New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Goblin Slayer

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Goblin Slayer

I think that making goblin slayer (From Goblin Slayer) would be fun. Because he has no "Special Powers" aside from his eyes, I feel that he should be quite easy.

"Solitary Hunting" Ranger (DM #347) for a few levels, focusing on the defensive combat style, using a short sword and buckler, obviously choosing goblins as his favored enemy. He might dip barbarian for the rage (Red Eyes Mode).

I just need to know how to properly focus him on being the BEST at killing goblins.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Goblin Slayer

Nah just figther who dumped int and wis then diped ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyBoi_Nezu View Post
    I think that making goblin slayer (From Goblin Slayer) would be fun. Because he has no "Special Powers" aside from his eyes, I feel that he should be quite easy.

"Solitary Hunting" Ranger (DM #347) for a few levels, focusing on the defensive combat style, using a short sword and buckler, obviously choosing goblins as his favored enemy. He might dip barbarian for the rage (Red Eyes Mode).

I just need to know how to properly focus him on being the BEST at killing goblins.
    The thing that makes him BEST at slaying goblins is not leaving anything to chance. He's actually very intelligent and an excellent tactician is main character flaw is rather his abysmal people skills and diminished sense of humanity / morality.

For emulating him I'd recommend a mix of two weapon fighting shield and ranged feats in. TWF with say short sword, light shield and torch / Lantern (access to touch attacks and energy damage) throw anything (he often uses his sword as a thrown weapon) You can also upgrade shield with torch holders (i forget the book offhand).There is also a feat called weapon and torch as well from dungeonscape. Dark stalker is another huge one.

Not using a lot of your gold for stuff like armor and weapons is also in character. I recommend dropping a few points in decipher script and spellcraft to get the synergy bonuses for UMD and maxing that since he's pragmatic enough to know he can't win every fight on skill alone. Trapping areas and using every means to win no matter how gruesome is also a huge part of his character poison, bite, kick, attack eyes and vitals.

I recommend ranger x/fighter 2 and perhaps a few levels of barbarian for rage and fast movement + uncanny dodge.

If your going to invest in magicial items thing that let you see but not be seen are king. Ring of dark hidden, goggles of night or ebon eyes (if you can get a reusable wiget of deeper darkness!) Ankets of translocation are another great one paired with diehard (since you get endurance from ranger as a bonus feat anyway). Belts of healing are another great item for the low low price of 750 gold.

For example if you go down still conscious from diehard, use anklets of translocation out of melee range and use your healing belt and stand up as a move action all in one round!

I hope this helps you out a bit if you need help emulating specific things I'm open to help.
    Last edited by Reprimand; 2019-06-04 at 12:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

He's a level 4 ranger.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    He's a level 4 ranger.
    Hardly, he is on par with the Guild's best, they even say so. Those guys tackle big things, things a 4th lvl ranger can't deal with

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

He's able to UMD a Gate scroll (DC 37). So he's probably pretty high level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    Use magic divice uses charisma not int as he has just enough int to qualify favorite enemy then he dumps rest along with wisdom to phcial stats and charisma
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Use magic divice uses charisma not int as he has just enough int to qualify favorite enemy then he dumps rest along with wisdom to phcial stats and charisma
    It's still a DC 37 check that doesn't allow taking 10. 5 ranks in Decipher Script and Spellcraft give +2 each. 10 ranks in UMD with 18 Cha would mean you need to roll a 19 to succeed.

If anything, he's probably a fighter bonus feat Rogue rather than a fighter or ranger.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

In a dragon mag there is a prestige class called sworn slayer witch is basically favored enemy the 5 level class. A quick look up on the internet says it was dragon mag 324. The same site also listed the entire class although since I dont know if that was legally done I wont link it myself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't know what a goblin slayer is but there is a special class in pathfinder that is a slayer. It is the mix between a rogue and an archer. It's pretty cool. If you put a level into wizard, for the eyes, and one into barbarian, for the rage, that could work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Everything Goblin Slayer does in the anime can be replicated in game by a 3rd level ranger.

Goblin Slayer
    Human Ranger 3
    ACFs: Champion of the Wild ACF (Complete Champion), Distracting Attack ACF (Player's Handbook2), Trap Expert ACF (Dungeonscape).

Feats:
    Human- Improved Shield Bash
    Level 1- Point Blank Shot
    Ranger Style (Archery)- Rapid Shot
    Level 3- Two Weapon Fighting

Skills: Craft (Alchemy), Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Survival, Hide and Move Silently

Favored Enemy- Humanoids (Goblinoids)

Those ACFs trade away Spells, Animal Companion and tracking, so he can level up higher without picking up anything that his character can't do. In exchange he gets bonus feats, better flanking and disable device and trap finding.

Goblin Slayer might be as strong as the top level adventurers in his world, but we haven't actually seen them do anything close to what upper level d&d character's can do (yet).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I would argue he takes one heck of a beating and keeps getting back up, at least in the manga I'm not certain how far along the anime is and he seems to be good at intimidating goblins so their is that.

Also level 3 seems slightly to low he reliably solos a half dozen standard goblins. Regular goblins are still a threat in sufficient numbers so obviously hes not level 20 or anything but id argue hes almost certainly higher than three.

But other than that most of the stuff he does is trick, gadget and knowledge based rather then mechanic based.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    did he umd a scroll or are scrolls in his setting usable by non casters?

part of the problem depicting a character like goblin slayer is he is crazy MAD hes strong but not super strong, hes agile but the elf is much more so, hes tough and that is likely one of his main stats, his int and wisdom are also top notch. At first glance his charisma is low but a lot of characters like him any way and he has several girls who have the hots for him so its probably not awful.
    Last edited by awa; 2019-06-05 at 12:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I think he'd be fairly well represented as a crusader (cause: destroy goblins) that somehow qualified for knowledge devotion. I know it doesn't cover his use of gate scroll, but we could maybe do one better. A martial script of Gate from an Arcane swordsage. That's getting into some smoked gouda, but somewhat plausible.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    In a dragon mag there is a prestige class called sworn slayer witch is basically favored enemy the 5 level class. A quick look up on the internet says it was dragon mag 324. The same site also listed the entire class although since I dont know if that was legally done I wont link it myself.
    I feel like you could waive the BAB requirement for that and just take it starting at level 1. It's not overly powerful and it fits the character well.

Class features:
    Full BAB, 1 good save (Fort), and Favored Enemy but with Move Silently too, Nemesis Feat, Save Bonus, and Assassin-like Death Attack
    The only possibly overpowered thing is the Slayer Attack, but goblins are horde monsters anyhow so taking 3 rounds to kill 1 is a bad idea.

If you're planning on actually playing this character, ask your DM. Outside of killing goblins, you're very limited by this class so I think it's fairly balanced.

__

If you do go ranger, Solitary Hunting from Dragon Magazine #347, page 91 is an option instead of Distracting Attack (with both trading away your animal companion). The former lets you add your Favored Enemy bonus on attack rolls as well as damage rolls which, again, is thematically fitting and comes online at 1st level instead of 4th.
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2019-06-05 at 07:52 PM.