New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Golden Age of Sail IC

Hearing Ubirajara's plan, Eldon hesitates a second. He would rather go to find the natives, or what was left of them. But he is part of the kitchen crew now, and cooperation is important in this place. So he nods to Ubirajara and picks up some equipment. "Crabs and birds. Got any thoughts on this two?"

Then he hears Rattlebone's guarantee. "Well, locals must know something about this island that we don't. It will be better if we talk to them first. Besides, you have to shoot over many shoulders to hit the front target. I'm going to count your word for it." Eldon gesticulates a flying arrow and shrugs.

And he remembers the famous "Tall tale".
    "So, Ota. You're an experienced adventurer. Have you ever met any pirates?"
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-07-04 at 04:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't particularly care one way or the other," answers cheerfully Ota to his cook. He gives a small wink to the indigean, and picks up a pebble to skip it in the sea. His attention is then caught by Rattlebone mumbling in some strange dialect.

"Uh? What was that, mate? Doesn't seem like a European language...where did that come from?" As Rattlebone only answers with a mysterious smile, Ota smiles in return.
    "Alright, alright. Fair enough. I guess I owed you one for your introduction about my dragon abilities, the other day ".

"And, mate, why so serious? There's not a hint of danger ahead, is there? We're not at war with anyone here, it's juste a peaceful exploration mission, right?" That obtains some relieved nods from the sailors that were estranged by Rattlebone's somewhat sinister behaviour. Ota nonchalantly marches along with the group heading towards the marsh, while Ntwa enjoys the opportunity to roost in the forest.

The Pygmee starts to chatter with the exalted sailor.
    "Well, have I ever met pirates? Certainly. I used to be one, from time to time. I mean, technically, when we overthrew that French slaver crew back then, we became pirates with regard to the French kingdom, so that's that,", chuckles Tall Tale. "It happened once or twice I had the opportunity to investigate a rumor in a particularly pirate-friendly hideout, and you know, when in Rome do as the Romans do. And that got me the chance to see a fair share of pirates up close too. The thing is, I never got in a full-on pirate board attack, and maybe that was your question." Ota drinks a sip from his waterskin, as speaking a lot parches out his throat.
    "What about you, though? Any encounter with a scourge of the seas or three?" Ota is pleased, this is exactly the kind of discussion he enjoys most. He listens to Eldon's tale with enthusiasm.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    "And, mate, why so serious? There's not a hint of danger ahead, is there? We're not at war with anyone here, it's juste a peaceful exploration mission, right?"
    "That's possible, friend Ota," Rattlebone replies. "But peace is easier to keep when the warlike can count your cannons." His posture does ease somewhat thanks to the Pygmee subtly pointing out the effect he had on the other sailors.

Spoiler: Also
    Show
    "Why so serious, Batman?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Genoveva sternly reminds you to be back within eight hours, and to bring full waterskins back with you if there’s. She then heads over to another group and gets to work organising them.

Soon after you head off and a short trek through the jungle later you arrive at a mangrove lagoon, thick roots plunging into the murky salty water. Muddy banks either side of the main lagoon are covered in small shellfish and birds looking for food buried in the sands, most of the larger crabs live in amongst the root bundles of these trees.

Slightly inland there is a clear stream that feeds the lagoon with fresh water. It flows down from an overgrown slope with a few rocky outcrops emerging beyond it, all covered in heavy vegetation. You can see many insects flit through this stretch of jungle but no larger animals are readily apparent.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aaah, there we go!" Ota happily exclaims at the lovely sight before his eyes. "Alright boss," he says to Ubirajara, "so my job is all about catching some crabs, right? Let's get to work."

Ota reaches the sandy shore, and looks for the crabs scuttling through the roots. He does his best to catch them before they disappear, and to store them in his fishing net as best as he can. The small Pygmee asks one of the crewmen to help him maneuver the rather heavy - for Ota, at least - fishnet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Untrained Survival check to catch the crabs: (d20)[20]
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Eight hours?", he confirm with Genoveva before taking a look at the sky and cursing. The sun will be high before they're done. With a sigh, he take his crew to catch some crabs, but seems unusually moody today. Maybe it was the pirate talk or maybe it was the curse bestowed upon him.

Spoiler: Curse of the Sun
    Show
    He's dazzled for as long as he remains in bright light.

