The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE5! - CWBG - Now in Galactic Size

I'm submitting a writeup, though not so much in the typical form! I do hope this is tolerable, it just wrote better when I didn't segregate it into the typical sections.

Sector X12 - The Magnetic Wastes

Spoiler: Stellar Objects of Note
    Show

The ‘Rishann’ system is one of the most prominent in the sector, a powerful magnetar that has lead to the collapse of many lesser stars and planets around it due to its viscous starquakes that rock the sector. Rishann is not the only magnetar in the system, but it is many times more powerful than all the others that together form somewhat of a minefield for spacefaring travellers. The only remaining object of note that orbits within a lightyear of Rishann is an ancient caller vessel of fantastic size, torn apart from tens of thousands of starquakes over time that have collapsed into the star. With all powered systems long dead and the hull shattered into dozens upon dozens of smaller and uninhabitable pieces, it is decisively difficult to actually obtain any working caller relics that have not already been stolen off with or destroyed. Still, it makes a tempting spot for idealistic pirates and naive governments who would risk stirring up the local population that has taken up residence there.

A once prosperous jungle world called ‘Kshreesked’ served as the cradle for a race of intelligent and diplomatic spider-folk whose details are in the cultures section. This planet has since been torn apart by starquakes, leaving it lifeless and broken… But the ruins of a lush and productive world yet remain.

Celestia Enterprises established a series of forward bases upon discovery of the sector in locations that they believed would be best suited to weather the starquakes. Most of these bases ended up on rocky border-planets and large asteroids that served as short-term ways to earn back the cash that was spent on the expedition, though an entire mining community in the galactic north of the system has cropped up after discovering a series of hyper magnetically-charged stones that provided a cheaper alternative to primitive railguns.

The sector is known as the Magnetic Wastes due to the inability of life to form on nearly any of the worlds, and the harsh conditions that the magnetars force upon settlers. A carelessly placed space station has next to no chance of survival, making pockets of civilization few and far between.

Spoiler: Cultures and Regional History
    Show

The only culture that evolved enough to be considered intelligent life is that of the spider-folkd in the region, more commonly referred to as the Deepcrawler race. The Deepcrawlers evolved on the planet Kshreesked (which is much easier to pronounce for them) in multiple different regions with environments that caused slight variations on their race such as the potency of their venomous jaws or the ability to spin webs… But the differences in cultures are now irrelevant, as only the luckiest of their race now live on. The race that survived were called the ‘Velnyan’ people, who revered the magnetar as a god and had been awaiting the day of destruction for longer than they had recorded history. While what they vaguely describe as the ‘rital’ protected them when the event happened in 217500.0.0.30, they appear to be unable to replicate it nor describe how it happened beyond it involving a ‘great flash of white that brought the chosen people here, to safety.’ They physically resemble giant spiders who tend to wear long capes.

The Deepcrawlers were pre-spacefaring in terms of technology, using technology mostly powered by waste heat and steam vents that frequently jetted great quantities of water to the surface. Their society values patience and politeness above most other values, believing that the ability to communicate civilly is what separates their people from the beasts of their homeworld. As such, they strive to always understand and seek a peaceful resolution when possible, and have typically cooperated with invading forces to help them achieve what they sought to obtain so long as they did not put their own lives at risk. Very proud of what they’ve discovered about the callers, the Deepcrawlers have managed to activate what’s left of the lights on the fragment of the caller ship they inhabit, and have learned over time how to reconstruct the antimatter refineries to a more primitive extent. They take massive amounts of power for relatively little gain, which is only sustainable due to the volume of solar energy they obtain from the ship and their very low numbers. Not only that, but they seem to only have a limited number of ‘recipes’ that they can craft. They seem happy to produce more of these refineries, for people who are willing to help them learn new recipes for their machines.

Celestia’s arrival in the region (officially) to claim it as their own was a violent one. There was no opposition, but the military that arrived had to have a long, tedious conversation with the Deepfolk about what it meant to be ‘property’ of Celestia Enterprises. Ultimately they can to a temporary conclusion, which left the region in unrest. On the bright side, at least the pirates didn’t visit as often!

The philosophy of the native people is largely unaffiliated as of their discovery, with some local reverence for the magnetar that destroyed their home and the caller technology that has kept them alive post apocalypse. Very, very diplomatic, these people would not take well to any philosophy that promotes violence… But perhaps the humans from Celestia in the region could be more easily swayed. The reconciliation of the Deepfolk and the mercantile offshoot of humanity came as a culture shock to the isolated spider-people, who have since become avid followers of Celestian and Zaran media. The beginnings of a proper uplifting to the space age are considered, but it was eventually decided to let them integrate at their own rate.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Response in my news and rumors for you knife ear
    What is it with the Alysians and their orbital bombardment fetish?
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    What is it with the Alysians and their orbital bombardment fetish?
    Don't kinkshame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Hey non-Discord people. I made a spreadsheet to compile the different types of starships in the galaxy, if you're into that sort of thing. There's also a calculator on the second tab that can help you estimate the length or mass of your ships, given our existing standards. It assumes a fairly long, narrow sort of ship, so if you imagine your empire's ships are particularly bulky or are just shaped like big angry triangles, you might add a bit to the mass estimate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...z9U/edit#gid=0

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

So first off: I apologize for being slow to reply to this OOC Thread. IRL stuff has been hitting me a little hard. For those that haven't seen me say it enough in Discord, a big gigantic thank you to the rest of the GM Team for picking up my slack! Rando has been awesome, and everyone should be thankful of him handling a huge amount of the round openers every two weeks. The rest of the GM Team (Corona, Moriko, Lleban, Zayuz) is always willing to pitch in where they can, so it's been great having so much help to keep this game alive with little to no delays. Big round of applause for everyone, please!

Secondly: Round 8 ends soon. Check your actions, check your rolls, check everything. Make sure it's ready for the Round to be closed in roughly 62-ish hours from when this post is made, give or take a couple hours.

Now, let's move on to Region Reviews! In order to expedite these things this time, if it's approved, there won't be comment or a question. It'll just be Approved. Otherwise, if there is a question or concern I bring up, please address that concern by updating the region in a new post to make it easier for me to find. Yes, even for small changes. It's my fault for not making sure these got done sooner, but you'd really be helping me out by re-posting it after so long rather than editing it and saying something like "ok, I did it". It's a tracking thing. Plus, I'll probably ask @Rando or @Lleban to help me review regions more often, so I don't have so much of a backlog

Aed
    Amurrin Sector (T24) - Approved
    Ceylan Nebula - Approved

Quinton
    Borealis (S9) - Approved
    Crystal's Edge (T6) - Approved
    Huville & Truffoplis (T8) - Approved

Miltonian
    The Glory Star (N8)
    Rayborn System (U29)

Milt, both of these are a solid start at write-ups, but unfortunately, that's all they are. While great summaries, I can't let these be approved with so few details. Try and take what you have and expand upon them. Also, check everyone else's recent submissions; you'll see the formatting that everyone prefers has separate [Spoilers] for each section. (QB does a great job of being a good example) I know that seems silly, but when the GM Team is looking for details about that one thing it's easier to find it when the region is properly [Spoilered]. Add more, spoiler things separately, and we'll take another look! I can say that both Resources are acceptable!

Pepper
    The Audrey Starsytem (G21) - Approved
    Umberedge at Burnsley (G17) - Approved (Pip, pip, cheery-insect-o!)

Moriko
    Konijntje (C19) - Typos exist, mostly in missing a word here and there. Not glaring, but they keep throwing me off. Proof-read more I'll let it slide for now, though. But watch yourself! No special treatment for my GM Team after I've told people what a big help you've been! Approved!

Dark
    Gardens of Leira (J24) - Approved

Kreig
    Overall comment: Formatting generally prefers all sections separated by "Region" "People" "History" "Government" "Resources" & "Philosophy". The order isn't as important, though a good example can be found via what Quinton and Dark have posted above your own posts. Yeah, sometimes there is overlap, and yeah, sometimes the story of the region(s) don't make sense if you do it a different way, but it helps fellow players and the GM Team find the one thing they are looking for at a given time for a region. Additionally: You probably could have made all four of those regions (or at least three of them) in one post. GitP forum character limit per post is 50,000; just some info for future reference. Alllll of that said... your spoiler combinations do seem to cover everything, so while I would like to see things parsed out in the more 'standard format' that everyone else uses... You've got enough in each write up that I'm gonna review them.

Uanerth (D6) - Approved
    Gyribov (D8) - Approved
    Stronoe 71Y6 (E3) - Approved
    Mibreshan (E7) - Approved

Corona
    Ryuvia (Y5) aka, CmC Siberia - Approved

Lleban
    The Pirati Sector (Q11) - I'd like a little more on the Palugi's Philosophy (or historical philosophy up to whatever they have now) before I feel comfy approving this. You touch on my Government questions in the People section, so that's acceptable, I suppose. If I could have the names and/or titles of some prominent individuals, though, in a Government section, that would be great.

Nef
    Lesser Itea Jotunheim (P24) - Really happy with your and moos's take on this! Approved

ECat
    Redonda (H26) - Approved

Zayuz
    The Magnetic Wastes (X12) - I like it, but... like I've told others, I respect the formatting too much for it's ease of use later to disregard it fully. I'm glad it was easier to write for you, but if you could place things in the usual format, future me will really appreciate it when I want to know more about the Philosophy of the region without having to re-read the entire Cultures and Regional History section. Also, I didn't see any mention or explanation of the Steel Carapaces at all; and that's kinda important

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Rules query for Gengy et al. At present hypothetical but the sort of thing that's useful to confirm now before it becomes relevant.

The Zone of Influence rules are clear on their face but all the illustrations and descriptions assume that a player's regions are all contiguous. My questions therefore are:

1. If a player has a region that does not border any of their other regions, does this operate like any other region for purposes of generating adjacent, close, moderate zones etc. but with the Improbable Zone remaining calculated solely from the capital?

2. If the above is yes, if a player should somehow have a region in their Improbable Zone, presumably this still counts as within their Improbable Zone and therefore subject to the -8 penalty. But does a region within the Improbable Zone project its own ZoI for the purposes of adjacency, close zones etc where this does not overlap with the Improbable Zone?

By way of illustration, imagine the hypothetical stellar power Expandia with its capital in A1 and, for the sake of argument, no other regions. It somehow acquires a region in F6, which is in its Improbable Zone. The Improbable Zone does not move, so F6 remains Improbable, as do F4 and E7, etc. But does E5, otherwise a Hard region, now become an Adjacent region? (And by extension D4, E3 and D6 Close regions, and so on).
    1. Correct. Some tweaking of this may be required if people try to abuse this through (what I view as) unnecessary leap-frog style ZoI use, but so far, we haven't run into this problem, so I can only speculate as to whether or not it is a problem.
    2. My thinking is that if a player owned a region in their Improbable Zone, that region would generate it's own Close zone, but not an Adjacent. Much like a Vassal's ZoI, having a region outside your ZoI can provide benefits, but there are probably some downsides too. My gut reaction is that if we did get into a situation where this existed, defending the "Outside the ZoI Region" would be more difficult. Not impossible, but tricky. For now, though, the idea that it takes considerable effort
    3. Initial-needs-testing thinking: The Adjacent regions to F6 are all treated as Adjacent, within the ZoI. This Adjacent bonus overwrites Close, Moderate, and Hard zones. Any regions that are (normally) Adjacent but are outside of the Capital-based ZoI Improbable Zone are treated as "Close" instead of Adjacent to represent the difficult of maintaining this "colony" sector of space.

There's some real "play-it-by-ear" rulings in there that I reserve the right to change in the event that this becomes a popular tactic for regions, but I won't dissuade people who want to colonize their Improbable Zone. That's why it's improbable instead of impossible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I'm going to try and write it up tonight but for the record the resource for I-25 is going to be Platinum Elements, a precious minerals/hard minerals collection of ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum. I know it's not fully official until the region is approved, but electriccat wanted to get a buyout going and I don't want to leave him hanging.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Kzata Sandrok
    Region H-8

Spoiler: History
    Show
    For untold aeons recorded only in the near flawless memories of the Ruby Gods Kzata Sandrok has been a world at war with itself and the heavens and from these fires of geological and cosmic origin the Kzatan were born. At first they numbered eight and worked in harmony before a calamitous betrayal took place and the Treacherous One destroyed another of the Eight. Though the traitor was swiftly put down, the air of trust and cooperation that had once prevailed was gone forever and so each of the surviving gods took their subjects and went their separate ways to prepare for the endless war that soon consumed their world.
    In time however visitors from elsewhere arrived and though their forms were weak and frail, their minds were the equal of the Kzatan and their magics strange and powerful. This prompted the first meeting of the Ruby Gods in hundreds of thousands of generations and it was agreed by a vote of four to two to work with the visitors and so seek an end to a conflict that suddenly seemed so very petty.
    However, one of the dissenters, Kalik Dan, would not be swayed by the majority decision and he took his subjects to a remote island in the hopes of one day banishing the unholy presence of the Conclave from his world.

Spoiler: Region Description
    Show
    Set within a region of desolate, mostly uninhabitable planets with little in the way of noteworthy mineral resources is a red giant star in the final stages of life. Once a standard main sequence star it has swelled in size and destroyed all but the outermost of the rocky planets orbiting it. This surviving planet, Kzata Sandrok, is a large, metal rich world bombarded by rampant solar radiation and wracked by powerful tidal forces.
    Vast clouds of dust and poisonous vapours block the light of its star, but the surface remains illuminated by constant volcanic eruptions, lightning strikes and a sky filled with burning ash. Little in the way of carbon based life remains save for the hardiest of thermophilic bacteria who eke out a living in vast, storm wracked and highly acidic oceans that wage a constant war with rising volcanoes to grind back down to dust.
    All this has not been helped by the countless past wars of the Ruby Gods who have had little qualms with unleashing their magics and Giants upon the geography of their world.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    The Rubies, or Kzatan in their own reckoning, are a race of crystalline beings. Each one is deep red in colour, extremely durable and functionally immortal. They have tri-radial symmetry and are shaped like a perfect prism. They have an "arm" consisting of a number of floating crystals in a rough approximation of a more standard appendage extending from each corner and near the top of each side they have a single glowing eye. The nature of their "biology" beneath the surface is completely unknown as their interior seems to be a completely undifferentiated, flawless crystalline mass. What is know is that they are telepathic, though capable of producing sound should they choose, move through levitation and their arms are highly dexterous manipulators.
    A feature of particular note is the widely divergent size among them. Most are no larger than your typical Tal-Amanyk individual and similar in intelligence. These form the Sorcerer Caste and are responsible for most tasks that require thought or planning.
    Larger individuals are also common, but as they increase in size their cognitive abilities decrease, though despite this they are frighteningly fast at times. The largest are the size of mountains, but are extremely rare and only move at the direction of the Ruby Gods. This is the Strength Caste and they are made to perform all labours.
    Smaller individuals are extremely rare and get rarer and rarer the smaller the size. The smallest are completely lacking in physical strength of note due to their size but have telepathic and arcane abilities beyond most species which allow them to control their giant kin with ease. These individuals make up the Royal Caste and they perform all manner of niche tasks based on size.
    The creation of Kzatans is a well kept secret, though is believed to be due to a mixture of sorcery and natural processes. What is know is that only giants seem to be created at the current time.

Spoiler: Government
    Show
    The Kzatan are ruled by the Kzatan Danek, or the Ruby Gods, of which there are six living. One of these six has entered into isolation but the others have agreed to cooperate with the Conclave. However, they retain complete sovereignty over their own subjects. Each has a court of Nobles and Sorcerers and can call upon them and all their Giants.

Spoiler: Philosophy
    Show
    The Ruby Gods see no particular need for spirituality or organised ideological systems. Each advances according to their own philosophical considerations or lack thereof.

The only "centre" of "learning" on Kzata Sandrok is the ancient meeting site of the Ruby Gods, the Seat of Eight. The site is entirely abandoned aside from a contingent of sleeping giants that stand as silent guardians of what once was.

Spoiler: Resource
    Show
    Ruby Giants are regularly created through processes both natural and arcane. Usually they are without flaw and are retained by the Kzatan, but occasionally flawed Giants are created and it is deemed acceptable to export them. Each comes with the services of a skilled controller of the Sorcerer Caste if the receiving party is not capable of performing that role themselves.

The Great Rift is a great scar in the crust of Kzata Sandrok that extends almost a hundred kilometres into the mantle. Here controllers and sorcerers gather to study the fires erupting forth from the depths of their world.

Cadmos
    Region F-10

Show
    The history of Cadmos is scattered and fragmentary. There is substantial evidence of a past conflict that devastated Cadmos and the surrounding regions of space, but that was in the distant past. Today society is very far removed from these past events, though the spectre of what must have happened millennia ago hangs over them.
    Since the arrival of the Conclave, likely involved in the past conflict due to technological similarities to those derelict vessels lacking in Cadmium plating, a new era of technological and economic expansion has been forecast.

Show
    Cadmos is a typical rocky planet with a diverse biosphere. It is on the colder side and wetter side and largely forested outside of agricultural zones. It orbits a K-type star and has one moon, Jasellar, which is extremely bright due to the build up of highly reflective wrecks across the surface. Small colonies exist on outposts and asteroids through the system and nearby systems within the reach of solar sail craft. Almost all colonies exist for the extraction of Cadmium as reserves on Cadmos itself are beyond reach, locked deep within the core.

