New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: M&M build help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default M&M build help

I am joining a game of M&M and am new to the system. I am trying to make this wired character concept, a wizard/robot. the idea is a ghost fused with an AI. this is what i have so far, mostly taken from an article on how to make Dead man. this is a Power Level 10 game

elaborating on the concept. My characters name is Dr. Uir. He was an up incoming wizard and superhero, until the ban happened. in this game superheroes were banned. Dr. Uir(The Magi) and his friend Dr. Zo(The Roboticist) hide out in one of Dr. Zo's old labs trying to figure out their next move. the lab was attacked by the police. in the conflict Dr. Zo was horribly injured and Dr. Uir was killed. Dr. Zo used an experiment Nanobot virus to fix is wounds but was still captured. Dr. Uir refused to die and came back as a ghost. Dr. Zo is the only one who can see him(this excluded other people who can see ghost) the two now are trying to except prison.

Dr. Zo is a sidekick

V 1.2

Dr. Uir(The Dead Magi)

Stats

Str 0
    Agl 0
    Fig 0
    Awa 0
    Sta 0
    Dex 0
    Int 0
    Pre 0

Dod 0
    Par 0
    For 0
    Tou 0
    Wil 0

Powers

Spectral Form:
    Insubstantial 4 (Intangible; Not versus magic), Continuous, Innate, Permanent; 20 points
    Concealment 5 (Visual senses), Continuous, Permanent 5 points
    Flight 4 (30 MPH); 8 points
    Immunity 10 (Effects dependent on biology); 10 points
    Senses 4 (Vision Counters Invisibility, Auditory Counters Spiritual Concealment), Dimensional, Limited to Spirits/Astral Entities 4 points• 47 points

Ghostly Powers: Array • 29 points
    •Possession Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Affects
    Corporeal 10, Concentration, Cumulative, Insidious, Instant Recovery, Subtle 2,
    Limited to creatures with Int 5 or higher Dynamic • 25 points
    •Telekinisis: Move Object 10 Precise Quirk(can't effect these metals: Lead, Silver, Gold, Iron, and Copper), Quirk(can't effect object connected to divinity), Quirk(can't effect water or other liquids with water) Dynamic• 2 points
    •Spiritacal Drain: Weakness 13 (Stamina) Dynamic • 2 point

Advantages

Sidekick Rank 29

Dr. Zo(The Roboticist)

Stats: -52 points

Str -5
    Agl -5
    Fig -5
    Awa -5
    Sta -5
    Dex -5
    Int 9
    Pre -5

Dod -5
    Par -5
    For -5
    Tou -5
    Wil -5

Powers
    (I would like to change the armor massively)
    Nanotech armor: 115 points, Activation (Move) Removable(-1, can be removed by pulling the fusion reactor out of his chest, this is relatively easy)• 92 points total

Fusion Reactor: Enhanced Intellect 2; Quickness 4, Limited to Mental Tasks • 6 points

Armor: Protection 14, Impervious • 28 points

Boot Jets: Flight 6 (120 MPH) • 12 points

Weapon systems: Array (34 points)
    •Lazer beam: Ranged Damage 14 • 28 points
    • Enhanced Strength 14 • 1 point
    • Explosive Shells: Ranged Burst Area Damage 9 • 1 point
    • Energy Beam: Line Area Damage 12 • 1 points
    • Holographic Projection: Illusion 8 (visual and auditory) • 1 point
    • Sonic Attack: Burst Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Cumulative • 1 point
    • Tractor Beam: Move Object 12 • 1 point

Onboard Computer: Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4 and Parry 4), Enhanced Skills 12 (Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Ranged Combat: Weapons Systems 8 (+11)), Features 1 (AI) • 15 points

Self-Contained Environment: Immunity 10 (Life Support) • 10 points

Sensors: Senses 10 (Accurate Radio, Extended Vision, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 2, Radius Vision, Ultra-Hearing) • 10 points

Advantages 10 points

Benefit Rank 5 Billionaire
    Diehard
    Eidetic Memory
    Extraordinary Effort
    Ultimate Effort
    Jack-of-All-Trades
    Skills: 30 points

Expertise Biology 10
    Expertise Robotics 10
    Expertise Computer science 10
    Expertise Nuclear physics 10
    Technology 10
    Vehicles 10

Complications

Power Loss: after 2 hour away for a power bed the

Fusion Reactor giving him his powers runs out of fuel. loss all his powers.