@DM: Since Ubirajara is duergar, I've talked to the ither DM to roleplay it as being a curse he reveived from his crimes back in his tribe - which also inckuded the exile on Snake's Island

Once they reach the beach, he whisper something to Eçaiara and the snake almost seem to nod back to him.

"Alright guys, let me.guide through this crab hunt...", he says and start to give them direction and a quick tutorial on catching those pincer-happy, murk water dwellers. He demonstrated a couple of times before letting them try their luck. While the rest is busy hunting, he walk a close perimeter, looking for signs wild beasts or other humanoids, as well as foraging for crab, herbs (specially poisonous ones), fresh water and remarkable land sites that could be useful for the Vensinda's crew.

Spoiler: Herbalist Eyes
    Show
    Ubirajara plan on trekking around the party looking for game and danger. He'll cast Detect Poison once away from hearing but wont go far enough for the others to lose sight of him. Ecaiara will help him looking for tracks and acenting the presence of any animals.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2019-07-05 at 10:43 AM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

With the go ahead from Genoveva, Sophie eagerly hurries towards the lagoon. It's beautiful, certainly: the unspoiled nature of the Caribbean lagoon. But Sophie is a scientist! Beauty is secondary to understanding.

She takes her time picking through the lagoon, looking closely at the wildlife that roams the area. She spends her time gathering a few snails and other small specimens in her glass jars, doing her best to turn the jar into a microcosm of the place she found them. She's far from quiet: anyone that draws to close to her she sucks into a vortex of conversation about what she's seeing.

"Rattlebone, look!" She excitedly holds up a fairly large gecko that is clinging to her hand. "Haha, a turnip-tail! I've only seen reports of them in the Americas! I wonder how they got to this island. Do you think they can swim all that distance..?"
    ---
    She walks across the rocks and helps Ota, a bit, with the net. "Ooh, Coral Crabs! Usually they don't come up this far onto shore, but it makes sense they're in the area. Do you think some storm washed them up recently?"
    ---
    "Ujirabara, stop!" It's the most forceful Sophie's seemed since boarding the Vensinda. She scurries over to him and crouches down next to a brownish looking frog. "God, he could have hopped right under your foot. Hello... I've never seen you before. What a lovely solid brown... large toe discs..." She flips him over, much to the frog's chagrin. "Are you a Pristimantis of some kind..." She starts coaxing it into her jar.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota, guided bu Ubirajara'x expert hand, is quick to retrive the crustaceans. He is slowly moving his hand towards an unsuspecting crab so as not to startle it away, knee deep in the murky water, when Sophie arrives and makes an excited comment. The animal is quick to escape behind a gnarly root. Ota, half-smiling, turns to answer Sophie before seeing she has already stormed away, asking new questions to their cook. That gets him to smile even more.
    "Alright, alright. Let's take a break here." Tall Tale asks his sailor partner if he can carry on without him for a few moments, and joins Sophie as she is busy capturing an exotic-looking toad.

"Impressionnant. I have to admire your enthusiasm," says Ota in a fluent French. "They say you can never know too much things. Show me some, if you will, and then give me a hand again for the crabs?" Ota then follows Sophie around as she exposes him the wonders of nature around them, trying to commit the maximum to memory.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    "Rattlebone, look!" She excitedly holds up a fairly large gecko that is clinging to her hand. "Haha, a turnip-tail! I've only seen reports of them in the Americas! I wonder how they got to this island. Do you think they can swim all that distance..?"
    "It holds on tight, eh? Maybe it caught a ride on a pelican. Or an early French ship." He seems bemused but interested, lacking familiarity with the methods and goals of science.

Rattlebone watches for a while as the more experienced people draw and bag crustaceans. He can't really get the concept, though, and when he offers to help he causes about as much trouble as he saves, including knocking heads with another worker. Even with the waves, wind and wildlife making noise, a "KLOK!" is audible several paces away. A few minutes later, predator becomes prey when something under the water nips his foot hard enough to draw blood. With ill grace he decides to sit the rest out.

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, a little one", he suspend his step and wait for Sophie to pick it, "Just be cautious: some froga are poisonous and touching then with your barehands might be deadly", he says and focuses on the frog, "Not this one though".

Ubirajara mood seems to have improved a little bit as the indigean work to catch the crabs and even get a chuckle a few times as Rattlebone is attacked by a few crabs.

