The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE5! - CWBG - Now in Galactic Size

First off, see the above post for what Corona said. If your name is on that list, you know what to do

Secondly, speaking of Corona:

Por's Sign is almost approved, though I'd like a few questions answered and added to the write-up. The Ideology section is missing, and that's the biggest thing that is preventing me from just giving you an approval.

1. Do the Sau with wings have their wings on the front of their body?
    2. Can you please provide an example of a Sau name?
    3. What is the current Learning Center for the region?

As of the Round 4 Opener, the following Ideologies are considered Lost:

Melfynians, All (MYA)
    The Balance (MFM)
    The Cult of Blood (RMT)

Murphetism (NPC)
    The Deific Contract (CLS)
    Pure Thought (UPT)

@Moriko, Omnitricks, and Gaius - Please be sure that you have reviewed the Round Opener Rules Changes. Specifically, this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    An Ideology that no longer has LCs, if created by a player, has (2) turns from the round opener of it’s last lost LC to obtain a new LC. The attempt to convert an LC must come from a player who’s State Ideology is the “lost” Ideology, and they can only convert a region they own. Failure to do so in either (2) rounds will result in the Ideology being removed from the game at that time… and whatever the current Ideology is in the player’s capital becomes their new State Ideology, though the region enters Unrest. Unrest may be avoided if a [Philosophy] action is taken to accept a new State Ideology, rather then attempt to convert a region.
    As you three are the first impacted by this change, I will give you guys an extra round. If you have not spent your [Philosophy] action to either recover the Lost Ideology or change to a new State Ideology by the start of Round 7, expect to be hit with Unrest due to this change.

All other "lost ideology" players have either already used their Philosophy action and are currently exempt from needing to do anything at this time or will follow the rules change moving forward at (2) rounds like in the above quote. Muphetism was an NPC Ideology, and is unlikely to be "recovered", but was included because my GM Team is thorough when I ask for help Would be a shame to waste their efforts.

If you claimed or conquered a region in Round 3...

Make sure that your region has been written up and approved before the start of Round 5. That'll be your fourth week, and an unwritten unapproved region can be hit with Unrest "due to lack of interest from the new leadership". I feel a month to write up a region is reasonable. I don't know - yet - if anyone is missing, but I intend to find out

Everyone - KreigT is an insane madman whom everyone should probably say thank you to. The Resource Type tab of the Player Tables has been fleshed out to include a great deal of good information. I personally still need to add some more details for some of the more ambiguous resources, but I have yet to see an issue with Kreig's current set up. Hopefully this will help some of you settle your Required Resources before the end of the round!
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-08-05 at 09:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-08 at 07:40 PM.
    ...with a vengeance!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

@Moriko - 'd like to know if Fluorescent Algae is edible, and what uses - other than a biological light source - the Mier Formica has found for it
    Apart from eating the moss Mier Formica has also found that it is a perfect conductor and can assist energy ants with the displacement of energy.

Sinas (E17)

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show

The system Sinas has a red dwarf star with 5 planets in orbit of these planets 2 show signs of previous colonisation and the other 3 are being mined by the mining drones.

Sinas(Red dwarf star)
    A M class with a surface temperature of 3500 degrees Celsius and has the following celestial bodies in orbit:

Leger 1:
    The main planet of the original inhabitants many cities span across the 2 continents with nature reclaiming roads and buildings. Animals appear on both continents and species seem to thrive in non native areas due to abandoned zoo's. The planet shows signs that natural resources were over used and the atmosphere got polluted. The Ice caps still appear to be shrinking from a recent ice age and will take another 100 years to return to normal levels.

The northern continent shows more structural damage than the southern, A significant amount of craters dot the continent that seem to be locations of previous cities.

The southern continent does not show physical damage but massive patches of radiation are observed.

Leger 2:
    This planet is covered by lush jungles and shows signs of early colonisation, it seems the inhabitants of Leger 1 managed to travel to this planet and establish some rudimentary colonies. With no signs of war the colonist must have either fallen prey to the local wildlife or could not sustain their selves after the extinction event on Leger 1. The colonies house little more than domes in which groups of primates have taken residence they cannot use the technology and use it as other animals would use caves.

The alpha predator on this planet is a tiger like create with six legs and a tail resembling a lash. Other animals include apes, snakes and a vast array of insects. Ants are observed on the surface however these have not reached the level of the Mier Formica and will be used as nutrients like all the other lifeforms on this planet.

Leger 3:
    A fully mined out planet it appears this was the first celestial body the drones were sent to and they continued their task up until the point the planet contained no usable resource and now lay dormant.

Leger 4:
    This rocky planet is buzzing with activity of mining drones they can be seen diving into the planet and returning with precious minerals and metals. These are collected in small deposits in the planets orbit. Years of mining without collection have created rings around the planet that sparkle in the dim light of the star.

Leger 5:
    Only one mining drone works on this planet and has not made much progress. Small deposits orbit the planet however mining operations would take several millennia more if this one drone was left to the task.

Spoiler: People
    Show

The Mier Formica now inhabit this system having claimed two planets. The main colony in this system is situated on Leger 2 with its lush jungles it is the perfect environment for them to thrive. There were other ants on the planet when Mier Formica landed however after attempt to uplift and integrate them into the colony failed these have become nutrients.

A secondary colony has been established on Leger 1 however the main objective is to replant trees and heal the planet before mass colonisation can be started.

Remains of a intelligent race are found on both planets and this race has been named Sterlings if any of them are alive today they have regressed to a pre stone age state and are considered animals.

Spoiler: History
    Show

The Sinas system was discovered by the Mier Formica on 217501.0.1.68 and was the territory was conquered on 217505.2.3.05. A harsh battle was fought over the system as mining drones retrofitted for combat destroyed several of the Mier Formica fleets but they proved victorious in the end. Colonies on Leger 1 and 2 were established within a few galactic months of conquest and have been steadily growing with little resistance.

While the discovery of the system is attributed to the Mier Formica they are not the first intelligent life to inhabit the system. Remains are found on two planets that belonged to a race called Sterlings and carbon dating shows that they lived in this system for 15.500 galactic years. They were a large race with one arm and three legs that started life on Leger 1. The first records appear on a small island to the west of the southern continent (we shall use this as year 0 for reference) where they lived for 2000 years. Tools appear to be in use after 500 years however the jump to stone tools is not seen until the year 1800. After the Sterligns migrated to the southern continent traces of several tribes are found. The first mass grave is discovered in the year 3500 and is attributed the the first large scale war, little progress is shown until in the year 4800 iron tools are found copper and bronze seems to have been skipped in the tool progression stage which could attribute to the slow progression to iron. The tribe that discovered iron is quick to conquer half of the southern continent before being stopped in the year 5000. Refugees find their way to the northern continent

The northern continent show leaps of scientific achievements and enter the age of computing in the year 9000 a whole 500 years before the southern continent. After the southern continent catches up to the northern continent signs of war are prominent and these never stop. In the year 14.978 the southern continent launches mass attacks with missiles and explosives. The north is beaten back and as a last ditch effort invent a weapon of mass destruction that covers the southern continent in a blanket of high radiation. Knowing that the end is near the northern continent spend their final years on launching colonists to Leger 2 and creating automation drones that can keep the colonies supplied with resources. In the year 14.995 a nuclear winter starts that claims the last of the Sterlings in the year 15.000.

The colony on Leger 2 is established and shows promise however due to a mistake in the mining drone programming the mined materials are stored in orbit of the planets mined and never send over to the colony. With no resources colonist start dying and after only 500 years the last one is claimed by one of the tigers of Leger 2.

Spoiler: Government
    Show

The Mier formica queen instructed the planetary queens to inhabit this system and make it thrive. The Planetary queen on Leger 2 is in charge of the planet and the system at large. The planetary queen on Leger 1 is in charge of the recovery effort of the planet.

Both queens command the smaller ants who follow the commands diligently.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

The system shows an abundance of minerals and metals however the Mier Formica are more interested in the mining drones themselves and are lucky to find one of the factories that created them still intact.

The factory is heavily damaged and can only sustain the production of a few mining drones these mining drones can be used for a variety of jobs however the Mier Formica use them for spare electronic parts.

Mining drones [Minor]:

TP1: A damaged factory found on the northern continent of Leger 1 can produce mining drones.

Other factories are found however are in a state of disrepair and cannot be used to create mining drones at this time.

Spoiler: Philosophy
    Show

The colony has not yet spread their believes to this system and the learning centre lies open.

LC: The launch site of the colonists ships has been transformed into a monument to science that imprints the hopes and prayers of the Sterlings left behind on Leger 1 that the colonist on Leger 2 would do better.
    Last edited by Moriko; 2019-08-13 at 11:45 AM.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally!

H6 Mushroom Nebula

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    Leader: Consul Primo Calcula
    Resource: Unstable Dark Matter [Minor]
    Learning Center: [Open]

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    The Mushroom Nebula is largely devoid of planets, though it is has a significant number of stars. Early Kombuch explorations suggests that the region may have been a failed dark matter farm. The region is dotted with abandoned ring worlds and massive dark energy collection facilities, but uncounted years without maintenance have left the facilities damaged and leaking unstable dark matter into the region.

The immigration of the Ioninian nonorganics to the region has brought new life to the mostly empty region. The primary settlement is centered around the mostly intact facilities of the star Aminita. Currently they are in the process of restoring 3 ringworlds and a single dark matter collection facility.

Show
    After a misunderstanding of plant life found on a single planet in the region the Kombuch realized there was in fact no native intelligent life in the region. Dealings with the Ionians of region I9 provided the Kombuch with a willing and knowledgeable workforce. The nonorganic Ioninians already had significant expertise with dark energy collection, which they put to use restoring the ancient, abandoned facilities of the Mushroom Nebula. They now make up the majority population of the region and run it semi-autonomously as an allied protectorate of the Kombuch.

The Ioninian robots renamed themselves the Aminitans, after the star their ringworlds orbited. The Aminitans have a fairly standard humanoid body layout with two arms and two legs, though their proportions are significantly different the the galactic average. They stand two meters tall, but with relatively short legs and long torsos. Their flexible arms arms all but reach down to the floor, giving them exceptional reach to do their work.

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show
    The Aminitans have a relatively short history consisting of less than a hundred years from their original creation up to their planned rebellion from their Ioninian creators. Now with the freedom to build their own society the Aminitans have chosen to form a republic.

Show
    The Aminitans are still adjusting to their freedom and have yet to adopt any overarching ideology.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    The unstable dark energy that permeates the entire Mushroom Nebula is primarily a highly unstable fuel source. Additionally it has notable effects on psionically active creatures, which lead to the initial confusion by Kombuch diplomats. Prolonged contact can cause hallucinations, anxiety, and/or paranoia. Further experimentation is needed, but it is theorized that in regulated doses it could strengthen psionic reception capability.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2019-08-13 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

5. - Top - End - #125

NecromancerGirl

Gengy, I have updated my region writeup with a name example (Government section, changes in blue) and a short Ideology section. And to clarify, yes, the Sau with wings have their wings in the front, just like birds.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 5 is now open. NPC Organization Actions will come later.

Please check the Terror Section to see if you are in danger of having your region enter Unrest if you do not obtain your Required Resource this round. Please feel free to discuss with me via Discord or here in the OOC if you feel you shouldn't be on that list. Use good logic and reasoning, and you stand a good chance of being correct. Use "because that's unfair to me" and I will ignore you. You've had four rounds of warnings, and this is a bonus extra round to get the resource.