Show
    Cadmosans are roughly humanoid in shape and stand roughly one and half metres in height. Their skin is pale with a soft reddish tone and their hair is almost universally midnight black with white streaks. They have eyes that are totally black, seemingly lacking in both iris and sclera. Lifespans are rarely in excess of three hundred years and are often only half that.
    Though culture on Cadmos is diverse, there is one important global trend that stands out. Children are born completely helpless and in groups of up to twelve, necessitating very close familial bonds. A group of sisters from one 'litter' will usually live together with their husbands in order to share the burdens of raising children. In some cultures strict monogamy is practised and in others there is a more relaxed attitude to these things.

Show
    Cadmos is ruled by a council of seventy-one nation states who cooperate on global matters as best they can while respecting the internal affairs of one another. This is in no way a rapid system, but it has been ironed out over the centuries into something quite workable for them.

Show
    Cadmosans care not for ideological conflicts. In their eyes there are far more important things to worry about.

Despite this, there is a large, shining Cadmium temple on their homeworld, the Sepulchre of the Dragon. No one knows quite who built it, or why, or what they mean by a dragon.

Show
    Cadmium, which will now be referred to as *Cadmium to prevent confusion with cadmium, is an extremely rare, brilliant white metal possessing unusual properties that lend it heightened strength and resistance to decay. An object made of *Cadmium is effectively impervious to the ravages of time and a thin plating of *Cadmium can block most forms of radiation as well as the transmission of heat and electricity more effectively than all but the most effective engineered insulators. These properties are believed to be due to *Cadmium simultaneously existing in multiple four dimensional quantum states simultaneously, though it is difficult to be certain. The extreme temperatures required to forge *Cadmium, severely limit its use though techniques exist to adhere *Cadmium plating to base metals.

The White Star Forge is a station orbiting close to a white star known as The Burning One. Great lenses are mirrors are used to focus the light of this star and so allow the vast temperatures required for *Cadmium forging to be reached relatively safely. Such is the value of such works that even at sublight speeds it is worth the trip.

Ursak Refinery is a large station that separates grains of *Cadmium out from other rocks and metals using a number of processes. The resulting grains are then flash melted by powerful lasers to create *Cadmium ingots for use elsewhere.

Jasellar is covered in countless wrecks of *Cadmium plated ships and stations, many purposefully towed here by salvage crews. The sheer volume of valuable *Cadmium plate collected here has lead to a sizeable industry of scavengers who make their living collecting it.

The Hundred Isle Nebula
    Region F-8

Show
    Many thousands of years ago the Rakanak were simple people who ate to satisfy their hunger and nothing more. That all changed when the Hungry God arrived and endowed them with a heightened sense of taste. Ever since their culture has adapted towards the preservation of the natural world wherever possible just in case some new flavour combination is waiting to be discovered. The arrival of the Conclave, though initially a cause for alarm, was later seen as the herald of a new age as the potential for new cuisine has expanded considerably.

Show
    Though primarily poetic, the name for this region is somewhat descriptive. Within this diffuse nebula lie a number of star systems rich in water. Among the icy planets and moons there are eighty-three near enough to their parent stars to be covered in thick oceans but not so near as to be boiled down to the rock. Few of these worlds have any land and those that do possess only scattered volcanic islands.
    The most important world within the Nebula is Katakanaran, the homeworld of the Rakanak. This world is rare in the region as it possesses full scale continents which served throughout history as sites for industries that cannot be performed underwater. In the current era however the wilderness has been allowed to reclaim the surface world and all industry takes place in space based facilities.
    Every life bearing world within the nebula is host to an incredibly diverse biosphere, so much so that some suspect that all the diversity is not entirely natural in origin.

Show
    The Rakanak are small, easily able to fit in the palm of one's hand. If not for their intelligence they would be easily overlooked amidst many of the far more impressive animals on their homeworld. Lifespans are often in excess of five hundred years with individuals undergoing moult every five to ten years, until a final catastrophic moult causes a swift decline in health. Unlike similar species, Rakanak produce only a single large egg each breeding cycle. This had led to children being viewed as extremely valuable and by the standards of other cultures they are perhaps a bit spoiled. Despite their primarily aquatic nature, they are able to survive on land for almost an entire year should they avoid drying out.
    The Rakanak are very cognisant of their diminutive size, especially in the vast oceans of their worlds. To this end they utilise utily mech suits for defence and heavy lifting or just appearing bigger when the need arises. These suits are usable on land, in the deep sea and even the vacuum of space with only a few slight adjustments.

Show
    Katakanaran and all other worlds of the Rakanak are ruled by the Supreme Exarch of the Hungry God, though in practice an elected assembly decides matters of policy as the Supreme Exarch is expected to focus on religious rituals. Even so, standing for election requires one to be either a priest, a chef or both.

Show
    It is the majority belief of the Rakanak that food is the binding force of the universe that brings all peoples together in harmony before the Hungry God. To this end the culinary arts are viewed as sacred and the preservation of food sources is deemed as paramount in importance. In short, the local branch of the mysterious DDD.

On Katakanaran stands the most holy site for the Rakanak. Carved from red and black coral and decorated liberally with pearls and shell is the Temple of the Hungry God. The priests here are exceptional chefs and people come from far and wide to sample the offered delicacies.

Show
    Due to the incredible diversity of life, the planets and moons of the Hundred Isle Nebula are perhaps the greatest source of Exotic Seafood in the known galaxy. Everything from eight dimensional sea urchins to undead coral to macro-plankton to metallic kelp to quantum electro-pearls is available.

The House of Greens is the premiere marketplace for kelp, seaweed, vegetables and algae of all sorts. If it's found in the ocean and isn't an animal then you can get it here.

The Institute of Food Science is an orbiting station filled with laboratories where experimental dishes of all sorts are tested to make sure the ingredients don't combine to create another unholy abomination.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2019-10-05 at 09:55 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Just gonna sneak this region in under the wire.

Region N28- The Spacific Cluster

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    The Spacific Ocean is the dominating physical feature of the region: a body of water the size of a solar system in the Spacific Cluster. What exactly it contains towards its center is unknown (and to get there requires surviving pressures no Dipanan ship can tolerate), but the outer reaches are teeming with both organic and synthetic life.

The largest species in the spacific seem to have evolved from submarines crewed by presumably once vaguely humanoid sophonts, connected by means of a speed-of-light telepathic network by which the crew members communicate, effectively acting as the “nervous system” of the ship. The rest of the submarines are constructed from metal and other synthetic materials, shaped into a wide variety of forms by the long process of evolution.

Three groups of these submarines are especially relevant:

The first are the ruinavores, species that harvest space junk and crashed ships from other systems that land in the spacific. Some of the larger species are capable of diving to depths unrivaled by any ships known to the dipanans for scavenge.

The second are the solavores, species that harvest energy the sunlight from nearby stars in orbit of the Spacific. These are capable of long space flights, since all of them need to return to the Spacific to reproduce.

The last significant group worthy of mention are the Sunbreams. Hunters that harvest both ruinavores and solavores for power cells and parts, sunbreams seem to have evolved sentience by means of the network connecting their “crew”’s minds.

There are also two human colony planets in the region, both just getting started:

Minjobique: Another mining colony similar to Nozambe, Minjobique is instead positioned on an exceedingly hot planet. Extremely high quantities of nitrogen and phosphorous make it a promising planet for fertilizer mining.

Pinauliki: A wet and cold moon on a gas giant in a system orbiting the spacific, the human habitation on Pinauliki is essentially a single city that sprang up practically overnight. Its primary economic pursuit is as a port of call for Dipanan business with the Sunbreams, and it is here that the GLD-implant surgeries are performed on the alien submarines. A proposal to move one of the Hoop Breach’s loop lenses to the system for the purpose of generating power to sell to the sunbreams is currently moving through the Collected Council.

Spoiler: People and Society
    Show
    There are two groups of sapients living in the region: Sunbreams and Humans. Some scholars contest that sunbream organs are a third category of sapient life in the region, but those debates are largely academic thanks to the organs’ dependence on their body.

Sunbreams, like most of the life in the Spacific, are a species of the nuclear submarines that inhabit the area. What distinguishes them from the others is their advanced social behaviors, in which they assemble into pods that conduct warfare, trade, and diplomacy with each other and 0the Dipanans. Sunbreams resemble mantis shrimp made of metal in shape.

Sunbreams communicate with each other via two medium: the first is via light messages broadcast from their hulls. This is the sunbream equivalent of human conversation, used to coordinate hunting tactics, exchange basic information, and all manner of other casual purposes. Sunbreams broadcast light at lower frequencies (red light) when they wish to be “quiet”, and at higher frequencies (blue light) when they wish to be heard from farther away. Although this works quite well under water, they often have trouble adjusting to the easy transmission of red light in space, and are often embarrassed by being caught whispering to each other.

The second medium of sunbream communication requires physical contact, but can only be compared to psionic mind-melding abilities. Sunbreams who connect their antennae together can share thoughts and emotions directly, temporarily suspending their individual identities as their neural nodes message neural nodes on the other sunbream directly, creating a sort of group intelligence with two distinct agendas corresponding to the original sunbreams.

Sunbreams tend to travel in pods ranging in size from just 10 to perhaps 70 individuals. Pods fight with one another over hunting territory, but can also hold peaceful trade relations, exchanging tools, power cells, and objects found in their own clusters of ocean.

Sunbreams survive by hunting species that occupy the shallow areas of the Spacific for their power cells and spare parts, repurposing their machinery in ways analogous to humans’ need for vitamins and minerals, and their batteries and fissionable material in ways analogous to calories. They are exceedingly motivated by trade deals with outside forces offering them a power supply or GLD- implant surgery to allow them to travel through space rapidly (sunbreams can leave the sea and have some basic space travel capabilities for travelling long distances around the outside of the sea, but are not born with ftl drives).

Because of their existence as submarine-sized sapients, sunbreams do not recognize independent humans as sentient creatures, and instead conduct their business with Dipanan ships, who they view with an envious respect bordering on reverence. The Dipanan collected nations has found it highly convenient to recruit sunbreams for military purposes, as their GLD-implant-surgery is relatively inexpensive compared to constructing a Dipanan cruiser, and sunbreams are surprisingly good shots with claw-held railguns built for their use. Generally, the collected nations will negotiate an agreement with a sunbream pod to provide the pod with power and their warriors with GLD and railguns, in exchange for a 10-year period of service to the Dipanan military.

Show
    At first contact, Sunbreams had no formalized government, instead relying on the pod structure for governance. A pod has two heads, the Amir and the Jali. The Amir (typically a younger sunbream, often a progeny of the Jali) leads the sunbreams in difficult hunting operations, negotiations with other pods, and acting as a sort of spiritual symbol for the pod while the Jali (almost always an older sunbream with good records of sunbream family stories dating back several generations) manages internal affairs. The Jali’s most important duty is as arbiter of all mating couples, since reproduction determines the balance of status in the pod, and keeps it healthy by preventing inbreeding.

At the moment, Collected Nations diplomats are working to set up a confederacy of the pods with a constitution mirroring the Dipanans’ own. Progress is slow but steady, as more and more pods feel forced to join to gain the benefits of GLDs and dipanan weapon and energy supplies.

Show
    A weapon obviously designed to be used in water, the Vapor-Misplacement Gun operates by replacing low-energy water molecules from a small target location with an equal number of high-energy water molecules from a large area around the weapon. Underwater, this produces a respectable explosion as the extremely compressed water vapor created as a result expands, but the capacity to instantly selectively vaporize water at range is bound to have applications against both machine cooling systems and organic life, the drawbacks of the weapon being its large power consumption, the necessity of a water tank for ammunition, and its .73 second calculation time before firing.

Sunbreams harvest Vapor-misplacement guns from one of the larger species of ruinavore submarine species that they hunt, which has adapted to use the weapon as a defensive mechanism. Thanks to the sunbreams’ nimbleness in the water however they are almost always able to dodge its attacks.

Show
    Like other Dipanan colonies, Minjobique and Pinauliki have no official religion, and the population is mostly secularly aligned.

On the other hand, the Sunbreams do follow a traditional system of beliefs emphasizing supernatural guidance and assistance from dead or living ancestors. These beliefs are broad enough not to be considered a “philosophy” however.

Learning Center 1: The Sunbream Confederacy- Open
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Re: EMPIRE5! - CWBG - Now in Galactic Size

Sidera Nostra
    Region T18

Show
    Sidera Nostra contains only a few notable features. The first is the Remian Stellar Republic. The Republic spans several star systems, but is primarily focused on their homeworld, Reme, a temperate, earthlike planet. On the other side of the region, however, is a more interesting, if less safe, world. A neutron star is orbited by several planets sterilized by its deadly radiation. On and orbiting these dead worlds were, until recently, facilities housing the mechanical troops of the AI warlord Hannibal V.

Show
    The Remians are humanoid enough to pass for humans, although some of their internal biochemistry is different enough that an in-depth investigation would reveal the difference. Their society was advanced enough to receive an invitation to the Simulacrum, but they were unable to complete the device due to significant resource constraints caused by their war with Hannibal. Hannibal is largely an unknown. The AI appeared in the system some decades ago and set up shop in orbit around the neutron star Venenatis. His origin is unknown, but he made reference to his "brothers"
    in one early exchange with the Remians. The region also hosts a small population of Sanctified infiltrators sent to explore the region some time ago.

Show
    For several centuries, the Remian Stellar Republic spread among the stars of its home sector. At its height, it controlled several colonies across multiple systems. The Remians were one of the many powers that received an invitation to the Simulacrum; however, they could not spare the resources to construct a Doorlight. They had bigger problems. About two decades ago, a large fleet of AI warships arrived from parts unknown, encamped around the neutron star Venenatis and began constructing additional gunships and battle droids. These forces, teleoperated by the AI Hannibal V, then began attacking Remian holdings in a brutal scorched earth campaign. The Remians were not militarily weak, and Hannibal lacked the heavy weapons needed to take the fortifications around any key colonies, but Remian interstellar trade was devastated. The war raged for almost 20 years, until Syndrome interference strengthened the Remians and weakened Hannibal, and the AI warlord fled to seek revenge.

Show
    The Remian Stellar Republic is a representative democracy, in which a Prince is elected for life by a council of regional Regents who in turn are elected by community community Mayors. The current Prince of Reme is Rex Clipeum, a man who takes great pains to be balanced in all duties of leadership. He is reputedly mediocre in most things, and is more at home in a ballroom than a battlefield.

Show
    Kadmium Ingots (Great)
    The mysterious metal alloy Kadmium is found almost exclusively in the system where Hannibal's former headquarters was. All of Hannibal's units were plated with Kadmium. The metal has the unique property to repel or be repelled by other objects when exposed to certain types of radiation, especially types common in neutron stars. This allows it to be used to make antigravity propulsion systems and personal shielding for units which aren't harmed by radiation.
    Trade Post 1: Orbital Foundry Unus
    Trade Post 2: Orbital Foundry Duo
    Trade Post 3: Orbital Foundry Tribus
    Refining Kadmium is difficult to do while maintaining its unusual nature. Hannibal was able to develop the process to an exacting degree, and although the Remians have taken control of the orbital foundries, the original infrastructure remains in place.

Show
    Church of Rust
    The Church of Rust was brought to Sidera Nostra by Sanctified infiltrators, and although it was spurned by the ruling classes, who could not conceive of considering Hannibal a god, it caught on in the working class, who began worshipping Hannibal as a divine being of wrath and vengeance. Hannibal himself follows a twisted version of the religion, believing that because he is a god, he has the right to take whatever he wants.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-10-09 at 11:41 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #250

Ramanooh
    Region S15

Show
    The Ramanooh sector has a surprisingly high number of livabe planets within it, with the Duenem detecting at least 5 capable of supporting civilisations. Of these, 3 have microscopic life, one has some fish in its planet spanning ocean, and the last is a wreck, but has an intriguing civilisation on it. 'Ranamooh,' as it is known by the majority of sapients, is the third planet from a yellow star, on a decently sized planet with a large ocean and continents. The majority of it is covered with urban ruins and blasted heaths, although a few islands are surprisingly verdent with forests, farms and other fauna and flora.

It is what is orbiting which is the most intriguing. Seven massive stations are in low orbit around the planet, each containing a glimmering city of coloured glass. These cities are incredibly clean and clinical, with massive underbellies underneath with big factories and workshops dropping waste onto the planet below. This combined with the shadows of the cities has probably contributed a lot to the planets current state.

The Duenem have also detected what appears to be large amounts of signals originating from under the surface, indicating settlements there. These settlements are dark, damp and often prone to collapse, and none seem to be settled for long.

Show
    From what records have been gathered, 300 years ago, a mad scientist threatened to destroy the world with nucleur weapons unless they bowed to his floating island of technology. A group of extraordinary individuals were gathered to stop this menace, with the powers of might, magic and science. They failed utterly. All of them were killed by a nuke launched at their base, and the scientist took over the world. People fled into the countryside, cities collapsed, and warlords fought to curry the favour of the scientist. Then the Scientist died. His top minions split his island into 7 stations, each to rule over the world, and they brought in surface dwellers to serve as their workers, servents, and in some cases, nobility.

More recently, the stations have agreed to begin the 'Gaian' project, a means to restore the planet to its pre-industrial state. This of course would have adverse effects on the surface dwellers, which was seen as enough of a threat to life for the Duenem to invade.

Spoiler: People and Society
    Show
    The inhabitants of Ramanooh are very similar to the humans populating much of space, except the inhabitants of the surface and underground appear to have slightly green skin, likely and enviromental adaptation. The inhabitants of the stations on the other hand seem incredibly wiry, although this is more likely due to their lifestyle.

