The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE5! - CWBG - Now in Galactic Size

Region reviews!

@Ivor - Give me a name for the People of Winbig. Winbiggers? Bingosians? Figure that out, and you are APPROVED.

@kaio - your write up's declaration regarding the use of the Sonic Hedgehogs as a TP makes me both reluctant and excited. Resources are meant to be used, but if the Kamasati interpretation is "no one can buy from here without hostility" then I look forward to the reactions that occur. Other than possibly considering clarifying that IC reaction, this *cough* totally original do-not-steal OC *cough* is APPROVED.

@Nef - Erebus is APPROVED. Feels a little on the light side in terms of writing, but it passes the sniff test I also do look forward to being able to use the Temple of Erebus for my own nefarious deeds.

@Blade - The Aurora System is APPROVED. Brighthollow Expanse is interesting. The Hungry Angels being "birds of prey" is neat. I'm not sure how I feel about the Angel Wings being a building material. I get the concept; they are from a weird black-hole circling planet that has perhaps an extra scientific dimension to it, I just don't currently see how something called Angel Wings could be used in construction. Can you elaborate on that please?

@Tychris - Dynastinarea has... an artificial moon and sun? That's neat. I see it's mentioned in the History section that it was some great Wizzetrix Prime who created it (or moved it into place). I can work with that. APPROVED.

@Kjel - Do you really want to bring the 'Ridx back into the game? I'll allow it, I just want you to be sure that you want this. Also, just to be clear, Dejan Mustard is a Food and Building Material?

Answer those questions, and the Emjata System is APPROVED.

The Voxesier System, on the other hand, is a brilliant representation of clever writing. I love it, eight times over, as is appropriate. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED. APPROVED.

I would, however, like to see a Government section to it; perhaps not one for each Vox, but something that details a little bit of how the Svaatyrn are handling governing what is effectively eight planets in one. It's not a big deal, but it would be helpful to think about.

@Reggie The Tomb Worlds sounds like the name of a video game or some 90s cartoon, but I certainly don't have a problem with that. I would like you to clarify if the Alien Mummies are considered 'Skilled Beings', 'Arcana', or both? (Or neither, and you've got some other resource category in mind, even one not on the suggested list) Otherwise, it's APPROVED..

@Tentreto Couple typos here and there, but nothing egregious. I keep thinking of "Tumblr" the website alot, but other than my own weird brain making connections that don't matter, Puot System is APPROVED.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    Region reviews!

@Blade - I'm not sure how I feel about the Angel Wings being a building material. I get the concept; they are from a weird black-hole circling planet that has perhaps an extra scientific dimension to it, I just don't currently see how something called Angel Wings could be used in construction. Can you elaborate on that please?
    From the resource description...

Angel Wings are cast off by the Angels when they perform their ascent into the Singularity, whatever purpose that holds. The wings themselves are three-dimensional projections of much more complex four-dimensional structures. Shaving off any portion of the structure causes material stored outside three-dimensional space to fill the gap, like a collapsing sand castle. Using high-powered presses and molds, it is possible to force Angel Wings into virtually any desired shape such that further ablations will cause extradimensional material to fill the space. [Category: Building Materials]
    So basically if you put it in a sufficiently tight garbage compactor, you can force the wing-material into desirable shapes, with additional material located outside three-dimensional reality that fills in if damaged. So you can turn them into blocks that will "regenerate" if you shave part off. You now have a full block and a shaved layer. Repeat. You now have a full block and several shaved layers. Glue them together with a binding material. You now have extradimensional particle board, basically. Eventually it'll run out of material as the 4D thickness thins, but it stores rather a lot more than it appears to. I didn't write all this out because typically we aren't expected to delineate the industrial processes behind our resources, just to say what they are and what they do.

I actually had in mind that the natives used them as currency because they could shave off a known amount and carry them as "wallets", and since the natives can observe the four-dimensional phenomena, they can actually tell how much is left.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2019-08-19 at 02:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Hello Empire players! August podcast is up! We discuss Organizations and NPC's and play How Do You Pronounce That featuring Lapis, The GM Team, Aed and Kjel! Hope you enjoy! <3
    Hooray!

Daregense is a name I'm not wholly confident of pronouncing myself, but it's something like "darag-ensa". She is so far the only character of mine whose name isn't randomly generated (I came up with some tables before the start of the game) but is named for an Iain M Banks character.

Like (I think?) Lleban I had assumed that the An'null were named as in "annulment", which seemed appropriate. The, er, alternative pronunciation never occurred to me.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-08-20 at 05:27 PM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

D28 Monks of Pure Thought

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The Monks of Pure Thought, are the main resident of this unnamed system surrounding a blue giant star. The Planets of this system are more clusters of small smooth moon like spheres ranging from the size of a golf ball to the size of earth's moon. Due to the lack of gravity the monks use their mind magic to move throughout their planets. Monks live in monasteries located on the larger planets and often go out to meditate on smaller orbs usually the size of those exercise ball thingies. The orbs are normally shades of gold, marble, or grey and emit a pale blue light.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    Long ago a man sat under the stars deep in thought for 100 years. During those 100 years he explored and searched every corner of his mind. When he was done he could use his imagination to shape the universe. He believed he should share this gift with the universe. He thought that if more could see the truth in the universe that people would finally be at peace. He began by writing a book “The Tome of Thought” and gathering a few individuals and began his teaching. Eventually he passed leaving his book as his last teaching in hopes that someone else may one day fully unlock the potential of the mind. Ever since what started as a dozen individuals meditating in an asteroid belt became a thousand, then a million, and asteroids became orbs. Shaped through mind their civilization thrived.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The Monks of Pure Thought are a tall slender humanoid race with grey-blue skin. The mostly wear long plain grey robes except for the abbot whose robe is pale blue with 15 white circles in the center on the front and back. They have longer fingers than most races and their hands are surprisingly strong, due to the building of thought engines, as opposed to their bodies which are slim and fragile due to lack of physical contact with most objects. They tend to just float around in between their orbs using their minds to propel themselves. They need very little sustenance and almost no material needs except what is required for training and constructing thought engines. Other food and small amounts of other matter can be crafted through meditation for individual needs. Thought monks may seem peaceful and easy to beat in combat but the true powers of their minds are far beyond what most think.