Object: he counts as an object and can not be healed

Enemy: government agents(diving force in the game)

Disability: paraplegic, Blind and Deaf
    Last edited by Amdy_vill; 2019-06-09 at 08:55 PM.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: M&M build help

So your idea, if I'm reading this right, is that your character is a ghost, haunting his sidekick? Cool. I think you're right modeling this with the Sidekick advantage. As for the specific ghost stuff...
    • I dunno what article you read, but the book's recommended solution for undead and constructs (absent Stamina, Fortitude immunity) is terrible. It adds unnecessary weirdness to the damage rules, and a flat immunity really isn't appropriate. Rather, you want something like Immunity 10 (Effects dependent on biology). That way you can ignore a Fort-save Affliction that's poisoning you, but still be affected by one that's freezing you in a block of ice. That'll get you a big chunk of points back to play with.
    • Will immunity... I dunno if that's part of your character concept or part of being a ghost; I'd disagree with the second (you've still got a mind, after all). If the former... well, that's up to you. I'd consider adding Unreliable (50% chance of failure) or some other flaw to cut down on the cost.
    • Concealment 10 that can be used at the same time as attacks is, technically speaking, "obnoxious;" unless the GM heavily tailors encounters with you in mind, it's a brokenly good defense. Put it in an array, add the Passive or Resistible flaw, something like that.
    • I'm not sure you've priced out Possession right-- if I'm counting correctly, it should be worth 13 points...except that I don't think either of your Limited modifiers are proper limits. "Fighting things with animal intelligence" is seriously niche in most superhero games, and "making the bad guy blurt out information" is a very narrow use of a very broad condition. I'd say they're one-point Quirks, no more.
    • You should probably come up with some alternate effects of Possession for when it's not what you want to be doing. Telekinesis, for example, is pretty ghostly. Or some sort of life-drain, modeled as a Damage or Weaken effect.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

So your idea, if I'm reading this right, is that your character is a ghost, haunting his sidekick? Cool. I think you're right modeling this with the Sidekick advantage. As for the specific ghost stuff...
    • I dunno what article you read, but the book's recommended solution for undead and constructs (absent Stamina, Fortitude immunity) is terrible. It adds unnecessary weirdness to the damage rules, and a flat immunity really isn't appropriate. Rather, you want something like Immunity 10 (Effects dependent on biology). That way you can ignore a Fort-save Affliction that's poisoning you, but still be affected by one that's freezing you in a block of ice. That'll get you a big chunk of points back to play with.
    • Will immunity... I dunno if that's part of your character concept or part of being a ghost; I'd disagree with the second (you've still got a mind, after all). If the former... well, that's up to you. I'd consider adding Unreliable (50% chance of failure) or some other flaw to cut down on the cost.
    • Concealment 10 that can be used at the same time as attacks is, technically speaking, "obnoxious;" unless the GM heavily tailors encounters with you in mind, it's a brokenly good defense. Put it in an array, add the Passive or Resistible flaw, something like that.
    • I'm not sure you've priced out Possession right-- if I'm counting correctly, it should be worth 13 points...except that I don't think either of your Limited modifiers are proper limits. "Fighting things with animal intelligence" is seriously niche in most superhero games, and "making the bad guy blurt out information" is a very narrow use of a very broad condition. I'd say they're one-point Quirks, no more.
    • You should probably come up with some alternate effects of Possession for when it's not what you want to be doing. Telekinesis, for example, is pretty ghostly. Or some sort of life-drain, modeled as a Damage or Weaken effect.
    Thanks here is the update. what do you think. did i do my math right on the Ghostly powers?

