New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Erfworld 81, page 75

Quite apart from the issue of which Mancers are female or not, there's another quite important point: the grey-robed figure is very tall, and I didn't get the impression from her earlier appearances that Misty was that big. OK, it's hard to tell because in the one case we're comparing her with Parson and in the other with Stanley...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, huh...

1) That foolamancer looks a *lot* like Ansom to me.
    2) I don't think it's warranted to so easily blow off Stanley's use of the word "son". It may be a form of address to an inferior, but we've never seen him use it before. My experience with military folks (and police officers, who work in a quasi-military environment) is that when folks use that word in that way, it isn't a rare thing. It tends to be their go-to.
    3) What in the world is Parson up to that has Sizemore so concerned? The Big S seems to think that Parson has resolved to do something directly against Stanley. Might he attempt to take control of the troops before Stanley can give them orders? Or might he head out into the field himself?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Orange - Misty, Foolamancer
    Gray - In middle, connecting the others, therefore Thinkamancer
    Purple - Joker Lite, Lookamancer by process of elimination. Perhaps Stanley wants another ultimate warlord? Or just a good pair of eyes to look for new ground to seize power?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Tool comes charging in with the Fool(amancer) on the veiled Knights of Knob!

The Hamster looks through the mist(fog) of war with Misty the Lookamancer.
    and percieves the Tools thoughts with the Thinkamancer.

The Hamster saves the Hammer(Tool) from being pinched by the Pliers(Ansom).

.....and all is well in the land of Knob.
    Last edited by Bongos; 2007-10-06 at 10:51 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Shifting gears a bit, I love the dynamic of the second half of the page -- Sizemore trying to save Parson from himself, getting tripped up for a moment (but not, apparently, exasperated) when Bogroll doesn't understand the big word, and most of all Parson's (I think sincere) statement of surprise and disappointment that Sizemore would put poor good-hearted Bogroll in the position of having to disobey an order.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Well this is interesting.

Misty is either dead, or unconsious, or hurt, or having a sudden desire to lay down? Purple is ranting and a bit insane, and gray seems to be knelt over misty. Why would Tool be suprised that this happened when he broke the link, and why is he taking the time to prod at mister purple. (Lookamancer?) Does he need him to cast some sort of lookamancy?

Also, I do not think that Parson's next actions will be opposed to stanley, betraying him, I think he is just going to be present and acting dispite being told to be hidden, is all.

I hope misty is okay. D:<

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

If he's planning to take a flight of dwagons out into the field and attack, leaving GK to its fate, (the other popular speculation) there isn't all that much point in ordering the Knights (ground-pounder troops) assembled.
    Stanley could be having the go ride on the dwagons. They could be dwagonknights not the normal mounted calvary, or the knights could be just powerful hobgobwins.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JazzManJim View Post
    2) I don't think it's warranted to so easily blow off Stanley's use of the word "son". It may be a form of address to an inferior, but we've never seen him use it before. My experience with military folks (and police officers, who work in a quasi-military environment) is that when folks use that word in that way, it isn't a rare thing. It tends to be their go-to.
    He has, actually. Here he referred to Parson as 'son'. I'm pretty sure that's just the way Stanley talks.

I hope Misty is ok too, and I'm liking the look of the Foolamancer. So the trimancy link seems to have rendered Foolamancer raving mad, and made Misty frail, I wonder how it has impaired Thinkamancer.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    He has, actually. Here he referred to Parson as 'son'. I'm pretty sure that's just the way Stanley talks.

I hope Misty is ok too, and I'm liking the look of the Foolamancer. So the trimancy link seems to have rendered Foolamancer raving mad, and made Misty frail, I wonder how it has impaired Thinkamancer.
    MY guess is multiple personality disorder.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, now we know who's doing the Shakespeare on Erfworld 49, Page 44. From here we know that Misty is the Lookamancer. Since I agree that the Eyemancer in the middle is the Thinkamancer, that pegs Purple as the Foolamancer, further confirmed by Panel 1 of today's comic. Now, assuming that none of them have any fashion sense, and I'm not going to be looking for pixelated breasts that are any smaller than size B, and the colors are constant, that means Misty is in the Orange.