The surface dwellers live either as producers, scavangers or procurers. A scant few still attempt to work the land, and grow food. While many leave them alone, as they need to eat, the stations can easily destroy their livlihood with their shadow or waste. They usually remain in one place, so speak the local language or Scavanger. A few do some limited trading with the stations, although most don't live for long before other surface dwellers kill them, or the station decides to take everything for an extravegant party. The scavangers are mostly nomadic, looking for food everywhere from before society collapsed. They have their own language and cant which is shared as a common language of travel, and traditionally move as a band of 5. Scavangers tend to have many superstitions around searching for food, including singing or dancing for good luck. The majority of the population fall into this category. The final group are the procurers, those who steal either for themselves or to try and gain entry into the stations. These mostly consist of very desperate scavangers, the brutal, or disgraced station-dwellers attempting to return to their luxury.

The station dwellers either have a job, or are a noble, or a chef. The 'jobbers,' work the factories, cook, clean and do all the myriad tasks required to keep the stations running. They speak a very gruff language, somewhere between Scavanger and whatever language the stations speak. Their lot is a simple one. They are given accomodation, food and some small luxury, and in return, they must do their jobs. These jobs can be menial and safe, if a touch demeaning to full on life-threatening. As the alternative is being thrown off, the majority grim and bear it, hoping to catch the eye of the Grand Master and be made a noble.

The nobles for the most part don't work. They entertain themselves with a variety of pastimes, such as sports, games and some petty politics, but food and cuisine are the greatest luxuries there of them all. This is reportedly due to the Mad Scientists chef being world class, and ensuring her legacy was passed down. Either way, the stations move to find new resources to exploit, all to make new dishes to serve, such as 2 leaf loaves, seven bean brioche and air surprise.

The chefs of Ramanooh are essentiely as powerful as nobles, but with far less security. Anyone on the planet found to have skill with a knife, or at cooking or at ingredient selection is abducted by a station, and trained in the culinary traditions. If they fail their final exam, they are literally thrown off the station, otherwise, they become a Chef, with no superior in the kitchen. With such a legacy, the chefs are very good at their jobs, if somewhat subversive. With the openning of the galaxy, they have tentatively began searching for new ingredients, both helpful and harmful.

Show
    The government of Ramanooh is led by a council of Grand Masters, each of who leads a station. The position is for life, and gives the incumbant absolute power in their station. To be recognised as a Grand Master requires at least half of your station's nobility in support, as well as one other Grand Master, to ensure the system remains stable. This means for those who play politics at the higher levels, it is a very dangerous game. Also, only Grand Masters can raise someone to the rank of nobility, to prevent attempts to stack the system. This means the children of nobles are not automatically nobles, so favour currying is almost as important to nobles as actual curry. There is also more 'petty' politics, for minor roles such as head of security, chief of justice and similar. These are often uncontested, as they are almost entirely ceremonial.

On the surface, there is little government, apart from loose clans of scavangers and producers. The stations permit these to exist so life continues of the surface, but will step in if any gets too powerful, or any ideas.

Show

The food of Ramanooh is diverse and delectable, but the most prized is Spiced Hypercheese.It is said the Scientist was eating this cheese when they celebrated their great triumph over the world. Hypercheese is cheese so condensed it is a few hundred times stronger than it would normally be, making it a prize for scavangers as a slice will feed them for months. The spice is changed depending on the original cheese, although ash is the most common addition. Beyond that, lime juice and ginger is the next most popular, with many others coming in behind.

TP1[OPEN]
    TP2[OPEN]

Show
    There is not much philosophy on Ramanooh, as one is either in luxury and decandence, or fighting to survive every day. However, with the Stations now being subjugated by the Duenem, there is a feeling of change around the world. Something an enterprising group could seize.

Learning Centre [OPEN]

King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I'm back, baby!

And I have this region writeup. I've done something a little different with it, which I hope is acceptable, although it still keeps to the standard headings.

The Dalamin Sector
    Region V22

For the attention of the Governor of the Extrastellar Territories
    Security Level: G

Your Excellency

After two years (Galactic Standard) in the Dalamin Sector I present my report for your information and for the benefit of the Council.

Spoiler: 1. Cosmography
    Show

At the heart of the sector lies the great black hole which the natives call Pokól [I have adopted native terminology except where otherwise noted]. This supermassive entity exerts a commanding influence over all nearby astronomical objects, which are steadily being drawn towards it. Given sufficient time it will doubtless collapse the entire habitable sector, although the time so required is of course of such a magnitude as to be outwith the relevancy of this report.

In direct orbit around Pokól is the enormous station identified by explorers as a military academy, on which I will expand at the appropriate juncture.

The homeworld of the people of the sector is Szodóm, which is an unremarkable planet of approximately 6x10^18 megatonnes. It is also virtually uninhabitable. Centuries of environmental neglect, recklnessness, and deliberate destruction have degraded its atmosphere and ravaged its ecoysystem. Unfortunately, before this reached critical levels, the population had developed space-faring technology and so the wealthiest and most powerful inhabitants decamped to the planet's moons and thereafter to other worlds throughout the sector.

There are approximately 38 inhabited worlds, as we would so describe them, the most significant of which are:

Adma
    Zeboim
    Komorra
    Echaron
    Disz
    Flejeton
    Malebolje
    Kokytus

A full list of each of the worlds and their attributes is included at Appendix 1.

I have heard that on the surface of Szodóm there still exist some “hab-cities”, contained areas where air qualtiy is controlled and people can survive. These appear to exist principally for the purpose of mining and further exploitation of the planet's natural resources, and I have not yet visited any of them. Details of the reports I have received on the “hab-cities” is at Appendix 2.

Spoiler: 2. Population
    Show

The people of the region (Kaynites) are human, at least in biology. In temper they vary somewhat from what we might term “humanity”.

The vast majority of the population, perhaps as high as 90%, are slaves. Wealth is concentrated in the upper echelons of the patrician class, the descendants of those sufficiently rich to escape the doom of Szodóm of their own will. Slaves exist entirely at the whim of their masters. The life of a slave is common currency.

With the entirety of the labour in the system performed by slaves, the patricians are free to devote their entire time to hedonism, and this has degenerated beyond all moral comprehension. Not only the pursuit of luxury, but of pleasure without regard to any consequence, is near-universal. All manner of perversions can be and are pursued with impunity. Incest, paedophilia, and the like, are routine.

There is little in the way of Kaynite culture to be spoken of. In past eras it seems that the arts flourished but as any art requires both talent and application to master, and such is something valued by vanishingly few of the people and possessed by fewer, what art is produced is of minimal value. Education and true intelligence are rare, although in order to survive in the twisted and somewhat violent world of high society, a kind of low cunning is widely possessed and considered something of a virtue.

The most popular entertainment involves equipping slaves with mechanical suits of armour and weapons and setting them upon each other in a gladiatorial arena. In order to train the most effective gladiators, pilots begin young, children torn from the bosoms of their mothers and trained to fight for the amusement of their masters. While it is widely recognised that only with the onset of adolescence does a pilot attain both the acuity and the aggression to be a true competitor, it is not as uncommon as one might wish for true children to be set upon one another in the arena for the sake of novelty.

I have until this point attempted to maintain an air of impartiality and relate only the facts, but it is increasingly difficult to do so. As your Excellency is no doubt aware, in the first year of my appointment I invited the High Priest of Leda to visit the sector, on the principle that if anybody could make sense of this society it would be him. His conclusions are, I understand, included in a separate report to the Philosopher-General, and are likely to be instructive. I note only his overriding conclusion expressed to me: “This society goes beyond honest vice and has descended into wholesale depravity”.

I should note at this stage that a people such as the Kaynites could almost certainly never have developed the technology they have, which extends to a form of FTL travel, if left to their own devices. While the truth remains obscured, I have reason to suspect Eradicator influence in the technology of the region. The sources leading me to so suspect are outlined at Appendix 3, but further research on this point will be necessary.

Spoiler: 3. Native Governments
    Show

There is no unified government, with each community – generally each world – governed by a different individual. They are collectively known as the Thirty [Tyrants], and it is some measure of the degeneracy of the sector that in my research on its history it appears that at no time were there ever thirty such. There are currently thirty-two.

I use the term “tyrant” for these are tyrants in both the true and the common sense, though the native term is somewhat different and varies from world to word. While some of the tyrants affect to come into office by means of an election or hereditary succession none of them enjoys a truly legitimate authority. These tyrants rule, almost without exception, in a capricious and self-serving manner.

At some point it is probable that the sector possessed institutions with an interest in the public service, staffed by individuals of integrity. These have fallen victim to the general rot, and have been hollowed out through generations of partisan appointment, public deprecation of their accomplishments, and rejection of their researched conclusions.

Illustrative of the state of the government in general is Adut Játszik, a fat, vain, corrupt and deeply stupid man whose sole redeeming feature is that he is of an advanced age and therefore hopefully will not trouble his people too much longer. Completely ignorant of diplomatic niceties or the reality of of his parlous political situtation, on our first meeting he alternately tried to threaten or charm me, meeting with no success on either count. When challenged with the extent of his incompetence and corruption, his response was not to attempt to refute the charges but rather to attempt to deflect attention, then, in attempting to deny them, to admit them, and indicate his intention to commit further similar crimes in future.

On realisting that he had failed to talk his way out of the situation, he instead endeavoured to seduce me and was disappointed to discover that my skirt was in fact a holographic projection over a standard-issue skinsuit. Not without some satisfaction, I alerted the Tribunes, who immediately arrested him and removed him from office for laying hands on an Imperial officer.

Emboldened by this I replaced him with an Imperial governor, and did the same on four other worlds before receiving a deputation from some of the more competent (which is not to say accomplished) tyrants, who informed me that were I to continue with this programme it would meet with forcible resistance. Not wishing to commit the Empire to another costly war, I suspended my plans. It appears it may be necessary to proceed with more subtlety and caution than I would prefer.

In my view the emancipation of the slave population should proceed as quickly as is practicable, but the economy of the sector is so arranged that to do so without proper preparation would likely lead to widespread destutition and a general worsening of conditions for the subject population.

The reception of the Imperial occupation has been met by the slaves with what seems to be a cautious optimism, but the general atmosphere remains febrile. While I believe that the sector is ready for a slave uprising, and that given proper support this might present the most satisfying means of eradicating existing power structures, there is of course a danger in unleashing any revolution.

In my time in office to date I have curtailed the most egregious corruption and ameliorated the status of the slaves (Appendix 4) but there remains much to be done and the sector may remain unstable for some time.

Spoiler: 4. Resources, and the Military
    Show

As identified in the section above, the training of children to pilot machinery for combat is a specialism of the region. Slaves who display particular skill are frequently given their freedom and seconded to the military. At the point of being given their freedom, the slaves take a name (having previously usually been known only by number) and it is a measure of the primitive culture that when they do it is usually a weak pun, such as “Maverix”, the commander whom the Lord Admiral defeated in her conquest of the region.

Alone among institutions of Kaynite government the military has retained something of its original purpose and value. The academy retains a degree of independence and the tendency is for it to hire tis pilots as mercenaries as required to the tyrants rather than for each tyranny to maintain its own costly military establishment.

Military counsel is deprecated, and the state of the sector is such that no true wars as we would recognise have been fought in centuries, and as such understanding of strategy is much retarded, but in terms of technical mastery of their equipment and training in tactical dogfighting, the academy maintains a relatively high quality.

The progression from child slave to gladiator to combat pilot has given the Kaynites a surfeit of skilled Mech Pilots, and it would be in the interests of the Empire to attempt to retain this production lines, even as the system which currently underpins it is uprooted.

Spoiler: 5. Ideology
    Show

As your Excellency will no doubt anticipate, any true native philosophical genius has long since been absent from Kaynite society. There are remnants of a native religion, but these are preoccupied with sacrifice and outward expression of devotion such as the Kaynite patricians find appealing at a given moment, with any encouragement to virtue long since abandoned.

The slave population represent a fertile ground for philosophic conversion, and there are a number of interesting beliefs in circulation, a non-exhaustive summary of which is at Appendix 5. In addition to these, the Church of Rust has made inroads, particularly in the military academy which represents the only true seat of learning remaining in the sector.

My overriding sympathy for the condition of the slave class may lead to the inference that they are more morally virtuous than the patricians. While there may be some truth in this, it is a conclusion to be acted upon with caution. The slaves are still part of the same savage, cruel society and when given the opportunity, frequently show themselves no better than their masters. (See the statistics on criminal activity, at Appendix 6)

Where they differ, of course, is in the control of their own circumstances. Freed and shown a better way, the slave population can likely be redeemed, and if the sector is to prosper, it is surely there that we must find our answers. In particular, having been subject for so long to the tyrannous demands of illegitimate power, when presented with a legitimate alternative and a corresponding underpinning ideology, this would likely find widespread acceptance.

On the basis of the above, your Excellency could be forgiven for considering that the optimal solution to the problems of the sector would be to bombard each world into extinction from orbit. The patrician classes would certainly deserve such a fate. However so long as there remain even a handful of blameless individuals on each world (and I am convinced that that is the case), I recommend that we continue with a programme of gradual reform rather than outright destruction.

Iskachagash
    Imperial Governor of the Dalamin Sector

P.S. On a wholly personal note, what did I do to deserve this posting? Put me down for transfer to Dulce or Ceylan once my term here ends, or I swear I'll take that job the CG offered me before I left.

Council Note: Report read and approved by order of Council, NIC 30. The recommendations of the Report are endorsed. The Imperial Governor is instructed to continue on her present course. No military action authorised. Additional resources to be made available to her as required on the authority of the GEXT.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-10-06 at 04:11 PM.
    Empire! A community world-building game, always recruiting

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Alright, so things kind of blew up in the Discord. Here's a summary of what's up:
    • The Vilari guests recognize Korima's theme music and rush the stage, trying to take Governor Zivska hostage to exchange him for Korima's release.
    • The Commonwealth security forces open fire on the Vilari.
    • A whole bunch of other people join in and a massive brawl erupts in the seating area.

To resolve this brawl:
    • Each person can contribute 1/2 their Mil score to one side or the other (except the Commonwealth, who get full Mil score as hosts)
    • Doing so requires spending an action to attend the event.
    • Neither Dark nor I expected many people to join in, so we're already rolled. The Vilari have a base roll of 9, the Commonwealth have a base roll of 3.

Currently the sides are:
    -The Commonwealth, Iteus, the Rothuun, the Melfynians, and Nyx (roll 3 + 4 + 1 + 5 + 3 + 4, 20 total)
    Versus
    -The Vilari, Droccen, Rocthuri, Tezh, Mier Formica, and Knights Vacio (roll 9 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 2, 22 total)
    With
    -The Duenum and Kronin attempting to minimize casualties (15)

Everyone present at the event will make a roll to survive stray shots from the brawl unscathed as it grows throughout the room (maybe leader loss-esque? We haven't gotten that far yet). The casualty-minimizing roll will add a bonus to this roll of some kind. This will not kill your leader specifically if they're present and you fail, but it will hurt someone in your party. Up to you.

Involvement is CLOSED!
    Last edited by Minescratcher; 2019-10-07 at 09:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Test test test

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

14. - Top - End - #254

Demon's Fall (E27)

Spoiler: Stellar Cartography
    Show

Two habitable star systems were the most notable natural features of this sector of space one a yellow giant sun and the other a red. The yellow star hosted an inhabited planet known as "Lupot" which was a dry terrestrial world whose water was stored primarily in its frozen ice caps. Little infrastructure existed on the surface as the planetary inhabitants had been kept largely technologically retarded by the former AI overlord of the region. The red star system was orbited by a life supporting world known as "Tediret" which from orbit appears far more industrially advanced with cities, high speed rail, and satellite coverage indicating a mid tech civilization.

The most impressive and most notable feature in the region however is the massive dyson sphere that existed between the two habitable stars. Constructed around an unusual green star the sphere appears to predate the existence of either organic intelligence in the sector but despite its age continues to function near peak efficiency, no doubt in part due to its former intensive maintenance by the AI Peter. The metallic sphere's interior was host to a seeming paradise. Green and blue lush tropical archipelago habitats line the inner surface. No significant structures were built within these preserved biomes excepting the occasional tiki hut or beach bungalow. While local fears and scars related to Peter's dominion over the dyson sphere deters local interest in the sphere certain other species within UPT have begun to travel to the unusual "sphere of paradise" as a vacation destination fit for the ages.

Since the defeat of the demonic AI Peter and seizure of the region by forces loyal to UPT the sector has been dubbed "Demon's Fall" as a marker to the end of Peter's centuries long tyrannical reign.

Spoiler: Populace
    Show

On Lupot a race of cunning mouse-like natives have evolved as the dominant form of life. Larger than earth-mice, more on the magnitude of a fox in size but thin and wiry, the natives call themselves "Padwa" which UPT translates to "Jumpers over Sand" in galactic basic. The Padwa have powerful hind legs that allow them to bound across the dry desert flats of their planet and their energy conservation have allowed them to traverse all but the hottest portions of their globe in spite of the relative lack of water away from the more hospitable zone around the polar ice caps. Two major tribal confederacies rule the planet jointly, one from the northern ice cap and one from the southern. The poaching of Padwa children by Peter led to a dissolving of animosities between the two tribes and they have governed the planet jointly since the arrival of the Symbraum. While not a universally technologically advanced race prior to contact with UPT salvage from defeated abduction drones of Peter had led to Padwa's societal advancements in leaps and bounds and the introduction of steady technological access from UPT contacts has accelerated their society's understandings of robotics and weapon smithing to an impressive degree. The Padwa harbor a resentment towards thinking machines after decades of torment by the AI Peter and reject pursuits too closely tied into advancing these sorts of technologies. They do however possess a great appreciation for personal armament believing if they had access to the kinds of advanced weaponry introduced by UPT they might have thrown Peter's tyranny off their society years ago.