Spectral Form:
    Insubstantial 4 (Intangible; Not versus magic), Continuous, Innate, Permanent; 20 points
    Concealment 5 (Visual senses), Continuous, Permanent 5 points
    Flight 10 (2,000 MPH); 20 points
    Immunity 10 (Effects dependent on biology); 10 points
    Senses 4 (Vision Counters Invisibility, Auditory Counters Spiritual Concealment), Dimensional, Limited to Spirits/Astral Entities 4 points• 59 points

Ghostly Powers: Array
    •Possession Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled, Controlled), Affects
    Corporeal 10, Concentration, Cumulative, Insidious, Instant Recovery, Subtle 2,
    Limited to creatures with Int 8 or higher Dynamic • 20 points
    •Telekinesis: Move Object 10 Precise Quirk(can't effect these metals: Lead, Silver, Gold, Iron, and Copper), Quirk(can't effect object connected to divinity), Quirk(can't effect water or other liquids with water) Dynamic• 2 points
    •Spiritual Drain: Weakness 18 (Stamina) Dynamic • 2 point
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

• Perfect visual concealment is... better. I'm a little hesitant at allowing both that and Insubstantial 4-- neither is unreasonably hard to get around, but together is rough--but that's a call for your GM, not me.
    • Your Possession should cost 25 total: Affliction (1/rank) + Affects Corporeal (+1/rank) + Concentration (+1/rank) + Cumulative (+1/rank) - Instant Recovery (-1/rank) - Limited (-1/rank) = a base cost of 2pts / rank. Insidious (flat 1) + Subtle 2 (flat 2) + Dynamic (flat 2) bring it up to 25.
    • Also... "Int 8 or higher" doesn't mean what it does in D&D-- Int 8 is, like Reed Richards/Tony Stark smart. According to the official Heroes and Villains book, characters with Int in that range include the Atom (9), Bane (8), Batman (8), Blue Beetle (Ted Kord; 7), Braniac (15), the Calculator (7), Darkseid (8), Doctor Sivana (10)... you get the idea--you're talking some of the smartest humans alive and up.
    • Your Telekinesis is good in that array--the total cost is: Move Object (2/rank) + Precise (flat 1) + Dynamic (flat 2) - 4 (those four Quirks) for 19pp.
    • Spiritual Drain won't work. Remember that your attack bonus + effect rank can't exceed twice your PL (20, in this case). Do you really want to be swinging at targets with a +2 attack bonus?
    • (On an unrelated note, Fly 10 is...really freaking fast, for a ghost. Any particular reason to have it so high?)
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

• Your Possession should cost 25 total: Affliction (1/rank) + Affects Corporeal (+1/rank) + Concentration (+1/rank) + Cumulative (+1/rank) - Instant Recovery (-1/rank) - Limited (-1/rank) = a base cost of 2pts / rank. Insidious (flat 1) + Subtle 2 (flat 2) + Dynamic (flat 2) bring it up to 25.

Thanks for the math catch
    • Also... "Int 8 or higher" doesn't mean what it does in D&D-- Int 8 is, like Reed Richards/Tony Stark smart. According to the official Heroes and Villains book, characters with Int in that range include the Atom (9), Bane (8), Batman (8), Blue Beetle (Ted Kord; 7), Braniac (15), the Calculator (7), Darkseid (8), Doctor Sivana (10)... you get the idea--you're talking some of the smartest humans alive and up.
      I known the high int requirement planed, i have lowered it to 5
    • Your Telekinesis is good in that array--the total cost is: Move Object (2/rank) + Precise (flat 1) + Dynamic (flat 2) - 4 (those four Quirks) for 19pp.
      thanks. now if i remember correctly because it is part of a dynamic array it only cost me 2 points, but i need to keep its cost bellow 25 as that is my most powerful array ability
    • Spiritual Drain won't work. Remember that your attack bonus + effect rank can't exceed twice your PL (20, in this case). Do you really want to be swinging at targets with a +2 attack bonus?