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    They are a peaceful and simple race with a unified understanding of life. Rules are created and kept by the Attuned One, an abbot who has unlocked 100% of their brain power. He controls the abbots of each monistairy and the abbot is in charge of the other monks. Most of their laws are held in a sacred book written by 老子 The god of inner wisdom long long ago.

Spoiler: Recource
    Show
    Thought engines. (Fuel) [Minor]
    Thought engines are the main source of income for this meditative community. With no other way to produce money to use with the outside world, the monks create thought engines, imbuing the same hard learned discipline and energy into the machines to achieve record speeds.
    TP1: Crystal Pond

Spoiler: Philosophy
    Show
    The thought monks are highly disciplined and follow the Philosophy of “Pure Thought” which is a belief which revolves around tapping into the pure and unimaginable power of the mind and imagination. They believe that when one can tap into the full potential of their mind one can shape the universe.
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2019-08-22 at 07:18 PM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

Just a reminder from the GM Team, the round closes in less than four days and the following people have not yet made IC Posts:

Wizard_Lizard
    SOSDarkPhoenix

The following players have posted but are missing either actions or rolls on their posts:

Nefarion Xid Missing rolls
    Minescratcher Missing actions and rolls
    Tentreto Missing actions
    Tychris Missing rolls
    RolePGeek Missing rolls
    Lleban Missing actions and rolls
    Miltonian Missing actions
    omnitricks Missing actions
    Aedilred Missing actions
    Corona Missing rolls (rolls made but not in IC post)
    KriegTiger Missing actions
    Last edited by Moriko; 2019-08-22 at 10:45 AM.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: The Reeds System
    Show

TERRAIN:
    The region of Reeds is a primitive system containing fourl habitable planets, but no space travel as of yet. Well, it didn’t until the Lyraens rolled into town.

Reeds I is a tropical world with a wide band of desert around the equator, where it is far too hot for life to live and thrive. Two independently evolved races live there, the leonine people in the Northern Hemisphere and an insectoid people in the Southern. A few, closely guarded trade routes exist that cross the desert, but for the most part, few people have seen the other side of their world.

Reeds II, on the other hand, is locked in a permanent Ice Age due to a persistent storm that circles the planet and keep temperatures from ever rising above 10 degrees Celsius. As a result, life here is scarce and hard to come by, though some primitive, arthropod-like tribes live in underground colonies around volcanic vents.

Reeds III is a paradise world covered mostly in water. Islands both large and small dot the surface, however, and support a large population of sea-faring civilization of avian people, whose boats serve more as artificial resting areas for travellers than true transports.

Reeds IV, the farthest from the sun, was shattered in some great cataclysm, but a hollowed-out shell of the planet remains intact, surrounded by a cocoon of asteroids from its former core. The inhabitants there, a small, marsupial race, live in a tightly-controlled economy, rationing each resource and praying that the power that has preserved them so far will continue to do so until they can figure out a way to leave.

PEOPLE
    The peoples of the Reeds system are very diverse in biology and culture, though they are united in their service to ‘the King’, ‘the Sage’, or ‘the Teacher’, different names that refer to the same person, the King of Reeds. Under his guidance, each culture has advanced in a much more peaceful and harmonious manner than what one would expect. Their cultures, though distinct, mirror each other in many ways. Each is what some would call a utopia, fostered and guided by the gentle hand of the King of Reeds.

CULTURE
    The various peoples of Reeds are in what some might call an ‘ideal’ state. Violence is almost unknown to them, but the art of psychology is very advanced. They are experts at identifying and dealing with emotions and behaviors that could become problems for themselves or for others later on down the road.

This is, in fact, a small part of the larger emphasis their society puts on preventative care. They are proactive in searching for problems and addressing them before they cause harm, rather than redressing them after the damage is irreparable.

GOVERNMENT
    Each race governs itself in their own way, though all do so under the guidance of the King of Reeds. He is the ultimate authority, though he rarely exercises it. That authority, however, does not come from exercises of sheer power or lording the scale of his greatness over them, but from the long tradition of wisdom and good teaching he has handed down to each race, safeguarding those who listen and letting those that don’t experience the full nature of their folly.

RESOURCE
    “Miracle” Flowers: (Drugs and Medicines) Though not called such by the locals, preliminary tests by the Lyraen scholars have led to the label. The specific type of flowers grown only in the Reeds System have so many different medical properties that they are pretty much a wonder drug. Further testing is still required.

PHILOSOPHY
    The locals follow the teachings of the King of Reeds, but there are many things beyond the wisdom he has revealed to them that other modes of thought could try to fill in. Who knows what effect that would have on an otherwise harmonious society...

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

New region 2 of 2.

Spoiler: Region: Haethalia R28
    Show
    The region is altogether free of stellar curiosities but for one pulsar that renders nearly a tenth of the space uninhabitable unless you happen to be a species of radiation resistant chemosynthetic bacteria.

Haethal, the star system of real interest, is a fairly standard assortment with four inner rocky worlds, four outer gas giants, and a number of rocky dwarf planets beyond. The third world is habitable and a virtual paradise for Terran physiology, though lacking in biodiversity, conspicuously lacking the expected variety of megafuana and predator species. Preliminary surveys place the blame on mass extinctions caused by a geologically brief spike in greenhouse gasses. Surviving records are sparse, but hint that a human colony may have formed here as an experiment in the philosophical principles of Egoism. The crumbling landscape paints a bleak tableau of polluted, overpopulated urban hellscape, not dissimilar to Droccen. Microplastics are still omnipresent and can be found in trace amounts in all surface water and animal tissue. The planet's climate seems to have recovered (some six thousand years later), having sequestered a critical amount of CO2 in biomass. Most of the world is covered in virgin forests.

Show
    The surviving human population of Haethal III live in disparate tribes spread mostly across the northern hemisphere, hundreds of generations removed from the original colonists and the collapse of their civilization. Humans are the only intelligent species in the region, although otters have begun to make stone tools. The pinnacle of human achievement thus far is the bronze spearhead, the chariot, and the receipt of sale as painstakingly printed into clay tablets. Otters have also been observed scratching pictographs into rock faces, but their written language, such as it is, consists mostly of communicating where shellfish are plentiful. They have also been observed practicing deceit in telling other otters where shellfish are plentiful.