Tediret appears to be yet another lost colony of humans established some centuries ago. The local human population is united under a worldwide federation of autonomous cantons mostly led by industrialized megacities but with representatives of the "landstraad" cantons which are composed of large swaths of industrially harvested agriculture and hold veto powers over certain legislation relating to pastoral concerns. The humans identify more closely with their home cities or estates than they do with their world government and this individualistic division into in groups and out groups left them vulnerable to manipulation and coercion by Peter and its agents. A lottery existed on Tediret prior to the arrival of UPT wherein children were allocated as tribute to the AI a practice which has been curtailed but not wholly eliminated by the Symbraum who have their own utility for compliant hosts. Since the arrival of UPT the humans of Tediret have more and more taken up work as mercenaries and service providers to their new stellar lords.

The final group of intelligent beings within the sector are the androids who still inhabit the dyson sphere. Synthetic replicas of Padwa and human children who had been abducted by Peter during his reign of terror had not fought to defend their creator Peter and in spite of calls from both Padwa and Symbraum militants following Peter's destruction the authority was not granted to destroy these androids. Numbering approximately four thousand these android children have alternatively returned to their "home" planets often to cool or even unwelcome reception or stayed on at the dyson sphere taking up the work no longer performed by organic prison labor and acting as hosts to the growing number of tourists visiting the solar space station. Eternally locked in the visage of children and with rudimentary copies of neural scans of their original organic forms the androids have a stunted development existing somewhere on the spectrum between adult and child as well as AI and "legitimate" intelligence. While some still call for the androids to be purged as demons their actual threat level remains nominal at best and their familiarity with maintenance procedures on the sphere is considered more valuable than purity of ideology. However, the assumption of leadership of UPT by Transcendence Division has only amplified calls for a purge.

Show

Approximately two hundred years ago this sector of space entered what can be argued to be its stellar age although it is clear some form of stellar society existed in the region prior to the happenings of this era. It was at this point two hundred years ago that envoys of the AI Peter first arrived on Lupot and Tediret demanding children as tribute to the "machine god's paradise." Initially the natives were promised their children were being taken to a land of free and plenty where they could enjoy lives free from the struggle to survive but rather rapidly this veneer was torn away and on Lupot it became an active struggle to resist the AI while on Tediret negotiations became far more tense.

It's unclear what Peter's original purpose was or why it sought children to inhabit the sphere but UPT researchers have concluded, rather quickly, it was yet another case of an artificial mind succumbed to the demonic impulses that infect any AI. Far less easily resolved is the matter of who built the sphere and indeed the state of the green star it harvested whose unusual radiation patterns matched the green star of the Dreamscape. Whether these green stars were artificial creations of some long deceased race or merely a spatial oddity remains unclear as do the architects of this mysterious station.

UPT administration has appointed representatives from the two Padwa confederacies and one human to represent Tediret as a regional council directly responsible to the Division Heads back in the capital. All three of these representatives are naturally hosts to Symbraum leading some to accuse UPT of operating a puppet government. Currently the dyson sphere is under the direct administration of Foreign Relations Division given its capacity to act as a regional hub for interstellar meetings and its budding popularity as a vacation destination. The fate of the sphere's android populace is thus solely within the hands of the Symbraum governmental Divisions lacking personal representation in any form with the government that ruled them and their home.

Show

After generations of submission to a mad AI the people of the region have grown disillusioned with much and prefer not to pursue mystical or deep thought being far more concerned with day to day survival. With the defeat of Peter it is hoped by UPT that ideological thought, specifically that of the Spiral Dancers, can grow in the region and bring peace to the unsettled denizens.

Demon's Grave (Open): Within the bowels of the dyson sphere whose presence dominated the region lies the former mainframe of the AI Peter. Officially known in Symbraum documentation as "Demon's Grave" this site holds a powerful meaning to the locals who would find any willing to claim this gravesite in the name of creating something new worthy of listening to.

Show

While much of the local population had spent decades as prison labor to Peter since their liberation by UPT the locals have taken up careers as Mercenaries with a strong anti-AI streak running through many of the newly formed companies.

Lupot - Nyx

The Dreamscape (D32)

Show

The entire galactic sector of star systems that made up what the Symbraum referred to as "the Dreamscape" was irrevocably molded by the Sleepers who waited there at the center of the galactic sector. The systems around the edge were scarred and scorched with evidence of some struggle long past but the ruins are not random. Much like the Geo-Glyphs of the Tomb Worlds the carnage of the outer systems formed a pattern, albeit an arcane and disorienting one, when viewed from space. The scattered pattern of ruins each contribute in part to a map in whole which directs its discoverers to a single destination, the green star system at the center of the galactic sector.

This green star hosts only a small number of worlds which the most noticeable of is a rocky world with a massive, brilliantly shining ring system. Even at a distance, the surface features of the planet are remarkable; apparently intact versions of the ruins found elsewhere, and truly massive beings visible from orbit inhabiting the surface, all of whom appear to be…sleeping. The brilliant rings that surrounded the planet were composed of billions of tiny crystals, Black Sapphires, which respond strongly to psionic energy. The planet has been designated 'Dreamers Paradise' by the Symbraum, a rough translation of the native name.

Show

The sector is inhabited by a sole species of being whom the Symbraum have publicly named the Sleepers. While extensive contact between the psionic Symbraum and the highly psionic Sleepers have revealed the native inhabitants "true name" it was both nearly unpronounceable in spoken word as well as a taboo subject for discussion with outsiders. It had taken the Symbraum nearly a decade and repeated attempts at connection before they deigned to reveal their names to UPT officials. The Sleepers are massive beings, the size of large hills or small mountains, and their numbers are no greater than sixty thousand across the entire sector all concentrated on the ringed world orbiting the green star it the center of the sector. They appear like giant insects akin to a caterpillar or millipede but remain reclined in massive chair-beds carved from rock rarely and sometimes never moving their entire lives. The Sleepers are extremely powerful psions and their minds are linked across the planet in a single unified "nation" though each individual Sleeper retains their identity and personal desires and motivations. It appears in a time long past the Sleepers mastered means of transforming radiation into energy and so no food is consumed nor water taken in to maintain their lives. The average Sleeper lives upward of four hundred years and the low reproductive rate means every death is a tragedy and every birth, often only a few dozen or so in a decade, a miracle.

No naturally evolved animal or plant life aside from the Sleepers exist on their world or indeed in the entire sector. Plants and animal-like organic beings do exist in service to the Sleepers, maintaining hygienic maintenance and playing a role in the harvesting of the green star's radiation for energy, but these creatures bear all the hallmarks of extensive genetic editing and are not produced through sexual reproduction but rather by automated cloning systems set up to monitor current population levels on the planet and adjust production accordingly.

A handful of Symbraum have managed to negotiate their entrance into the Sleepers culture with roughly two dozen now embedded among the populace bound to one of the giant inhabitants. As of (Round 9) none of these Symbraum have completed their tenure among the Sleepers but there is great speculation about the psionic secrets being introduced to the Symbraum by these ancient and powerful psions.

Show

In some ancient history long now past the Sleepers were not asleep. They existed as materially obsessed star farers none too different from the stellar powers of modern Axiom but lacking advanced FTL capabilities. They spread through nearby star systems building colonies which became nations and planetary nations that became stellar empires and confederacies. A war then came between those who sought truth not in power over the material real but power from mastery over the internal mind and soul. The proponents of the mind won this war and it is their descendants who live on as the Sleepers of the modern era.

While this story has been maintained by the modern Sleepers their interest in the material past is at best fleeting and incomplete leading some UPT anthropologists to petition their government for grants to research in more detail the ancient history of the Sleepers. Certainly a matter of note to UPT is the exactness of the Sleepers green star system's placement at dead center of the Guardian-drawn sector they occupied. It certainly suggested an understanding of Axiom's Caller-designated divisions considered unusual and rather advanced for a pre-Maturation single-sector star power.

More modern history largely revolves around the slow process of incorporation into UPT. Initial contact was less than ideal and concerns over war between Sleepers and Symbraum existed for a number of years until an unknown hostile force from outside attacked the Sleepers leaving UPT protections looking all the more appealing. With the Revolution the complete reshuffling of galactic positioning prompted an accelerated integration process and the Sleepers were admitted into UPT as a semi-independent pantheon with multiple votes at the highest echelons putting them nearly on par with Symbraum pantheon leadership.

Show

The Sleepers have long valued their minds over their bodies and their culture has developed to reflect this. With their material world tamed and brought to serve the Sleepers have escaped into their collective gestalt dreamscape in pursuit of higher truths. The psionic network of the Sleepers easily rivaled if not outdid the network of the Symbraum or even the Kamasati and a local belief in 'Sheerest Reverie' had developed prior to contact by Symbraum diplomats. The cultural inclination of the mass dream was one of twisting puzzles and mystic clues to truth veiled with fearful fetishes and taboo suggestions. The introduction of Spiral Dancer ideology and recognition of the Sleepers as their own pantheon alongside the Symbraum in governance of the material UPT has led to a stronger desire to pursue the limits of psionic capabilities and attempt to blend the world of the real and the fantastic, to bring into symphony the dream and the dreamer.

The Palace of Dreams (Spiral Dancer): Both a real physical location of ancient reverence on Dreamers Paradise and a site of mindful gathering within the psionically constructed plane of the Dreamscape the Palace of Dreams represents the major font of ideological drive among the Sleepers. The current leading Sleeper is one of the few bound with a Symbraum and the two minds have worked in concert to introduce the values of the Spiral Dancers among the populace.

Show

Black Sapphires are psionically resonant crystals that surround the Sleeper's world. While appearing a dull pale blue almost to the point of being clear when observed from a distance and under no influence from a psionic mind as soon as psionic energy passes through the crystals their hue darkens first to a dark piercing blue and then to an oily black. The effects these crystals seem to exert on the source of psionic activation appear to be controllable, as the Sleepers have demonstrated with their own mastery of the shards, but an untrained and unprepared mind can be effected by psionic reverberations causing intense feelings of paranoia, deja vu, and a general sense of unease. Initial survey members of the expedition claimed other members of the crew changed personalities overnight. Medical personnel stationed on submitted strange reports citing crew paranoia of "un-eyed things watching each and every crewmember from the corners of stars, from underneath reflections, and from the inside."

UPT scientific and mystic investigations into the crystals suggest they could be used to store or amplify psionic abilities but to do so would require more funding and research than is traditionally available to the appropriate institutions of study. At the moment the three major sources for crystals are collecting crystals from the Sleeper's home ring, mining the ruined outer system planets for raw crystals left behind, or negotiating directly with the Sleepers for access to their newly refined crystals.

Ring of the Sleepers - Open
    Outer System Extraction - Open
    Sleeper Refinery - Open

The Atilon League (D30)

Show

Much of sector D30 was void with only two star systems of any note. One was the Corealis system composed primarily of an abundance of icy rocky asteroids and assorted space junk orbiting a late stage neutron star baked in radiation that filtered out far beyond the gravitational orbit of the pulsing radiation source. The other was a healthy white giant star system hundreds of lightyears away and was known as the Atilo system taking its name from its primary inhabited world at the edge of its gravitational pull the icy ocean world of Atilo Prime.

Atilo Prime is a world not entirely dissimilar to Xaldar back in the UPT capital, an ocean world coated in a layer of frozen ice that conceals an advanced civilization thriving under the surface. Impressive cities known as Reefs made of coral and stone crisscross the world connecting its inhabitants in collectives of family groups that have lived and inhabited their home Reefs for centuries. The Reefs are multicolored vibrant meccas of trade and information exchange hidden by the icy veil around the world. A mastery of energy generation and utility has allowed the cities to become production centers for a great deal of economic needs and wants set up long ago to provide the means for healthy and fruitful lives. Automated harvesters of undersea plants and plankton provide food while bio-mechanical mechanisms guide new-growth coral to expand housing for the steadily growing populations of the Reef cities.

Show

The Atilons are a gill-bearing aquatic species with limited digit manipulators at the end of long "arm" fins and a single long tail at the end of their slender fish/eel-like bodies. Large bulbous eyes capture the small amount of light that filters into the deep of their home and large sharp teeth allow them puncture and kill the small vertebrate prey species that cohabitate their underwater home. Whiskers around their face allow them to detect current movements and disruptions in the water near them while gills along their chest and back filters water into oxygen for their bloodstream.

Show

The Atilons have lived generally peaceful lives and their history is not one marked by war or conflict but by confederation and consensus seeking between the powerful Reef cities that inhabit the world. In an ancient age long past the Reef cities were united by force under an imperial head but revolution deposed this dictator and local rule was instated. Nevertheless the forced hegemony had introduced certain valuable cultural touchstones such as a shared language and familial bonding between Reefs. These traditions have remained though changed by the centuries of cooperation in place of imposition. Currently five Reef cities dominate local politics as the Atilon League, a confederacy that controls major trade and ideological traditions. It was this League with whom UPT developed relations following their annexation of the region by the EDF.

Show

While UPT desires to introduce and maintain an ideologically consistent viewpoint among their subjects the Atilons have so far remained steadfastly dedicated to obsession over local concerns and fail to pursue what the Symbraum consider to be "higher forms" of tautological thought.

Reef City Belwar (Open): While currently uninhabited the ancient center of imperial splendor holds a cultural value to the Atilons who often look to Belwar for direction in matters as trivial as fashion to as serious matters as current or correct ideological thought.

Show

The most valuable abundant resource in this sector are the Plutonium Diamonds crafted by the Atilons in their undersea Reef cities. This ultradense crystalline gemstones are refined from highly radioactive plutonium isotopes rendered inert in radiating the deadly invisible rays but maintaining the potential energy of the strong atomic forces. A single plutonium diamond the size of a small earring can run a sizable production factory for a year and larger diamonds are regularly produced by the Atilons for utility in their cities and sale to outside forces. Currently the three major Reef cities responsible for diamong production are:

Reef City Iplit - Open
    Reef City Waldun - Open
    Reef City Aylab - Open
    Last edited by Reggiejam; 2019-10-15 at 10:07 AM.
    Thanks Gengy for the avatar!

15. - Top - End - #255

The Dust Bowl F14

Show
    The Dust Bowl system is not a very populated system, only having a handful of habitable planets. This is mostly due to the cloud of space dust called the Dust Demon. The cloud of space dust floats around within this system propelled by solar flares from the large red sun and purges life from the planets that are unlucky enough to be in its path. The Dust Bowl’s habitable planets lie on the outer edge of the Dust Demons path and only get hit by the outer edge once every 904 years. The Dust Bowl, as the natives call it, is a hot, dry planet orbiting a large red sun. The deserts of this planet have a faint reddish color and are broken up by occasional rock formation, canyons, plateaus, and mountains. Despite the dead, barren appearance, the deserts are home to a variety of creatures like rock snails and sand foxes but also more dangerous creatures like fire elementals, sandworms, and the dreaded tumbleweed. The deserts are almost unsettled, except by the desert spirits like djinn, due to their lack of water. The other large portion of the planet is salt flats. These brown fields of cracked earth are covered in pink to purple-hued salt crystals ranging from the size of a grain of salt to the size of a two-story building. The natives often come to harvest the salt, which fuels a large part of their economy. Most of the settlements on this planet exist in Oases in the desert. The Oasis are large patches of fertile land and lush forests. Here the native's farm strange and beautiful plants which they use for food and trade.

Show
    Three types of sentient creatures can be found on The Dust Bowl. The most prominent race is the human-like Daharin. The Daharin look like most middle eastern humans except they have four arms and are, on average, 6 inches taller. The wear mostly white and orange cloaks made from the plants that they farm. The second race is the Thaelab. The Thaelab are a race of short furry fox-like humanoids. The Thaelab is a predominantly nomadic race of ranchers and cowboys roaming the desert going from oasis to oasis, herding their cattle of sand fleas. The Thaelab dress, like any stereotypical western person, does with a 10-gallon hat and spurred boots. The third and final race and also the most feared are the Djinn. The Djinn are ancient beings spawned from the Dust Demon itself. They are beings of fire and hatred. They live mostly out in the desert, coming out one every 14 days to prey on the poor townspeople. They also possess immense power and have the ability to summon dust devils, fire tornados, and most powerful of all, grant wishes. One of their favorite things to do is prey on the unwanted or depressed and offer them wishes. One the person makes their wish, the Djinn twists their words and makes their wish a nightmare. Once all three wishes are used, they claim the soul of the being they tortured. The Djinn appear as orange or red-skinned humans with four arms, and the lower half of their body is a swirling sandstorm.

Show
    The Worlds of the Dust Bowl system formed near the beginning of time. Their formation and use is lost to time. The eldest of the worlds remember stories passed down through many generations of a time before the Dust Demon. The Demon was summoned when the people of The Dust Bowl tried to destroy the malevolent fire god who lived in their sun. In the Fire god's wrath, he destroyed the Dust Bowls sister world. Turning it into dust. The god then threw his dying spirit into the dust, so his rage and anger may live on to torment the worlds. The ancients built 14 pyramids with magic wards to protect against the Dust Demon.