you right i completely forgot about that dropping it to 10 would let me have a good bonus and still have it be effective right?
    • (On an unrelated note, Fly 10 is...really freaking fast, for a ghost. Any particular reason to have it so high?)
      I was fiddling with stuff. i think you right about it being too fat for a ghost. i will move it back to 4 until I figure out how fast i want to be

now on to another note. building Dr. Zo my side kick, he can not have move than 145 power points right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Weaken 10 will work, yeah. As a general rule, I try not to trade off more than 3 ranks in either direction-- a +6/rank 14 attack will struggle to hit too much to be fun, and a +14/rank 6 attack will have trouble actually affecting anyone.

Your sidekick gets 5pp per rank of the Sidekick advantage you take. So to get 145 points to work with, you'd need Sidekick 29.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Weaken 10 will work, yeah. As a general rule, I try not to trade off more than 3 ranks in either direction-- a +6/rank 14 attack will struggle to hit too much to be fun, and a +14/rank 6 attack will have trouble actually affecting anyone.

Your sidekick gets 5pp per rank of the Sidekick advantage you take. So to get 145 points to work with, you'd need Sidekick 29.
    this is Dr. Zo's Nanotech armor

Nanotech armor: 115 points, Activation (Move) Removable(-1, can be removed by pulling the fusion reactor out of his chest, this is relatively easy)• 92 points total

Fusion Reactor: Enhanced Intellect 2; Quickness 4, Limited to Mental Tasks • 6 points

Armor: Protection 14, Impervious • 28 points

Boot Jets: Flight 6 (120 MPH) • 12 points

Weapon systems: Array (34 points)
    •Lazer beam: Ranged Damage 14 • 28 points
    • Enhanced Strength 14 • 1 point
    • Explosive Shells: Ranged Burst Area Damage 9 • 1 point
    • Energy Beam: Line Area Damage 12 • 1 points
    • Holographic Projection: Illusion 8 (visual and auditory) • 1 point
    • Sonic Attack: Burst Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Cumulative • 1 point
    • Tractor Beam: Move Object 12 • 1 point

Onboard Computer: Enhanced Defenses 8 (Dodge 4 and Parry 4), Enhanced Skills 12 (Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Ranged Combat: Weapons Systems 8 (+11)), Features 1 (AI) • 15 points

Self-Contained Environment: Immunity 10 (Life Support) • 10 points

Sensors: Senses 10 (Accurate Radio, Extended Vision, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 2, Radius Vision, Ultra-Hearing) • 10 points

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seems like Grod's giving you good advice, but I'd make one addition:

I dunno what article you read, but the book's recommended solution for undead and constructs (absent Stamina, Fortitude immunity) is terrible. It adds unnecessary weirdness to the damage rules, and a flat immunity really isn't appropriate. Rather, you want something like Immunity 10 (Effects dependent on biology). That way you can ignore a Fort-save Affliction that's poisoning you, but still be affected by one that's freezing you in a block of ice. That'll get you a big chunk of points back to play with.
    Make sure to also add a Complication that your robot is still an Object. (Thus, it can't be healed by many healing effects, and it can be affected by attacks that Affect Only Objects.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Make sure to also add a Complication that your robot is still an Object. (Thus, it can't be healed by many healing effects, and it can be affected by attacks that Affect Only Objects.)
    these are Dr. Zo's complications, Enemy was given to us by our DM

Power loss: after 2 hours with out connection to one of his power beds he shuts down and losses all his powers
    is an object: he counts as an object and can not be healed
    Enemy: government agents(diving force in the game)

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

I updated the build. i would like to massively change Dr. zo's armor. I was thing have alt versions. how should i go about doing that
    Last edited by Amdy_vill; 2019-06-09 at 09:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    I updated the build. i would like to massively change Dr. zo's armor. I was thing have alt versions. how should i go about doing that
    In theory you could build an alt effect as a completely new device, with a different set of abilities.