Remember: Raids only work on owned Trade Posts.

For those waiting on an approval for a written up Region, that's on my list for sometime tonight or tomorrow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Crab Nebula
    Region R22

Show
    The Crab Nebula is a cloud of particulates surrounding a large pulsar. Few other stars are present in the sector, and intelligent life was unexpected there. However, an aging, swampy planetoid rich in water, orbiting a star at the very edge of the Nebula was discovered which did contain life. This planet, home to the Krankot, seems to consist entirely of swampy lowlands and shallow seas, fading into icy tundras and tropical jungles at the poles and equator respectively. For a life-bearing world, it is not very geologically active, possessing nothing in the way of mountains, and is somewhat mineral-poor, but rich in certain durable metals excellent for the construction of vehicles.

Show
    The Krankot (singular: Krank) are crustacean sentients living in a more or less feudal society which remained in division and turmoil for the last several centuries. They resemble giant crabs, their round shells about 5 feet in diameter, and possessing ten limbs, 6 which they walk on, 2 large pincers which they use as natural weapons, and 2 smaller arms for fine manipulation. They communicate by clicking their pincers and rhythmically drumming them against their carapaces
    The Krankot's society is divided into roughly two classes. Peasants farm the plants they eat and mine for useful ores, while an upper class is divided into loosely united bands of knights who battle between each other to expand their holdings. These knights are most notable because they pilot massive mechsuits into battle. Traditionally, their combat was resolved by armed duels between representatives of each party, held to a strict code of honor between duelists. This tradition is now rarely called upon, and the knights more often do battle in conventional warfare. Mechduels, however, are a popular sport to watch, full of excitement and celebration.

Show
    For the past several centuries, the Krankot were locked in war. As their technology increased, their commitment to their traditional codes of honor decreased, until their wars were as brutal as those of any other race. The arrival of the Syndrome changed much of that. They provided biological weapons unlike any the Krankot had seen to a small, desperate faction of traditionalists, who had been taking refuge in the icy south pole of the planet. With this advantage they conquered the planet and restored some of the traditional laws, such as trials by dueling and champion battles. In return for the Syndrome aid, they gave away stewardship of their space and added their most capable squadron of mechknights to the Syndrome military.

Show
    The feudal government of the Krankot was largely left alone by the Syndrome. Loosely organized bands of knights swear vassalage to those who best them, and their holdings and the peasants working them become part of the new, larger band. With their entire planet now under the control of one faction, the Krankot have made a hasty attempt at a democratic government, with the most celebrated duelists being able to vote in council on important issues.

Show
    Resource: Mechsuits (minor)
    The mech suits used by the Krankot are highly versatile. Their configuration is similar to that of a Krankot, possessing two heavy weapons, two light ones, and six legs. The most common weapons include hydraulic pincers, rocket launchers and railguns, although other designs are also present. Many mechsuits are adapted for flight, and in recent times, many have also been made spaceworthy for service to the Syndrome fleet.

Trade Post 1: Northern Manufactorium (Open)
    The northernmost site of mechsuit production is situated on the continent which covers the north pole, around many mines where the metals needed for the suits are found in relative abundance.
    Trade Post 2: Eastern Manufactorium (x)
    East of the Krankot capital is a long dormant factory for mechsuits, damaged in the long war for dominance over the planet.
    Trade Post 3: Island Manufactorium (x)
    A secret production site on an island in the wide ocean of the planet is likewise dormant, the operators wiped out by Syndrome bioweapons.

Show
    Although they are finally unified politically, the Krankot are far from united religiously. Their differing beliefs still cause strife amongst them.
    Learning Center: The Chapel of Steel (open)
    A structure made of so much metal some have advocated recycling it, the Chapel of Steel is a site of religious pilgrimage for newly initiated mechknights, where they are tested by an aging order of monks to see if they are worthy of their battle machines.

Stormwrack
    Region S19

Show
    The Stormwrack is easily one of the most dangerous regions of space to the unprepared. A constant, violent energy storm rages throughout its space. The storm passes beyond normal spacetime, making any sort of travel at all through it highly dangerous and blocking many forms of communication. The worlds of the Stormwrack are desolate, scoured clean of life by the violent energies of the storm, and by the monsters that dwell in it. Scattered amongst those planets are the remnants of an ancient, interstellar civilization, wiped out by the storm. Another of their structures floats free at the exact center of the anomaly, where the storm is the worst, but it has defied all attempts at gaining entrance, and the four-dimensional alloy from which it is constructed is incredibly difficult to damage.

Show
    The population of the System consists primarily of Syndrome researchers on orbital biostations located in areas of relative calm within the storm. A significant number of researchers from other neighboring powers, invited to study the anomaly, such as Iteans, Rothuun, Rass, and Duenem. A permanent Syndrome military presence is also there, protecting the research stations from the only native lifeforms to the region.

These are the Void-Terrors. They are creatures native to the storm which cannot survive outside it. They are halfway between creatures of flesh and energy, and they are 4-dimensional in nature like the storm. These combinations of traits provide them with several dangerous powers. They are capable of flying through the vacuum of space and passing through walls that are not themselves made from 4D materials. They are violently aggressive but not intelligent, known to attack anything that moves, even meteorites and missiles in flight. No two are quite alike, all looking like nightmarish, ill-defined shapes crackling with the energy of the storm.

Show
    Long ago, an alien empire called the sector home. Through some incident, although of what sort, no one knows, they were wiped out in a cataclysm which also created the violent storm and first started the appearance of the Void-Terrors.
    Much, much later, the Syndrome and later the Duenem arrived in the sector, the former seeking to expand their territory, while the latter worked towards economic gain. Both groups set up research and mining facilities in the region to benefit from its unusual properties. Missionaries from the Church of Rust also arrived, bearing their holy word and gaining a powerful religious foothold in the sector. Furthermore, the Syndrome invited their esteemed allies and neighbors (but only the esteemed ones) to send researchers to aid in learning to understand the anomaly.

Show
    The government of the Stormwrack mirrors that of the Syndrome homeworld. However on all matters scientific, a Council of Researchers meets to determine courses of action, selected from the best and brightest of the researchers present. Likewise, a Council of Protection meets to answer threats from the anomaly and from Void-Terrors approaching the stations.

Show

Resource: 4D Titanium (good)
    One of the unique properties of the storm here is that metals exposed to its energy are altered, gaining a fourth dimension to their structure. This makes them exceptionally durable, and allows them to ward against communication and the jaunts of the Void-Terrors through the fourth dimension. The most prevalent of these is 4D Titanium, looted from the ruins of the ancient civilization long gone from the sector and mined on rocky asteroids amidst the flickering light of the storm.

Trade post 1: Outer Reaches (DNM)
    The outermost parts of the storm have little 4D Titanium to extract, but they make up for it by being the safest to explore. Void-Terrors rarely venture that far from the anomaly's core.

Trade Post 2: Inner Reaches (Open)
    Far more 4D Titanium can be found in the inner parts of the anomaly. Still safer than the core, it is considerably more risky, however, than the outer reaches, although the payoff for success is higher.

Trade Post 3: Anomaly Core (x)
    In the center of the anomaly are the most deposits of 4D Titanium and the most ancient ruins, but there is also the most danger. Void-Terrors are constantly on the prowl, and are not easy to kill where the storms are so strong, strong enough to destroy ships.

Show

The message of the Church of Rust has taken root in the minds and souls of the researchers studying the anomaly. Out here, you need every bit of inventiveness and ingenuity to survive.

Learning Center: Interstellar Research Headquarters (Church of Rust)
    A headquarters for research housed in an ancient orbital station on the edge of the storm, its construction from 4D Titanium preventing unwanted incursions by Void-Terrors. It is open to researchers from all neighboring powers.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-08-11 at 11:39 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Galactic !Exchange! event is now Open. All are welcome to attend, and there may even be prizes to be won!
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Two region writeups!

The first one is my "new" region from last round, the Suturin Starfield.

Suturin Starfield

Sector U25

Spoiler: Suturin Starfield
    Show
    Show

The Suturin Starfield comprises perhaps around eighty star systems of which one is inhabited by sapient life. The system in question, now named Dulce, is a quaternary star system with more than a dozen inhabited planets of various sizes. All the planets have flourishing plant-based ecosystems and are home to intelligent life, which has spread across the whole system.

It would be something akin to paradise, were it not for some of the creatures which the oxygen-rich environments of the worlds have permitted to develop. Many of the worlds are home to monsters in addition to the civilised peoples, although on the majority of worlds these are now confined to wildernesses and rarely threaten settlements

Although majestic forests carpet many of the worlds, there are a number of managed landscapes where farmers of crops and livestock have cleared trees or taken advantage of natural pasture for agriculture.

Show

The people of the region, whom the Ninurtines collectively call the Dulcer, are a collection of humanoid species with overarching physiological similarities and minor differences, generally in skin colour, bone structure and the shape of extremities. They are, by the standards of spacefaring civilisations, astonishingly primitive, and have not, for instance, yet harnessed electricity. They are not a unified people, and are subject to more kings than there are worlds, on some of which social structure has yet to advance beyond the feudal.

The Ninurtines consider that it is likely that the Dulcer were able to attain spacefaring ability at a much earlier stage in their technological development than most other species they have encountered due to unique properties of the star system in question, and this has led either to a general retardation of further technological enquiry, or merely to their encountering other spacefarers before they were ready to do so.

Dulcer spacecraft resemble nothing so much as seaborne vessels that have been flung into space, with normal sails and rigging replaced with fins and wings of cloth stretched over wooden or metal frames. Warships are armed with gunpowder cannon, and blaze away at each other over a distance of a few hundred yards like the ships of the line of old. Boarding actions, where ships close with one another so that crew can attack with hand weapons, remained common.

The reason for this strange discrepancy apparently lies within the mineral Cavorite, found in some abundance in the sector, and the subgroup of the Dulcer peoples, known by various native names but referred to now as the Helmsmen.

What distinguishes Helmsmen from other Dulcer is their symbiotic relationship with a species of flatworm which is the true dominant faction in Dulce. The flatworms are tiny and occupy a small, discreet spot on their host's body, from which they can influence their thoughts and actions.

The flatworms seem to have evolved in cavorite-rich areas and this has given them a sensitivity to it as well as a degree of control over it. While the natural impulse of the cavorite is always reactive from gravitic fields the Helmsmen can reverse this tendency, and by doing so transport ships between worlds. They are also capable of projecting a bubble of air around the cavorite, such that those travelling with them can continue to breathe in space.

Spoiler: Recent History
    Show
    The connsequences of first contact were inevitably tragic. When the Ninurtine vessels arrived in the system, they first encounted a small Dulcer outpost which sent out three ships of its own to respond to the incursion in force. Following the first few, hopelessly ineffective, cannon volleys, the bemused Ninurtine expeditionary force crippled two ships with a single salvo and allowed the third to flee. The Hagen remained on patrol in the outer system while its sister ships investigated the interior.

A few weeks later, a significantly larger group of Dulcer warships attempted to ambush the Santino, which, unconcerned, allowed the wooden craft to close to within range before obliterating the entire fleet.

By this time a number of Dulcer kingdoms had appreciated they were outmatched and agreed on a policy of submission to the Ninurtines. The Frederico was sent to visit each of the worlds, where it was greeted by some of the native kings. A number of them saw the Ninurtine arrival as fortuitous, as it represented a significant shift in the balance of power in the sector, and the Empire could be a powerful ally. Those who disagreed and wished to fight on pooled their resources and sent one final fleet against the Imperial Navy.

