New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I知 failed. I知 sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If you enjoyed that, you may also enjoy his more famous Pachelbel Rant.

Grey Wolf
    A contender for the oldest 4 chords song?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-07-10 at 11:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

I知 not really looking for a technology anymore. I workshopped my black hole thing on PrintSF reddit. People gave me examples of it already done in existing fiction and some said black holes don稚 expand like that. Even though this is sci fi and I知 most likely going to write it in the Star Wars galaxy, I want to be different and stick to science. What I知 looking for is some new avenue of physics for a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy to be studying. They probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. I知 sure they know about how the universe began, why it痴 expanding and what it痴 fate is. I知 also sure they figured out why their is more matter than antimatter in the universe. They have plenty of tools to do this.

What is left for a physicist to wonder about. What can he study?

If I can稚 get a good answer in this last attempt, I promise that I will not return to Giantitp anymore trying to harvest ideas. Promise.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    If I can稚 get a good answer in this last attempt, I promise that I will not return to Giantitp anymore trying to harvest ideas. Promise.
    You have been given lots of "good" ideas, plus, perhaps more importantly, the advice that what your scientist is studying should not matter. If you want to write your story, you need to disconnect knowing what your scientist is studying from writing the story. Write the story first, then you will either know what your scientist is studying (it will come from the story), or you will know how much detail (or, more importantly how little) you need to give on his/her/its reasearch.

Finally, lots of scientists study stuff that is already known - they can be looking to extend the theory in one particular area, or they can be looking to apply it to a slightly different area - there is no need to abandon an idea just because it has been done before, indeed I would predict that far less than 1% of scientists study an area that no one else has yet looked at.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-07-09 at 02:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

You've been given good answers - extensive advice on how to do your own research, given repeatedly. It will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Finally, lots of scientists study stuff that is already known - they can be looking to extend the theory in one particulalr area, or they can be looking to apply it to a slightly different area - there is no need to abandon an idea just because it has been done before, indeed I would predict that far less than 1% of scientists study an area that no one else has yet looked at.
    My favorite example of this is model organism research. There's a lot of research on mice, rats, zebrafish, fruit flies, e.coli, M13 phage, and other very specific model organisms where the scientific community has been able to build up a population of genetically extremely similar creatures to do tons of research on that can be relatively easily replicated.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

You want to have ideas? You want to write? Well, you should write. Even if you think what you wrote is bad- if you don't write, your skills won't improve and you'll stay in the same place. Stumble towards better writing by writing like an idiot first, that's how everyone does it. Nobody is born a writer.

You've lost your faith in your own writing? You think you're not good enough? Well, maybe trust that you're not as good as professional writers- nor are you as good as you want to be, but none of that is going to change if you just mope about how bad you are.

So I don't know why you're bothering me about it, go write, ya dummy!
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    I知 not really looking for a technology anymore. I workshopped my black hole thing on PrintSF reddit. People gave me examples of it already done in existing fiction and some said black holes don稚 expand like that. Even though this is sci fi and I知 most likely going to write it in the Star Wars galaxy, I want to be different and stick to science. What I知 looking for is some new avenue of physics for a scientist in the Star Wars galaxy to be studying. They probably know what dark matter and dark energy are since Starkiller Base is powered by it. I知 sure they know about how the universe began, why it痴 expanding and what it痴 fate is. I知 also sure they figured out why their is more matter than antimatter in the universe. They have plenty of tools to do this.

What is left for a physicist to wonder about. What can he study?

Have you ever read Paradigm Shift by Kuhn? I suggest you do that first, because basically you are asking for your scientist to be a Newton or Einstein when nearly everyone is measuring gravity fluctuations or counting the number of cilia on a butterfly's legs.

Specific to Star Wars is easier because it doesn't have to be real but can still have real world implications. For instance Droids are sentient and usually mentally slow, while computers are unaware and pretty basic. You could easily have your scientist be studying Data's Law, where the process of self-awareness takes up nearly all of a Droid's RAM and hundreds of years shows that expanding RAM will simply expand the conciousness.

Or make it so the language droids are coded in is incompatible with computer coding; it can either think like a person or think like a machine, but not both.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Go with what you know.

Maybe make it a warning to the future.

'What if in a hundred thousand years, people are still still working a 9 to 5 for 40 to 60 hours; jobs they hate for property they never really own.'
    Last edited by Aiatokko; 2019-08-06 at 09:59 PM.