The human inhabitants have been welcomed back into the fold as Celenian scions and have begun reintegrating into the culture on a voluntary basis.

Show
    See above. The inhabited world of Haethal III hosts only an emerging Bronze Age society of humans that survived some near apocalyptic climate crisis. Records from the original colonists are sparse, but do exist in English, further indicating the colony to have an ancient Celenian origin (or at least the human predecessors to the Celenian civilization). Extant languages are a nearly incomprehensible pidgin, exciting no one except Dr. David Stradford. Modern written records almost always related to the sale of grain, livestock, and bronze. Oral traditions are rich and varied with at least seven distant cultures sharing a semi-creation myth about a global flood and rampant wildfires.

Show
    Linda DeGrant has been appointed governor of the region, a position which requires little interaction with the "native" inhabitants beyond buying out land occupied by people settled too close to lucrative mining sites. Tribal or fledgling city state governments are diverse and the minutiae of their operations do not concern the Republic.

Show
    Varied. The human inhabitants have sundry local gods and no unifying religion or philosophy. Surviving pre-collapse literature is mostly limited to crumpled pornography and Ayn Rand. The only thing close to a Learning Center would be the Temple Complex at Nular, a place where philosopher priests debate if there are three, four or five elements with Fire and Metal being the odd elements out under some classifications.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Haethalian Rubies were synthesized by the previous, advanced civilization and are the only usable components of their ruined machinery. Celenian engineers speculate they may be usable in the development of long range energy weapons. The largest concentration of these rubies may be found at the Yuan Van Salvage Site.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Rules query: when an unoccupied region has troops in it but is attacked, how is the commander score calculated? I see that most such regions, when attacked, do have commanders, but these don't seem to have been rolled for at the time of the battle. Are they predetermined, or randomly calculated as needed? (And if rolled on the spot, is it 1d10 or a 1dn+n?) If predetermined, is there a means of determining what this is before a battle?

I have looked for this in the rules but couldn't see it, though I had been certain I had seen it somewhere.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Rules query: when an unoccupied region has troops in it but is attacked, how is the commander score calculated? I see that most such regions, when attacked, do have commanders, but these don't seem to have been rolled for at the time of the battle. Are they predetermined, or randomly calculated as needed? (And if rolled on the spot, is it 1d10 or a 1dn+n?) If predetermined, is there a means of determining what this is before a battle?

I have looked for this in the rules but couldn't see it, though I had been certain I had seen it somewhere.
    Military leaders for unoccupied but unit containing regions are randomly generated as 1d10 as part of the initial military conflict or in response to a successful Investigation into the military leadership of a region. Gengy has said this may change in the future to be 1dn+n to prevent swinginess if it becomes egregiously skewed towards one end of the spectrum or another but for now it's 1d10 that, assuming the battle leader doesn't die or is being investigated first rather than fought first to discover their Mil score, sticks around in the region until killed or the region is captured by a player (See Lord Hops vs the Kryptids as well as the Commandant vs the Rothuun for unoccupied region battle leaders who survived to defend their homelands again)
    Thanks to Gengy for the avatar.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, Aed?
    You're not allowed to inquest regions not adjacent to you. You can't target T20.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Hey, Aed?
    You're not allowed to inquest regions not adjacent to you. You can't target T20.
    Unless I have misunderstood the adjacency rules, I have T22, which is adjacent to T20, so it is a valid inquest target. GMs please correct me if I have misunderstood.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Unless I have misunderstood the adjacency rules, I have T22, which is adjacent to T20, so it is a valid inquest target. GMs please correct me if I have misunderstood.
    Hah
    My bad
    Misread the map.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Submitting a new region:

The Rillian Shoals

Region R-06

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    Bereft of life or any noteworthy resources, this system showed little of interest during the Vilari’s first expeditions. On the cusp of classifying the region as dead space, a final probe was dispatched, charting a parabolic path through a cluster of unremarkable stars. It was at the center of this cluster that the probe detected the great sphere, and everything changed. With the sphere as a reference point, the seemingly random patterns of the stars around it became something else, revealing stellar engineering on a staggering scale. Each star was arrayed in a latticed orbit with its fellows, creating a mandala of gravitational force. Anything crossing one of these spatial currents was dragged inexorably towards the great sphere, slowly discorporating due to the stress of the capture. At the edge of the sphere’s system, little remains but flowing clouds of stellar dust, appearing to the Vilari as vast schools of diamond-scaled fish flowing with the tide. Initially caught in one of these consuming eddies, it was only the Gravity Latch Drive that enabled the Vilari vessel to escape and chart a safe approach to the sphere.

Show
    Initially identified as “Floobers,” closer contact with the synthetic inhabitants of the Rillian Sphere revealed the name to be the result of incomplete translation. More properly the Fluiform Curators, the inhabitants of the sphere appear socially as squat, three foot tall bipeds with silver skin and angular features not dissimilar from an adult human’s save one feature - a flat plane where a human’s eyes might be. Whether this is some simulacrum of their long-vanished creators or a form unique to the Curators is unknown, but it is in truth an illusion. Each Curator is in fact a linked network of nanites, capable of taking any shape supported by their mass, or forming part of a larger whole with groups of their kind. Scattered across the interior of the Rillian Sphere, their days are occupied in the continued maintenance of the sphere and production of their own kind, a task that has become increasingly difficult as the great construct succumbs to the ravages of time.

Show
    Though inhabited by purely synthetic lifeforms and possessed of vast memory arrays in its control centers, much of the Rillian Sphere’s history has been lost. Files copied along a hundred generations have broken down, crystal-lattice drives have fragmented, and the result is a people with only a hazy sense of their purpose or providence. What is known is that the sphere was once part of a vast military machine, one of several eternal factories supplying material to some apocalyptic struggle lost to time. The victors are unknown, but a victory was achieved, thought all evidence points to it being a pyrrhic one. The sphere was left abandoned, its makers unable or unwilling to return, doomed to year after year of static and decay. Some of the Curators went mad and were purged, further damaging the most sensitive components of the machine. More than anything, the descendants of the original Curators long for a purpose. But while they live in peace, every part of them is built for war.

