The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Desert of Desolation OoC

Quick question: do we already know each other from before (as we all come from the court if I read the intro correctly) or not? I don't mind either way, just want to know.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Llwellyn will try as well, since, y'know, Ranger.

Spoiler: Survival for Weather
    Show
    (1d20+11)[31]

Well, hello, nat 20...
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-06-11 at 10:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Just a simple question, a bit curious, but why is Saelihn using a shortbow when elves are known to train with longbow and are quite proficient with it (that's what they are recognizable by usual suspects :)?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zergh View Post
    Trying also to help with weather prediction

Survival 20

Gather information 21
    Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    You are able to predict that the next 48 hours will be hot, dry, and fairly still during the days and cold, dry, and still during the nights.

You were unable to learn more than you already did while at court before you were seized for your crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Quick question: do we already know each other from before (as we all come from the court if I read the intro correctly) or not? I don't mind either way, just want to know.
    Up to you guys. You were all grabbed at the court, but whether you were there together or not is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    Llwellyn will try as well, since, y'know, Ranger.

Survival for Weather: 31
    Spoiler: Survival check
    Show
    Your instincts tell you that the days will be blistering and nights freezing. You see none of the indications for a sandstorm brewing on the horizon and are fairly sure that there is no danger of on of those in the next few days. However you do find something troubling, it would seem that this land does see infrequent rains, but not of water. You find traces of acid in the arid sands. Any traces of clouds on the horizon should be viewed as danger rather than respite.

Edit: Just want to make sure everybody is ready to set off? Following the tracks?
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-06-12 at 05:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

ElfRangerGuy

Just a simple question, a bit curious, but why is Saelihn using a shortbow when elves are known to train with longbow and are quite proficient with it (that's what they are recognizable by usual suspects :)?
    Because Saelihn is a character who has to sneak around, and doing that with a bow as long as yourself is quite difficult. Also firing longbows from horseback (or camelback) is quite tricky. the only reason I went with longsword instead of rapier is that I don't have the combat finesse feat and then the longsword is the more logical choice (also, rapiers and longswords are about the same size, so there the size issue didn't play). The d8 instead of d6 is not that big a difference, especially since I intend to add a lot of d6's from sneak attacks.
    It can also throw people off into thinking because she never uses a longbow, that she can't if she wants to (and finds a bow somewhere).

I see that most went with not know each other. I'll write something to introduce myself soon.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #36

HalflingRangerGuy

Unless somebody else has something they need to do, I think it might be a good idea to just start riding until we find something interesting or it becomes time to make camp for the night.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

7. - Top - End - #37

ElfRangerGuy

Lucky for me I almost Always put a tent and a winter blanket on my equipment list, even if the adventure is in a desert. That should at least help with things.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Given farothel's IC post I feel like this would be a good time to remind people that you were actually given more than just camels:

You will also be given enough food and water to sustain you and your mount for seven days in the desert. The party as a whole will be given three large tents, canvas and poles (measuring 10x20 feet when erected), ten bundles of fire wood (enough for a single night each), a writ of authority from Padishah Achaemenes granting the party exploration and salvage rights to the Desert of Desolation as well as declaring your business there, and a worn old map, supposedly of a pyramid that lies in the heart of the desert.

9. - Top - End - #39

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Given farothel's IC post I feel like this would be a good time to remind people that you were actually given more than just camels:
    Forgot about that. Edited my post. I first thought to keep it that way, saying she missed that, but you can't really miss ten bundles of firewood.

10. - Top - End - #40

HalflingRangerGuy

Does Azrael have any idea how many hours until sun rise?

Play-by-Post Characters:

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    Does Azrael have any idea how many hours until sun rise?
    You guys set off at sunset and traveled for 5 hours, that makes it about midnight or a bit shy so sunrise should be around 6 hours off.

On an unrelated note, I will be unavoidably without access to anything other than a mobile internet connection for the next few days. Damn storm sniped my hardware. Apologies for the delay.

12. - Top - End - #42

HalflingRangerGuy

During Morning Prayer, when I prepare my spells, I swapped out one Fire Wings spell for "Resist Energy, Mass" just in case we get swept up by a sudden acid storm. And after I was done preparing I cast "Primal Hunter" & "Primal Instinct". I had both of those spells prepared for yesterday too but I figured Azrael didn't have to cast them while living in the city. Now that he is back in the desert he decided to ask the Sun for some of his old nomadic powers back.

Also, how hot is the Sun when at peak? Is my Heat Endurance feat enough protection? Ideally I'd try to push the party through the heat as not to lose track of the bandits, but if it's too hot even for me then Azrael would know to not even try.

Play-by-Post Characters:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    During Morning Prayer, when I prepare my spells, I swapped out one Fire Wings spell for "Resist Energy, Mass" just in case we get swept up by a sudden acid storm. And after I was done preparing I cast "Primal Hunter" & "Primal Instinct". I had both of those spells prepared for yesterday too but I figured Azrael didn't have to cast them while living in the city. Now that he is back in the desert he decided to ask the Sun for some of his old nomadic powers back.