"Maybe you can fill the waterskins since water dont bite?", he suggest to the odd character.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon follows Ubirajara's instruction and somehow masters crab hunting pretty quick. His movement is fast and accurate despite the water reflection."Ha, this is easier than I thought. I always feels the connection between me and the ocean." He thinks for a moment and goes back to crab hunting.

With Sophie running around and collecting staffs, Eldon has to stop his work for a while. "Hey, Sophie. Just out of curiosity. What are you going to do with these creatures? I mean, they won't live long in jars right?"

Then he hears Ubirajara's suggestion. He walks towards Rattlebone, "Are you all right, Rattlebone? Do you need healing? If you're fine. Maybe we can go get some water for the ship crew."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As you all wade amongst the Lagoon you take in a good haul of crab and a few crayfish, filling up a large net. Ubirajara’s search goes quite well, he spies a manchineel tree some way further along the coast. Sophie spies many small creatures she has a varying familiarity with, Rattkebone is having less fun but overall all remains peaceful.

That is until Eldon wades up the Lagoon, intending to fetch the fresh water. One moment he’s slipping past what looks like a simple dead log floating in the water. The next, the flat water has erupted and a huge shout filled with uncountable teeth reaches towards him. A black scaly crocodile.

Crocodile Attack (Eldon is flat-footed) (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+6)[12]

Grapple Check: Crocodile: (1d20+4)[9] Eldon: (1d20-4)[13]

Iniative:
    Uribaja: (1d20+1)[21]
    Rattlebone: (1d20-5)[-3]
    Sophie: (1d20-4)[3]
    Ota : (1d20+1)[10]
    Eldon: (1d20+2)[18]
    Crocodile: (1d20+1)[4]

(Everyone else is 40ft away from this point, if Rattlebone came with Eldon he will instead be 10ft away)

The crocodile goes to strike the simple sailor only to veer off course and bite down on air, Eldon is saved seemingly by the whims of fate.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-07 at 03:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"What the...Wow, watch out Eldon!" Alerted by the noise of the reptile, Ota, who was kneeling and observing a flower Sophie was pointing him, jumps on his feet and rushes to the scene of the fight. Ntwa, panicked, flees to perch in a high branch, far away from the crocodile's reach.

Ota scuttles along on his little legs as soon as they allow him to. He reaches the edge of the bog, where he has a clear sight to the crocodile apart from the anguished Eldon.
    "Eldon, don't move yet!"
    Concentrating, the small sailor takes his aim...rears his head back to take a deep breath...and opens his mouth to unleash a white-hot lightning bolt, that sizzles through the air with a deafening clap of thunder. The arc of energy imprints upon everyone's retina for a few dazzling moments, and even though it has only lasted a split second before vanishing in the air, its imprinted image persists long enough for those who pay attention to figure out the bolt's trajectory. In a jagged line from Ota's mouth through the crocodile's scaly silhouette, to a dead tree behind in which the bolt dissipates. All the while missing Eldon's skin by a matter of inches.

Show

Move action: move 15ft towards the crocodile so as to have a clear shot on it without striking Eldon as well.
    Standard action: breath weapon with the Lightning Breath effect applied: the breath weapon is turned into a 30ft long electricity line. Reflex save DC 15 for half, damage: (2d6)[8]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"¡Maldición!" Eldon has no time to react when the log suddenly attacks him. It could be the moment of life or death. But with the Archangel's blessing, the creature misses its attack by merely few mils.
    With Eldon's limited knowledge, he still manages to recognize the crocodile. And since he has no way to communicate with it, he has to fight for his survival.
    "Guys! Stay away from the crocodile! It will try to pin you down with its bite. HOPS!"
    He activates one of his artifact and teleport back to the shore. Then he makes a few gestures and points it to the crocodile.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Swift Action: activate anklet of translocation to teleport 10ft away to the shore.

Standard Action: shoot eldritch blast at the crocodile.
    Attack (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage (1d6+1)[7]

Move Action: Move 20ft towards the other crews.

A string of black fire appears from his palm and strikes the crocodile. Without assessing the damage, Eldon turns around and run towards his crews.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-07-08 at 07:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

And he just told the water didnt bite. The indinegean is quick to react and get his bow but not before both little guys show their european magic.

Too late to peacefully cower the crocodile and avoid a combat. At least they would have some exotic meat for dinner.