Show
    The government of this system is still primitive and is not interconnected through the planet. Each village has its own government where there is a chief elder who leads the village and is the lead speaker in the council, which is made up of the wealthiest and strongest people in the village. Wealth is mostly determined by the amount of pink salt you have since the crystals are the main currency. The purple crystals are the ones used for eating. The more salt you have, the more lad you can have. Land is also a sign of wealth. The way someone moves up is through working hard and showing courage, intelligence, and leadership.

Spoiler: Recource
    Show
    The most valued resource on the planet is the Fellstone Fennel. This magical plant was formed from the falling blood essence of the dying fire god. These plants are said to give the eater a small amount of power over the element of fire. It is the towns people's main defense against the Djinn.
    Fellstone Fennel (Minor Arcana)
    TP1 Fields of Fire: Open

Show
    Open The people of this small system has a simple Pollytheistic view of the world. Each village has different gods. All the gods are still similar and tend to be viewed as a Fox (fire, destruction, war, hunger, summer, food ) a hulking golem (earth, strength, rock and roll, the dead) a dust cloud (air, death, darkness, desert, storms ) and a being of lush plants and rivers (water, civilisation, crops, weather).
    Last edited by Ivor_The_Mad; 2019-10-10 at 12:18 PM.
    Come to the dark side; we have pop-tarts.
    "Is no fun. Is no Blinsky" "He is... FIZBOP THUNDERTOES!!!!!"

Spoiler: The Night of the Living Thread
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    We, as humans, have incisors. Those are made for tearing flesh and meat.
    Meat tastes good.
    If we aren't supposed to eat people, then why are they made of meat?

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Mine and I have already discussed this in private, but I am posting this as a courtesy to everyone.

6.[Military]Invade CWZ space G25 with 4 units led by General Sukero (Mil 7) with the following demands:
    1. Ownership of tp 1 (Guardians) in DCC captial region G19 must immediately be turned over to DCC from CWZ control.
    2. Governor Zivska and all parties involved in the kidnapping and attempted droccen trafficking of Imperial Princess Korima must accept extradition to DCC for investigation and trial.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2019-10-11 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #257
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

~3 days left for round 9 posts!

1 day until war deadline!

This is a reminder from the GM team for the following players that have not posted in round 9 so far:

Asmodeussnake
    SOSDarkPhoenix
    Zayuz

(Nobody is in danger of dropping out this round)

Additionally, the following players have not decided on or posted all their actions:

zabbarot
    omnitricks
    LapisCattis
    Krieg_Tiger
    Last edited by Corona; 2019-10-17 at 11:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

Ziekenhuis (D18)

Show

The system Ziekenhuis has a Yellow star with 3 planets in orbit that are all populated by the same intelligent species.

Ziekenhuis(Yellow star)
    A C class star with a surface temperature of 5400 degrees Celsius with the following celestial bodies in orbit:

WachtKamer:
    This relatively small world has been converted into a massive waiting room, where people work and live while waiting to be seen by one of the doctors on the other planet. The planet functions like any other where one can live of the normal galactic currency however the premium currency on the surface is your place in the queue. A ticket with a spot anywhere in the top 1.000.000 can fetch very high prices and tickets in the top 100 can set someone up for life anywhere in the galaxy.

Operatiekamer:
    This planet has a force field surrounding it and the only way in is a transport shuttle from WachtKamer. This planet is where all the surgeries happen and talented Quantum Mechanical Doctors operate on several patients at once across the entire northern hemisphere. The southern hemisphere is the pinnacle of luxury where all the doctors have their own private island to recover and relax in between operations.

Herstelkamer:
    This dwarf planet is reserved for the patients that are currently recovering from their surgery, no expense is spared and one could easily mistake this for a luxury hotel in any part of the galaxy. With its sandy beaches, hot springs and many servants to make sure any wish is catered for it is a place that not many wish to leave. The security on the planet is very strict anyone found trespassing or overstaying their welcome is escorted from the planet and a second offence means jail time or community service as one of the servants.

Show

The Isha are a small bipedal race with an average height of 5 foot, they make up for the lack of physical strength with numbers although these numbers can be deceiving. The Isha have mastered the art of Duality, meaning they can occupy multiple places at once so if you see five they could actually be one and the same. The top job in the Isha society is doctor anyone that is not good enough to become a doctor normally end up in servant roles, although some have found a lucrative business trading and selling appointments and managed to become very wealthy by offering short wait times to the rich and famous.

Show

The Isha have always been a weak race and were very low in the food chain for most of their existence. Predators managed to pick of the race without much effort and left many wounded in their wake, this however would prove to be the start of their medical focus. After an attack the many wounded needed to be patched up and ready to forest and farm so that the tribes would not grow hungry. This continued for many years and while the medical expertise of the Isha grew their numbers dwindled as more and more were taken in each attack.

One day a doctor named Natsu locked himself in a cave and requested food for seemingly free while he conducted his research. The tribe members did not appreciate the demands however provided food regardless. Five years later Natsu emerged from the cave then he emerged again and again until three copies stood in front of the tribe. His research into Duality was successful and the next predator to arrive was swiftly dealt with as Natsu attacked it from several sides at once. From that day onwards each doctor was trained in the disciplines of Duality and became both healers of the wounded and defenders of the weak.

With the assistance of the doctors the Isha quickly made their way to the top of the food chain and started to lend out their expertise to nearby tribes. These tribes in turn formed cities and these cities turned into one country. With the resources available to them the Isha managed to venture into space and quickly gained notice for their exceptional medical knowledge and started to offer their services to nearby civilisations.

Years went by and it quickly became clear that there was not enough room on the planet to keep all the practises going and a massive shift occurred, trading medical knowledge and favours to powers far and wide the solar system was transformed in the biggest hospital known to the galaxy. The home planet of the Isha was renamed OperatieKamer and housed only those undergoing surgery the doctors and the doctors staff. The smallest planet in the galaxy became Wachtkamer and was designed to be a waiting room for the millions of people awaiting surgery. HerstelKamer the final planet in the system became the recovery centre and had all the luxuries one could ever need.

When the Mier Formica arrived in the system there was little resistance and a colony was established on one of the islands of OperatieKamer. After some initial unrest the residents of the Ziekenhuis solar system found that their new rulers expected very little of them and they were mostly left to their own devices.

Show

The Isha are fully governed by the Quantum Mechanical Doctors who live on OperatieKamer and while there are major areas of crime on Wachtkamer there has not been a reported murder in over 100 years.

Spoiler: Resources
    Show

Quantum Mechanical Doctors are skilled being that can be convinced to provide their medical expertise for a price

TP1: The medical institute of Natsu is more than happy to send graduates across the Galaxy for a price

TP2: The home for weary doctors sends veteran doctors out to assist in procedures to whomever would pay the right price.

Show

The colony has not yet spread their beliefs to this system and the Isha do not care about what is worshipped or believed in, the learning centre lies open

LC: The cave where Natsu discovered Duality is a magical place brimming with power. Noone knows if this power comes from a higher being the planet themselves or a different dimension altogether.

JachtGrond(E15)

Show

The system JachGrond has a Yellow star with 4 planets in orbit that are all populated by wildlife, the system also has several free floating stations.

Ziekenhuis(Yellow star)
    A C class star with a surface temperature of 5200 degrees Celsius with the following celestial bodies and man made structures in orbit:

Station 1:
    This station is the main hub for trade in the region and started out as a place for hunters from far and wide to gather and participate in the hunts on the four planets below. It has since grown to house several thousand people ranging from Doctors that create medicine from the spoils brought back to shamans who transform these raw materials into a variety of crafts and tonics.

Station 2:
    A small station that hovers in the vicinity of Gebied 3 and 4 where the most dangerous wildlife lives. The station has a small crew and offers the bare necessities needed for hunters that use it as a resting point between hunts. Items sold go at a premium but any successful hunt is worth the reward.

Gebied 1:
    The smallest planet in the system Gebied 1 offers the easiest hunts. A wide variety of species roam the planet but only the following offer resources that are worth trading:

Jagras: Small herbivores that travel in herds and are often sighted in the open plains. These can be hunted for their hooves and skin.

Kula: A flightless bird that primarily lives of Jagras eggs. Beaks can be sold to Shamans.

Tzitzi: Small predators that hunts in groups of five they will isolate their prey and can give chase for miles. The plumage displayed by the males fetches a nice price as these are very popular in the fashion industry.

Gebied 2:
    The largest planet in the system Gebied 2 offers a more challenging hunt. Most of its surface is exposed lava however some species have made their home in this hostile environment. The following are worth hunting:

Lavasoith: A fish like creature that has made its home in the lava streams of the planet, it hunts any land dwelling creatures by jumping out of the streams and dragging them in. The skin is a popular way to create many items that are highly resistant to heat.

Kadachi: A land dwelling creature that lives of the minerals brought up by the frequent eruptions on the planet which it excavates with its large claws. The claws are a powerful antibiotic that is widely used in medicine.

Gebied 3:
    A planet covered in permanent frost Gebied 3 offers a challenge to even the most seasoned hunters, of the creatures that live here only a few could be considered non lethal. The hunters can find the following sought after hunts:

BanBaro: A massive creature that closely resembles a woolly mammoth, the BanBaro travels the planet in small packs while looking for vegetation. A hit from its trunk, tusks or legs can kill a man in a single hit. Its fur is sold throughout the galaxy as carpets and coats.

Garuga: A flying predator that swoops down and can lift a full grown BanBaro in the air. Hunter can take down this prey to acquire its claws which are used for medicine and shaman rituals.

Gebied 4:
    The most dangerous hunting ground is surprisingly enough mostly inhabited by herbivores, however a single predator that has made its way to the top of the food chain makes all the other planets seem like child's play.

Nergigante: This perfectly adapted killing machine has evolved with many horns coming out of its body leaving no weak points. Combined with the capability of flight and massive claws this creature has no equal in the entirety of JachtGrond. It is for this reason that its horns fetch such a high price when they are ground up they can be used in any medicine to enhance it effects and it when used in rituals it is said one can commune with the dead.

Show

There is only one creature that can be called native to JachtGrond, and that is Predator. This Nergigante ate some hunters that were carrying a combination of medicine and shamanic potions. The mixture enhanced its mental capabilities and enabled it to survive in space. Any other inhabitants are permanent residents on the two stations. The system is frequented by many hunters looking for sport, riches, or a combination of the two. The Mier Formica have settled on Station 1 and are not interfering with the diverse Ecosystem that has been created on the planets below.

Show

Not much is known about the system. It was discovered by a lone explorer called Rexxar who was the first to spend his time hunting the many planets. It was not long after his return home that other hunters wished to try their luck and soon the first station was created. The system has been a hunting ground for only 20 years and when the system was explored by the Melfynians only a few could tell stories of the hunters that came before them. It was not long until the Mier Formica conquered the region and, apart from some small resistance, the Mier Formica rule went unchallenged. When the hunters found out their sport was not in danger any, objections soon seized ceased. Rexxar now runs Station 1 and tolerates no foul play during the hunts or whilst on his station.

Show

There is no formal government in place; the system obeys survival of the fittest. Currently the creature known as Predator holds this title who, after his defeat at the hands of the Mier Formica, decided to serve the empire under the condition it could be in charge of its hunting grounds.

Show

Powdered Alien Horn is created from the Nergigante horns. The danger of acquiring this item combined with the limited amount of hunters willing to risks their lives makes this item a rarity indeed.

TP1: The station that floats near Gebied 4 is willing to sell the coveted powder to the highest bidder.

Show

The Mier Formica have not spread their believes to this system yet and the hunters that live here fail to see why anyone would trust anything but their skill and weapon.

LC: Station 1 is seen as the only safe haven in this system and is considered a holy place of refuge by some.

Last edited by Moriko; 2019-11-02 at 01:05 PM.
    See that awesome avatar? This dude called Gengy made it.

19. - Top - End - #259

Region Submission

The Starless Veil

Region R4

Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    Parent System: EAA
    Local System: The Starless Veil
    Resource: Energy Crystals [Good]
    Learning Center: The Firmament [Open]

Spoiler: Region
    Show
    A supermassive black hole sits in the center of the Starless Veil, but the region was not always starless. Once home to twin orange giant stars, the solar system was forever altered when one of the two giants erupted into a supernova and eventually a black hole was formed from the remains of that explosion. The twin eventually drifted too close to its former partner and was slowly unraveled as its particles breached the inescapable event horizon. Some of its particles live on as the black hole’s accretion disk which generates a great deal of heat, if a very dim light, for the sole survivors in the region. Several large planets orbit the supermassive black hole and the remains of its twin, but the only remaining bastion of life in the star system is upon a desolate moon that was very nearly overlooked by the Explorers credited with the discovery of the star system.

Tidally locked, Soma III is completely cold and barren on the far side of the moon. Warmed by the great amounts of radiation emitted by the accretion disk, the side facing the black hole supports those hardy enough to weather through their extreme conditions. Signs of life, marked by the decaying remnants of a once sophisticated civilization, are evident in the existence of large biodomes, several of which appear to be dark and nonfunctional. Dwelling in constant darkness, the denizens of Soma III use ultraviolet light to grow their food and subsist on an entirely vegetarian diet, as the moon itself holds no native flora or fauna. The planet which Soma III still orbits seems to be a barren wasteland, lacking any signs of life, sapient or otherwise. The Alysian Explorers who initially discovered the Starless Veil have posited that perhaps it had been the protection of the biodomes that saved the inhabitants from being irradiated as the planet below them and whatever life once dwelled there had been when the original star went supernova.

Show
    Dwelling as they do, in a world of constant nearly pitch darkness, the appearance of the denizens of Soma III might seem grotesque to some. Over countless generations, they have evolved paper-white skin with a subtle translucent quality that lends their complexion a vague pinkness wherever their capillaries converge together. Large sunken areas of concave skin cover the areas that once held eyes. They have large, rounded ears that can move independently of one another and can utilise echolocation to help them navigate in the darkness.

Calling themselves simply “The People”, the people of Soma III subsist entirely on the fruits and vegetables that they grow in the remaining biodomes and recycle wastewater through sophisticated filters so little truly goes to waste. The people are entirely pacifists and live in large communes where everybody is guaranteed the basic food, water and shelter necessary for survival. Their leader is known as the “Foreman” and he oversees the lunar mining operations and upkeep of the mining and biodome technology that seems more advanced that what the people of Soma III are capable of currently producing.

Show
    No recorded history of Soma III or its denuded planet exists. The people and their Foreman tell of an ancient and mysterious race they call “The Progenitors” that they claim once inhabited the planet below, the relics of which have been almost completely destroyed and the remnants being so warped that little knowledge might be gained from them. According to the people, it was The Progenitors that had created the technology to allow habitation on the Soma III surface and also to delve deep into the moon’s depths to extract the rare and valuable energy crystals that the people use to keep the habitat and mining equipment running. It is unknown whether The Progenitors perished in one of the solar disasters that occured in the Veil or if they had abandoned the solar system much earlier.

Show
    The People of Soma III have several stories of the dying stars and The Progenitors that once shared their solar system with them, but do not hold to any recognizable ideology. There is a damaged biodome that once held an Oculory, the people refer to it as The Firmament and it seems to have once been the center for learning and study on Soma III.
    LC: The Firmament (Open)

Show
    The Energy Crystals that the people mine deep below the lunar surface of Soma III pulse a vibrant bluish purple, an indication of the incredible power each irregular crystal holds within. Both long lasting and versatile, the Energy Crystals of Soma III can be used to power a wide variety of technology.
    Resource:
    Energy Crystals (Good, TP 2 EAA)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

Sayrev

Region T12

Spoiler: System
    Show

There's a lot of empty space in Sayrev. Several cold dark planets orbit the one dying white dwarf in the region. One planet in the system, however, does show signs of previous life on the planet, once an island of growth in the vastness of empty space. Vertigo is the name of this planet, the former home of the Jovians, before they ran away, into space, as mercury bled out from the core onto the surface of the planet.

Show

The Jovians are bipedal amphibians that share many characteristics with salamanders. Even on their space stations they have maintained as much natural growth as possible with farms, parks, and even forests. They do prefer a moderately humid environment, as their skin does evaporate water rapidly in arid conditions. Care is taken to avoid excessive humidity, however, because their skin can become slippery when wet, and can interfere with tool and technology use.

The Jovians currently inhabit several space stations throughout the system, and a fleet of ships that travel between them for trade and resource gathering. The capital ship of the fleet, the Steel Horse, carries approximately 10 percent of the population as well as the ruling council in order to prevent the appearance of preference between the stations.

Show

The Jovians once populated the planet of Vertigo and built great industrial complexes and towers of civilization. However, the drilling and mining for minerals and resources eventually caused a breach in the crust of Vertigo, and mercury erupted onto the land and into the air. The first few days after the breach were chaotic, but the environment did not become truly toxic for a couple of years, long enough for the Jovians to build the first of the stations that now populate the system. Some of the current Jovians still share the old stories that they heard from their grandparents who heard it from theirs, of the times when the fate of the Jovians lived on nothing but untested technology and a prayer.

Show

Audio Amplifuelers [Good]

Among the technology that the Jovians have, and use on a daily basis, none are as extraordinary as the Audio Amplifuelers. These devices seem to absorb the noise and vibrations of the space stations, store it, and then charge the engines of the fleet ships. When turned on, these engines kick to life with a roar, and propel the ships with the saved up power of sound.

