchered them all. The French didn"t carry on the colonization, though, and the place's occupied again by some scrappy Caribs...so pay attention, all, the place's not uninhabited."
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-07-03 at 05:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ah, thank you Tall Tale but do not worry. By all accounts the French drove off the Caribs some time ago. Some may have travelled here from other islands since but they stick to the interior and have rightly learned to fear our guns and steel. Any account of them striking down more recent arrivals is nothing more than a ghost story. Now get set to packing, the sooner we’re there the sooner we’re gone and the less worrying you must do about the old tribes.

Discussions continue on as near half the sailors fall down into the hammocks and other bunks hoping to rest with many more clamouring to get their kit ready, or else to be the first in line for breakfast. A small group stay on the rigging for a few more minutes as you draw ever closer to the verdant island and within thirty minutes the anchor has been cast and the ship stops. The longboats are lowered down slowly into the water and begin being loaded with crew, nets and those barrels or water skins that have been emptied so far.

The small craft take several trips to unload the full complement onto the beautiful white beach, looking ahead there is a stretch of rocky land with only short coarse grasses and behind that a huge expanse of jungle that seems to reach up over the islands volcanic peak. Clear blue waters fill the shallow bay you emerged from and no clear sign of previous human habitation can be observed.

The Captain takes charge of many sailors and sets them to unload the equipment off the boats while Genoveva organises all the rest into groups of two or three, the kitchen crew are swiftly put into one group and a lack on enthusiasm to work with either the academic or the Pygmy leads to them being set as a pair.

With that Genoveva approaches and lays out the two sites they need extra hands at, either group can go to either place or both groups may choose the same.
    ”The first site we must see to is the heights to the west, that the French called the Tour de la mer. It would make a good watchtower. It’s said the natives lived there once, so there must be wood, game and water. The other is Grand Anse beach, a section of marshland and beach that could prove a lovely landing site and is rich in crabs, birds and fresh water to replenish our own stocks.

So where does each group go?
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-03 at 07:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Ubirajara is quiet during the short sailing to the unknown island, doing his best to avoid the sunlight and get a little bit more rest before they land.

He listen to the captain and nods, "So we explore and headback in an hour, right?".

Upon confirmation, Ubirajara gather the cooking team and, seeing Rattlebone and Sophie not being picked, waves to the navigator and cannoneer.

"Maybe we can tag along: if we are to have crabs for dinner we better have as much hands as needed". Truth be told, he wanted as much numbers as he could, being the coward he is. Also the small helpers probably wont be able to gather much crabs before their weight slowed them down and Ubirajara wasnt exactly fond of hard work.

Spoiler: Vote
    Show
    Grand Anse Beach

As if trying to convince the other group to tag along, the indigean look at Sophie, "Maybe you can even draw some crabs there".

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering Ubirajara's proposal, Rattlebone gazes uphill to the west with a studiedly stoic expression. He grasps his Living God symbol and murmurs for a short time in an unfamiliar African-sounding language.

"I'll return to the mountains some day, but I don't think this day is the one. I'll go with you folk to Grand Anse. A moment while I prepare. Caribs there may not be, but territorial beasts or unknown pirates ..." He takes a crossbow from his personal supplies -- a beautiful ebon mechanism with a wicked blade secured to the front. It issues a quiet creak as he pulls back and locks the string without emplacing a bolt. After resettling his gear, he indicates he's ready to leave. "Ladies first. Dragons, cooks and charmers too. If danger should approach from ahead, I'll shoot over your shoulder; if from behind, may my rattling bones get stuck in its craw."

Some of the sailors give Rattlebone strange and wary looks, his caution seeming out of place for a bright day on a lusciously green island. One shakes herself and glances toward the group already heading west.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-07-04 at 02:55 AM.