Show
    Bereft of ambition or guile, the Curators are organized around their location within the Rillian Sphere and the responsibilities entrusted to them. Certain Curators are built with additional nanite mass, specifically allocated to interfacing with and guiding their standard brethren. These Administrators, in turn, routinely interface with the sphere’s vast intranet, allowing near instantaneous communication between the various branches of the Curator’s civilization.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Tellurim [Great]

While much of the Rillian Sphere’s composition bears some resemblance to modern alloys and materials, much of its superstructure bears the signs of truly alien materials science. The root of this is Tellurim, a mineral unknown in the wider galaxy. By exposing elemental iron to the superheated crucible of the sphere’s plasma refineries, a transition metal similar to vanadium can be extracted. However, Tellurim’s crystalline lattice endures the decomposition of its iodide, enabling more stable chemical permutations. Tellurim alloys and ceramics are among the hardest and most durable substances in the known galaxy, and account for both the sphere’s remarkable condition and the fearsome capabilities of its inhabitants.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-08-24 at 05:30 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #164

@Ivor As others have stated I would like a bit more on Thought Engines. I think I get what you're going for, normal propulsion engines powered by thought instead of traditional fuel, but I'd like it explicitly spelled out. Do that and this region is APPROVED

@Milt Please use the standard spoiler layout when placing this region in the Worlds thread and include the resource's discovered name "Fairy Flowers" even if you will call them Miracle Flowers in game. Other than these formatting issues the region is APPROVED

@Nef like Ivor's Thought Engines I'd like a little more elucidation on what Haethalian Rubies are since they appear to be more than just gemstones? Explain them a bit more and this region is APPROVED

@Dark No real issues on my part here. This region is APPROVED
    Last edited by RandoMan; 2019-08-25 at 09:09 AM.
    Thanks to Gengy for the avatar.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

The following regions need write ups before the End of Round 6, or they will go into Unrest:

KBC J8
    GLR L8
    CBS H10
    SPR S9
    DCC F18, H18
    DCN L28
    KCW M23
    MFM C17
    KSP M7
    LYR N8

The following regions will go into Unstable if they do not have a write-up before the End of Round 6:
    KNV R10, Q11

The following regions will need write-ups, but have till the End of Round 7 to complete them:
    DCC G21
    KSP M3
    VLS P6, R6
    SYN S23
    EAA L22
    UPT D6
    CBS F8, F10
    SPR T6, T8
    NDA D22
    MFM C15, C19
    RTH T12
    KBC I9
    HMY C21

(There may be others, so please submit your write-ups for region approvals when you have time!)
    Last edited by Gengy; 2019-08-26 at 07:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

The following regions need write ups before the End of Round 6, or they will go into Unrest:

NUT U25
    This region has been written and approved, but I have so far omitted to put it in the Worlds thread, which I will do now.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-08-25 at 10:52 AM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello benevolent GM overlords!

In the round 6 opening, it is said that:

Terror!
    The following Capitals go into Unrest due to a lack of their required resources. These Capitals have a good chance to enter Unstable if an attempt to acquire the resource does not occur this round...
    [b]
    G19 DCC
    However, the CmC has acquired for me Operatic Frogs in round 5, which should satisfy my capital requirement:

Desperate to acquire fauna to satiate the ecumenopolis’s dire shortage the Droccen contract with the Cosmic Couriers to acquire a stake in the Cagun’s froglegs franchises. Courier powers of persuasion were adept at navigating the contentious local rivalries turning competitors against one another such that joining with the CmC seemed the only viable option to survive and win. In no time at all the Couriers possessed a controlling interest in the worldwide Operatic Frog rearing and preparing industries, a control they exchange to the Droccen Imperium shortly thereafter in exchange for the promise of a favor owed. (DCC via CmC successfully buys out F22 Operatic Frogs TP1!)

Thanks guys! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

SYN R22[/B]
    I submitted Crab Nebula at the same time as Stormwrack, and it was approved.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #169
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PepperP. View Post
    Hello benevolent GM overlords!

However, the CmC has acquired for me Operatic Frogs in round 5, which should satisfy my capital requirement:

Thanks guys! <3
    You are correct pepper i have adjusted the tables so that G19 is no longer in unrest.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandoMan View Post
    @Nef like Ivor's Thought Engines I'd like a little more elucidation on what Haethalian Rubies are since they appear to be more than just gemstones? Explain them a bit more and this region is APPROVED
    Precious minerals that do hand wavy sci-fi jargon stuff to make Star Wars turbolasers. Flawless aluminum oxide crystals with uniformly aligned chromium ions allow for the creation of flash resonance chambers with a coherence value exceeding Gaertz's Limit without the risk of catastrophic failure due to waste heat. Celenian engineers see the obvious weapons applications and begin designing the projected magnetic sheathing muzzles necessary to prevent plasma dispersal at ranges up to 50,000 kilometers in vacuum for cannons suitable for mounting on Republic Frigates.

(The JFU is no more! Region P28 will need to be explored! CEL gains 2 Military Units, that can exceed their Military Cap, until the start of Round 8. These Units are always used up first in any engagements, and will desert if CEL enters a battle with 6 or more units.)
    Clarification, please. Does that mean that the 2 units don't count against my cap until Round 8, or do I just lose the units on Round 8?

After a year of exploring the cosmos, Etherite explorers come across an icy planet littered with neon cities trapped within climate controlled domes. Ruled by a technocratic oligarchy, the cities are patrolled by a group of cybernetic beings known as the Run Gunners, known for both their amazing speed, and their legs that can transform into various guns. (CEL discovers J30 which contains a [Great] resource of [Run Gunners], 2 units of Assasins & an Open Learning Center!)
    This was misattributed to CEL/me.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2019-08-25 at 07:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

The Zataris Cluster
    Region H-10

Show
    Since the dawn of history the inhabitants of Amanyk have looked up at the sky and marvelled at the Zataris Cluster, five bright stars set in a faint nebulosity that dominated the night. Almost as soon as telescopes were invented they were turned to gaze upon this sight and as technology improved the discovery of habitable worlds followed. Of course, it was several centuries before the ancient Amanyn developed the ability to travel the stars, first with light sails and then with the Gravity Latch Drive's primitive cousin. (For clarification, if the GLD is a nuclear reactor, this primitive gravity drive is a dusty solar cell in England.)
    While the planets settled within were bountiful and grew in population and importance, the numerous stars of the Zataris Cluster made FTL problematic with such a primitive drive and it was soon found to be impossible to safely exit. To solve this a powerful gravitational beacon was set in orbit around Amanyk to guide travellers back home and for many thousands of years this solution and unlike most colonials, the Tal-Zataran grew strong ties with the homeworld. Of course, with the Fall of Amanyk the beacon was destroyed and so the Tal-Zataran were cut off from the outside galaxy.