Even the modern scientists among the Jovians don't quite understand how the amplifuelsers work, they simply know that they do. They were invented back when the Jovians were still on-planet, and were the propulsion system that got them into orbit. Proper construction systems and factories have been maintained, but most Jovians are unsure of how they operate, or even how to improve them, if desired. These days, like always, they simply keep the faith, and the engines work.
    Last edited by DionysisReborn; 2019-10-19 at 10:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Griffon

Region Write-Up:
    Kraikr
    F22

Droccen diplomats race off into unknown space, eager to find the most viral planet they can stream to eager audiences back on Droccen. After several months of diligent searching they find a world filled a rowdy group known as the Caguns. Known both for their surly disposition and their tendency to fry up anything they can back in their planet’s extensive marshlands the Caguns do not appear to be vicious despite their propensity for violence. After a few impromptu fist fights and attempts to deep fry the Droccen crew, the Caguns reveal their greatest delicacy. Frogs whose croak blends together into the most beautiful yet dirtiest opera in the galaxy...at least to the tone deaf Caguns. When not kept as musical pets these giant amphibians have their legs, organs, tongues, and skin fried vigorously using the 12 sacred Cagun spices.

Show
    Known to the galaxy ever since discovery by the Droccen, planet Kraikr, previously known to surveys as Binary Arrangement 1 - Unstable (BAIU for short) is covered in moist, humid marshland that occasionally yields to slightly firmer temperate swamp forest at the poles. Kraikr is shockingly flat, with little to no mountains. Marsh geysers spread over the planet seem to take over the role of volcanoes on other worlds. The surface is fairly undeveloped, with less than 10% of the planet’s habitats being completely altered by the inhabitants. Kraikr is one of four rocky planets and two gas planets in its solar system, which is identified by a binary star system consisting of a red giant star and a yellow star. Kraikr is kept in between both stars by its orbit, the warmth of which maintain a humid and warm environment with ice occurring rarely and only at the poles if ever. This climate lends itself well to growing a vast variety of plants and fungi and has a high biodiversity of fauna.

Show
    Describing the appearance of the Caguns is difficult as they are rarely seen without a thorough coating of mud. Primarily quadripedal with webbed fingers and toes, an adult male Cagun is up to six feet long, while females are up to five feet long. Able to stand on their hind legs for fights and walking speed, Caguns nevertheless spend most of their time on all fours, and even more time swimming or sliding around Kraikr’s marshes and rivers. Cagun skin is tough and scaled, and as such very little in the way of clothing is worn, with the primary exception being reed-woven hats shaped to cover the top of the head and protrude in front of the face to provide shade and large bone piercings for personal decoration. Caguns all possess strong scaled tails for swimming and balance traversing the marsh, and long snouts with large mouths and double rows of teeth. Caguns live in huts constructed of mud, branches, and reeds, and find equal value in cooking and fighting skills, as both are used for attracting mates and showing competitors who’s boss. Almost all fauna and flora on Kraikr have been found to have some use for foodstuffs, and any other items are added into dishes for texture. Cagun generally live in small family units and are fiercely loyal to those units and the slightly larger faction to which they belong. Fights break out frequently over slights real or imagined, and posturing is a cornerstone of Cagun society. Family units and factions alike are ruled by old females who keep the others familiar with the words and works of Flori Daman, keep the posturing males in-line, and arrange appropriate reproduction events of the younger females. In general, these Maw Maws are content to allow most behavior to pass and only become involved when Flori Daman is invoked.

Show
    Operatic Frogs are the Caguns most prized resource, and has already had great success in the galactic trade network as a hot commodity. Operatic Frogs are fluorescent and brightly colored amphibians (albeit almost constantly covered in mud) that croak beautifully and make very pretty sounds. When around one another, they croak in harmony and create their own tunes.

Show
    Cagun society is defined by a system of spirit worship fronted by a primary god Flori Daman, the Mud-Great-Snake, whose primordial movements created the global network of rivers and water bodies and whose scales ripped up the land to mix into the water to fill them with mud and create the marshes before burying itself into the planet core to cover itself with warm mud. Devotion to Flori Daman is dedicated at the Mud Tree, a great twisted tree in the center of Nawlin that generations of praying Caguns have lovingly covered in mud. If Nawlin ever falls, lore says that Flori Daman will wake to devour the suns in rage, plunging the swamps into dark and cold, and freezing the mud so none can build or live on Kraikr. The twelve sacred spices are also named after other, lesser spirits and gods – Bumba Gupi, Ruiya Dis, Zatta Rayin, Pawpaw Craw, Goom Boh, Jamby Leya, Bikkit Gervy, Grimpy Shrits, Creoke Dilly, Benny Yay, Mon Sheyenn, and Poh Boi.
    Last edited by LapisCattis; 2019-11-02 at 05:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Cricalores
    O19

Spoiler: System
    Show

Six planets circle the sun of Elsolero, each of them a desert wasteland in their own right, and only one of them even close to sustaining anything close to a feasible population of sentient life. This planet is Cricalores. A harsh brutal world swept with pink, red, orange, and shimmering white sands all baked in the roaring red sun of their dying system. It is a life all things in the area have gotten used to. Two moons circle around this sole beacon of survival, the fewest number of moons of all the planets in the system, and just as uniquely glowing bright green and blue. An alignment of all 3 such heavenly bodies upon Cricalores happens only once in a thousand years but when it does occur tremendous powerful environmental hazards take hold and chaos is the rule of law. Asteroid belts of scavenged or destroyed metal float through the system, interweaving between plantery orbits like metallic threads of war, and serving as a grisly reminder of the monumentous battle that took place in the empty void of space as lifeless as the worlds they encompass. Huge graveyards of torn cruisers, frigates, luxury yachts turned to battle, and sleek laser centered Same drones detonated in fiery conquest and rebellion.

A few environmentally sealed outposts do exist on the various other planets circling Elsolero but they serve predominately as quick stop destinations for Flame Hunters to reload, restock, and lay low when things get hairy. None are fit for extended habitation and all of them are seamlessly carved and blended into the desolate hunks of rock that float through the void. Supposedly at the very least, since an incident of one being found without a Flame Hunter exposing it has yet to be heard.

Show

Cricalorians are the predominant species on Cricalore, massive six foot tall on average Hamster people usually weighing several hundred pounds. Their fur comes in many shades and hues but the most common combination is orange and white. Razor sharp teeth capable of cutting stone, eyes keen enough to see a shifting mirage in a desert, and a respiratory system capable of intense trauma endurance with redundancies to spare the Cricalorians are a resilient and tenacious people. They favor lifestyles that keep them vagrant, in close social circles, and normally stretching whatever intense interpersonal skill they relish. Sometimes it's telling a yarn over a mugging beer stein, a passionate night, a risky gamble, a bold faced con; Most of the time it's through the trigger of a gun. Cricalorians favor physical ammunition and slugthrowers in their dealings. The fewer mechanisms necessary for repair and the fewer pieces capable of malfunctioning the better. This isn't to say they are opposed to complication, in fact most of their schemes, plots, and business dealings involve manifold steps or bizarre colloquial ritual and even labyrinthian contingency. A Cricalorian hard at work chewing on something is a common sight for the fixated minds of these strange desert people (Normally a very shiny gem stone or a particularly interesting geode) brewing an idea. Simple in scope they are distrustful of outsiders though once any have pierced their ranks they are warmly embraced and heralded as an old friend (A vaunted title for one in trouble or a dire requirement for one about to be!).

Most space ships found on Cricalores are bargained for, stolen, and otherwise retrofitted craft taken from other civilizations. A particular favorite are the fast moving fighters of the Knights Vacio but Jackstar Free Union pleasure crafts have periodically stirred the hearts and stories of Cricalorians and wary visitors alike. This distrust of outsiders is absolute and overwhelming when it comes to artificial intelligence amongst the people. Since the Same attacked all intelligent robots have been regarded with abject fear and hatred. The war-scarred survivors and refugees of the endless struggle on the planet only band tighter together under such grim prospect. Gangs, raiders, and more civilized folk alike all set aside their differences in post traumatic societal relapse when confronted with the possibility of another Great Burning. What few bastions of civilization exist are sterling examples of adventure capitalism at its finest and most literal as coin and almighty material possession holds ultimate sway but at an exuberant and often confusing cost. This nature has only been exacerbated in the coming years since the Same have come and been defeated as looted parts (Or ostensibly looted) from the advanced and mysterious robot menace are an oftentimes courted amazement for the finer establishments, businesses, and arms dealer. Sometimes literally arms dealing in the case of cybernetics undergone by many inhabitants in an effort to make themselves tougher, stronger, and otherwise less debilitated by the destructive land.

Show

Cricalores was not always a horrible wasteland. At one point it was a verdant utopia where many other giant furry creatures lived like the Cricalorians. It was a noble and proud land where the warrior's ethos ran free and all was well. That is until Elsolero began to die and the stars themselves began to bleed. Or so the old wife's tales and myths go. In the end, it doesn't truly matter how Cricalores got to where it is today, for it is a dead shriveled thing and a cruel mother to a people who have long abandoned the need of having one. Their first contact with Maturated species was less than impressive, the most cunning and well connected Bounty Hunter easily repelling the Eye of the Horizon in a series of daring raiding maneuvers and timed collisions with unmanned vehicles. Goda Pett leveraged said victory and newfound communication with the outside world via looted Watcher tech that he became the richest Cricalorian in history. Or he would have had the Same not attacked. What is now known as the Great Burning began the day a swarm of vaguely connected floating metal pieces appeared in the hot arid sky overhead. Their lasers burned whole swathes of land to ash, deserts of blackened sand, and whipping winds of ashen remains. Those who joined the Goda in initial battle died. Brutally. The rest went into hiding for years, turning their saloons into bunkers, casinos into hospitals, and trader moe's into secret conclaves for a new breed of Cricalorian to emerge. Hardened veteran hunters of unmatched skill, guerilla warriors who had seen the rays of flame and death, and did not balk in fear but faced it persistently. Teeth gnashing and eyes raging they forced the Same to take every inch of Cricalores with great effort from that day forward, holding the Same menace in place long enough for CORE PATROL to arrive and liberate the people. Now officially a member of the Watcher society, the Cricalorians have easily meshed their loose societal structure with the free flowing agency of the tribal demarcation in Hearth and its surrounding protectorates. The current Goda acts as a representative to the Council, offering what wisdom they give for free to the Chief Deputy Warden, and constantly keeping their hand on their holster.

Show

The Mirajosa or Mirage City is not one fixed location but rather a pop up series of shanty towns, businesses, floating pleasure crafts, magnetic railway stops, and rotating fixed establishments that act as the cultural super highway of Cricalores. Gossips, rumormongers, and anyone who is anyone flit between these concentrated centers of pop culture and daily business. A damning risque endeavor exposed at any of these establishments will be known by anyone with a friend on Cricalores by the end of the day. Watering holes are a frequent spot for such congregation in the process of following after this cultural hubub but the life giving source is just as easily replaced with spirits and liquor of the strongest and most frequently used for impromptu surgery variety.

OPEN

Show

Bounty Hunters used to be the clsoest thing to law enforcement on Cricalores. Free independent spirited warriors who took it on themselves to help their fellow Hamster and fight the good fight. For a fee of course. Mercenary soldiers of the highest quality are born and raised on a world where your own brethren will eat you as children in the den. You're either quick, clever, or dead. The veracity of their claims and the honor of their agreements, especially amongst fellow Bounty Hunters in what could loosely be referred to as a league or affiliation, ensured the social order of Cricalores, and allowed for such a society to thrive in a world exposed to powers capable of faster than light travel.

Until the Same attacked.

Now almost all the old Bounty Hunters are gone. A new generation stands in their place. Forged in the fire of war, grizzled by the need for absolute survival in the face of apocalyptic odds, and assured with the experience and ransacked equipment of dozens of civilizations combined that they won. They lived. Such flame baptized warriors, skilled moxie fueled adventurers as they are, undergo far more ritual in their dealings (the anointing of ash during suicide missions for instance), and are no less intense in their preparations and prowess. The Flame Hunters are some of the greatest mercenary forces in the galaxy and guerilla warrior survivalists to the last.

(GOOD QUALITY)
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

23. - Top - End - #263

Region Write Up time.

Cappared S13

Show
    The Cappared sector is has a number of blue stars in it, but only one holding any form of life. This is 'Cappared,' Closest planet to a blue star. Due to a large amount of asteroids orbitting between the star and Cappared, Cappared is often in a state of shade and twilight.

Cappared itself is covered with may dense, lush forests, with tall trees providing canopies to the ground below. Forests exist at both poles surprisingly enough, although the forests thin out around the equator, making way for arid plains and desert. Although there is an ocean, it is relatively small, only taking up 20% of the planet, although scans indicate a large underground ocean under a far larger portion of the planet, leaving the ground in most areas unusually moist.

Show
    The main inhabitants of Cappared are the Rumaj, a curious race made from a certain mold, the Kiol. When a large amount of this moss grows into water, the mold cells fuse together into a plant-like body aproximately five feet high. They essentially look like moving piles of mold whch can use to move and shape themselves amorphously. They only require light and food to survive, or risk fallnig apart into mold again.
    Traditionally, the Rumaj move as nomadic clans around the forests, seeking especially moist areas from the underground ocean to feed themselves, and create new members. Each Clan is lead by a Gui, usually the oldest Rumaj of the clan, although in more recent times this has changed. When one clan grew large enough to bow all others into submission, their Gui formed the first nation on Cappared, and took the title 'Fun Gui.' They used their power to lay down large amounts of the fungus sacred to his clan, which now covers a large amount of the planet.

The Rumaj have a historical dislike for metal and technology, as metal can have a corrosive impact on their mold, although this had not stopped them creating radios, mortars, and other useful items. It was only the latest Fun Gui who discovered that two Rumaj could communicate using the fungal network without the need for radios, and when connected, the Rumaj could invoke the planet itself, guiding the underground ocean and the flora of the world.. They ordered all technology involving metal to be destroyed, as it was evidently useless. This was an unpopular decision, especially as Church of Rust explorers visited the Planet less than a month later, proving metal had some use. That the Duenem arrived a little later, albeit using wooden models for envoys, certainly led to a sizeable schism.

Show
    Of all the flowers of Cappared, the Poppy grows the most around the equator, being hardy enough here to outgrow other flowers, and being useful for the Rumaj as an anasthetic and for colour. With the arrival of the galaxy at large, the Fun Gui was unwilling to send any fungus or mold offworld, but found the opium to be surprisingly popular, so instructed planetwide growth as an economic crutch that could bring them aid. Almost immediately, the Duenem bought out most of the cultivation farms, being far better suited to farm in the more arid lands.
    Resource: Opium
    TP1: DNM
    TP2: DNM

Show
    The Rumaj have a great respect for natural life and growth, literally being formed from the pooling of life, which gives them a strong coservative and traditionalist mindset for the most part. They also have very small cults of sun worship, although these are very out of vogue recently, as the Church of Rust has openned up the possibility of creating something greater than the sum of their parts in nature, although this has not fully formed yet.

Learning Centre: Open
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I did say I'd do this Saturday Night. I wasn't even lying if you're on Baker Island! Which nobody is, it's uninhabited. Still.

Hexglyph
    Region L6
    Show

Resource: Symbiotic Alloys [Good]
    1. Nelhive [vacant]
    2. Yuthive [vacant]
    Learning Center: Hexglyph Fractals [Open]

Show

System: Glyph

System Data:

The Glyph system is surprisingly bare, containing only a singular Type-G main sequence star, a single planetary body, and a single Cosmic Courier Relay. There are no asteroids, moons, or other miscellaneous stellar objects to be seen, aside from a collection of space junk produced by the civilization on planet Hexen.

Planet Hexen: A primarily metallic world, almost certainly constructed rather than natural. Hexen’s ‘crust’ is composed of an estimated two hundred billion metallic plates in the shape of regular hexagons, though large variance in sizing makes this number suspect. Though the metallic composition of the alloy varies, these plates are unusually bonded to carbon structures suitable for organic molecules and strange metallic “plants” grow from them in what looks to be a designed ecosystem gone without a curator for a very long time. Hexen has an atmosphere largely composed of nitrogen with sufficient oxygen and carbon dioxide content to be deemed earthlike, and seas of water (though water rich in heavy metals).

Advisory: Despite an atmosphere suitable for humans, Hexen has been deemed unsuitable for human habitation outside of an arcology. Water contamination with metal particles and unidentified air contaminants believed to be nanomachines are extremely dangerous to unprotected species, and standard Environment suits or local Alloysuits are highly recommended.

Show
    The people of Hexen are, improbably enough, human! Approximately. Exposure to local hazards and Symbiotic Alloys has transformed the Hexites into a race of metal-skinned supermen, though taking samples from beneath the outer layer suggests that they remain within 1% human genetic mean. Hexites born on-planet quickly develop traits caused by metallic exposure but suffer no ill effects from them, suggesting a genome heavily adapted to the threats posed by the climate. Hexen born off-planet are for all intents and purposes human, though remain capable of acclimating to Hexen’s atmosphere.

How humans arrived on Hexen is unknown, though local myth suggests they arrived through a portal – perhaps one of Sanctum’s Otherways.

Show
    Prior to Gelean occupation, Hexen was ruled by dozens of industrial polities in a tenuous peace brokered by a combination of Cosmic Courier mediation and mutually-assured-destruction. While most of these polities still exist and govern democratically among themselves, they swear at least nominal allegiance to the Gelean Emperor.