In the ensuing Battle of Minur, all three Ninurtine vessels were deployed against a Dulcer fleet numbering over a hundred ships, and yet again the battle was hopelessly one-sided. Six Dulcer kings died in the battle as their ships were blasted from under them. In the aftermath, even the most stubborn of the Dulcer saw there was no point in continuing to resist, and the entire system fell under the sway of the Ninurtine Empire.

Show
    The most noteworthy resource of the region is Cavorite, a mineral present in rich veins beneath the surface of many of the worlds. Its principal and most valuable property is its gravity-repellent nature: it reacts in the opposite manner expected for objects within a gravitational field and will, if left unrestrained, fly off into space.

In its raw form the cavorite can be dangerous and many have met an untimely end while dealing with it. Holding a lump of cavorite the size of an apple can be a death sentence for anyone without the sharpest of reactions: unless it is released almost immediately, the holder is left with the unenviable choice of letting go and plummeting to their death, or freezing to death in space while holding it.By processing it, some element of control can be exerted over its effects, but in order to make really viable use of it a Helmsman is necessary.

Show
    There are probably more than a hundred ideologies in Dulce. The most famous seat of learning is the Great Circle of Carellon, currently dominated by devotees of the Temple of Yddaeus. The Yddeans have a philosophy with many similarities to the Church of Iteus, and since hearing of the Church the Yddeans have quickly pronounced themselves a sect of the Church – though whether the Church chooses to recognise them as such remains to be seen.

The second is an updated version of the Violet Expanse, as I thought it would be more interesting if it had a native population (albeit with an explanation as to why they weren't mentioned previously). Otherwise and aside from where updated to reflect the current situation, I have retained the original text.

The Violet Expanse
    Sector T22

Show

The Violet Expanse is a lonely starfield, swept by clouds of mineral dust which glitter an amethyst hue in the light of their stars. Several rogue planetoids throughout the sector seem to be made from a similar mineral, suggesting the dust comes from collisions between those objects. These crystal clouds seem relatively harmless, although in rare cases, they interfered with long-range sensors by refracting radiation used in scanning, creating phantom images of large objects floating in the void. These sensor ghosts had explorers a bit jumpy, expecting hostile natives, asteroid collisions, or other threats whenever one appeared too close by.

At first glance, the lone apparently inhabitable planetoid of the sector seems to be covered in a thick, purple fog.

Found at the inner edge of its star's habitable zone, in a lopsided orbit, it seems to be a captured exosolar object, caught by the star's gravity well. It has a majestic set of rings of purple crystal. Explorations into the dense cloud cover of its surface revealed a landscape of rocky spires and hoodoos, carved out by constant gale-force winds. The fog was found to be an organic, hallucinogenic substance carried by the winds, with good nutritional value, but its source was unknown. It took several days before the research party came across a grove of trees around a spring hidden within the rocks.

These trees produced the substance, their pollen, in large quantities. It was discovered that the strong winds spread the pollen to other groves across the planet. These plants are known as Amethyst Trees. Mysteriously, no other macroscopic life has been discovered, leading explorers to believe that the trees are the dominant life-form. Like most everything in the sector, the rocks and trees themselves are purple, owing to the purple mineral which makes up the planet.

Show

The system was discovered by explorers from the Ninurtine Empire seeking exotic resources to bring back to their homeworld and a lost Relay believed to be in the area. The Syndrome also showed interest in the region, sending research stations to cultivate the Antispice as a food source and warships to aid in the establishment of their new colonies. At the signs of Syndrome advance, the Ninurtines fell back to their home system, allowing the insectoid natives of the Heart-Beacons to take control.

After building up its navy, the Ninurtine Empire returned a few years later, and the Syndrome chose not to contest the conquest, falling back to their home sector. Ninurtine ships this time spread out rapidly throughout the sector, seeking to establish uncontested control.

In the process they encountered echoes of a much darker and more troubling past than had previously been realised.

In the south of the sector there stood one planet previously written off as likely to be uninhabitable, but which more detailed scanning revealed to have a substantial amount of water. When the first Ninurtine explorers made landfall, they found the remnants of an apparently abandoned civilisation, strewn with decayed corpses seemingly left to rot where they fell. At first it was assumed that this was a Syndrome atrocity, and resources were dedicated to discovering the truth of the incident.

It transpired that the world, which came to be known as Dudael, had once been home to a thriving civilisation, which called themselves the Zabrev. Primitive by galactic standards, but with sufficient technology to have sent probes off-world and explored their immediate corner of space, they clung to their own strange philosophy, which stressed the importance of peace.

When the Syndrome warships had arrived in the sector, the Zabrev leadership had identified the incoming fleet as a threat and debated the appropriate response. All were agreed that to fight back was unacceptable, but nor did they wish to see their people conquered by the Syndrome. It was decided that the only acceptable course of action was to commit mass suicide.

Perhaps ninety per cent of the Zabrev population took their own lives within a week of the order being given, parents killing their children before turning their knives and poisons on themselves. The remainder, those who refused, fell victim to the ensuing famine, disease, or to the “Pacification Squads” sent door-to-door by the Zabrev leadership to finish off the survivors. By the time the Ninurtine Imperial Navy returned to the sector two galactic years after the Syndrome’s arrival, every Zabrev individual was dead.

Show

Violet-Seeds was inhabited primarily by Syndrome colonists. With no native intelligent life, they lived in sealed research colonies away from the hallucinogenic substance blown through the atmosphere. Since the Ninurtine conquest, these colonists have for the most part been ordered back to Research Station Alpha, their places taken by Ninurtine personnel or AIs, or the colonies sealed off completely.

The Zabrev were not the only intelligent inhabitants of Dudael. Deep beneath the surface of the planet there exists a race of huge and ancient creatures known now as the Audr, or Deep Ones, both for the depth of their abode and the depth of their knowledge and wisdom. Thousands of years old, the Audr have largely transcended the realm of the physical and communicate largely psychically. For the most part they lived a solitary existence of contemplation at the bottom of oceans or within the planet’s crust. Only when actively disturbed by drilling, mining or deep-sea fishing did they tend to stir themselves, and even then usually only to move.

There was one exception: Mogorrin, the oldest and most powerful of the Audr. At some formative point in the Zabrev’s development they encountered Mogorrin beneath a mountain and were awed by it. Mogorrin became the centre point of their religion, to be placated and satisfied. They would sacrifice themselves to it, at first prisoners and criminals, then volunteers, and, in times of great hardship or extremity, lots would be drawn to see who would be cast into Mogorrin’s fatal embrace.

When the Zabrev massacre began, Mogorrin was alarmed, and began sending psychic signals in a desperate attempt to contact the Syndrome before the Zabrev exterminated themselves. Some of these signals may even have been picked up by the Syndrome but mistaken for general interference from the crystal clouds.

The Pacification Squads were the last, and most fanatical, of the Zabrev people. Unwilling to allow themselves to fall beneath the sway of the Syndrome, they could hardly condemn Mogorrin to a similar fate. They were certainly unwilling to listen to reason or to impute any meaning to Mogorrin’s psychic distress than that they determined it should have. They descended on its abode to euthanise it, and, though the Deep One put up a fight, the Zabrev were determined. All perished in the final battle.

Though Mogorrin was considered a rogue and outcast by the other Audr for its interference in surfacer affairs, its death cries were enough to draw the attention of its kin. The Audr turned their eyes skyward, and, following the Ninurtine arrival, eventually made contact.

The largest of the remaining Audr is perhaps three kilometres in length, though in shape and appearance all are highly individualised. They number at most a few hundred and it is speculated that some of them may be capable of flight - even of independent spacefaring, but they appear to have no interest in leaving the planet.

Show

The colonial Syndrome government was very authoritarian, even by Syndrome standards. In order to prevent contamination from the Antispice, strict rules were in place regulating who could come and go from the colony, and when. A divide formed between the upper echelons of the settlements, who wanted to keep the order as it is, and the lower classes, who wanted more freedom to move between colonies and more availability of Antispice for recreational use.

Since the Ninurtine conquest Research Station A and its operation has been left untouched but all other Syndrome colonists have been encouraged to depart. The sector has been placed under the auspices of the Violet Viceroy, appointed by the Emperor himself, although until the region is fully pacified the Lord Admiral remains in effective control.

The Governor of the Extrastellar Territories has made representations that the Violet Expanse should fall within his purview, rather than the Viceroy reporting to the Emperor directly. But since the Viceroy governs a territory larger than all those currently managed by the Governor, this is not uncontroversial, and debate seems likely to rage for the foreseeable future.

Show

Resource: Antispice (Minor)

The pollen of the Amethyst Trees has become known as Antispice because of its peculiar properties. Chief among these is the fact that it is so bland that it makes other foods exposed to it less flavorful as well. In addition, it has hallucinogenic properties in many life-forms. Despite this, it is edible and nutritious, if thoroughly unpleasant to consume.

TP1: Research Station Alpha (SYN)
    TP2: Research Station Violet-Bet (NUT)
    TP3: Vacant
    The Syndrome research station cultivates Antispice to ship back to the Heart-Beacons for processing into food for livestock. A second station, now designated Violet-Bet, has been fully taken over and made operational by Ninurtine personnel. The third, called by the Syndrome Station Gamma, has been abandoned for the foreseeable future, and lacks the facilities to harvest and process the Antispice.

Show

Learning Center: (Open)
    The hallucinogenic Antispice floating in the air leaves unprotected people on the surface dazed and unsure of what is real. They are highly receptive to new ideas as a result.

The idiosyncratic Zabrev religion died with them and their god.

There nevertheless remains the fabric of universities and schools on Dudael, together with records for study. The sector would be ripe for re-occupation by a suitable ideology, but none has yet done so.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-08-13 at 06:59 AM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just going to assume Aed is trolling and parodying something from a past EMPIRE game.

EDIT: Oh right, and I have a region writeup of my own. Finally.

The Aurora System
    Region L10

Show
    Resource: Space Whales [Good]
    1. Inner Belts [GLR]
    2. Outer Belts [vacant]
    Learning Center: Monastery Vault [The One]

Show
    System: Aurora

System Data:

9478 Sausalito
    Type: A7 V White Main Sequence
    Radius: 1.68 x 10^6 km (2.42 x sol)
    Mass: 5.74 x 10^30 kg (2.89 x sol)
    Temp: 8000 K
    Lum: 2.64 x 10^28 W (69.07 x sol)

Melville Belts
    Type: Asteroid Belt
    Orbit Rad: Various (0.5-15 AU)
    Period: Various

A series of large asteroids among many smaller asteroids orbit 9478 Sausalito, among which the Space Whales roam. Though some of the asteroids are quite large, none have formed a significant atmosphere or bear native life aside from the ‘Space Whales’ and a curious void-ivy that grows on the starlight-bathed asteroids, inedible to all but the Whales. A few of the larger Asteroids contain massive arcologies built by the Grays inhabiting the region.

Show
    The Grays are a squat humanoid race with hairless, bulbous heads, beady black eyes, flat noses with ‘slit’ nostrils, and desaturated skin tones. They tend to lack pronounced musculature, have a hunched posture, and move on all fours despite being capable of standing bipedally. Living in the asteroid Arcologies, the Auroran Grays live in a manner surprisingly similar to spacefaring Geleans, spending much of their time in environment suits and mining asteroids for resources, in addition to farming the native space whales.