Spoiler: Region Description
    Show
    The Zataris Cluster is a relatively dense region of space that contains a star cluster set among leftover gas and dust. The conflicting gravitational effects from the multiple stars combined with the clouds of dust and gas make internal navigation difficult but the skies viewed from any planet within are spectacular. While there are a number of small outposts and colonies established for resource extraction, there are five habitable worlds with large populations, each exceeding a billion individuals in population.

Sadruva is a predominantly semi-arid world with little in the way of mineral or agricultural resources. Despite this, it is a highly urbanised and industrialised planet due to its proximity to several resource rich asteroid belts and gas giants. The wealth gained from these industries has led to the establishment of numerous educational and research institutions, including the Grand Academy.

Calaran is a rugged and heavily forested planet with large, shallow oceans. While most of the surface remains as preserved wilderness dotted with monasteries, much of the lowland areas are given over to agriculture. Combined with bountiful catches of fish, this has made Calaran a major exporter of luxury foodstuffs.

Zaldrat is a cold world with long Winters and a short growing season. Despite this it is entirely self sufficient due to the efficient use of geothermal greenhouses and due to widespread auroras and ample hunting opportunities functions as a popular tourist destination.

Linias is a tropical world with little land area and vast coral archipelagos. Unusually, the chirality of important biological molecules is reversed on Linias making traditional agriculture and fishery practices impossible. As such, the population is small and there is little in the way of industry.

Asharak is a world with intense geological and volcanic activity. Despite this the constant churning of the crust brings minerals and nutrients to the surface and so fast growing, lush jungles cover much of the surface that are a source of thousands of exotic fruits and spices. In addition, rare gemstones are unearthed regularly by earthquakes and eruptions which fetch high prices off world.

Show
    Biologically, the Tal-Zataran are indistinguishable from the Tal-Amanyn being as they are the same species. Both possess the same remarkable regenerative abilities and without the constant exposure to harmful radiation endured on the homeworld, the Tal-Zataran often reach two thousand years of life.
    Despite these long lives culture has moved on. It has been generations since the days of the White Sun and without the influence of the homeworld much has been relaxed. Culturally, the Zataris Cluster is as diverse as Amanyk, perhaps even to a higher degree, though there is less variation in languages and dialects. Without nobility there is no standardised way of doing things and so officials are known to wear all manner of garb that would be considered informal or outlandish in the Sky Assembly or the Courts. Unlike Amanyk, few Crystals are manufactures in the Zataris Cluster and so their use in attire is limited and numerous tech workarounds have been employed such that what few Scaranik, and other, Crystals are forged can be saved for where they are needed.

Show
    Each of the five worlds of the Zataris Cluster governs itself for the most part, each with their own legal codes, Courts and governing Parliaments. However, for matters of joint importance, such as Navigator oversight, jurisdictional disputes, financial regulation, deep space resources, etc., a special five member council known as the Pentarchy exists. Made up of a Grandmaster Navigators chose by the Parliament of each world in the Cluster, it is widely viewed as primarily ceremonial and only meets when called upon. Many see the Pentarchy as an ineffectual waste of time and desire a united Parliament, but the influence of the Esteemed Imperial College of Navigators, Pilots and Cartographers prevents any serious attempt of establishing a unified democracy in the Cluster.

Show
    Like on Amanyk there are many gods and ideals revered by the people of the Zataris Cluster. However, unlike on Amanyk the pursuit of the Axiom of Axioms is viewed far more seriously. Monasteries and academies in isolated wilderness areas have sprung up over the aeons and it is considered essential spend at least a few seasons honing the mind and meditating on reality, especially for those interested in pursuing a career as a Navigator.

The most important centre of learning is the Monastery of the Five Suns on Calaran. This ancient complex is carved into the side of a mountain and its underground sections extend for kilometres into the rock. Many have waited decades for the chance to enter seclusion here and those who do rarely return to non-cloistered life.

Show
    The conditions of the Zataris Cluster necessitate a continued and thorough study of the art of navigation. Nowhere else has such skilled Navigators by the academy full. Some say there are those among them who have such an advanced knowledge of the principles of gravity and spatial geometry that they can literally shave distance off a journey as well as time, though of course such a claim is viewed as ridiculous.

The Grand Academy of Sadruva is the principle centre of navigational study in the Cluster. Here the finest teachers and scientists gather to instruct new generations in the intricacies of celestial navigation.

The Imperial Stellar Observatory is perhaps the oldest scientific institute within the Cluster and provides constant up to date maps of the Cluster itself and, now that new information is forthcoming from Amanyk, the galaxy at large. Many a Navigator will spend time here just poring over the maps and records within.

The Sadruva-Calaran Raceway is a treacherous route between the two planets that has claimed many lives and is more or less avoided by anyone with any sense. Navigators however view it as the ultimate challenge and races are held regularly as a chance for them to prove themselves in the eyes of each other and of potential clients.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2019-10-04 at 12:26 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriko View Post
    You are correct pepper i have adjusted the tables so that G19 is no longer in unrest.
    Thank you Moriko! I will name a Guardian Mori after you. <3
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Numenori Frontier
    Region F18

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    Region
    Star System: Nyamenaa
    Seven planets rotate around Nyameena, which is a large blue star similar to Sui Generis in the system of the Droccen Homeworld. Nyameena has a yellow sister dwarf star that only appears in the planetary skies for half of the year due to it's smaller size and position. The singular bastion of life in the Nyamenaa Star System can be found inhabiting the planet of Numenori. Numenori is a pristine world of verdant forests, sparkling white-sand beaches and crystalline waters. Numenori's spring and summer seasons are very warm due to the appearance of the second star, Nikko, during that time of the year. Largely left undisturbed by technological progress up until now, the modest tribal villages of the Numenorean Droccs have had little impact upon the planet. The Numenorian’s greatest achievement is the construction of the Far Roads, Known as Toimichi in the Numenori tongue. The Imperial Droccen have come to call them the “Toy Roads” due to a misunderstanding of the local dialect.