With that out of the way, if Misty really were dead, I don't think the Thinkamancer would be all that concerned, since we can see what kind of effect breaking the link would have on one of the "subject minds," even if the Purple guy is faking it somewhat.

Poor Bogroll, poor Misty. Wanda gets no pity.

I have to wonder who the Knights are, and why Stanley didn't introduce them to Parson when he was doing the "These are your zombie Warlords."

You know, if Wanda doesn't snap out of it, you think Parson would get the bright idea of slotting her into the Thinkamancer link "alloy"? Thinking, seeing, croaking possibilities? Then the comic turns into a Shaun of the Dead parody? :D

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just want to point this out for those of you that are basing that it was Misty that collapsed because she is "wearing an orange robe when she met Parson".

She wasn't.

The robe she was wearing in her first named appearance was brown: it was beige at the lightest and taupe at the darkest. The colors on the page are richer than the ones on Wikipedia, but they are the same colors. The point of this is: taupe and beige are shades of what? Brown.

Aside from "Misty is in orange because the Thinkamancer must be in the middle" is there any other evidence that could support Misty being the orange robed Eyemancer?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    You know, if Wanda doesn't snap out of it, you think Parson would get the bright idea of slotting her into the Thinkamancer link "alloy"? Thinking, seeing, croaking possibilities? Then the comic turns into a Shaun of the Dead parody? :D
    Shaun of the Dead is already a parody of a genre that does not suffer from a lack of parodies.

Concerning Misty, I would be surprised if she were croaked now simply because for the effort (admittedly small) put into characterizing her. Usually when you have a character who is recognized by the audience you do not let them die off-screen.

In any even it appears that all three of them have survived, if not thrived.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    I just want to point this out for those of you that are basing that it was Misty that collapsed because she is "wearing an orange robe when she met Parson".

She wasn't.

The robe she was wearing in her first named appearance was brown: it was beige at the lightest and taupe at the darkest. The colors on the page are richer than the ones on Wikipedia, but they are the same colors. The point of this is: taupe and beige are shades of what? Brown.

Aside from "Misty is in orange because the Thinkamancer must be in the middle" is there any other evidence that could support Misty being the orange robed Eyemancer?
    Look through them all it seems pretty clear that she is wearing orange, and if you doubt it go into photoshop and shift the colors so the backgrounds are the same color.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

On the other hand, think about it this way. Suppose that Tool is trying to take the (presumed loyal) 'mancers with him. However, Misty (assuming it is she in the orange robe) has collapsed. Therefore, the Tool cannot take her with him. Therefore, Misty is left behind for Parson to make use of once she recovers.

This is plot, Parson is building his cadre of assistants.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Look through them all it seems pretty clear that she is wearing orange, and if you doubt it go into photoshop and shift the colors so the backgrounds are the same color.
    All that proves is that an image can be altered; and I've seen images of fifty foot guinea pigs on the moon. In otherwords: It proves nothing relevent to this conversation.

On top of different colors, the robes are not the type:

The Eyemancers' robes are hooded, have no visible hemming, and are tight fitting.

Misty's nightgown is not hooded, has what would amount to inch think hemming, and is loose fitting enough that it slips off of her shoulder.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by BarGamer View Post
    I have to wonder who the Knights are, and why Stanley didn't introduce them to Parson when he was doing the "These are your zombie Warlords."
    I'm guessing that they're a cadre of hobgobwin guards, possibly including the ones that refused to let Bogroll in when Parson showed up at the situation room the previous night. Mung may or may not be one (depending on whether guarding an important prisoner is one of their jobs).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-10-06 at 01:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Am I the only one who thinks that Foolamancer is kinda ... hot?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Straylight View Post
    Yes.

creeeepy
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-10-06 at 01:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

I think it's pretty interesting that the Foolamancer's conversation with Stanley puts Stanley in the role of King Lear--Lear being another stubborn, self-righteous absolute ruler who kicks out his best and closest advisors in a fit of pique.

If this is foreshadowing Stanley's ultimate fate, well, it doesn't look good for His Toolship.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Someone already said it, but I'm voting for "Stanley veils and hoofs it out," this explains why he's messing with the foolamancer.

