1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Skeleton in a wingsuit

I've worked in making playable undead for D&D 5e, and one of the things I learned during this was that a human skeleton weighs only about 15% of the human that provided it. So, depending on the person, a skeleton might weigh 20-40 lbs.

Then, for some reason, I remembered that wingsuits are a thing, and what is a skeleton if not a frame on which fins and sails could be attached?

One of the problems with being so light (which 5e doesn't acknowledge or model) is that they'd tend to get knocked around more. Thus, it can be useful to put on some full plate, perhaps even the substantially heavier jousting armor, just to add some inertia and bring your weight back in line with that of a living human. But you could just as easily go the other direction and take advantage of you light weight.

For my 5e adaption of playable skeletons, they have vulnerability to bludgeoning damage, and so falling down the stairs can be enough to end them. But it seems like you'd be able to attach some canvas to their skeleton frame such that it would slow falling speed to the point where you wouldn't take falling damage. And a full wingsuit would let you easily glide, more than it would for a living human. Throw some magic into the mix (the Gust cantrip?), and you could probably get full flight out of it.

Wow, I did not expect this post to end with skeleton airbenders. Then again, I suppose Aang is the only airbender that isn't a skeleton, so lore-accurate.

2. - Top - End - #2

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Skeleton in a wingsuit

Brilliant!

3. - Top - End - #3

Iím not sure about D&D in particular but a lot of magic undead systems treat the magical energy animating the skeleton as having a mass equivalent to the original living weight. It creates a bunch of problems involving kinetic energy if you donít.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Iím not sure about D&D in particular but a lot of magic undead systems treat the magical energy animating the skeleton as having a mass equivalent to the original living weight. It creates a bunch of problems involving kinetic energy if you donít.
    Not more than halflings proceeding to deal 2013^435346 damage with their galaxy sized sword thus destroying a planet in a single swing then doing roughly the same damage with a rusted spoon.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-06-07 at 09:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

After watching Game of Thrones, I am treating undead a little differently. The fact that some undead can't be hurt with weapons doesn't mean that they can't be knocked down by them.

Incorporeal undead obviously can't be affected by mundane weapons at all. But a physical undead who can't be injured with weapons is still subject to bull rushes or trips.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is that if a skeleton trips down the stairs, they probably won't be able to unfold the wingsuit fast enough to slow their fall, and if they do, they probably will crash into the ceiling.
    But it's an entertaining idea for sure.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Gone fishing, 7/23-7/27. Posting may be slow or nonexistent

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    I've worked in making playable undead for D&D 5e, and one of the things I learned during this was that a human skeleton weighs only about 15% of the human that provided it. So, depending on the person, a skeleton might weigh 20-40 lbs.

Then, for some reason, I remembered that wingsuits are a thing, and what is a skeleton if not a frame on which fins and sails could be attached?

One of the problems with being so light (which 5e doesn't acknowledge or model) is that they'd tend to get knocked around more. Thus, it can be useful to put on some full plate, perhaps even the substantially heavier jousting armor, just to add some inertia and bring your weight back in line with that of a living human. But you could just as easily go the other direction and take advantage of you light weight.

For my 5e adaption of playable skeletons, they have vulnerability to bludgeoning damage, and so falling down the stairs can be enough to end them. But it seems like you'd be able to attach some canvas to their skeleton frame such that it would slow falling speed to the point where you wouldn't take falling damage. And a full wingsuit would let you easily glide, more than it would for a living human. Throw some magic into the mix (the Gust cantrip?), and you could probably get full flight out of it.

Wow, I did not expect this post to end with skeleton airbenders. Then again, I suppose Aang is the only airbender that isn't a skeleton, so lore-accurate.

Thank you. Thank you for making my week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun;
    I'm imagining this guy when he's lvl 20, asked to give a speech for the graduating class of the Magicianl Institute of Theurgy: "Who will answer the call? If you're smart, not you! Abandoning my comrades to certain death has made me the successful mage I am today. When the world sends a hellcat to rip out the throats of your friends, you stay on that floor and milk as much healing out of your healer as possible."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The problem is that if a skeleton trips down the stairs, they probably won't be able to unfold the wingsuit fast enough to slow their fall, and if they do, they probably will crash into the ceiling.
    But it's an entertaining idea for sure.
    Someone should sig this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Not more than halflings proceeding to deal 2013^435346 damage with their galaxy sized sword thus destroying a planet in a single swing then doing roughly the same damage with a rusted spoon.
    ...what? What exactly...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone else though of Brook?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    That seems unreasonably light. A living skeleton contains a lot of water, but they probably dry out fairly quickly in the air when exposed. What the status of the skeletons that occur in stories and games is I have no idea, obviously in real life skeletons don't get up and walk.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm just guessing, but I'd wager that with 85% reduced weight and no change in strength, if you give your skeleton a pair of wings it will quite simply be able to fly.