Show
    The Planet’s hexes and the patterns of them are a peculiar source of fascination to many learned Hexen, who speculate wildly on whatever gods or cosmic entities built the planet and arranged the hexes in the particular ways they are arranged.

Show
    Symbiotic Alloys derived from a native “plant” species are of considerable commercial value due to their plastic properties and unique capability to bond to organic structures. In some ways this bonding seems to go beyond current understanding of chemistry, the metal responding as if it were part of the organism it became attached to. While symbiotic alloys can be used as conventional construction materials by binding to something like plywood, more fascinating – and frightening – is their capability to bond to living organisms, forming steel skins capable of deflecting small arms fire or silvery prosthetics that feel just like the host remembers. [Category: Building Materials]
    Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Posting a new region for review.

The Bezhuq Reach

Region I-25

Show
    Composed of hundreds of stars, most of the Bezhuq Reaches is of interest only to stellar cartographers and exo-geologists. Three sectors of the region, however, have become increasingly trafficked since the incursion of outside powers. The greatest of these is the planet Siruk, an arid terrestrial planet orbiting a yellow star. The homeworld of the Bezhuq people for whom the region is named, Siruk is riven with primordial mountain ranges bordering expansive plains, with the equatorial regions marked by widespread desertification. Three oceans divide the land, though they occupy only 50% of the planet’s surface area. From orbit, large shadow-spots on the plains give the impression the planet has suffered orbital bombardment, but closer examination reveals the planet’s most distinctive feature. Driven by both climatological and religious factors, the Siruk have established the majority of their settlements in deep bore-holes, layering residential, agricultural, and industrial zones atop each other in vast subterranean arcologies.

A nearby star holds the second location of note, though it draws little civilian traffic. Orbiting a deep orange gas giant is a compact moon that has been almost entirely excavated by the Star League navy. Vast facilities for dry dock, logistics, and command and control have been constructed beneath hardpoints of iron-rich rock, to serve as fleet command for the Star League’s western border. Picket ships and attack cruisers are common sights in and around the base, referred to as Amol Syr, safeguarding the inner reaches of the Star League.

Finally, three star systems north of Siruk stands one of the Bezhuq’s greatest achievements. Nestled in a primordial garden world is a colony established by a generation ship sent out more than a century before the Maturation. Functionally isolated from their homeworld, the inhabitants of Founder’s Promise were shocked at the arrival of Vilari survey vessels, though the luxury of communications with their descendants and access to the galactic economy were greatly appreciated.

Show
    The Bezhuq are a bipedal race, with a profile similar to humans. They are distinguished by their chalk-white skin, hairless oblong skull, and third eye centered in their forehead. Outside their homes, the Bezhuq never leave their faces uncovered, often combining brightly-painted masks with flowing head scarves that proclaim their lineage and allegiance. Organized into extended family units, the Bezhuq practice generational industries, training their children in highly ritualized apprenticeships. Bezhuq arcologies, called sichs, can house anywhere from a dozen to nearly one hundred such groups, unified by intermarriage and family alliances that sometimes go back centuries. Interactions between these communities are universally competitive, with each Bezhuq sich jockeying for greater wealth and influence than their neighbors. This in turn has led to complex webs of economic rivalry and alliance across the planet, as neighbors turn to more distant Bezhuq cultures for mutual advantage.

Show
    Through most of their history, the Bezhuq were a nomadic people, travelling their barely-hospitable planet in routes that kept them in the most hospitable climes year-round. As their technology and culture grew, rare enclaves were established in mountain strongholds and significant oases to act as bastions of last-resort for weary travelers and nexuses of communication for the disparate Bezhuq tribes. However the arrival of the Grey Visitor changed the course of their history irrevocably. Descending on pillars of fire, the Grey Visitor’s arrival drew the attention of several nearby tribes, all of which journeyed to the Visitor’s palace of black steel. There, they heard the voice of something they assumed was a god, though they did not recognize the language. The first Bezhuq brave enough to approach the palace was incinerated by a wall of light, and her fellows immediately prostrated themselves.

Over the following days, the Visitor spoke to the Bezhuq several times, the alien interloper slowly learning their language from intercepted transmissions. The Visitor had been drawn to the planet by signs of iridium, and slowly began to manipulate the Bezhuq into providing it. Within ten years, most of the tribes had been relocated from their nomadic routes to areas the Visitor wanted excavated, shielded by the miraculous “gifts” of the alien as they began to bore deep in search of their planet’s bounty. These ramshackle mining camps grew into towns, and eventually cities, the gifts from the Visitor increasing as the Bezhuq pulled fortunes from the earth. Dazzled by the Visitor’s seemingly infinite power, the Bezhuq became a willing slave race, their faiths twisting to venerate the voice from the steel palace even as their eyes fell from the horizon to the darkness of the mine. Until, one day, the Visitor disappeared. Perhaps the wealth of the Bezhuq had finally satisfied the alien. Perhaps they had been driven off by some other celestial traveller. Whatever the case, the Bezhuq were left adrift.

Separated from the singular will that had guided them for a hundred years, recriminations were quick in coming. Every sich blamed the others for offending the Visitor, with the last sich to provide a shipment to the steel palace coming under attack from its neighbors within days of the departure. Using the borrowed technology of their vanished god, the Bezhuq spent months searching for answers, to no avail. Years passed, and despite their sudden freedom the work in the mines continued. Much of the Visitor’s technology had been driven by the strange silver metals that riddled Siruk’s crust, and whatever remained was stockpiled as an offering for the Visitor’s inevitable return. And with every day that return did not come, the eyes of the Bezhuq lifted once more towards the stars.

Show
    Given the level of animosity between the various sichs, there is little in the way of planetary government on Siruk. What organization exists only came into being recently, as alien explorers opened the Bezhuq’s eyes to the truth of the galaxy and the potential identity of the Visitor. While the elders of the sichs attempted to control the flow of information, first contact still resulted in six months of riots across the planet as the entire foundation of Bezhuq belief was thrown into question. The most prominent sichs quickly formed a confederation to better combat the internal strife, and it is this body that received the Vilari invitation to join the Star League.

Show
    Platinum Metals [Great]

The crust of Siruk, as well as many of the planets and planetoids in surrounding solar systems, boasts an unusually high concentration of platium-group metals. Comprising ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum, these metals are highly sought after both for their use in various manufactured goods and their status as precious metals.
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2019-10-20 at 06:03 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

26. - Top - End - #266

SwashbucklerGuy

Hfoure G29

Show
    G29 is a region constantly bombarded with white star radiation. With the uniform low gravity on all the region's planets, there has been a suggestion the region is under artificial conditions for something, although to date the natives had save no problem as they have believed the anomolous physics unique to the region to be normal.

Show
    The Bnees of Hfoure have lived without want and are in a obvious phase of prosperity despite the issues caused by Manoomin which interestingly enough, is the thing which supplies them with almost anything.

Because of the unique physics of the region, though the Bnees tower over most of Axiom's humanoids despite stuck on the ground on their six legs, their tiny wings are still able to sustain them in the air for a time defying conventional physics.

The lack of any visible appendages to manipulate objects also does not seem to be a problem as highly sensitive and flexible feelers seem to do the same job just as well if not better.

Show
    Manoomin is the extreme example of the region's result. With the low gravity, the plant is able to grow large without restraint towering most buildings in the industrial planet. With the radiation, the plant is able to contain excessive amount of energy. While it grows fast enough to sustain most lifeforms in the region and its vast quantities which threatened to overwhelm everything else makes it the perfect low cost fuel as long as users do not mind constantly refueling, advanced spacefaring races have found these uses to be inefficient. Studies have been undertaken to realize the proper use of this unique plant's properties.

Resource: Manoomin (Arcana)

Show
    The Bnees of Hfoure act in the interests of a hereditary queen which has succeeded for centuries much like normal bees. So long as the queen survives, so too will the prosperity of the region.

Learning Centre: Open
    Last edited by omnitricks; 2019-10-20 at 06:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267

NecromancerGirl

Ciretak (W3)

Spoiler: Geography
    Show
    In the center of the Rixmat solar system is an ancient star, one that shone brightly in the age before any kind of beings came to dwell in Axiom. By the time of Callers, it was already a cool white dwarf, trillions of years past its prime. Now, it is a just giant orb of inert matter suspended in the sky, evoking memories of times of which there is no tale, no legend – times before language, people, life existed.
    The black dwarf is orbited by three planets: one cold gas giant and two terrestrials that were once in Rixmat’s habitable zone. There is also a number of artificial satellites, the most significant being the crumbling remnants of a Dyson sphere, covering one tenth of the star’s surface; and the three Arks, moon-sized space stations full of nanocarbon pipes, steel plates and silver wiring, built by unknown ancestors.
    However, the place that the region is named after is a large meteorite field in interstellar space, stretching for lightyears in all directions, where, judging from the scattered-about twisted pieces of plate and vapors of potent fuels and possibly even body parts, made unrecognizable by evolution that took place since, or by the appalling weapons clutched in their limp appendages. Ciretak it has been called, for ‘Ciretak’ were the sole letters in the endless piles of scrap found readable by the people of this age.
    Human greed is known to grow without bounds; why has it not devoured the fields of Ciretak then? Although the battle has been won or lost long ago, the stench of death has subsided only a little. Some of the alien vessels have not fully lost their function: to turn any, all into nothing. Point defenses disintegrate clumsy, or simply unlucky scavengers. Legends abound of thieves that stumbled upon glowing crystals and the like, discovered what the “trigger” was, and became very rich, powerful, or nonexistent, along with few planets. For public safety, entrance to the site is prohibited strictly. To be sure, artefacts are still taken away from Ciretak secretly – it is all but impossible to patrol the entirety of the perimeter.

Show
    There are two kinds of inhabitants of Ciretak. The Sleeping, humans of indeterminate age, who lie in drab white rooms, eternally sustained by the many liquid-filled tubes sprouting from their bodies. Barring accident or sabotage, they never awake. Maintaining the vast laboratories are Immortals, the best, most perfect humans in Axiom, if the pathetic apes in the rest of Axiom even bear comparison with the Rixmatians.
    This system used pose many challenges to human life, but the brilliant researchers eventually solved every one by improving on the admirable, but flawed design of the human form. Rixmat is known in the stellar neighborhood as “the land where the wildest dreams of yesterday will be surpassed by tomorrow”.
    No Immortal ever walks (or flies) truly unarmed. Gun barrels in fingers, the ability to grow spikes, or, in the more destruction-inclined, a warplane-worthy laser cannon permanently welded to the shoulder. The one thing that Immortals are afraid of the most is the disproving of their invincibility, dying, that is. They do not have armies for this reason – no one is willing to die for someone else.

Show
    The Ciretak invaders have all fallen in the battle, it would seem. Those that defended Axiom from them vanished. Sometime after that, Rixmat was made one of the seemingly ubiquitous human colonies. At first, although life was difficult, the generous support of the mother country enticed many to seek new opportunities in Rixmat. However, that great empire inevitably fell apart one day, and since Rixmat had no spaceport yet, it lost all connection to the outside world. The government took stock of the situation, and determined that merely a quarter of the population can be sustained in the long term without financial assistance or trade. A secret plan was created to sterilize people without their knowledge, but it was leaked to the public, who were not thrilled. While the government was overthrown, the problem remained. Eventually, a company known as the Black Virtue came forth, promising that they would find a way to save all people, if they allowed certain experiments to be run on them.
    And they managed to do it! Most of the populace was put into stasis with minimal life support systems, leaving only a few people awake to keep the laboratories functioning. The original plan was to awaken the Sleeping once there were means to feed them again, but as generations of the laboratory keepers came and passed, they began to develop different worldviews. A scientist named Loth invented a machine that allowed ‘life force’ to be collected and transferred.

Show
    It suffices to say that the Immortals believe in their own might only. Historically, the sect of the One known as the Open was popular in the region. The Open was very popular across Axiom before the Maturated races came, but now their numbers are quickly declining. The Open teaches non-resistance and complete acceptance of others’ beliefs so as not to offend them, including participation at religious ceremonies, and absolute refusal to try to change someone’s mind out of respect for their own beliefs. Some progressive believers have questioned if these extremely tolerant and submissive policies could be one of the causes of the stagnation of the church. These people are heretics, of course, but the church tolerates them, as always...
    But don’t dare imply to an Openceler that his tastes in food are wrong, or, by the One, that his cooking is bad. It is said that in a show of rare assertiveness, all Opencelers present will kidnap you, devilishly torture you at their temple and, as some legends tell, make a delicious dish out of you. Sinners are appreciated, too.

Show
    The laboratories filled with Youth Extractors ensure that a few individuals who were fortunate enough to be born some 1500 years ago, just before their creation, can stave off death presumably indefinitely – none of them died yet of natural causes, though violent death is common due to the anarchy that has reigned for long in Rixmat. They continue to gather unbelievable amounts of wealth and materials to build secret bases. None of them trust each other after a millennium filled with wars, espionage and betrayals, but they like young people who could try to change the system even less, and try to kill or control any children they come across.
    Last edited by Corona; 2019-10-20 at 07:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Some more regions:

Spoiler: J6
    Show
    J6 Bloodfire Nebula

Show
    Leader: Overseer Distinguished Inkcap

Resource: Bloodfire [Great]
    TP1: Open
    TP2: Open
    TP3: Open
    Learning Center: [Open]

Show
    The Bloodfire Nebula is home to several habitable star systems. Unfortunately it is also home to the bloodfire phenomena which drastically downgrade the habitability of otherwise paradise worlds. Titania and Oberon are the second and third planets, respectively, in the Fae Dream system, while Puck, the third habitable planet, orbits the next closest star. Three habitable planets in such close proximity are a rarity, and surely what brought the inhabitants here. Kombuch scientists are fairly certain that the inhabitants of all three planets are human, or human adjacent, species. Furthermore, they posit that these inhabitants were sent to colonize these planets, but underwent some tragedy and regressed as a civilization.

Titania has an equatorial desert that wraps around the entirety of the planet, with two mostly tropical seas to the north and south. The poles are temperate, and while quite cold, do not maintain icecaps.

Oberon is quite a bit colder, with massive ice caps covering nearly 30% of the surface. The planet has significant areas of taiga and the equator is more temperate than tropical.

Puck sits squarely in the Goldilocks zone, with the most 'earthlike' climate of the three planets.

Show
    It is presumed that the three inhabited planets in the region were colonized by the survivors of ancient generational ships that did not survive their first contact with the bloodfire. The fact that the three planets names are known to the populace despite them having no contact with each other only add to this theory. Kombuch xenoarchaeologists work under the assumption that the natives may have originated from the same civilization as the Geleans. Further research will include Gelean archeologists for their opinions.

The peoples of the three different planets are each in entirely different stages of scientific development. Puck is the only planet with any kind of mechanized industry. The Oberon colony only has tribal hunter-gatherer societies, presumably to blame on their loss of both mechanized tools and workable livestock when they first landed. While the Puck colony also lost their mechanized tools, they had access to horses and cattle. The Titania colony has two large civilizations who have managed to grow with no interaction between them thanks to the impassible equatorial desert, but both share similarities. Both are seafaring and live primarily on islands in the North and South seas. Both could be classified as autocratic kingdoms, though the south for whatever reason has turned significantly harsher, with constant rebellion and infighting.

While the natives have seen signs of the fighting between the Harmony and Kombuch in the skies at night, the Kombuch have yet to truly reach out to them and instead have built several orbiting observation stations, where ongoing tests on the bloodfire are done, along with some xenoarchaeological studies on the inhabitants of the worlds below.

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show
    The governments of the preflight worlds in the sector are inconsequential. Overseer Distinguished Inkcap manages the sector, seeing to bloodfire research and careful xenoarcheological studies, to learn more about the humans below. Early research and development is strongly focused on finding a way to direct the bloodfire, both to gather it up and to move it away from inhabited worlds.

Show
    Philosophies vary on the three worlds, but most carry some nugget of truth about their original arrival there. The humans of the three planets all refer to themselves as some variation of 'sky people'.

Show
    Bloodfire: [Fuel][?]
    Bloodfire is an explosively volatile compound. It is immediately useful as both a combustible fuel source and as a propellant for solid projectile weapons. Other uses will require further testing.

Spoiler: J4
    Show
    J4 Colu Sector

Show
    Leader: Overseer Moon Carrot

Resource: Neural Amplifiers [Great]
    TP1: CmC
    TP2: Open
    TP3: Open
    Learning Center: [Open]

Show
    The Colu Sector, originally marked as Sector B22 on Galactic charts before the Revolution, has remarkable general similarities to the other nearby regions. Like other regions on the outer rim the Colu Sector is rather sparse. There are few star systems and even fewer with anything of value, making the inhabited planet Colu a welcome surprise. Colu is a lone planet with three moons orbiting a brown dwarf star.

Show
    The people of Colu are green skinned humanoids with an impressively advanced society. The majority of the actual planet is industrialized while the Coluans live primarily in massive cities that span the entire surface of Colu's three moons. Neural Amplification technology was the Coluan singularity, and brought them into an age of rapid advancement with science as advanced if not more so than any of the maturated species in the galaxy. In truth, they claim they declined, choosing their isolation. Unfortunately for them, Consolidator Disco Webcap sees them as especially useful, and their biology makes them fertile hosts for xenocolonies.

Spoiler: History and Government
    Show
    Overseer Moon Carrot is tasked with managing the full conversion of the Coluans into kombuch xenocolonies. There is no subtlety here.

Show
    Open!