Also, how hot is the Sun when at peak? Is my Heat Endurance feat enough protection? Ideally I'd try to push the party through the heat as not to lose track of the bandits, but if it's too hot even for me then Azrael would know to not even try.
    Good to know.

As the party reaches the pillars, the temperature in direct sunlight is over 110 degrees (severe heat) but your Heat Endurance is enough to protect you. However the air is so dry that in the shade of the pillars the temperature is down below 90, not necessarily comfortable, but much less dangerous.

14. - Top - End - #44

ElfRangerGuy

concerning the thing with the clothes in my post, I'm dressed basically like a native in the high desert. It's only logical that you dress like the natives in a location like that, covering as much skin as you can and wearing a hat of some sort against the glare of the sun.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

concerning the thing with the clothes in my post, I'm dressed basically like a native in the high desert. It's only logical that you dress like the natives in a location like that, covering as much skin as you can and wearing a hat of some sort against the glare of the sun.
    Are you wearing your armor?

16. - Top - End - #46

ElfRangerGuy

Are you wearing your armor?
    Yes, it's a Mithral chain shirt (magical), so it doesn't weigh all that much. I took it because of the high dex bonus it allows (as rogue, very important).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, I'm confused. Did Azrael cast a spell? And is the party stopping or pressing on?

18. - Top - End - #48

HalflingRangerGuy

Azrael did not cast a spell just now. He just waved around his holy symbol as encouragement.

As to whether or not we rest or not, we are still taking votes. It's 2 - 2 now, just waiting on Zergh and Jarwin to cast their votes.

Play-by-Post Characters:

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

While we're voting, Talgrun is going to examine the pillars using Magic Insight. Does he detect anything magical?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50

HalflingRangerGuy

We've been waiting a while on the other players to vote so I suggest that instead of waiting we should just go with the safe option of staying in the shade for a while and use this time to explore these ruins.

So I'm now onboard with the plan "wait until the afternoon sun passes and investigate these ruins until then'

Play-by-Post Characters:

21. - Top - End - #51

ElfRangerGuy

I've modified my post to give an extra argument to wait a bit. People who want can also check out the pillars (I doubt any of my languages will work).

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sorry for delay, haven't had internet for last 3 days. I vote for resting in the shade for now, and casting detect magic on pillars and read magic for those runes. Along with that, I also cast Mage Armor (lasts 6 hours).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    While we're voting, Talgrun is going to examine the pillars using Magic Insight. Does he detect anything magical?
    Sorry, I somehow missed this when it got posted. The pillars are not magical.

I've modified my post to give an extra argument to wait a bit. People who want can also check out the pillars (I doubt any of my languages will work).
    None of your languages apply but your 2 ranks of Decipher Script allow you to identify it as an archaic form of common. You'll need a check, or some magic, to read the runes.

Sorry for delay, haven't had internet for last 3 days. I vote for resting in the shade for now, and casting detect magic on pillars and read magic for those runes. Along with that, I also cast Mage Armor (lasts 6 hours).
    Understandable. Anyways, Detect Magic and Read Magic both come back with nothing. Mage Armor is noted.

IC post this evening depending on if I can remain conscious or not.

24. - Top - End - #54

ElfRangerGuy

None of your languages apply but your 2 ranks of Decipher Script allow you to identify it as an archaic form of common. You'll need a check, or some magic, to read the runes.
    Okay, I'll roll here and then put something up IC:
    (1d20+3)[20]

EDIT: with a 21 (I put +3 instead of +4 in the roll) I assume that I can make out some of it, so I put something to that effect in the IC. If not, just let me know and I'll edit.
    Last edited by farothel; 2019-06-23 at 06:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

ElfRangerGuy

Just a heads up that I will be away on holiday from the 28th of June until the 14th of July. I will be without internet access while traveling (28 and 29 of June and 13 and 14 of July). The other days I should have internet access, but it will be tropical island internet of a satelite connection, so it might be spotty. I'll try to reply, but it will be slower and I could drop out a few days as well. In case my character is needed to push the story line, the GM can take care of that (just don't kill her off please).

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hey guys. Back from vacation (thought I'd be able to post during it, but it ended up being a lot more busy than expected). Catching up now.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

On the off chance there's anything in the sand for Talgrun to find;

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    On the off chance there's anything in the sand for Talgrun to find;

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    [7]
    The sand is fine and powdery. A hand or pole sinks through it without much in the way of effort, although trying to dig really just forms a shallow depression rather than a hole. Talgrun finds a few pieces of masonry of various sizes around the base of the pillars, all of them buried at least several inches, possibly remnants of some further structures or the pillar's foundations. The rough stones feel almost cool after the blistering heat of the upper most layer of sand, but none of them seem the least bit interesting.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hi, everybody.

Just to let you know I'm currently dealing with a family emergency that I expect to last for some time. I have severely cut back my participation in these forums, but as this game is fairly simple I hope to be able to hold on to it, as a quick fix and pastime stress reliever. If this should become untenable I might have to drop this one as well...

In the meantime, on with the game!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Sorry to hear that, BBQ. I think we're ready to time jump past our afternoon rest and continue our journey.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!