Set traps inside their hall
    Chuckle as we watch them fall

Prison break could be such fun
    and make it easier to get our work done

Much of this I can provide
    but you'd better pay me double their take or it will come from your hide

Hire a king and glory you'll reap
    but nobility like mine does not come cheap
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-06-23 at 09:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The Valor Challenge IC

My style is more straight forward He stumps his spear butt on the ground. I crush them. Perhaps I shall simply wait until you have bled them prior to plunging my spear through their gut.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

After some hours spent familiarizing yourselves with each other, demonstrating your skill and sharpening your swords, evening approaches. You head to the castle gates where the guard awaits.

"Our local wizard sent a familiar to the prison. From what she's gathered listening to their conversations, your bugbear friend went mad, and they were well within their rights to assume you were planning an attack. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do. We can collect your friends bodies if you wish."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley didn't say much by way of introducing himself. Just his name, and some of the skills he'd had to pick up on the streets.

He knew his way around a dagger, and he could pick locks if he had the tools. He could sneak about. That was really about it.

That he'd been reduced to a commoner despite once being the scion of the noble Vinjah house was unnecessary information.

But he would rise again.

For now, he slots himself in with the rhyming beast-man and the idiot with the spear.

"I s'pose any coin is good coin, ol' chap, but note that I expect extra compensation if I'm to carry dead blokes about."

He especially couldn't wait to be done affecting that horrid street accent.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-06-24 at 10:05 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #65

"The only question left to ask
    Are we still doing this task?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

From out of the shadows by the door, an interesting fellow steps up. He is dressed in dark clothing, and a set of leather armor adorned by a strange crest, that is slit in the back to allow his batlike wings to show. He fixes you with what you guess might be a piercing gaze with his black eyes.

No need to shout buddy, they call me Deero. I'm not doing anything for the moment, and some more coin for my purse sounds a wonderful thing to be doing. Speak your piece.

((EDIT)) it seems like i responded when you were still in the tavern, and then now you're at the prison... so instead of shadows by the door, i tap you on the shoulder and state something akin to the effect of "... Don't think you could get out of the first day's wage by leaving w/o saying anything! "
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-06-24 at 05:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

BardGuy

I am prepared, at your order. Reddick stands at attention.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-06-30 at 08:05 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

After walking out of that rather disappointing meeting with thanks given to the nobles but his frustration written clear he walked back out.

Approaching the figures he recruited he had a sad message to give them. Good people, I’m afraid I have taken you out of your way for nothing. It seems Justice today will not exist alongside vengance. While by facts the mission was not meant to have began yet I will still give you something for your trouble. Perhaps to take you drinking tonight. Tomorrow will be a day of sorrow, not danger and my allies were victims of idiocracy rather than ill-intent. I can provide you a little silver, but it seems there is nothing more dangerous left for me than returning home still unproven.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

9. - Top - End - #69

DruidGuy

There may yet be another who can shed some light on this, other than this entrenched monarchy who may be in cahoots with those whose transgressions you seek to judicate. You see, I know a guy in the area who may be of some assistance in this matter...

10. - Top - End - #70

BardGuy

Surely there is a way to extract just consequence from your offenders despite these other nobles objections... Reddick mused with a look of disappointment. If there was one thing he'd learned to appreciate, it was his choice of path and action. A far traveling wanderer, Reddick had encountered his fair share of indentured labor and was not particularly fond of it. Though, he rather enjoyed the structure of taking on a job in which another gave direct orders - his freedom to accept or decline that job was vital to him.

Perhaps our colleagues friend can be of help.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-06-30 at 08:05 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

11. - Top - End - #71

Deero leads you to the Black Dragon, and telling you to wait talks quietly to the barkeep. He looks suddenly frightened; and then the tiefling points at your group, and fright becomes wary interest. He turns and slowly throws his cloth to a barman, then walks inside the kitchen, beckoning you.

"I used to be one of their prisoners. Would have taken years off my life if i hadn't got out when i did. They sold me to a bounty hunter - i thought he'd kill me when he found out i was useless.

If i report it i'll be dead inside a week. Every thief with a bit of coin knows Imsheck Jail is the place to go. And even if i did, the guards would be bribed to find "a lack of evidence". But you - nobody knows you. And you're a lord besides. Maybe you can steal their bribe money? Bring some evidence straight to Lord Polperro?"
    Last edited by ribblle; 2019-06-25 at 11:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

So they’ll be deceivers and torturers as well then, and near slavers to boot. The only gaurd they have is deceit, not justice. Yes, I’ll pay to see this done and with a smile as well.

With a small flourish he turned back back to the others.

So what do you say to this then? A little more cunning, with luck a little less danger perhaps a little more time. Are you all still ready for this task at hand?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley flicks his knife out of his sleeve, spins it around his fingers a few times, and then slides it back up.
    "Subtlety is more my area of expertise. I'm in."