Show
    People
    Physiologically, the Numenorean Droccs are identical to the Imperial Droccs. The divergence lies in the Numenorean Drocc’s complete lack of technological advancement, and also in their aversion in utilizing the technology newly made available to them by their incorporation into the Droccen Imperium.

The Numenoreans low-tech lifestyle is completely agrarian and sustainable. Their economy is entirely trade-based, making good relations between villages and families of paramount importance. Marriages are often arranged to suit these diplomatic endeavors, and family units consisting of multiple husbands and/or wives is very common.

Ancient occupations which have been largely mechanized on the urban Droccen Homeworld are prevalent on Numenori. Farming, Shepherding, Fishing, Woodcutting and Building are all still important to the Numenoreans. No occupation is more respected however, than the storytellers, writers and actors that have passed down their people’s wealth of knowledge for untold generations.

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show

History
    Neither the Imperial Droccs or the Numenorians quite understand how there came to be the convergent species of Droccs on two different planets under different star systems with such a vast disparity of technology and ideology. While some have posited that the Numenoreans are the long-distant offspring of a failed expedition, there are no records or Numenorean artifacts to support such a theory.

Government
    The Numenoreans are governed locally by village chieftains. Yearly, there is a great gathering in the centrally located village of Saisho, which ends in a conference of Chieftains to discuss concerns and needs of their people. It was during one of these Conferences that they were convinced to join the Imperium and the Numenoreans have thus far been left with their lifestyle and culture largely intact though how long until the Imperial eyes turn towards the inviting landscape is yet to be seen.

Princess Aran of the Droccen Imperium was wed to Chief Dori of the village Saisho in order to encourage diplomatic relations between the two Droccen factions. Aran has many ideas on how to improve the Numenoreans efficiency in many areas, as well as improvements she’d like her sister Sai to make in the capital. Enterprising Droccs from the Homeworld are eyeing the planet for tourism ventures but anything that might have an adverse effect on the local culture and lifestyle is being discouraged for now.

Show
    Philosophy
    Upon initial contact, the Numenoreans seemed to lack a codified ideology. While reverence of their natural surroundings and respect for their fellow creatures is rooted in their everyday lives, they could not be said to worship any specific aspect or deity. Lessons and parables are passed on through stories and plays, the retelling of which are a big part of their yearly gatherings. Since the inception of Numenori into the Droccen Imperium, adherence to The One ideology has grown in popularity thanks largely to Princess Aran’s influence.
    LC: Saisho (The One)

Show
    Resource
    The major valuable resource of Numenori lies not in its abundant landscape but in the charm of its bards and actors. Generations of history, folk tales, songs and stories are acted out in elaborate if rustic plays, and entertainment troupes happily travel off world in order to spread their wisdom and culture to far-flung lands.
    Resource: Numenorean Actors (Good)

Spoiler: Leader
    Show
    Leader
    First Chieftain Dori of Saisho (Local)
    Empress Sai of Droccen (Imperial)
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2019-08-26 at 03:17 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Clarification, please. Does that mean that the 2 units don't count against my cap until Round 8, or do I just lose the units on Round 8?
    The former. They will currently leave you on the start of Round 8 if you have more than your cap at that time. Basically, it's a temporary boost to your unit total. Use 'em or lose 'em.

A whole lot of minor corrections from lots of people
    The GM Team is working to resolve these. Thank you for pointing them out.

-------------------------

The Round Opener Map will be updated soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:

"What-the-Jongo?"

~avatar by myself

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Region U21 (which, barring something strange happening, I should acquire this round) for approval.

Norduin Starfield
    Sector U21

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

The sector is replete with friendly stars and habitable planets, a number of which have formed the homeworlds for intelligent life. Centuries ago, however, a compact was made to remove heavy industry from the surfaces of habitable worlds wherever possible in order to preserve their ecosystems. The resulting industrial stations grew in size and importance until they came to house the majority of the sector’s population.

The three largest stations orbit a single star, Estoyle, and each is at least the size of a small moon, though since the habitable decks are within the stations rather than on the surface, their populations are much denser than that might suggest. Each of the stations is largely self-sufficient, making use of hydroponic farms and algae decks to sustain their populations, but there is always produce more in demand from one than the others, and a brisk trade exists between the three - and between the rockworlds of the sector.

The Huguenot is the oldest, and largest, of the three. Built only to the most rudimentary of plans and constantly revised and adapted over the decades, it is a notorious labyrinth, with whole decks abandoned, wings threatening to collapse, and a confusing mish-mash of architecture ranging from an ornate, almost gothic, style, through to clean space-age lines. The other stationdwellers may call it the Deathtrap, but its own denizens scoff at their insecurities, for in a good year the Huguenot will outperform both other stations combined.

The Albigensian is roughly two-thirds the size of the Huguenot and probably the best-laid-out of the three stations, being just about possible for an outsider to navigate without a native guide. Its style is also more consistent, although it has changed over the generations nevertheless, and is beginning to sprawl at the edges. Its highly-efficient heavy industrial decks, concentrated in the centre of the structure, have given it the nickname of the Furnace.

The Tuchin is the youngest of the three stations, and was founded by disgruntled workers from the Huguenot, dissatisfied about excessive duties on their produce. Its lowly beginnings with subsequent extension have given it a rambling layout, and although its workers pride themselves on the quality of its products the lack of central planning from the outset has led to the station’s being relatively inefficient overall.

In addition to the three HAT stations, there are eight inhabited rockworlds, in various systems (only one of them in Estoyle). The inhabitants of these stations are uniformly rich and underemployed, and while they may exert some nominal political authority their principal purpose is to buy the goods produced by the stations.

The inhabited systems are:
    • Bisse (Roan)
    • Brohon (Vent)
    • Cerf (Abrante)
    • Chamel (Montargis)
    • Estoyle (Rethel)
    • Ferlance (Massa)
    • Mite (Hallwin)
    • Vis (Croy)

Show

There are eight known native intelligent species in the sector, all of them humanoid. Early encounters between the different worlds were not always friendly, but a working (and often closer) relationship has been formed between them. While there could be interpreted to be something of a caste-based system at play on the stations, the people themselves owuld likely reject such a suggestion, as the people merely gravitate towards the work to which they are best suited.