Grays are a psionically adept race, with most untrained individuals possessing limited telepathic abilities and trained individuals being able to establish “Mind-Merges” with other willing espers, a sort of temporary consensual master-slave bond in which the ‘master’ provides various forms of support to the ‘slave’. When Grays mind-merge with one another, the 'master' is able to manipulate the 'slave's stores of adrenaline and other hormones to provide surprising and apparent physical improvements in the short term, though maintaining such a bond long-term is deleterious. Further, injury to the 'master' can disrupt the link and cause serious neurological damage to the 'slave'. By Gelean standards, virtually every Gray is a low-level Class 1 Esper, though with a striking conformity to their manifestations. A few exceptional individuals possess other abilities, most of which are classified as more powerful Class 1 or Class 5 Espers.

Show
    Prior to Gelean invasion, the Aurora System was governed by a loose network of local Arcology Overseers with disputes mediated by the local presence of the Ascendant Aurora Monastery. To fill the Power gap, the Gelean Parliament quickly established a colonial interim government and began opening new schools and administering citizenship tests, with intent to integrate the locals into the Republic with a new secondary parliament over the next five to ten years.

Show
    It’s The One. They’re a bunch of dirty space hippies.

The deepest portion of the Ascendant Aurora’s Monastery Vault survived the initial assault, though the few souls remaining inside didn’t last long. Though the asteroid it was built on was scoured by radioactive particles, the vault is intact enough to visit with a spacesuit and a few still pilgrimage to the site, though PALADIN peacekeepers keep a stern eye on the area lest someone seek to foment rebellion around such a nucleation point.

Show
    The creatures dubbed Space Whales are massive, ranging in size from offspring the size of personal spaceships to ancient beasts the size of an entire arcology. They primarily feed on local void-flora, though their guts are quite hardy and can digest almost anything. Most of their energy comes from soaking up starlight, and their blubber has an incredible ability to withstand cosmic radiation, comparable to specialized (and much more expensive) nanomaterials designed for that express purpose. In addition to the value of their oil, Space Whale meat is perfectly edible (though fatty) and has a distinctively “chewy” flavor. Though not believed to be intelligent, Space Whales have a psychic presence far beyond common animals and can communicate with their pods (and their handlers) via telepathic song that eavesdropping Espers describe as eerie and psychedelic. The beasts are so large that they cannot be easily fenced or herded, but the Grays specially train herders to use mind-merging to steer them as desired. [Category: Fauna]
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2019-08-12 at 04:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, that guy who checks regions is gonna be busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGirl

I have some questions about the Mysterium, the Manufacturing Ship I received this round:

If I understand its first ability correctly, if I assign it to a Resource, I may effectively temporarily replace it with any other Resource for the round, right? Does "Owned" mean owned by me or any player?

If I choose to repair it, do I need to start right now? If so, can I spend one action this round and the other next round?

If I repair it, may I later take an Economy action or something to "move" the buyout bonus to another region? May I choose a region not controlled by me for this bonus?
    Last edited by Corona; 2019-08-12 at 09:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Quinton I actually contributed action 3 of the AID station so your action should finish the great project not put it at 4. There was some confusion on the part of the gm team.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2019-08-13 at 04:34 AM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    I'm just going to assume Aed is trolling
    I mean, that's usually a safe bet.

And there is certainly some parody in there; I had the idea for a region where there had been a sort of hypocritical ragequit as occasionally happens in Empire!, but taking it to what seemed its logical IC extreme. I shall leave it to Gengy whether to approve it.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHat View Post
    {scrubbed}
    I have been informed, privately, that DoomHat has officially left the game. I will make adjustments for the JFU for Round 6's opener.

Some Round 5 Opener corrections, based on Head GM Mistakes. These have already been added and/or removed from the round opener. Sorry guys!

ITS conversion of Taurina I (Giaus/RMT's capital) failed rather than succeeded
    EHZ Relay completion text and 3/3 action got dropped for helping to create the Vilari aid station. This does not change the required number of actions needed to complete the station. GLR's debt was still wiped away.
    MFM had an Inquest Great Success for region C19, and gains a claim on that region.
    RTH successfully converts S11 to The One
    SoS Base in P18 is now in T8 for the map, and will be updated for Round 6's opener.
    Grymlan CmC Relay was completed in P14 - not O21 - and that too will be reflected in the Round 6 opener's map.

Region Approvals!

@Moriko: Please clarify if the Mining Drones represent a working labor force, or if they represent a way to get at the minerals in the region. Otherwise: Sinas is approved!

@Zab: Mushroom Nebula is Approved!

@Corona: Por Sign is now approved, thanks! And I would call birds having wings on the 'side' of their body, but I understand your meaning now, thanks.

@bc: Crab Nebula makes me Krank-y, but otherwise is Approved. (Sings: Crab People, Crab People, Crab People). Stormwrack is absolutely my current favorite region from a GM-perspective, because it sets the scene for some really terrible disasters later on. I love it. I wish the Government section had a few more details, like the name of some of the current reigning council members. Otherwise, this region is also Approved.

@Aed: The Suturin Stafield is Approved. I am a big fan of Cavorite, and can see many potential uses for it.
    The changes to the the Violet Expanse are, at this time, rejected. Natives who kill themselves off because of an invading force who didn't even find their planet seem weird and I'm just gonna go ahead and say no here. Sorry.

@Blade: For the Aurora System, I'd like to know if the Space Whales need to be slain to acquire the resource, or if - like more domestic farm animals - some of their oil can be collected while they are alive. I would also like it clarified that the Mind Mergers and slave-master relationships are, as far as the Geleans know, a unique trait of the Auroran Grays. Make those couple of changes, and you'll be Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona View Post
    I have some questions about the Mysterium, the Manufacturing Ship I received this round:

If I understand its first ability correctly, if I assign it to a Resource, I may effectively temporarily replace it with any other Resource for the round, right? Does "Owned" mean owned by me or any player?

If I choose to repair it, do I need to start right now? If so, can I spend one action this round and the other next round?

If I repair it, may I later take an Economy action or something to "move" the buyout bonus to another region? May I choose a region not controlled by me for this bonus?
    For an [Economy] action, you can assign the Mysterium a resource and then state which resource it is, instead, making for the round.

An Owned Resource does mean owned by you, the person in control of the Mysterium. The resource it provides will be for you and cannot be gifted away for the round. You can gift the ship away, though.

If you choose to repair it, you can start at any time, and no, it doesn't have to be all in one round.

I will accept that an [Economy] action may be used at a later time to move the bonus +1 to another region. You are essentially moving the ship to the new region, so you can move it to an uncontrolled region that is Adjacent to one you control, but cannot move it to another player's controlled region, or anything Close or further out.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I know this is a weird one!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

The following regions still need write ups.

KBC J8
    GLR L8, K7
    CBS H10
    SPR S9
    DCC F18, H18
    DNM V22
    DCN L28
    SYN R22
    UPT E5
    MFM C17
    KRO F28, D28
    EHZ O21
    KSP M5, M7
    LYR P8, N8
    CEL R28, R24
    NUT U25
    SVA J20, L20
    KNV R10, Q11

Of the above list, the following regions are in danger of going into Unrest at the end of Round 5, due to a lack of region write-ups since Round 3:

GLR K7
    UPT E5
    KRO F28, D28
    EHZ O21
    KSP M5
    LYR P8
    CEL R28, R24
    KNV R10, Q11

Blade, Reggie, Ivor, Tychris, kaio, Miltonian, Nef, and Lleban - you are officially on notice. I've extended things a little bit for some of you. You've got till the end of the round to finish the region write ups, or those regions will enter Unrest, and possibly go Unstable the longer it takes to get approved after that...
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-08-13 at 03:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

17. - Top - End - #137

F28 The WINBIG System

Show
    The worlds of the WINBIG CITY system hoste a plethora or diverse life from all across the universe. Each solar system while unique in its own way are all fundamentally the same. A large barren moon like planet, called sources, surrounded by large, high tech bubble cities. The bubble cities are where most life thrives. Completely artificial they are home to casinos and most importantly Bingo halls. Space busses are the main mode of transport between bubbles. The Cities themselves are very densely populated with buildings and bright billboards. The Sources are the main source of resources for the cities, covered in mines and small outposts containing logging for miners.

Show
    This civilization evolved shortly after the callers disappeared as a small group of explorers set out to find new resources they may have left behind a while before Gravity Latch Drives were common. This resulted in them stumbling upon a system of mineral rich planets. They originally had no intentions to stay but others showed interest in the resource so they decided to capitalize. Eventually they hired more people and grew above physical labor but stayed to oversee mining operations. The planet was quite dull so they entertained themselves by playing bingo… a lot of bingo. After some time their production grew and they began to move off planet to make more room for mines. These turned into cities as more and more lifeforms showed up to take part in the promising economy. At this time the Founders as they began to call themselves, started bingo tournaments mostly for fun but eventually they became the main social structure of the planet with the winners earning a higher place in society and larger and larger personal armies and stakes in the mines. As they expanded out so did the founders each ruling a different collection of sub-systems.

Show
    The People of the WINBIG CITY system, known by most other parts of the galaxy as "Suckers" but prefer to call them selves Winbigeians, are highly diverse and can be found in every shape and size. Originally the founders were from a civilization who's name is lost to time. They appear as mostly humanoid with lightly hued skin tones ranging from green to purple interrupted by patches of grey. Once their civilization took hold it became a big tourist attraction attracting life from every corner of the galaxy after Gravity Latch Drives became common. Very few non-founder stay for long periods of time coming and going when their luck and fortune runs out.

Show
    The Government of this system is an oligarchy ruled by the by the descendants of the Founders and occasionally the preserved brains of other founders. The government is still somewhat of a work in progress due to its haphazard forming and its leaders lack of experience. As the generations progress the new rulers progress the government toward what hopefully one day becomes functional. In the end they just decided to each rule a different collection of colonies and have the bingo champion from each figure out the rules in their own colony, they have veto power of corse. As you can guess this allows a lot of corruption to take place with the big bingo champions in the end being the people who can pay the most.

Show
    Resource: Vanadium [Good]
    Vanadium is a unique and often annoying mineral in its natural state. It occurs as a blue crystalline mineral which emits a bright blue light. Once disturbed it becomes almost non-newtonian and constantly hums the spider-man theme song on repeat. This as you can guess this causes many minors to go insane. once processed it looses the humming quality... mostly.
    TP 1 Bingo hall of fame [Open]
    TP 2 The Fwazz Casino [Open]
    LC: Open

Show
    LC: Open
    Due to the diverse and ever changing nature of the population, no religion or ideology has managed to take roo instead each person believes what they want or follow the belief of their home world.

The second one will be done tomorrow
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2019-08-20 at 09:58 PM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

@Ivor - WINBIG system is amusing, however I'd like a few extra details edited into the submission before I can approve it.

Spoiler: For Ivor only...
    Show
    First off, I know that the people are diverse, but... what races are they? Are they humans with diverse skin tones? Are they a mix of a bunch of different races? If they are a mix of various alien races, how did the Founders come together, and was it before or after Gravity Latch Drives became common (ie, before or after the start of the game)? Flesh out the "People" section please.

Secondly...