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

14. - Top - End - #74

BardGuy

Aye Reddick says with a smirk. Though i may not be the man for the subtle portion of the job, im sure a strong arm will be welcomed.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-06-30 at 08:06 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

15. - Top - End - #75

DruidGuy

flexing his wings a bit, shaking them out, Deero leans towards his boss and whispers to him. You see, there is always more to the story than meets the eye! HAH HA, and now we'll have ourselves a bit of fun, and perchance also strike a blow against injustice at the same time!

then, looking back at the others, How about that beer?

to the bartender he simply nods and pats the man on his shoulder, And for you as well sir, justice.

Perhaps if the moon cooperates tonight, some scouting might be in order. And his wings shake again as he smirks and walks back out to the bar.

16. - Top - End - #76

The moon cooperates...

17. - Top - End - #77

DruidGuy

Having drank mostly water the entire evening, due to this mission, Deero was still ready to go scouting. A slight nod to the innkeeper and a knowing wink was all it took to get the "special" brew, and so appear to everyone else to be getting largely into his cups all night long, but still keep all his mental faculties intact.

Weaving out of the bar with the rest of the group he headed back to their own inn, and then just kept walking out of town and into the darkness. After a short while he was all alone in the dark with not a soul nor light in sight. Making sure what little gear he had brought this evening was tied down securely, he took wing and headed in the direction of the prison to see what might be seen.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

18. - Top - End - #78

A tower that's worse for wear, encircled by broad walls maybe 15 feet tall - a guard manning them, another drinking tea in the gatehouse. Every now and then the arrow slits flicker with torchlight; four all told, working their way from the top to the bottom. One light at the top burns constantly. A couple of ruined stables lie inside the walls, and there are five collapsed outbuildings.
    Last edited by ribblle; 2019-06-26 at 01:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

DruidGuy

staying overhead long enough to confirm the patrol routine and make sure there aren't any anomalies, Deero then heads off. First going away from town on the off chance these simpletons might see him, he then wings over and flies back to the clearing before walking back to the inn.

on the way a plan formed in his head. if the kobold is light enough, he should be able to carry him and drop him on the walls to ambush the lone guard. then a knock at the gate would distract the only other threat who could then be knocked out or elimated if need be, granting them access to the prison proper to carry out whatever big brain plan the boss had in mind.

heading up to their room, he taps the password knock on the door, and goes in to get some sleep. the morning will be soon enough of a time to share ideas, and give the rest of the day for planning...

20. - Top - End - #80

21. - Top - End - #81

For taking out the watchman, this one is game
    But for the distraction, I'm thinking of using a bit more flame.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gustav packs up and arms himself, then rallies the troops heading out to the castle, on th way he’ll discuss the eventual plan with the others.

23. - Top - End - #83

Night falls...

You've crept through the woods to the prison unnoticed. Fire arrows at hand, you watch Deero tuck in his wings and dive, leveling out into a glide as he comes up to the walls and lightly places Kss'Ka down, unnoticed. He continues arcing down gracefully towards you, setting down and taking his position without a beat missed.

24. - Top - End - #84

BardGuy

Reddick remains back so as to not spoil the elusiveness of the group with the clanging of his armor.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

25. - Top - End - #85

Kss'Ka moves quickly. He scatters caltrops where he landed, then moves 10 ft toward the gatehouse and ties a rope down the outside of the wall.

Next, some oil soaked straw with a minute fuse next to the gate house. Must time it carefully...

Kss'Ka silently heads toward the tower to enter through one of the gaps and make further mischief.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+3)[22]

26. - Top - End - #86

Kss'ka makes it to the second floor. Rats squeak and run off over dank stone, sleeping prisoners in the cells on either side and footsteps not too far away. Many of the cells are unlocked and unoccupied.

27. - Top - End - #87

Kss'Ka goes up the stairs a little, then scatters caltrops. Behind them, he places the remaining straw, pours 2 flasks of oil, pees on it to make the smoke thick and foul smelling. Kss'Ka then lights the brew and ducks into one of the empty rooms.

Smoke rises... The guards in the top of the tower should be pretty distracted soon.

28. - Top - End - #88

DruidGuy

*silently tapping his foot* excuse me sir, shouldn't we get moving? that rat has been in there awhile, he's going to need us to get a move on..

sigh, always have to keep the boss types moving things along
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by charlesrwest View Post
    Kss'Ka goes up the stairs a little

Initiative

Kss'ka 12

Guard 7

30. - Top - End - #90

Sensing the guard before he makes his way forward, Kss'Ka slips out his dagger and goes in for the kill.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Attack (advantage due to darkness, just use first roll if guard has night vision): Best of (1d20+3)[13] or (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]+3 + (if crit) [roll]1d4/roll]