Extensive experimentation has led to successful cross-breeding attempts between a number of the species, although this remains the exception, and consequently social groups are also often species-based.

The species are known after their worlds, as follows:

• The Rethel, of Rethel, appear as humans but with skin that generally ranges from red to a light pink, and eyes that are frequently black.
    • The Massa, of Massa are stocky humanoids whose divergence from the humanoid norm is largely limited to a tendency towards forked tongues, hairless heads and an increased tolerance for heat. Their homeworld is known for the vastness of its deserts and the dullness of its entertainment.
    • The Abrantes, of Abrante, appear fully human. It was a group of Abrantes who founded the Tuchin, but they can be found on all stations.
    • The Croy, of Croy, are pale-skinned humanoids with universally dark hair and eyes. Their homeworld is subject to extremely lengthy nights, and consequently they are fully at home in the dark.
    • The Hallwin, of Hallwin, are small, slender humanoids, the tallest of them standing around five feet tall. They are particularly valued for their ability to fit into small gaps on the station and many of them find employment in such roles, but they can be found in all positions.
    • The Montargis, of Montar, seem human but with a slight tendency towards subdermal skull ridges which can give their faces a curious appearance. On Montar it was common for these ridges to be accentuated through scarring, but this has gradually fallen out of use on the stations. It is not uncommon for the Montargis to tattoo themselves, but this has caught on among other species too. The Montargis dominate trading professions
    • The Roannais, of Roan, are humanoids with white-blue skin. They are known to be somewhat humourless and to have a love of ritual, tradition and proper procedure (invitations to visit Roan are dreaded almost as much as visits to Massa) but this may be a cultural factor rather than a natural predisposition. Younger generations of Roannais are considered somewhat dissolute by their elders, and there is an increasing divide between the Roannais aristocracy back on Roan and the stationdwellers.
    • The Ventadors, of Vent in the Brohon system, appear as perhaps slightly oversized humans. Their native culture is somewhat boorish and boisterous, with hunting being the most popular pastime. They make up a relatively small proportion of stationdwellers, as on the whole they have little patience for the hard manual labour that it calls for.

Half-breeds (a generic name, considered non-offensive) are few in number. They are most common between Antrabes, Ventadors and Montargis, but Antrabes-Rethel individuals are known and there are of course rumours of cross-breeds of all varieties. The only species that has not successfully reproduced with any other outside a laboratory is the Massa.

Show
    Because of the nature of the stations, direct control can only be exercised over a fairly minimal portion of each station. While there is some station-wide organisation, much of each station is largely left to run itself, with well-ordered command decks giving way to often chaotic production decks, self-governing habitation decks, and lawless “underground” decks which are entirely the domain of the unfortunate and the criminal.

In theory, all station residents have a sort of dual nationality, for their homeworld and for the station on which they reside. Station citizenship was hard-won following attempts by the rockworlds to exert control over station business, and many, perhaps even most, stationdwellers live their whole lives on the station without ever visiting their nominal homeworld. It is extended as a formality and it is open to anyone of the species to return there.

Each station is self-governing, with authority generally being wielded by a central station committee whose selection procedures are opaque but which gives at least enough semblance of a meritocracy that most of the population at least tolerate it. Every now and again a rich young rockworlder comes to one of the stations with the stated intention of “cleaning it up”; most of these are disabused of their delusions about the romance of life on board station and return home relatively quickly; some fall into destitution on the manual labour decks and descend into the common mass of the populace - but a few do forge glittering careers in station management. They are nevertheless the exception not the rule.

Show

Although the stations produce a wide variety of goods, their most noteworthy export is the headgear they produce, with the best of such products known as Onliest Hats. This started as a craze among rockworlders before developing into a major industry in its own right.

The chemicals used in their manufacture permeate the production decks of the stations, and are believed to cause madness, and other mental degenerative conditions. Every now and again an attempt is made to address this, but it never gets very far due to the influence of the powerful pro-hat lobby (see Philosophy, below).

Show

Every planet has its own ideologies, many of which have been retained by the station populations. The closest thing to a universal belief, however, is Haberdashery. This began on the rockworlds as the aristocracy competed for the most outlandish hats, but spread back to the stations as hatmakers able to meet the supply became wealthier and more successful.

The most successful hatmakers formed a society to protect the secrets of their trade, which gradually outgrew its origins and became a quasi-religious cult, with members across some of the highest reaches of society and growing political influence.

The importance of headgear remains in the cult’s ideology but it has become a much more all-encompassing philosophy, and its adherents currently control the education facilities on the Huguenot.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-08-28 at 06:45 PM.

League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

(CEL discovers S29 which contains a [Good] resource of [Hairline Titanium], 2 units of Worms & an Ninurtine!)
    I think that was supposed to be "& and open Learning Center", but I need confirmation. As is, it looks like the planet is defended by angry worms and just one Ninturine.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Region L28, the Hoop Breach

Spoiler: Terrain, History, and Society
    Show
    Terrain

Though lacking in intelligent life, there are a few planets in the systems of the hoop breach that pique the interest of would-be Dipanan colonials.

Darkinu, the only world so far to have a small colonial presence, is notable for its high volcanic activity and large forests of waxy bamboo-like plants adapted to quick regrowth after a fire. Wildfires are common enough here that the settlers currently exploring the planet live in well-insulated tank-like treaded vehicles capable of sustaining a healthy internal atmosphere for 5 days and powered with charcoal. The eventual hope for Darkinu is that with genetic engineering Dipanan crops might be adapted to frequent burning and regrowth, making it into an exceedingly productive agricultural world. For now however it is funded on loans and wax and fiber harvests from native forests.

Laoiki is a gas giant notable not so much for any properties of its own but for the loop factory orbiting it. The size of a small moon, it’s control centers feature very little in the way of environment control, but a research team from Shabalu is in the process of exploring the facility in environment suits.

Nupta is a rocky and lifeless planet notable for large deposits of remarkably pure elemental iron. Unnatural scarring suggests the planet was the source of the iron for the red metal loops found in the system. Though the iron concentrations of Nupta are exceptional, low demand for iron in Dipanan space and the high distance from the nearest market make it unprofitable to develop for now. Should the loop factory become operational again a small mining operation on nupta would likely be highly profitable.