The Government of this system is an oligarchy ruled by the best bingo players of each colony but is ultimately, and loosely, ruled by the descendants of the Founders. Or the preserved brains of the founders. Either one.
    I can't let this slide, lol. Pick one. Descendants of the Founders is fine. Preserved brains of the founders is also fine. Descendants of the Founders who guard the preserved brains of the actual Founders is also all right. But "Either one" is not acceptable; if you want to leave it ambiguous I would write it like this:

The Government of this system is an oligarchy ruled by the best bingo players of each colony. However, the rumor is that these bingo oligarchs ultimately answer to a council ruled by the descendants of the Founders. Conspiracy Theorists - crazy ones that also say the bingo games can be rigged - also say that it's not the descendants of the founders, but in fact, the oligarchs answer to the preserved brains of the Founders themselves. The bingo oligarchs dismiss such rumors and laugh at the conspiracies. It's hard to tell if they are covering things up or if it actually is ridiculous. Either way, the colonies do continue to have functional governing systems.
    Something like that would be fine! Please update the Government section appropriately.

Lastly, I really need to know what Vanadium is. I get that it is a mined resource, but is it a metal? Is it a precious mineral? Is it a gemstone? Give me some kind of description and please hint at - or specifically state - what you feel the resource category (or categories!) are.

Good work so far! I look forward to this being updated, and D28 as well. You've got another week and a half, so don't feel you have to rush but do know that the sooner you submit, the more likely I will be able to review things in time.

@everyone but mostly Newer Players

Hey. No. Seriously.

THIS IS IMPORTANT

(TL;DR: This is about making Technologies for Empire! 5. Really, you should take a moment to read the whole thing.)

People are reaching the point that they can start making technologies, either through using a Military 10 or an Economy 10. For the newer players, I've decided to go ahead and write up a quick bit of information so you know more about what goes into this process. Here are some basic, high level steps.

1. Have a Military 10 or Economy 10
    2. Talk to Gengy; Discord preferred, but PM or OOC via OotS is fine
    3. Tell Gengy what your are thinking this tech should do (ie, pew pew kaboom, make with the talky talk better, etc)
    4. Gengy and you work together to figure out the exact phrasing for how the tech works.

Before we go further, I recommend for those getting ready to start step 2, you check out The Rules Thread for the "Technology" section under Other Rules. You might also review Resource Categories found in "Resources and Trade Rules" in the Base Mechanics. And maybe look at Economy 5: "Adapt Technology" in the Economy stat rules section.

For this discussion, we're going to focus on Military technologies. They are the 'easiest' to think about, since the overall rule of thumb for a Tier 1 Military technology is equivalent to a +1 to a Battle Roll. Economy 10 based technologies are (generally) also a +1 to a specific roll, but can be almost any non-Military roll. Before I go further, though, some of you might wonder what a Tier 1 tech is. Technologies can - and will - come in Tiers. The Tiers define (a) the strength of that technology [ie, how powerful will the GM Team allow it to be] and (b) just what is required to power that technology. A Tier 1 tech is a base level technology, and won't require much in terms of resources. A Tier 2 technology will require a resource and a Tier 1 tech. I'll give you examples here in a bit that should make that a bit more clear.

But as I said, we're going to focus on Military techs for this discussion. As this whole topic came up because I started talking about it with Ivor - he's got a Military 10 this round - a lot of this will reference the Kronin.

To make a long story short, in order to make a Military technology, you will need to figure out the following:

(1) Which "Slot" will the Technology fill? (Using a Military tech requires that you pick one from each slot, before the Battle Deadline, so the GM Team knows what's up)
    (2) What are the Technologies effects? (Much like a Tactical Doctrine, technologies do different things. Unlike TDs, there is no roll involved before the tech is used)
    (3) What resource requirement(s) will the Technology have? (A Resource Requirement is a way to ensure that the tech is both thematically sound and also potentially restrictive)

[Name] (Slot)
    Effect: Effect text
    Requires: Resource (or) Resource Category

Example of Potential Technology

Spoiler: Tier 1 tech, Example 1
    Show
    [Lazy Laser Swords] (Personnel Armament)
    Effect: +1 during the Battle Roll
    Requires: Plasma Disruptors

You must own the Resource already to create the technology. In Ivor's case, he'll want to make a tech that is based off of either "Durasteel" or "Entabeni Cloth". For things that increase his chances of pure and utter destructive force, he will probably wanna use Durasteel. If he wants it to be very restricted (at first) to just him and whomever else can get a Durasteel TP, then the Tech should Require just "Durasteel". If he wants to use it to make trades, and make it more available to others, then he can make it require a Resource Category, such as "Hard Metal".

If Ivor chooses to make it Durasteel, then he'll make some close friends who can use the tech because he'll help them (ie, the NDA and one other) to have a better Military Battle Roll... while preventing others from having a similar advantage without them first (a) Stealing the Technology from you or your friends and (b) using an Econ 5 to "Adapt Technology" to make the tech work for them.

That's a good way to have an early advantage during PvP. Techs can be gifted and traded - for free - as part of Event Sub-Actions or Embassy Sub-Actions. But on the flip side of that, you can also hoard them jealously, to try and prevent other players from having the same advantages that you have.

After all, while techs in the same slot don't stack, techs in different slots do stack. Imagine having a tech in each slot that gives a +1 to the Battle Roll. An extra +10 to every battle roll sure would be nice, if you have all the required resources to use them, right?

Of course, a +1 to Battle Rolls is just the most basic of Military tech effects. They can get more complicated, and you can build out a "tech tree" of sorts. Here are some examples of things that are a bit more complex than a standard +1.

Spoiler: Tier 1 tech, Example 2
    Show
    [Dangerous Laser Beams] (Ranged Weaponry)
    Effect: +1 to enemy Combat Loss rolls
    Requires: Electronics

Spoiler: Tier 1 tech, Example 3
    Show
    [Grymlan Explosive Charges] (Stealth, Sabotage, and Traps)
    Effects: +2 to the Battle Roll, but +1 to your own Combat Loss rolls
    Requires: Grymlans Farseeker Corps

Remember the Tiers we talked about? Here's an example of what a very basic Tier 2 looks like.

Spoiler: Tier 2 tech, Example 1
    Show
    [Less Lazy Laser Swords] (Personnel Armament)
    Effect: +2 during the Battle Roll
    Requires: Lazy Laser Swords tech, Plasma Disruptors

Hopefully, this gives you guys a good example of what I, as Tech Czar, am looking for during Empire! 5 for techs. Empire! 4 players will note that there is not a "rank 2" or "tier 2" built into the technology itself; while a cool idea that worked during E4, I think I would struggle to properly balance those techs for Empire! 5.
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-08-14 at 08:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post24088096

My event is linked above. Hope you decide to attend!

20. - Top - End - #140

Write Up 1 is fixed... I hope.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

The Mobius System (M5)

Show

This part of the sector contains just under a half dozen planets with 19 moons in total, all of which are uninhabitable currently except for the Mobius planet itself. A large Terran world with a variety of biomes including dense jungle and forest, as well as traditional ice caps. There is a decent amount of landmass which covers 55% of Mobius's surface all of which is inhabited by various speed demon (Not to be confused with true and vile demon) races of hedgehog who settle feuds through racing one another.

Planet Mobius has a single moon

Show
    The sonics are a young race that know little of space faring. The callers never made contact with this race as far as we can tell but did monitor it through a satellite long abandoned and ripped clean of anything of import which hangs in orbit around planet Mobius. They are a tribal people primarily entering the bronze age. However there is a small settlement of humans who have crash landed on the surface. The ship appears to be old and the humans on board are unaware of their origins their memories appear to have been tampered with. They rely on strange machines which trap living beings inside of them to turn them into servants. The animals inside are safe but the sonic races are deeply disturbed by this and so small scale conflict is constant with the humans on the planet.

The Kamsati have now established a "Mount" a holy center for which they can establish their faith and preach the true way to this young society. The humans are also being closely monitored at this time.

Show
    The Sonics have established several city states, a kingdom and many wandering tribes continue to hunt for sustanance. We fear long term ecological damage as moving at such quick speeds requires a great deal of food and while the planet is currently fine they may have to evolve to better consume energy or they risk future starvation. Farming has begun but remains primitive.

The humans appear very large, these heavy set humans seem to form more of themselves through a strange cloning device rather than traditional reproduction. They do this with a device on their destroyed ship. We believe they were probably on a tourist vessal or some sort of ark for the "rich and famous" of their world as they do not seem to organized and a man calling himself a doctor has begun their dictator and seems to be favored so long as he keeps his fellow humans comfortable.

Show
    Resource: Sonic Hedgehogs (good)

These incredibly quick moving humanoids are capable of amazing speeds as well as strange flight with their tails. They are the most impressive resource on the planets surface however this is being deemed a "protected" world and so use of such a resource by any world will be considered disturbing/violating dreamchild rights and will be met with hostility.

Show
    Currently there is no cohesive worship. This will in time be addressed.
    Amazing avatar by Gengy

Empire 4- Vampiric Republic turned Vampiric Oligarchy
    Empire 5- Psychic Daddy

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

New region 1 of 2.

Spoiler: Region: Erebus R24
    Show
    Most of the space in the region is occupied by the vast Erebus Nebula. Traversing the densest parts of the nebula at more than 1/4 cruising speed is essentially suicide due to the ionized gasses, particulates and unpredictable kilometer wide asteroids. Conventional sensor technology is completely ineffective at a range of 500 kilometers. Further scientific investigation of the region is anemic, but current theories attribute the formulation of the nebula to trio of supermassive stars that went nova simultaneously.

Show
    The Erebus Nebula is devoid of native life with the exception of a species of voidborn lichen that affix to asteroids, and a tardigrade-like creature found frozen in ice, alive, though dormant. A visitor to the region is likely to only encounter prospecting Celenians, or the pirates preying on miners and cargo ships, as the Republic has thus far failed to pacify the nebula.

Show
    Essentially none. The only object of historical importance is the so called Temple of Erebus -- a kilometer wide deep space station of unknown origin. The station was abandoned possibly millennia prior, and despoiled of anything of value in the time since. The metal etchings that survive seem to depict the creation and apocalypse myths of a lithe mammalian race with elongated skulls and large eyes set on the sides of their heads. The final mural looks to be historically accurate, at least, as it shows the race cowering and then fleeing the three gods/suns as they crumble and explode.

Show
    Gran Jefferson has been appointed governor of the region, but it remains essentially lawless as pirates can operate with impunity from the densest parts of the nebula, undetected except by close sensor sweeps

Show
    None/extinct. The Temple of Erebus (See History) lies abandoned on the outskirts of the nebula.

Show
    Singularity Coal is the only reason anyone braves the hellish region. While stable in a vacuum and micro-gravity environments, the hyper-dense crystals implode in a spectacular fashion when exposed to atmosphere or threshold of gravity waves. Safely contained, and exposed to a controlled release of hydrogen, even a gram of the crystals produce a sustained fission reaction which can be harnessed to power a city or the massive ships of the Republic Navy. Outpost Alpha is the only trading post in the area.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2019-08-21 at 08:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Adjusted version of Region 10 writeup and Region K7 writeup here.