Has anyone ever made a list of erfworld > typical-fantasy-world magic-user names?

Ie, like foolamancer > illusionist?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Orange= Misty, and the lookamancer. Misty says she is the lookamancer, and wore orange robes. Misty is on the ground now.

Gray = Thinkamancer. This is because she is in the middle, linking the other two. Always shown to have breasts, making her female, and that is all we know about her. Kneeling over misty right now.

Purple = the guy we see now. A foolamancer.

Also, Erfworld is brilliant. I love how this story is going.

22. - Top - End - #52

Being a straight guy, I wouldn't know . The pose in panel 4 is interesting enough that I've added it to my icon gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeku View Post
    Has anyone ever made a list of erfworld > typical-fantasy-world magic-user names?

Ie, like foolamancer > illusionist?
    I don't think anybody's made an actual list; most of them are fairly obvious.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Not really about being obvious or not...

... I think it's more about whether some fan has had so much spare time that they'd go about and create one :D.

24. - Top - End - #54

I gotta wonder what Parson plans to do. The power of the dwagons and the instant battlefield overview and communications was his only and best trick. He's got nothing to work with now.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    Shaun of the Dead is already a parody of a genre that does not suffer from a lack of parodies.
    I know, it's just that earlier last week me and my buddies were talking about Scary Movie, which is a parody of several movies, which is in itself a parody of several horror movies... I just think it'd be hilarious if Erfworld continued the gag.

And of course, the LOLerfs are a parody of the comic...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. I wonder who the well-endowed greymancer really is

I have a feeling that she is going to be a significant character, no less flaworful that both her companions

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    I gotta wonder what Parson plans to do. The power of the dwagons and the instant battlefield overview and communications was his only and best trick. He's got nothing to work with now.
    That's not entirely true.

He has all of Gobwin Knob to work with. From what I see here, Stanely is going to take the foolamancer and the Knights and he's hitting the field. That leaves everything else to Parson who is, de facto if not de jure, the highest-ranking person at GK.

Now, Parson doesn't exactly know that GK will be his to command, but my SWAG is that he's going to attempt some sort of coup or, at the very least, something Stanley isn't going to like at all. If Stanley's gone, he can accelerate his plan.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Erm, I'm not exacly disagreeing, but when did we see misty wearing orange robes?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2007-10-06 at 03:39 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

This comic is a little more confusing that OOTS but
    Spoiler
    Show
    is anyone else thinking that stanley broke the link as purple is his son and he plans to escape on dragons leaving everyone else there as fodder?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    I think it's pretty interesting that the Foolamancer's conversation with Stanley puts Stanley in the role of King Lear--Lear being another stubborn, self-righteous absolute ruler who kicks out his best and closest advisors in a fit of pique.

If this is foreshadowing Stanley's ultimate fate, well, it doesn't look good for His Toolship.
    I think Lear is a bit more complex of a character than that, but I think the MOST apropos Lear parallel is that Lear was driven to a period of madness through the betrayal of two of the people closest to him (in Lear's case, his daughters). Stanley has set off upon his current course of action by the perceived betrayal of those closest to him, and while, unlike Lear, he remains rational, perhaps this is a clue that his incipient plan, whatever it may be, is truly mad. Lear wandered in the storm with only his loyal fool for company. I think Stanley is about to wander into a storm with only his foolamancer.

Ultimately, Lear passed through the storm and returned, briefly, to a sort of resigned, transcendent rationality before passing on to the next life. If so, what does this mean should Stanley's course remain parallel to that stage? What transcendence shall the Tool obtain, before he either a) croaks, or b) abandons the metaphor?

Lear had three daughters. Two betrayed him and one remained loyal. If I REALLY want to stretch the metaphor, who is our 'Cordelia?' Our loyal 'daughter?' I think at this point it is Parson. Wanda is catatonic, and Sizemore is resigned to defeat. Only Parson is still putting the best interests of the kingdom before personal matters.

Hmmm... he DOES seem to be an attractive man, though the crazy eyes are a bit off-putting to me. Still, he is an enigma, just revealed, and that is almost always just a little enticing, don't you think? :)