Moving to get a clear shot, he aim the bow and once more complain about the sun burning his sight. He let out a single shot at the water predator.

Spoiler: Simple Shot
    Show
    (1d20+2)[15] dmg (1d6+1)[3]

He's using normal arrows (not interested in poisoning the dinner tonight). Added bonus from PBS and penalty from being dazzled.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The crocodile’s reptilian eyes go wide as it misses what it thought was easy prey. Shudders in pain as magic and arrows alike shudder into it’s scaly flank. It bursts back into the deep parts of the water and swims swiftly 15ft upstream out of the lagoon and up into the freshwater stream.

(Still in initiative, but unless you want to hunt the crocodile down no other enemies are apparent.)
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-08 at 02:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

The indingean knows that its the way of Nature to both be predator and prey and thus give the fleeing crocodile no respite: his mood was still sour despise the friendly and peaceful morning and he already had planned a few good dinners with it as the main course that he could use to impress his new captain.

"Dont let it escape! It's our dinner!", the cook shout as he follow the beast and send another arrow flying into the water toward the crocodile.

Spoiler: Aquatic Shot
    Show
    According to the underwater combat rules, ranged attacks take -2 for every 5ft of water they cross.

Attack: (1d20+2)[3] dmg (1d6+1)[2]

The rolls are counting PBS but if Ubirajara can move to get into 30ft of it, reduce his attack and damage by -1.
    Reduce it by -2 for every 5ft as the situation is.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The sound of crackling electricity causes Sophie to jump up from what she was doing. She is startled at all the action going on. "What? Are we hunting now? Ooh, look at that black coloration! Wonderful!"

She has a happy smile on her face as she watches the crocodile swim away. "This place is positively teeming with critters!"

She makes no moves to attack the crocodile. In fact, if there was a fight going on at all, she doesn't seem to be any the wiser.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is it, boss? Ok, got it!" Ota is a little surprised to hear there's to be crocodile stew at the menu of the sailors tonight, but as long as there's no Eldon stew at the menu of the crocodile...relieved to see Eldon out of danger, the Pygmee moves closer to keep the fleeing reptile within range of his power, and once again unleashes a streak of lightning that goes striking the beast in the river.

Show

Move action: get 15ft closer to the croc to keep it within 30ft range.
    Standard action: electricity line, Ref DC 15 for half. (2d6)[4].
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-07-08 at 03:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon looks back, the crocodile is under fierce attacks by the kitchen crew. It has been hit hard and now tries to escape. He is not interested in crocodile cuisine. But it is probably better to clear out this threat for future water fetching. So he raises his hand again and activate his gloves. "ENTROPY!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Swift Action: activate gloves of eldritch admixture to spend 1 charge.

Standard Action: shoot eldritch blast (ranged touch attack) at the crocodile.
    Attack (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage (3d6+1)[14]

(not sure about the underwater battle penalty, please deduct it for me. )
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-07-09 at 03:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Momentarily flummoxed, Rattlebone recovers quickly enough to snap off a shot with that crossbow he's been bragging about. "The wildlife tries to make dinner of me, seems fair enough ... and the hide should be valuable, too."

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    I can probably get multiple shots in before facing range penalties, one per round. Here's a few for the first 240' of range and/or any crit confirmation needed, threatening on a 19 or 20.
    (d20+4)[5] to hit, (d8)[4] damage
    (d20+4)[24] to hit, (d8)[1] damage
    (d20+4)[14] to hit, (d8)[5] damage
    (d20+4)[24] to hit, (d8)[6] damage
    (d20+4)[9] to hit, (d8)[6] damage
    (d20+4)[24] to hit, (d8)[4] damage

While placing another bolt on the stock, Rattlebone says, "Ota, that was astonishing. I'll have to ask you ..." TWANG!! "... more about those dragon stories. The truth seems more vivid than the tales I've heard!"

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

The crocodile puts on a burst of speed, making it out of sight and around the corner within a few seconds. Still Rattlebone fires a few arcing shots after it. You don’t see anything, but a few seconds later the corpse of the beast drifts round the bend and back into sight.

(Everybody gains 150 XP)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Boss, the dinner is here!" yells Ota to Ubirajara. He jogs to the corpse and pokes it with a stick to ensure the beast is truly dead. The crocodile, both shot through with mundane and magical bolts, is a sore sight.