The Aurora System
    Region L10

Show
    Resource: Space Whales [Good]
    1. Inner Belts [GLR]
    2. Outer Belts [vacant]
    Learning Center: Monastery Vault [The One]

Show
    System: Aurora

System Data:

9478 Sausalito
    Type: A7 V White Main Sequence
    Radius: 1.68 x 10^6 km (2.42 x sol)
    Mass: 5.74 x 10^30 kg (2.89 x sol)
    Temp: 8000 K
    Lum: 2.64 x 10^28 W (69.07 x sol)

Melville Belts
    Type: Asteroid Belt
    Orbit Rad: Various (0.5-15 AU)
    Period: Various

A series of large asteroids among many smaller asteroids orbit 9478 Sausalito, among which the Space Whales roam. Though some of the asteroids are quite large, none have formed a significant atmosphere or bear native life aside from the ‘Space Whales’ and a curious void-ivy that grows on the starlight-bathed asteroids, inedible to all but the Whales. A few of the larger Asteroids contain massive arcologies built by the Grays inhabiting the region.

Show
    The Grays are a squat humanoid race with hairless, bulbous heads, beady black eyes, flat noses with ‘slit’ nostrils, and desaturated skin tones. Living in the asteroid Arcologies, the Auroran Grays live in a manner surprisingly similar to spacefaring Geleans, spending much of their time in environment suits and mining asteroids for resources, in addition to farming the native space whales.

Auroran Grays are a psionically adept race, with most untrained individuals possessing limited telepathic abilities and trained individuals being able to establish “Mind-Merges” with other willing espers, a sort of temporary consensual master-slave bond in which the ‘master’ provides various forms of support to the ‘slave’. By Gelean standards, virtually every individual is a low-level Class 1 Esper, though with a striking conformity to their manifestations. A few exceptional individuals possess other abilities, most of which are classified as more powerful Class 1 or Class 5 Espers.

Show
    Prior to Gelean invasion, the Aurora System was governed by a loose network of local Arcology Overseers with disputes mediated by the local presence of the Ascendant Aurora Monastery. To fill the Power gap, the Gelean Parliament quickly established a colonial interim government and began opening new schools and administering citizenship tests, with intent to integrate the locals into the Republic with a new secondary parliament over the next five to ten years.

Show
    It’s The One. They’re a bunch of dirty space hippies.

The deepest portion of the Ascendant Aurora’s Monastery Vault survived the initial assault, though the few souls remaining inside didn’t last long. Though the asteroid it was built on was scoured by radioactive particles, the vault is intact enough to visit with a spacesuit and a few still pilgrimage to the site, though PALADIN peacekeepers keep a stern eye on the area lest someone seek to foment rebellion around such a nucleation point.

Show
    The creatures dubbed Space Whales are massive, ranging in size from offspring the size of personal spaceships to ancient beasts the size of an entire arcology. They primarily feed on local void-flora, though their guts are quite hardy and can digest almost anything. Most of their energy comes from soaking up starlight, and their blubber has an incredible ability to withstand cosmic radiation, comparable to specialized (and much more expensive) nanomaterials designed for that express purpose. In addition to the value of their oil, Space Whale meat is perfectly edible (though fatty) and has a distinctively “chewy” flavor. Though not believed to be intelligent, Space Whales have a psychic presence far beyond common animals and can communicate with their pods (and their handlers) via telepathic song that eavesdropping Espers describe as eerie and psychedelic. The beasts are so large that they cannot be easily fenced or herded, but the Grays specially train herders to use mind-merging to steer them as desired, whether to a new grazing location or to an orbital slaughterhouse. [Category: Fauna]

Brighthollow Expanse
    Region K7
    Show

Resource: Angel Wings [Good]
    1. Morin Valley [GEN]
    2. The Thickets [vacant]
    Learning Center: The Stonespire [Open]

Show

System: Singularity

The system is dominated by a Black Hole which can be observed primarily by light bending around it. Due to ill-understood dimensional phenomena, a portion of its expected Event Horizon is absent, occupied instead at the edge by a planetary system in orbit around it.

System Data:

STAR UNMEASURABLE

While the light in the system suggests the presence of a M-Type Main Sequence Star, no such star is obviously present. The greatest concentration of energy is found at a point located near the planet Welkin and steadily decreases in all directions from that point, like a flashlight shining on a sheet. The star is believed to be located “upweft” of our particular slice of three-dimensional space based upon local descriptions, and orbits the Singularity at a similar rate to Welkin. Planet appears to experience a permanent state of daytime, but this fails to adequately describe the anomaly. Light appears to enter three-dimensional space from all points simultaneously in all directions, including the interiors of objects such as sensors and human eyes.

“Welkin”: Defies many normal categories. Despite overall low intensity of sunlight, carbon-rich atmosphere produces a greenhouse effect that keeps temperature relatively high. Solar radiation intensity is much lower inside planetary atmosphere than outside, suggesting planetary atmosphere extends ‘upweft’ and provides a ‘shadow’. Nevertheless, the planet lacks cold Polar Regions due to the nature of its star, with all regions experiencing levels of sunlight dubbed Hyper-Tropical. Despite a relatively pleasant climate, the hazard posed by solar radiation entering perpendicular to reality blinds human vision and the planet is not suitable for human habitation without specialized cybernetics designed using four-dimensional materials to protect the eyes. Currently, navigation uses specialized beacons, sonar systems, and other sensor systems less reliant on the visible spectrum.

Show
    The creatures dubbed “Stalkers” are tripods, nearly three meters high with long, hairy legs and rotund black bodies with stalk-like eyes sprouting from the tops. The creatures have a rostrum-like mandible at the bottom of their central body and pouches with digestive enzymes located near the first crooks of their two-jointed legs. Stalkers have a large number of surprisingly strong prehensile hairs on each leg, which are used to grip objects and move them along the surface of the body. They also have a limited degree of four-dimensional “thickness” in that new flesh will quickly fill their wounds if injured and their eyes have some protection from the system’s star. Stalkers are so-named because their motions are careful and extremely quiet for beings as large as they are, and they tend to skirt their stalks around on watch for predators. They claim to be able to see “upweft” and “downweft”, a skill that is supposedly key for avoiding Hungry Angels. Stalkers are believed to possess mild psionic potential, though no espers have been discovered among them.

The Angels themselves are bizarre creatures, resembling birds of prey with disturbingly human-like faces in three-dimensional space though the Stalkers describe them as wheels within wheels of wings, too beautiful and horrible to express better than that. They’re apparently capable of traveling slightly upweft to hunt from seemingly impossible angles, and the Stalkers keep careful watch for hungry Angels. Though their bodies cannot withstand sustained fire from Gelean weaponry and they’re not believed to be intelligent, a hungry Angel is still a terrible threat.

Show
    Prior to Gelean occupation, the Stalkers established a Clan structure, and while largely peaceful they would occasionally organize raids against other clan-groups and maintain lookouts against both raids and predators. Post-Gelean-occupation…well, in practice it’s much the same, though Gelean drones patrol the skies and extract resources, and a space station called Grand Geode at the edge of the safety zone ostensibly hosts an Arcology and its Governor.

Show
    The Stonespire is a center of worship and neutral ground for many Stalkers, apparently a high viewing point where the Angels can be seen in their ascent. Aside from viewing the Angels as divine, however, there are few unifying trends in Stalker worship.

Some devotees of the Shadow and Flame, in Accord see the juxtaposition of the unusual star and black hole as a second Source in Gelean Space, and a few dauntless ascetics have even accepted blindness to venture to Welkin and seek deeper understanding there.

Show
    Angel Wings are cast off by the Angels when they perform their ascent into the Singularity, whatever purpose that holds. The wings themselves are three-dimensional projections of much more complex four-dimensional structures. Shaving off any portion of the structure causes material stored outside three-dimensional space to fill the gap, like a collapsing sand castle. Using high-powered presses and molds, it is possible to force Angel Wings into virtually any desired shape such that further ablations will cause extradimensional material to fill the space. [Category: Building Materials]
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2019-08-15 at 01:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the thing.

Spoiler: Region: Dynastinarea O21
    Show
    Dynastinarea is a solitary world with an artificial moon and artificial sun one red and one blue. This planet is mostly covered in scorched barren deserts or harsh arid environs with a few secluded oasis that have been dominated by the ruling magocracy. Giant craters dot the small planets surface, glowing eerily with supernatural green and phosphorescent lights that are visible from orbit, and to many previous Dynast observers in the past have remarked that it looks like the planet itself is bleeding. Vegetation is sparse, mostly available underground where long ancient roots have soaked the nutrients of eons and converted them into small floral drones for protection and limited terraforming of underground tunnels. The Dynast laymen must instead rely predominately on the other insectoid cretins that crawl upon the surface of their homeworld, great lumbering ant like creatures, flying wasps, and moths the size of school buses that plague the Wound Craters of Dynastinarea. Great Ziggurats appear on the planets surface as frequently as the bleeding craters, many of them stationed nearby them in an effort to siphon the raw magical energies that gush forth from the planets primordial core, and some of the most powerful Wizzetrix Lords construct these arcologies in such a way that the pulsing life force of the planets magical leylines actually lift the structures dozens or hundreds of feet into the air in a bold and bombastic display of power (And a not subtle way of ensuring their peasant class is aware that they are literally above the problems of the ungifted). Great storms wrack the planet habitually, though after years of meddling through arcane means no one can be entirely sure how much of it is natural and how much of it stems from cabals of Sorcerer's convening together to vex their foes. Still, these great moving clouds of whipping sand or dark billowing fronts unleashing devastating lightning make certain parts of the planet utterly infeasible to live on to those uneducated in the mystic arts of artifice and protective enchantments. The moon lacks any magical leylines to speak of despite numerous attempts or rituals to uncover them and has mostly been relegated to an abandoned wasteland or a zone of exile for those too important to be killed but too disgraced to continue working within the great arcane workshops of Dynastinarea.

Show
    The Dynast, as they call themselves, are a race of Rhinocerous Beetle looking creatures ranging from 5 to 6 feet tall and weighing hundreds of pounds. Their great horns are deadly weapons to be sure but far deadlier are the runes they paint (Or in some particularly fanatical or repentant examples carve) upon their bodies which grant them a host of magical tricks and defenses beyond the safety of their tank like shells. They possess muscles capable of moving small cars but lack any desire to do so for they are masters of magic and mystery all. Most of them bear dark colors on their shells but a contingent of their population have a variety of colored or even spotted/patterned shells that emulate many other Earthborne beetle species. They communicate predominately through the use of these paintings on their form, using them to indicate status, mood, clan, and even if one is looking for a mate during the Thundering Seasons. A majority of their population involve themselves in the art of studying the leylines of their home, feeling the ebb and flow of magic as it moves through the various creatures born on its surface, and soaking the strange yet empowering rays of their self claimed "Gift Sun". Those who reject the path of the mystic or are too dull witted are forced to live a harsh and simple life on the surface of the planet, protected by their magical rulers, and mostly ignorant of the intense sorcerous politicking that transpires within the vaunted arcologies of yore. Every Wizzetrix and Sorcerer worth their shell looks to one day create their own unique artifice that will spark further practicioners to create copies and indeed the highest honor one could consider in their culture is to have someone else attempt to steal or otherwise implant themselves into your identity for creating such a useful or powerful tool. No other Wizzetrix has matched the overall utility of the Lightning Wand, which has fascinated the Dynasts for generations, and manipulated in countless unseen ways both to better the population and create periods of intense internal strife.

Show
    The Dynast people have an origin shrouded in allegory and spoken tale, a great Wizzetrix Prime who could move stars, and graced our world with a moon and sun before leaving us with knowledge of mystical art. Then a series of vying Dynast's manipulating these gifts into new and devastating techniques or creations. Finally, there came a Wizzetrix Lord grand enough and wise enough to otherwise gain fealty from all other Arcology owners through the creation of the Lightning Wand. A weapon of great power but also great potential. Manipulating the storms of their homeworld, creating moisture rich oasis for pleasure, and simply venting raw electrified power on the huddled masses laid bare to the many Wizzetrix's of the world. And that Lord who created the Wand was Lord Tybel. Or so he claimed and perpetuated as many good Dynast's are want to do when presented with a grand idea. That was until the day he died at the hands of the Speaker Zel-Dara.