Show
    Red Metal Loops (Minor)- the loop brought back to Dipanan core space for research has yielded many valuable clues relating to the purpose of these nearly 1000km diameter rings built mostly of iron. Most loops have a control panel accessible from the outside that when powered causes the loop to generate a gravity field on its interior. By manipulating the instruments on the control panel one can manipulate the shape of the field. Though this property has many uses from bending light to holding objects together in a vacuum the leading scientists studying the loops suggest that they were initially designed to be used as lenses, assembled into an immensely powerful telescope.

Currently the only hoop in active use is being used to power a communications relay near Darkinu. The hoop bends light from the full nearly 1000 km diameter hoop onto a small solar panel wired to the relay station. Research is currently in progress to find a way to transmit excess power to the colony of Darkinu.

Show
    The fledgeling colony of Darkinu is the only body in the Hoop Breach with a representative on the council, and due to its distance from Katarsa information is sent to the homeworld by way of a communications relay orbiting the planet. Most communication is run over the Orator Message System, despite the security problems this presents. Classified Communications are sent via physical messengers on ships, as Dipanans currently lack a system of communication faster than the GLD.

Spoiler: Faith
    Show
    Like the home Dipanan system, the Hoop Breach is largely free of the larger religions that pollute the galaxy. However, were the communications relay orbiting Darkinu to be influenced by a religion, the planet itself would likely follow within a matter of years.

Learning Center one: Darkinu Communications Relay, open.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-08-27 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Alitur
    Region S23

No longer a WIP, woohoo!

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Most planets in Alituran territory are places of untouched natural splendor, where no one has set foot in centuries, allowing native life to flourish. The inhabitants of the region live in orbiting arcologies which bristle with weapons in the defense of their natural resources. There are several planets defended in such a way, each a life-bearing world.
    Alitur: The original homeworld of the Aliturans is in sad shape. Littered by industrial ruins and despoiled by pollution, it is a monument to their civilization's greatest disaster. Nature slowly reclaims the damaged world, but it will never fully recover.
    Apollyon: A dangerous world rife with hostile and deadly life. Apollyon looks fairly barren on the surface, but beneath lie honeycombed networks of tunnels filled with fungal life. Spore inhalation killed several members of the expeditionary party, and in addition to being under protection, the planet is also under quarantine to prevent the spread of fungal diseases.
    Strix: An earthlike world inhabited by a tribal species of predatory birds, not unlike vampiric owls. The Aliturans avoided contact with the natives, but are monitoring their development, whereas the natives see the traces of the spacefaring civilization above their heads as portents from their gods.
    Tenebris: The dark world orbits a weak star at the "Western" edge of Alituran space. The species inhabiting it make frequent use of bioluminescence to navigate and to communicate, giving the surface the look of a field of colorful stars at night.
    More planets coming soon

Life aboard Alituran space stations is not easy. Quarters are cramped, and there is a constant demand for more metals to expand the structure. Space is the most valuable commodity; even the wealthiest and most important members of society have only a couple rooms to their name, whereas the poor rarely have more than a closet. Food is also expensive, and most of what is available is protein paste synthesized from hydroponically grown vegetables and microbial cultures. Syndrome provided food helps alleviate this issue, but because it is Antispice-derived, it leads to greater and greater dependence on Syndrome products.

Show
    Aliturans are humanoid, appearing very similar to humans. However, they tend to lesser heights, usually between 4 to 5.5 feet, and have hair ranging between bright red, blue, and purple. Alituran clothing is very uniform and simplistic, made from synthetic fibers and usually dyed the Party colors of green and black. This uniform colorization has earned them the nickname "Greenshirts." The style of these clothes is very reminiscent of military uniforms, and this is no coincidence. Alituran law requires that every citizen be a part of the volunteer militia from age 13. Arms training is universal as part of their public education system.

Show
    Alitur was once a prosperous civilization on the cusp of interstellar travel. They had constructed orbital stations around their homeworld and were close to sending their first interstellar expeditions to promising nearby stars. However, their practices at home led to an ecological collapse; nearly every species of animal and plant was dying out. Alituran scientists estimated that their world would become uninhabitable within a few years. As a result of this crisis, the Alituran civilization began to move their entire population offworld. This caused radicals shifts in government and led to the rise of the Protectorate Party (now just "The Party") to power. The Party instituted a strict policy: no person was to knowingly set foot on a life-bearing world, so they would not destroy another planet. To enforce this, they created a military state which could protect their worlds at any cost, which survives to this day. Recently, the arrival of the Syndrome sparked controversy between rivals within the Party, over whether or not to ally and trade with aliens. The Syndrome-backed Neo-Greens won out, and the Aliturans joined the Syndrome confederation.

Show
    Alitur is offically led by the Commandant, a charismatic figure chosen by the Party to represent them to the people. The current Commandant is Vivianna Lychnus, a good-looking woman, tall for an Alituran at 5'3". She's the daughter of a prominent Party politician. She was involved in the leadership of the Neo-Green movement, and their triumph over the traditionalists led to her being selected as Commandant by a Neo-Green controlled Party. Despite her prominence, the real power has always been the Party's Board of Directors. They set the direction for the Party's policies and select Commandants which align with those policies.

Show
    Resource: Propaganda (minor)
    The Bureau of Knowledge is hard at work making sure all Aliturans know what to believe. Their propaganda is reputed as some of the most subtle and effective in the galaxy. A large section of the government is devoted to the spinning of information into something which fits the Party's views. Each of the three subsections handles part of the load of propaganda to create.

Trade Post 1: Subsection A (open)
    Trade Post 2: Subsection B (x)
    Trade Post 3: Subsection C (x)

Show
    The Party is extremely zealous in promoting Alituran philosophy. Loyalty to Alitur and a willingness for military service are praised virtues, and to fight and die for the preservation of nature is one of the highest ends someone can achieve.

Learning Center: Bureau of Knowledge (Ultranationalism)
    The Bureau of Knowledge handles all production of propaganda and other cultural items, such as clothing. It has nearly direct control over the beliefs of the entire Alituran people.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-09-12 at 12:45 PM.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Round 6 Event Glitterhome Gala

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

The Vilari are also hosting an event this round to discuss the revelations regarding the Core.

Event thread is here.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!