Ota checks his clothes are all alright, and washes off the sweat from his brow. A relieved Ntwa comes back perching on his shoulder. Ota walks up to Rattlebone and Sophie, grinning.
    "They don't call me Tall Tale for nothing, do they? The truth is even taller! What you've seen here is more or less what I witnessed on the day the dragon broke free, aboard the slaver's ship that was carrying me to be sold off in Europe. Dragons have a way of leaving a profound imprint on you, you see...what you guys witnessed here was a manifestation of that imprint, if you want...perhaps you'll get the opportunity to see more of it later!". The mischevious Pygmee winks at both of them. He has made sure all the other sailors have heard as well.
    "Sophie, here was the first part of the story I have refused to deliver on our first day on board! I hope you agree it was worth waiting a little for it!"

The little sailor then goes on to check on Eldon.
    "Are you alright? By the arse of Davy Jones, its jaws got so close! I was really scared we'd lose you there...though it turns out you know quite well how to defend yourself. What about those blasts you just produced earlier?" Ota squints to see right into Eldon's forthright eyes. He takes a serious, secretive tone.
    "You've seen one too?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    The little sailor then goes on to check on Eldon.
    "Are you alright? By the arse of Davy Jones, its jaws got so close! I was really scared we'd lose you there..."
    "I told you before, I'm good luck to have around." Rattlebone is wearing that smile again. He starts stripping off his light jacket -- a French design, it looks like, with bronze buttons -- and says, "I'll make a litter to haul the beastie back, if one or two of you gentlemen will donate a shirt."

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

“Well, I’m fine. That was really close.” Eldon swallows when he thinks of it. “If the crocodile bit me, I would be as good as dead. This could be divine intervention, you know?” He looks at sky and thinks for a moment.
    Hearing Ota's mysterious tone. He lowers his head at looks at Ota..“Seen one? No, sorry. I've never seen a dragon before. But judging by the power you showed. We’re similar in approach but different in source. Remember that I mentioned an otherworldly mentor before? I don’t think it is what you’re looking for.” He shakes his head regretfully.

"Anyway. I learnt a lesson today. Water does bite, sometimes." Eldon shrugs and takes off his cloth shirt. He hands it to Rattlebone. "Is it good enough for a crocodile?"
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-07-11 at 03:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The indigean put his bow back to his shoulders and ran to check on his staff, "I wasnt really thinking that when I told you water dont bite. Are you hurt?", he give the small Eldon a quick look before stoping Eldon, "Let me give the shirt myself: I never understood why you civilized guys walk dressed anyway. Way diferent back in my tribe where people would paint themselves and only use ceremonial clothes during rituals".

The snakemaster remove his shirt and give to Ota, revealing a slim and scarred torso and back, "What you plan to do with it anyway?"

With the sun burning in his back, he take a look at the water and look out for more crocodiles or aumilar predators, "I think we already found enough crabs and the crocodile was an interesting boon of nature for us. Let's fill the waterskins and start to get ready to return to the ship. I'll give ine last look around to see if I can find ant fruitbearing tree or any herb that could be useful for our travels".

Spoiler: Foraging Druid
    Show
    Not sure how long we got before time is over and how far the ship is.

If the water seems free of more crocodiles, he'll task the others to either fish those waters or fill the waterskins while he take another look around the area searching for herbs and fruits.

"You know about the nature world, right?", he direct his attention to Sophie, "Maybe you can help me herbpicking or you could draw the area. That why you took the notes with you, right?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sophie watches with a interest as the others make quick work of the crocodile. She can't hide her fascination with Ota's breath, nor does she try to.

"I just have more questions now! Was that purely magical, or have you grown some sort of galvanic organ? For that matter, how did you not expose your own body to the path of lightening? Did the dragon do the same? That is, emit electrical charges from its maw?"

Ujirabara saves Ota from the endless stream by asking her to be useful, however. "Oh... sure! But no, these are biological notes," she turns the book towards Ujirabara, showing a few anatomical-looking lizard sketches. "I think the best way to handle charting the island might be to start from the boat and circumnavigate. But I can help looking for edible foods and potable water."