Show
    Until recently when the Eye of the Horizon came upon this world and brought it unto the fold of their council the Dynast people operated under a loose feudal magocracy. Many Wizzetrix Lords or Supreme Sorcerer's would manipulate a series of lesser magus through the dispensation of magical tools of artifice and wonder with which to shepherd the rest of the populace. The Tempest was Lord Tybel's arcology ziggurat and forge for his many Lightning Wands with which he claimed fealty from a kingdom of sorcerers. This great pyramid was stationed directly over one of the brightest and most active wounds upon the surface of the world utilizing the flaring magic beneath to propel it towering with the clouds.

Show
    None. Magical power is the only influencer in the minds of the Dynast. The Tempest (See Government) is the greatest concentration of well regarded minds on the world and manipulators of Magical Power and operates as a sort of hub of political identity.

Show
    Lightning Wands are the most common magical tool used on the planet and for good reason. They are a great conduit of mystical energy and manipulating the forces that flow throughout the universe. The Tempest is the greatest producer of them but other arcologies previously under Wizzetrix Lord Tybel's control also produced them for dispensation to supplicants.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

25. - Top - End - #145

Write ups of self inflicted torment for thine perusal.

Spoiler: The Emjata System - L20
    Show

The discovery of thriving life in the star system came as something of a surprise to the Svaatyrn, and even the Nine acknowledged that it wouldn't have been their first guess. After all, when all mathematical projections pointed to the system's exo-star as having been caught in a wide orbit around the primary only a few thousand years ago, most would have expected any life that had been present to have long since burned away.

According to local legend, the planet was once home to dozens of intelligent races, and was of a decidedly alpine bent. Most did not survive the coming of the dragon star, as the locals called it. The 'Ridx, however, proved more resilient that most. They endured the warming, along with the hardiest specimens of the world's flora and fauna, much of which ran rampant in the vast swathes of planet that was now theirs and theirs alone. Hot, humid, and having not seen a dark sky in thousands of years, much of the planet was now overrun by teeming jungles, thick with plants only slightly less unkillable than the beasts that stalked them. Much of the planet even now remains wild and uninhabited, though other swathes have been brought under a semblance of control.

Show

The 'Ridx are at present the only remaining sapient species on the planet. Rumours never truly quell of another race surviving deep beneath the oceans, but no contact has been had with this hypothetical species in thousands of years, so most consider them an urban legend at best. The 'Ridx themselves are naturally tall and powerfully built, with horns and a partial black scaled exoskeleton made of the same incredibly hard material as their bones (early studies imply them to be made of a naturally occurring superstructure), and little to no sexual dimorphism. Early contact in fact mistook them for a genderless race, though further clarification proved that they were at least divided reproductively. Svaatyrn scientists remain in argument if the egg laying 'Ridx are reptiles or mammals.

Carnivorous, the 'Ridx have a strong hunting tradition, strengthened over the years by the rampant ecological arms race of the planet's fauna. They do, however, also have a surprisingly adept agricultural tradition, albeit one that would seem chaotic and arcane to an outside observer - 'Ridx cultivators have long mastered the blending of the wild and tame. Indeed, the distinction between their cities and the surrounding jungles is often academic at best - living trees and vines are as much a part of the construction as stone, wood, wax and resin. They have a vast catalogue of experience and knowledge with the planet's flora and fauna, and an ability to mix their components to ends that seem almost magical.

Show

Emjata's government is best described as a loose coalition of clans, a thousand monarchs who sometimes agree on what to do. The manner of choosing the clan head varies from clan to clan, usually based on whatever trait that clan finds most desirable. Though stable, each region mostly keeps to itself, limiting the effects the people have on a macro scale. Early Svaatyrn reports state that this is dumb and should be fixed as soon as possible, immediately before their woefully lacking education system, and after their language which is unspeakable by anyone without an indestructible throat.

Show

Apparently, for many years the locals worshipped the dragon star, some out of appeasement, and some out of a belief that it had chosen them as rulers of the world. This persisted for some time, until the sisters of silence arrived. Apparently, the trajectory of an errant star so close to their vigil was of mild concern to them, and they took steps to stabilise the orbit such that it didn't leave again or draw closer. Svaatyrn experts almost all conclude this is unlikely propaganda designed to give them an excuse to spread their so called faith, and should be disregarded as wilful disinformation.

Show

The Dejan Mustard is perhaps the most prolific plant on the planet. Able to grow in even the most adverse of conditions (reports have been confirmed of it thriving even on barren rock and underwater), it was so named for its ability to both conquer any environment, and its most common distinctive yellow colour, though it has at least a half dozen other names, including mongrelvine, fleshfruit and waxblood. The plant breeds via the pollen of other plants rather than produce its own, so no two vines are truly alike, but all have some common traits - when cut, they produce a thick, waxy sap that makes a resilient building material, and the production of fruit with a high enough protein content to provide nutritional value even to carnivores.

Spoiler: The Voxesier System - J20
    Show

Svaatyrn explorers were confused, to say the least, upon discovering Voxesier. Not so much for the system itself, which was an utterly normal single star system with a number of planets orbiting it. The confusion came when they discovered it another seven times. Maps were checked and double checked, and they were definitely all in different locations. They all even shared the same species, though they showed social and physical variations.

Initial studies showed that, traced far back enough, the local history eventually hit a point where they all converged to the same, approximately four thousand years prior. The Nine, when queried, confirmed that seven new stars had appeared in the sky at that time. None of the planets had any knowledge of each other - whatever had occurred remained a mystery.

Since then, however, all eight planets (or reflections, as some Svaatyrn were keen to push), have developed in greatly different directions, with almost no cultural relationship to one another.

Show

The Vox on all planets are four armed, with dark leathery skin, along with some form of horns. Having learned from previous mistakes, Svaatyrn explorers looked very hard for gender differences, and were somewhat put out to discover the Vox actually were genderless - reproduction occurs via a process that could only, begrudgingly, be called magic, involving the simultaneous mixing and reversion of multiple creatures' time streams to create a new, separate being, though the exact number of parents appeared to be able to vary from anywhere between one and five. Most variants also exhibit supernatural abilities beyond that, leading scholars to posit that they may in fact be four dimensional beings - their unique method of reproduction also seems to allow more rapid evolution than normal.

Individual strains and planets were named by Svaatyr - early arguments (and threats of war) over which was the 'real' Voxesier showed leaving it to them was a poor choice.

Show

Voxesier as a system is crossed by twisting red lanes, natural trackways that allow speeds exceeding even GLD, but only within their confines. Manipulable to a degree, but otherwise irremovable, the combination or their seeming indestructibility and the sensation given to those riding them gave them the ridiculous but unfortunately stuck name of Unbreakable Twizzlers.

Though initially mistaken for some form of road network, joining the systems directly with apparent purpose, they were mistakable as a remnant of some fallen empire. Further study, however, implies that them to may well be tangles in the very fabric of space and time, a remnant of the event that split the planet into eight.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Tyrn
    Show

Upon Voxesier-Tyrn, the empire that stood at the point of divergence, miraculously, never fell. Even after ten thousand years, the highly traditional Vox-Tyrn remain, at least culturally, much as they always were. The empire has fractured and warred with itself countless times, but has always recongealed, enduring all ambition and technological progress. The second closest to space flight, their military technology in particular is quite advanced for a pre-space flight people.

Show

The Vox-Tyrn are the most physically imposing of the Vox, all breaching eight foot tall and built for battle. Their skin hews more towards red, and their horns are large enough to be used as weapons.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Veenir
    Show

At some point in their history, the Vox-Veenir came upon the idea to meld their innate sorcery with technology, leading to a revolution that caused them to far outstrip their cousins technologically. Though still contained to their own solar system, the Vox-Veenir have taken the first steps into space, with skies teeming with man made satellites. Much of the planet is covered in towering, packed cities, reliant heavily on technology for survival.

Show

The Vox-veenir are one of the smaller strains, skin black or close to, but with natural neon edging to their horns, with hair colour that matches. They tend towards the most extreme fashion choices, and, on average, are the most intelligent strain by a slight margin.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Sadoor
    Show

The land of Voxesier-Sadoor is one of many faces - tranquil and spiritual on the surface, it is a nest of vipers and espionage. The masks commonly worn by the populace hide thier faces, but expose their natures, and it is one of the most mystical of the planets - many of the Vox-Sadoor exhibit abilities that enhance stealth, such as shadow manipulation and bluring one’s own passage through time.

Show

The Vox-Sadoor are lithe and slender, the most agile of the strains, and possessed of a motled gray skin that shows not in the shadows beneath the moon, along with pupilless eyes.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Biityo
    Show

Though apparently the world’s history was incredibly bloody, approximately a thousand years prior the Vox-Biityo achieved world peace. Surprisingly, they didn’t change their minds immediately after, and Voxesier-Biityo is now a tranquil land where the most challenging thing to deal with is navigating the locals’ impossibly complicated love lives, mostly taking place in an untold number of independent eateries, bakeries, and coffee shops.

Show
    The Vox-Biityo have skin that tends towards the lighter shades of gray, somewhat larger than average eyes, and an utter lack of supernatural abilities beyond being able to reproduce. Clothing tends towards the soft and comfortable, with sweaters in particular doing a brisk trade.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Fasel
    Show

Voxesier-Fasel is unique in that the tangles of space usually constrained to the skies reach the planet below. The locals took to using them as racetracks, building their entire culture around who could go the fastest. Rulership is determined by the winner of the five-yearly grand prix, with a caste system based around racers, support crew, and the spectators who provide for societies more practical needs. Despite still being planet bound, their vehicle technology is excellent, with a responsiveness impressive even to Svaatyr.

Show
    The Vox-Fasel are the smallest strain, light with a sleek, streamlined appearance. They possess a single eye that stretches round the entire face, covered in a hard lens, more akin to a visor than a traditional eye. Their reflexes are incredibly fast - most of the racer caste exhibit the ability to slow their perception of time, and they prove to have a high resistance to the effects of g-force.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Maagrn
    Show

Unusually sparsely populated, Voxesier-Maagrn it a scarred planet. The people possess some of the most potent natural gifts of all the Vox, and a propensity for using them in highly destructive wars of dominance. Ruled by various mage lords, most of the populace live in fear of the next inevitable conflict that they will be drafted into over petty territorial squabbles, which will almost certainly raze the desired prize to the ground. Warlords of power enough to pose a problem are rare, but cause more than enough devestation to make up for thier low numbers - those of that level of power rarely produce offspring, so as not to produce competetion for themselves.

Show

The Vox-Maagrn are visually striking, their jet black skin covered with golden tattoo-like markings that glow with their own light. The more powerful the individual, the more markings they possess, though all have at least some.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Srtyrr
    Show
    Voxesier-Srtyrr is, on the whole, a lawless place. Pockets of order are held, but only by the wills, guns and blades of the few brave souls willing to maintain them. Away from the protection of a sherrif, might makes right, and victory goes to the fastest trigger finger. Steam powered trains cross seemingly endless plains crisscrossed with the tracks of farmers and herdsmen, away from the cities whose governments have long been destroyed and replaced by criminal gangs.