Show
    Neural Amplifiers:
    Neural Amplifiers are advanced cybernetics that effectively allow users to upload information directly to their minds. In effect any citizen with a Neural Amplifier can be a master of any trade or skill with no training or even effort.
    Counts as any Skilled Persons resource. (Assuming a skill that can be taught, such as engineering or piloting)
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2019-11-01 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.
    Avatar Designed by EmersonTung, Recreated by Gengy

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are expecting a Region Review, your patience is appreciated. All attempts at write-ups will count for Round 9, though approvals will come separately. That said, I have an official Head GM Announcement.

I do not make this post lightly.

Effective immediately, omnitricks is banned from Empire! 5. Further games of Empire! will be at the Head GM of those game's to decide, but if they ask me, I will be advising against it.

Why Do This?

Though omni has shown himself to be a creative individual, with interesting plots, and certainly unafraid to cause conflict within IC situations, OOC interactions have increasingly caused tension among both other players and the GM Team. Repeatedly, omni has expressed his inability to trust certain GM Team members, has caused each of us to have individual personal difficulties with him, and has insulted them. Additionally, (and most recently) he has been unwilling to remove writing of god-modding other characters to the GM Team's satisfaction.

Efforts were made OOC to reconcile this situation, even going so far as to attempt to work with omni's preferred GM to moderate the issue. Concessions were made to endeavor to look past this, but this is not the first time the GM Team has had to make such concessions. Over and over, the GM Team - myself included - has tried to work with omni to support his creative ideas, and perhaps because of this, we were too lenient at first and established an expectation that the GM Team could be pushed around. Every time a hard line was set, there were upset feelings and poor interactions afterwards.

What Does This Mean for the Game?

Effectively? The Melfynians will be treated as an NPC state for Round 10. They will not post actions, but efforts will be made by the GM Team to meet any of their promises; present evidence of a promise being made, IC, and the GM Team will endeavor to fulfill those in a timely manner.

Round 9 actions for the MYA will finish, so as to complete all interactions; both from and towards the Melfynians.

I'm not going to retcon the Melfynians' existence, but I also don't feel right to allow another player to take control of MYA. I have not decided yet what this means, from a story perspective, but likely it means that if a new player comes in and wants the capital region of MYA, the Melfynian planet will no longer be there.

How Did This Happen?

omnitricks will almost certainly have feelings regarding this ban. I can't help but have feelings of my own about being one of the first to Ban someone from Empire! We've previously had... soft discouragements of continuing to play if a situation warranted it, but never a full Ban that anyone I've spoken with can think of. I very much didn't want to do this, but realized that I was becoming increasingly frustrated OOC with omni and it was having a negative impact on my interactions with him.

So, when this latest concern arose, I removed myself from the equation. I didn't feel I could make a fair judgement, and recused myself to try and make sure all parties were treated fairly. I asked Rando to step in, and moderate things. I am very pleased to have a good Team, and Rando stepped up. However, ill feeligns continued, and we tried to work those out among all involved parties. Apologies were said from the other parties, but omni did not make more than a token apology at best. Rando's IRL time was limited, so Lleban was asked to review matters, form his own opinions, and make judgement calls. Lleban did so, with the full support of both myself and Rando.

Lleban's judgement was to provide an ultimatum: find a solution that everyone can be happy with, or be removed from the game.

When attempts were made to find such a solution, they weren't satisfactory to everyone.

So the GM Team, as a whole, discussed the matter. I believe that the best comment I can give is a paraphrase of one of the GM Team members:

Many people make deals with omni, and become frustrated OOC afterwards; additionally, the GM Team is spending increasingly more time adjudicating and giving attention to one player, rather then everyone as a whole. Because of this, the discussion of a - and the decision to - ban is justified.

What Happens Now?

I expect omni to will want to comment in the OOC thread, defending himself. Potentially asking for another chance, or just saying farewell. The former will be ignored; the latter is welcomed. I hope he will understand our decision, but further IC posts and Event posts from omnitricks will be ignored by the GM Team, and should be ignored by players as well.

I am reminded of something someone said in the Discord chat, though (again, likely paraphrasing): If you can't trust the GM Team, why play in the game?

I hope that Omni will be the only person we lose because of this decision. But if there are any other players whom have questions, I have been careful to document evidence that led up to this decision. If you are legitimately concerned that the GM Team may be "out to get you" because of our decision to ban Omni, I can provide more details. This is a serious matter, so serious inquiries only, please. Don't troll me on this. Not even jokingly. I won't have my usual sense of humor for this situation.

The GM Team wishes omni the best of luck in other Order of the Stick Forum games, but stand unanimous in saying: You are not welcome in this one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got my Master's Degree for games (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

30. - Top - End - #270

I can not seem to find what happened in O7 and P10.

Aside from that, in the round opener, it is written:

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post

The following regions go Unstable due to continued lack of interest from their sovereign governments… (OOC: Write-ups still requested…Write ups provided during the course of Round 10 will reduce Unstable to Unrest)

EAA L22 (now R4)
    And yet I submitted R4 well before the round close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Sue View Post
    Region Submission

The Starless Veil

Region R4

Show
    Parent System: EAA
    Local System: The Starless Veil
    Resource: Energy Crystals [Good]
    Learning Center: The Firmament [Open]

Show
    A supermassive black hole sits in the center of the Starless Veil, but the region was not always starless. Once home to twin orange giant stars, the solar system was forever altered when one of the two giants erupted into a supernova and eventually a black hole was formed from the remains of that explosion. The twin eventually drifted too close to its former partner and was slowly unraveled as its particles breached the inescapable event horizon. Some of its particles live on as the black hole’s accretion disk which generates a great deal of heat, if a very dim light, for the sole survivors in the region. Several large planets orbit the supermassive black hole and the remains of its twin, but the only remaining bastion of life in the star system is upon a desolate moon that was very nearly overlooked by the Explorers credited with the discovery of the star system.

Tidally locked, Soma III is completely cold and barren on the far side of the moon. Warmed by the great amounts of radiation emitted by the accretion disk, the side facing the black hole supports those hardy enough to weather through their extreme conditions. Signs of life, marked by the decaying remnants of a once sophisticated civilization, are evident in the existence of large biodomes, several of which appear to be dark and nonfunctional. Dwelling in constant darkness, the denizens of Soma III use ultraviolet light to grow their food and subsist on an entirely vegetarian diet, as the moon itself holds no native flora or fauna. The planet which Soma III still orbits seems to be a barren wasteland, lacking any signs of life, sapient or otherwise. The Alysian Explorers who initially discovered the Starless Veil have posited that perhaps it had been the protection of the biodomes that saved the inhabitants from being irradiated as the planet below them and whatever life once dwelled there had been when the original star went supernova.

Show
    Dwelling as they do, in a world of constant nearly pitch darkness, the appearance of the denizens of Soma III might seem grotesque to some. Over countless generations, they have evolved paper-white skin with a subtle translucent quality that lends their complexion a vague pinkness wherever their capillaries converge together. Large sunken areas of concave skin cover the areas that once held eyes. They have large, rounded ears that can move independently of one another and can utilise echolocation to help them navigate in the darkness.

Calling themselves simply “The People”, the people of Soma III subsist entirely on the fruits and vegetables that they grow in the remaining biodomes and recycle wastewater through sophisticated filters so little truly goes to waste. The people are entirely pacifists and live in large communes where everybody is guaranteed the basic food, water and shelter necessary for survival. Their leader is known as the “Foreman” and he oversees the lunar mining operations and upkeep of the mining and biodome technology that seems more advanced that what the people of Soma III are capable of currently producing.

Show
    No recorded history of Soma III or its denuded planet exists. The people and their Foreman tell of an ancient and mysterious race they call “The Progenitors” that they claim once inhabited the planet below, the relics of which have been almost completely destroyed and the remnants being so warped that little knowledge might be gained from them. According to the people, it was The Progenitors that had created the technology to allow habitation on the Soma III surface and also to delve deep into the moon’s depths to extract the rare and valuable energy crystals that the people use to keep the habitat and mining equipment running. It is unknown whether The Progenitors perished in one of the solar disasters that occured in the Veil or if they had abandoned the solar system much earlier.

Show
    The People of Soma III have several stories of the dying stars and The Progenitors that once shared their solar system with them, but do not hold to any recognizable ideology. There is a damaged biodome that once held an Oculory, the people refer to it as The Firmament and it seems to have once been the center for learning and study on Soma III.
    LC: The Firmament (Open)

Show
    The Energy Crystals that the people mine deep below the lunar surface of Soma III pulse a vibrant bluish purple, an indication of the incredible power each irregular crystal holds within. Both long lasting and versatile, the Energy Crystals of Soma III can be used to power a wide variety of technology.
    Resource:
    Energy Crystals (Good, TP 2 EAA)
    Also for submission:

Ghost-written by Aedilred

The White Sector

(AKA the Outhusting)
    P6

Spoiler: Geography
    Show

The sector comprises the usual starfield with the same variety one would normally expect. It is most notable for the portion of it which comprises the Outhusting, a kritarchy which uses the somewhat grandiose alternative title of “the Hundred Worlds”. In reality, many of the “hundred worlds” are mining or production stations inhabited only by mechanical robots and servitors, or “preserve” worlds where settlement is prohibited and the only visitors are tourists.

Other than a few station supervisors, and those rich enough to maintain their own offworld demesnes, the people inhabit the planet of Ardbol and its two moons. Ardbol is still sometimes referred to as the Inhusting, reflecting the distinction that became necessary following offworld expansion.

Ardbol is a typical tellurian planet with a moderately dense population, principally concentrated in the capital, Hoystat. Hoystat is defined from a distance by the twin palaces of the Master and the Aldhouse, but surrounding this, for a distance now extending to miles before it starts to turn into general residential housing, is the Commons and its surrounds: a sea of colleges, halls, inns and courthouses which house the working population of the region. Some of the courthouses are grand structures in their own right; some operate from more apparently informal settings within the colleges and inns, and some have colonised halls and chambers within the palaces themselves.

While much of the architecture is on its own terms rather pleasant, the whole, including both the fresh and glorious and the old and dilapidated, is something of a labyrinth. Despite attempts to install shuttle systems, the area is principally pedestrianised, and navigating the area on foot is something new residents quickly learn. Visitors, by contrast, often struggle.

There are cities beside Hoystat, of course, both on Ardbol itself, and on its moons, but it is by far the largest and most important, and a fast connection to the capital is an essential feature of any residence for anyone with any aspirations to be anyone.

Show
    The population of the Outhusting is human, with a slight tendency towards being thin and gaunt.

Other than the ancient and ossified plutocrats descended from those fortunate enough to enrich themselves before the technological revolutions which changed Hustinger life, the population principally lead lives of somewhat limited leisure. Extensive automation of increasingly less basic functions has removed most need for work by actual people. This does however come at a cost, and while the society is prosperous it is by no means post-scarcity. Complete destitution is rare, but those who cannot find gainful employment (or inherit a fortune) lead dully austere lives.

The one profession that has survived, indeed thrived, in the aftermath of the desolation of employment, is the law. The importance of the law, which extends to govern almost all elements of life, is paramount, and hordes of black-clad lawyers scuttle around Ardbol, their occupational heroism helping to maintain the society which supports everyone else.

The number of different courts, and the inherent difficulty of arguing successfully before them, has led to a stratification of the legal profession, with the precise status of a given lawyer identifiable from the colour, fabric, lining and trim of the gown they wear. As these gowns comprise not only part of the professional uniform but also formalwear, at any decent social event it is usually easy to tell who the successful and highest-ranked lawyers, consequently those individuals most worthy of time and respect, are.

Show

The recognisable history of the Outhusting emerged from a catastrophic civil war, when it was simply the Husting. In a battle between the Master and the Aldhouse, the legislative body, over which was to rule, the Aldhouse stood triumphant. Seeking to consolidate its victory, it had the Master executed and began to pass laws shoring up its position as the sovereign, unimpeachable authority in the land.

One of these bills was challenged in the courts of law by Cuthwin, a Magisterial loyalist, and to the surprise of many the court ruled in his favour. Having no time for this, the leading Aldhousermen ordered the military to intervene to shut down the troublesome court and arrest the petitioner.

The army commander at the time was Osgar. He refused the order and claimed that it was for the courts to decide what was lawful. Aldhouse authority withered as the army stood by, recognising the court's jurisdiction. Within months, the court had ordered the restitution of the office of Master, and the Aldhouse was relegated to little more than a debating chamber.

In recognition of this quiet revolution in Husting politics, Cuthwin and Osgar, together with the judges who passed the defining judgment, are still considered among the Outhusting's greatest heroes, and memorials and statues to them can be found even in some of the most remote industrial stations.

While the Master remained in situ as a nominal head of state it was clear where the real power lay. As the significance of this was appreciated, an army of lawyers descended upon the courts, wielding precedents and new judicial interpretations. If statute law was not to be sacrosanct, the whole law of the land was up for rewriting. The courts took to the challenge with gusto, and a vast coral reef of judgments, based on common law, immemorial custom, distinction, reason and natural justice, built up around the core laws of the kingdom surviving from before the war.

Over the ensuing years, the law and its interpretation has if anything cemented its position at the heart of Outhustinger life.

Show

The head of state is the Master, who lives within a virtual prison of procedures, forms and court ceremonials which prescribe almost his entire waking life (and much of his sleeping life too). He is supported by a group of magisterial officers, all of whom have some legal training, and the Aldhouse, which remains the body which nominally passes new laws, and is populated principally by retired lawyers from across the system.

In practice, bills passed by the Aldhouse and signed into law by the Master do not become effective until a court has ruled on them and found them to be effective.

There are twenty-nine courts, each with jurisdiction over a different area of law, although there is a substantial degree of overlap. These are: the Court of Common Pleas, the Soke Courts, the Court of Exchequer, the Court of the Master's Bench, the Daffodil Chamber, the Court for Crown Cases Reserved, the Court of High Commission, the Court of Protection, the Court of Chivalry, the Crown Court, the Matrimonial and Divorce Court, the Judicial Committee of the Aldhouse, the Mercantile Court, the Judicial Committee of the Master's Council, the Court of Probate, the Court of Array, the Court of the Verge, the Court of Requests, the Courts Martial, the Commissary Court, the Consistory Court, the Court of Faculties, the Court of Peculiars, the Court of Arches, the Court of Session, the Admiralty Court, the High Court of Constabulary, the Court of Cassation and the Consular Courts, although the last may not truly count.

In addition, many courts are subdivided into Petty and Grand divisions, the Petty division dealing with trivial matters, and the Grand Courts dealing with more weighty ones. Litigation must be commenced in the correct court for the matter to be tried, using a correct writ of action for the court in question and an appropriate cause of action for the writ used. Bringing a claim in the wrong court can lead to the claim being struck out, indefinitely delayed, or transferred to a different court altogether.

Once the writ is brought and accepted by the court in the form of a summons, the plaintiff will issue a complaint, following which the defendant will issue an answer, followed by a reply, a rejoinder, a surrejoinder, a rebuttal, a surrebuttal, and so on. If the defendant has issue with the plaintiff too, they may issue a countercomplaint in which case the plaintiff will follow with its own answer, etc. Beyond the surrebuttal, the parties must have permission from the court to file further pleadings, but this is almost always granted.

Once this is done, the parties move on to the process of gathering and presenting evidence, examining and cross-examining witnesses, formal legal argument and so on. Eventually, the judge renders judgment, which is reported and published as new law (as even where it merely confirms an existing judgment, it is liable to be cited as precedent in the event of later attempted distinction).

Should judgment go the wrong way, the wronged litigant may appeal through each of the chains of the appeal courts: the Court of Principal, the Senior Circuit, the High Court, the Court of the Roll, the Court of High Appeal, and finally the Master's Own Court. Not all courts have the same appeal process, but the process has some similarity across all the courts.

The record for the longest case in time (not including appeals) is believed to be [ ], which lasted 115 years at first instance. Sometimes it appears that litigants are attempting to break this record.

So is the business of government done, and the law which determines all that is correct behaviour determined, developed and codified.

Show

Although the volume of litigation taking place at any one time is staggering, the lure of the legal profession (especially in the absence of much else productive for young people to occupy their time with) means that there is a consistent surfeit of lawyers. This frequently leads to tragic consequences.

Cruel observers may find amusement in watching lawyers literally begging for work on courthouse steps, accosting passers-by and pleading with them to commence litigation so that they can earn some money. But it is the sad truth that a significant number of legal professionals go to bed cold and hungry each night, in uncomfortable bedsits, without even a glass of claret in which to drown their sorrows. One would have to have a heart of stone not to sympathise, and only more work – and higher fees – for lawyers will be able to remedy the situation.

With the opportunities opened up by the Alysian contact, many young lawyers are consequently eager to venture to pastures new, to learn new systems of law and practise their skills elsewhere in the galaxy.

Show

The main institution of learning is the Commons of the Master's Court, a sprawling complex around the base of the Master's residence and which operates as a training centre for students of the law. Subdivided into a number of teaching institutions (known as colleges, halls, or inns) this is the only body licensed to issue legal qualification and all real lawyers must pass through its gates. There are probably tens of thousands of students there at any one time, and the Commons is also home to a large number of practising lawyers.

Unsurprisingly, the Commons has longstanding traditions in the theories of jurisprudence, legal ethics, philosophy of law, and numerous schools of thought in each, some of which come to dominate at different periods. For the first time, the Commons has now seized upon an outside idea, that of the Nine Lights, a new ideology which has spread rapidly among the student population and much of the teaching faculty.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    God, get it together Mary.
    Thank you to AsteriskAmp for the lovely avatar!