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check? (1d20+2)[20]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Eyes still locked with Eldon's, Ota feels a surge of the same disappointment.
    "Ah...I see. We're both imprinted souls, but not because of the same source. I still respect that kind of marked spirit. You've witnessed something greater than yourself too."
    Ntwa gently nibbles at his master's ear to comfort him. For a moment they had thought they had found a kindred dragon seeker.

Lost in thought, Ota resumes his waterskin-filling process, at Ubirajara's urging. All the while, he organizes his thoughts to answer Sophie's multiple enquiries. Were he in a more light-hearted mood, he would find her ever-increasing enthusiasm endearing. Handing over an empty waterskin to another sailor for a moment, Ota swipes the sweat from his brow before answering the scientist.
    "Hmm. Tell you what Sophie, I've never once thought about that for the past fifteen years. I actually have no idea of the inner workings of my powers! I just sort of received the gift, not asking any questions about the specifics...Come to think of it, that applies to Eldon's powers as well!" Ota adds with more enthusiasm as his mental cogs start stirring.
    "And no, it was breathing acid, not lightning. But hey! I'd be glad to investigate that with you, Sophie!" Ota finishes with renewed motivation and a smile, resuming work at that.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

You eventually return to the launching beach well laden, taking in nets of crab and full waterskins as well as pouches of herbs and your full crocodile. You’re among the earlier groups to return and many are impressed with your bounty. Others return with different foods, baskets of small pomegranate-like fruits and several flanks of lizard flesh. More still were chosen to journey to the most distant parts of the island and only recorded the presence, rough location and potential utility of certain features.

As the captain’s group return you all re-embark the ship. The island is rounded once in the last good daylight to allow you to better place the scouted locations, then you continue northwards. Onwards into the knight.

Stories are shared aboard the ship about your expierience on the island and the sailing is fairly straightforward giving you enough free time to engage in some personal activity beyond your work. What do you do with it?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Once aboard again, Ota makes sure to properly store the various items he had laden himself with on the way in, and takes the time to scrub his clothes clean. Between the time spent helping Ubirajara at the kitchen, Ota takes the time to ponder the mysteries of the gift he has received. At the very least, he can help quench the curiosity of his fellow sailors, who have witnessed him spit out a gout of lightning with their own eyes. Oddly enough, the Pygmee has not been questioned about this any more by the crew after they have boarded back.
    I might have intimidated them into not wanting to know anymore than meets the eye. Well, I can change that for the better.

One morning, Ota goes to see Piet, the cannonmaster that seems to have taken a liking to his person. Walking over various ropes, oars and fishing equipment with the ease that comes with practise aboard a ship, the small man requests the attention of the booming giant, in English.
    "My respects, Mister Piet. If I can take five minutes from you, there is something I'd like to show to the whole crew about the abilities I've displayed on the island a few days ago. I want to show and to explain to everyone the way my gift works, to gain the trust of those that have felt estranged by what I have done. I'm going to see the Captain and ask him about that, unless you feel it's not worth his time and you want to fill him in personally later on. I'm ttelling you first, because I guess I can't have all the crew on the deck watching, so I'll have to explain to the crew a few batches of sailors at a time. I need ten minutes, no more, for the explanarion."

That said, Ota either sees to the captain directly, or waits for Piet to do so and bring the answer to him. He then goes to see Rattlebone.
    "Hey Rattlebone! Can, I steal five minutes of your time?" Once the sailor manages to free up some time for him, Ota walks him at the prow, where they're somewhat isolated. The Pygmee talks to the bokor in a somewhat confiential tone.
    "You know, about my dragonlike powers. You've reacted quite phlegmatically to that - I guess you've seen your share of bizarre stuff around here, your bird trick not being the least" Ota grins.
    "Thing is, it sort of freaked out some of the sailors with us back then. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm going to explain what's it's about to everyone. No good to have some distrust around in the crew. So here's the thing."
    Ota mentally calls to Ntwa, which flies down to perch atop the railing. The Pygmee extends his hand to gently touch the bird on the beak. Taking a step back, he then unleashes a small gout of lightning right on his familiar, making sure to have the effect small and unnoticable. The bird seems completely impervious to the effect of the breath.
    "You see, I can make whoever I touch immune to my gift. As an aside, it also makes people resistant to extreme heat or extreme cold. I want to show that to people - but I'm not sure they'll trust me if I use Ntwa for this purpose. So here you come. Would you agree to volonteer, before everyone, to my immunity-granting power and to be subsequently tested under my breath?"