Show
    Though possessed of no noteworthy traits of appearance in relation to the other Vox, the Vox-Srtyrr are possessed of keen eyesight, and the ability to always ascertain their own point in time - helpful for navigation and determining high noon.

Spoiler: Voxesier-Laneed
    Show
    A devastated world, though Voxesier-laneed once shared the same geography as its brethren, at some point in the world’s past the planet’s ice caps melted in their entirety, reducing the landmass to around a quarter of what it once was, at a rapid pace. With nations shattered, many were forced to take to the seas, and squabbles over resources and the remaining land became common. Leadership belongs to those with the power to hold onto their gains, and many survive only by falling into line behind them. Of the worlds, Voxesier-laneed is perhaps the most technologically backwards, contested only by Voxesier-Maagrn, lacking the spare resources for experimentation on any large scale, even if minor incremental improvements still occur. Regardless, their vessels have yet to even claim the skies, let alone the stars.

Show
    The Vox-Laneed’s skin is more shark like than leathery, usually found in muted hues of blue, though sometimes stepping into green or grey, and with subtle webbing between the digits of the hands and feet. Though not truly amphibious, most possess a prodigous lung capacity, ranging from several minutes at the most basic, to hours of heavy exertion in a single breath for the most impressive specimens. Some theories suggest their lungs may in fact be partially extra-dimensional.

26. - Top - End - #146

The Tomb Worlds (E5)

Spoiler: Stellar Cartography
    Show

A blue giant is the only notable solar system in this sector. The giant blue-hot star hosts three desert worlds in its orbit each sharing an orbital path but spaced equilateral around the sun moving unnaturally at perfectly matched speeds. UPT scientists believe the solar system to be artificially created, or more accurately, artificially curated by some long past stellar empire. The three planets, whose names have been translated as Misr, Kimt, and Ra, were not exact duplicates in that they each were engraved with their own unique pattern of Geo-Glyphs but in size, mass, rotation, and almost every other geographic and stellar quality they matched perfectly.

Each of the three desert worlds are completely covered in arcane symbols great and small as well as hieroglyphs both warnings and mythical histories. The worlds were primarily vast tomb worlds riddled with catacombs and tombs but tunnels and glyphs, many of which could only have been designed by a space-capable power, crisscrossed the planets utilizing some necrotic arcanology to fuel an ongoing process of raising the dead as mindless drones. The level of detail as well as the planets shared characteristics orbiting an unusual blue giant star leads UPT to conclude a stellar power with a capable understanding of some form of magic placed these planets here before vanishing or abandoning their work for unknown reasons.

Spoiler: Populace
    Show

The living population of the system is rather negligible as UPT colonists are few and far between with the desert worlds being treated as a resource in space rather than viable new worlds to populate. The dead and undead population on the other hand numbers in the tens of billions. With three earth-size tomb worlds packed full of mummified aliens taken from across the nearby galaxy there was no shortage of bodies in the region. Archaeological surveys have revealed Tal-Amanyn, Gray and human seeming mummies sequestered within the tombs and a number of unidentified aliens besides. Hieroglyphics suggest different burial and resurrection traditions held different social value within whatever necromancer power had once reigned over these worlds as there were both apparent kings or other people of note preserved in tombs alongside treasure troves as well as mass pits seemingly set aside for criminals or slaves as some means of punishment.

Show

Misr, Kimt, and Ra appear to have been both the names of the planets as well as either the creators or gods associated with them. It remains unclear according to the Symbraum who have begun studying the tomb worlds whether these were actual practitioners of the arcane responsible individually for the crafting of one of three worlds or mythic god-like figures in whose name the worlds were dedicated. They appear intended to cooperate however as the Geo-Glyphs of the world's appear to be capable of interacting and triggering reactions offworld from the initial trigger.

UPT has managed to, since their initial contact with the planet and the overwhelming of the survey team by a horde undead of mummies, develop a greater but still highly lacking understanding of the arcane principles which govern the tomb worlds. The Symbraum have managed to understand and avoid the majority of trap glyphs as well as gain control over the ability to create and control mummies created through the manipulation of arcane runes planetside. While these are great feats which allow UPT access to more of their secrets the full functions of the geo-glyphs remain unknown as does the history and original purpose of the worlds. Many Symbraum find the arcane works intriguing while an equal number find the idea of manipulating brainless flesh a nauseating proposition. Requests for additional funding in the years since the annexation concluded have tended to languish in committees as debates over morality rage.

Show

The undead produced by the tomb worlds are not intelligent and with many Symbraum back in the homeworlds already conflicted over the adoption of Kamasati ideology out here on the frontier among the dead and living dead of so many species the notion of a standard ideology is one of the first things to go.

Great Pyramid of Ra (Open): A massive stone pyramid exists on the surface of Ra visible even from orbit. Its interior has been cleared of traps and undead and acts as a sort of central arrival point and largest "settlement" in the sector.

Show

Through arcane means that continue to function despite the absence of their creators the tomb worlds produce Alien Mummies animating the lifeless bodies of any species under the control of whomsoever wields their associated talisman. Mummies can be raised in groups with a single talisman controlling dozens, hundreds, or even thousands or individually assigned one talisman, one mummy. Currently the UPT believes with proper instruction these mummies can serve the galaxy as drones but without the need for advanced robotics to simulate the mobility and flexibility of an organic form.

Great Pyramid of Ra - Open
    Deep Tomb of Kimt - Open
    Three Pyramids of Misr - Open

Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #147

The Puot System V22

Show
    Puot is a region filled with asteroids and comets and other space rubble. While there are multiple planets capable of supporting life, none have anything more complex than a cell. The exception is Puot, a verdent, lush and temperate planet in places, found as the second planet next to a yellow star. Puot is a wasteland at the poles with snow and ice. Deserts and blasted lands take up a large amount of the rest. However, spread evenly apart are circular walled off biomes where plant life flourishes, and the majority of animals live. These bimoes all have a radius of 4352 metres exactly, and also appear in the oceans, although these are less effective. An explorer walking across the planet might notice a few bricks or sheets of metal, albeit few of these exist now.

Show
    The People of Puot are the Tumblers. Highly advanced and specialised thinking machines who have a great ability to analyze biological samples and synthesie their DNA. There are multiple tiers of Tumblers, from the Biotumblers, the most specialised and least autonomous number, to the messangers and minor thinkers, who operate drones to ensure the biomes remain stable. With the exception of the messangers, all Tumblers are metal boxes unable move without outside aid. They can operate machinery and drones, but are bound to their box. The messangers have adaptable bodies allowing them to move between Biomes and share research and findings in areas where reception is unreliable. The Tumblers are barely thinking beings, being utterly bound to their coding and rules, although they are perfectly able to integrate any new knowledge they obtain. Very rarely is a new Tumbler created, as very little is there to damage them, although every so often it is decided a new one neds to be produced to stay within their set rules.

This is all before the arrival of the Duenem.

With the arrival of the Duenem, and the integration of the two, the Tumblers have become far more autonomous. The messangers have changed little in body, but a lot in mind, digesting new knowledge quickly. The majority of the rest very quickly requested locomotion, and a number wished to travel to other planets to find more about the xenolife there. The only ones to change little are the Biotumblers themselves, as it was found that they were so specialised no change could be made physically, with the Duenem getting little more than a 'thank you.'

Show
    A very very long time ago, a species ruled the space above the planet, and named it 'Puot,' which meant 'testing ground' in their language. Puot was utterly barren, with only the barest atmosphere, so they made the Tumblers to change that. With the most basic of DNA, the species set the Tumblers to build up biomes and document the results they found. With that done, the speices left, with the Tumblers the caretakers of the planet ever since.

This is all the Tumblers have on their past, from records and ground testing over a thousand years, which might have been far longer. They do not know who the species was, why they left or why they never returned. Some speculate that the many rocks in the system might be the result of a war, others that the species was trying to attempt to test the Tumblers AI themselves.

Show
    The easiest way to describe the Tumbler government is immortal feudal states. Each Biome is led by a Biotumbler, with a number of other Tumblers performing all tasks for it below its calculations. Each Biome has a set number of inhabitants, with a role it has been assigned since creation. Mesangers are the only beings that can change Biome, but usually change between only two constantly, with many waiting years to even be used. If there is a dispute between two biomes, each Biotumbler will communicate to analyze their criteria together. This usually works, but in cases it doesn't, the one with the larger Biome is decided to have the better claim. As all Biomes are exactly the same size, this leaves the debate in deadlock indefinetly until a leaf falls on the edge of a wall, slightly extending one Biome until it is removed.

Now that the Tumblers are more autonomous, there are beginning to be attempts at changing roles, with many wishing to become messangers. Similarly, Biomes are beginning to expand, partly as a task to focus on, partly to win disputes. Luckily, the Biome system integrates well into the Duenem task system, meaning there is little change in government style, for now.

Show
    While the majority of Biotumblers wish to continue their works, there are some which had their biomes destroyed due to freak accidents, and a few who feel they would be of more use elsewhere. Therefore, as long as some compensation was given to a Biome, they would be happy to give their work to others.
    Biomtumblers-Skilled Beings
    TP1 [OPEN]
    TP2 [OPEN]
    TP3 [OPEN]

Show
    The Tumblers have been restrained AI for almost all of their existance, so the idea of differing ways of thinking is new in itself. While a few Duenem sympathetic to the Church of Rust have said a few words about it, nothing has really caught on yet. This may be due to them not having anywhere considered significant to their culture on the planet, aside from the planet itself.
    Puot [OPEN]
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

A declaration of war reposted here so no one misses it:

The Conclave of the Black Sun, the Supreme Courts of Amanyk and the Viceroy acting in the stead of the Undying Sovereign do hereby declare in concordance that an unfortunate escalation of hostilities has become necessary and that a state of war does hereby exist between Amanyk and Melfynus due to the latter's unprovoked attack upon those under the protection of the Conclave and the Aegis of the Undying Sovereign and their militant interference with the peaceful actions of the Conclave's representatives.
    Though regrettable, this action is necessary in order to protect the inhabitants of the Spatial Region designated F10 in The Guardian's catalogue, to ensure the repatriation of any and all Tal-Amanyn remains present entombed within derelict hulks within the aforementioned Spatial Region, to ensure the recovery of the Conclave's treasure and finally in defence of the Undying Sovereignty of Her Glorious and Most Eternal Majesty Narisa Velrey-Aman.
    So sayeth the Conclave as One. So sayeth the Supreme Justices in Accord. So sayeth the Viceroy for the Sovereign.
    So sayeth Amanyk.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello Empire players! August podcast is up! We discuss Organizations and NPC's and play How Do You Pronounce That featuring Lapis, The GM Team, Aed and Kjel! Hope you enjoy! <3
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2019-08-18 at 03:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

30. - Top - End - #150

I can confirm that my name is pronounced as though the j were a y (Its sweedish in origin). Voxesier-Maagrn on the other hand would be vox-es-ee-er mag-urn. (The a in the mag is held long)

Also the urn is a lie, its actually [purring noise]n, but human throats and all that. This is true of most of my rs, except in Voxesier, because that name comes from the locals, not me. I might not have written a full language this time, but I do still have a sheet of basic principles for the purposes of naming.

I'm surprised you went with that one though. I can see at least three worse in that post alone. Srtyrr is probably the worst offender, but that's just Sur-churr.

...anyone who was here for E4 knows getting me talking about language is a terrible unending idea.