1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Need help making my character strong

Playing in a one shot tomorrow. Just found out about it yesterday. Honestly not really pumped for it, but figure I'll play anyways. (Screw Depression). Anyways, trying to figure out how to make a really strong character. Been following this guide http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...gth-in-d-amp-d. But some of the stuff in it like Bite of the Werebear isn't allowed. (Because the book isn't allowed) (Honestly not sure how he picked the books he did :P) Anyways, instead of making a fuss trying to figure things out inside the parameters given me.

Does anyone know of any good enhancements or other types of bonuses for making a Level 20 Strength Based character?

Can only use: PH, PH2, RoS, RotW, DMG, MM*, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Complete Arcane.

I know about Bull's Strength, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Belt of Giant's Strength for Enhancement bonuses. (Asking about Augmenting the duration of Cleric Granted Power for Strength in another thread atm).

Probably going to make either a Wu Jen for Giant Size or make an item that uses it. And Barbarian's. I know there's the attribute bonuses from every 4 levels and Tome's up to +5. Don't really care about anything else other than making my character really strong.

(Oh also forgot about Orc's, Minotaurs, and Ogre's) I can only get up to +4 LA. (No clue if HD is included in general in LA).

I dunno. Thanks for any input you can give. I really do appreciate it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Need help making my character strong

At level 20, there's a lot more to a powerful character than a high Str score. Make a Druid 20, stay wild shaped into a Dire Bear, and you've got Str 31, plus tons of buffs and offensive options.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    At level 20, there's a lot more to a powerful character than a high Str score.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Make a Druid 20, stay wild shaped into a Dire Bear, and you've got Str 31, plus tons of buffs and offensive options.
    Depending on his group's optimisation level, Bear Warrior (Complete Warrior, page 16) may be another option. It's definitely nowhere near as good as Druid, but if he just wants to play a big bruiser, 5 levels will work just fine for getting him a good Str score.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Maybe your DM will laugh when you roll your character up as a 1E/2E fighter then convert him to 3.5 for a conversion bonus to Strength...

Stone Giant will give you a +16 ST for LA +4.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Draconic Polymorph into a War Troll -> Strength 39, Constitution 31
    2) Cast Bite of the Werebear -> Strength +16 (enhancement), Constitution+8(enhancement)
    3) Cast Giant Size. -> Strength +32, Constitution+12

Net effect: Strength 87, Constitution 51, Dazing Blow DC 40 at level 20.
    ExFighter: Immunity to Wizard
    Stutter Caster: Eliminate all spell defenses (SR, Save, AC).
    The Clockwork Wizard: All spells in no time.
    Piercing Immunities: Uncounterable Counters.
    Planar Soldiers of Mystra: Invincibility from planar traits.
    A Core Only Fighter 20 that kills things

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Eh, just be a Cleric. It offers the highest strength you can get. With these sources, you have:
    Shapechange (Animal-domain is a must)
    Miracle for Giant Size [Complete Arcane]
    Divine Power
    Greater Visage of the Deity [Complete Divine]

And with these books, Divine Metamagic: Persist Spell and Extra Turning are on the table so you can have all of those up all day for two days (use a Greater Rod of Extend Spell in conjunction with Divine Metamagic: Extend Spell to have 48 hour buffs). This would net you:
    43 base Strength (Titan - though do use Beads of Karma [DMG] or Death Knell [PHB] or whatever to pump your caster level so you can acquire any other form too)
    +32 size-bonus to Str from Giant Size
    +6 enhancement-bonus to Str from Divine Power
    +4 untyped from Greater Visage of the deity

Though RAI for Giant Size probably only gives you bonuses equal to the size categories you increase. With such a ruling, Leonal is pretty good; 27 base Str + 32 Giant Size = 59, +6 Divine Power = 65. Add +5 inherent from Wishes/Tome and +4 from Visage and you're at 74. All the while having Pounce and full attack so you can just charge someone and rip their face off.

Titan would get 90 Str if the DM ruled you get full Str bonuses from Giant Size. Other forms of note include Marut (Large, 35 Str, a bucketload of immunities), Balor (Large, 35 Str, superb stats, a Vorpal sword, etc.), Pit Fiend (Large, 37 Str, superb stats, auras and poisons and see in darkness and such) and Solar (only 28 Str, but superb immunities and passive effects, Slaying bow [probably], etc.). If DM rules you don't get full bonuses for size increases, it would stand to reason you gain +8 Str less per size category, so Larges would get +24 Str and Huges would get +16 Str (since the spell grants the usual size modifiers for increasing in size). This would leave the creatures at:

Titan at 74 Str (+16 from Giant Size)
    Marut/Balor at 74 Str (+24 from Giant Size)
    Pit Fiend at 76 Str (+24 from Giant Size)
    Solar at 67 Str (+24 from Giant Size)

In this case, Leonal would be extremely competitive (Pounce is kinda nice), though the immunities offered by the Marut are amazing as well. And well, you can always swift action teleport or something to get next to enemies, for casters Pounce is strictly optional (and you can always stay Marut or Dread Wraith or some other safe form by default and only turn to Leonal the turn you need to charge).

To navigate around in Colossal forms, I recommend also persisting Greater Blink [Complete Arcane] (also through Miracle) or some subsequent transformation that doesn't touch your Str (such as Alter Self). Solar has the advantage of being able to use Change Shape Su-ability to be Medium with Colossal stats.

For other fun uses of Shapechange (all of which you have access to as a free action), peruse the Shapechange Handbook. Also, throw on all the Pacts from Complete Divine as well as Contingency through Miracle (Contingency on Teleport is a staple). And cast all your buffs with Prayer Bead of Karma, Orange Prism Ioun Stone, and any caster level boosters you can find so as to make dispelling harder. And prepare extra copies just in case. If you wanna go Evil (almost certainly the stronger option, for Animate Dead, Rebuke Undead, Death Knell and company), don't forget to use Death Knell in your buff routine.

These sources also contain Dweomerkeeper (it's in the Complete Divine Web Enhancement), which would make you immune to dispelling with Supernatural Spell (not to mention, make metamagic cheaper, make you able to ignore material components from your spells and such). If not, you have lots of great classes in Complete Divine; Church Inquisitor, Radiant Servant, Contemplative, Divine Oracle are all very strong. Also, DMG contains the Thaumaturgist, which is kinda free. You can combine all these to something like Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 1/Divine Oracle 2/Thaumaturgist 5/Contemplative 1/Divine Oracle +8 For example. This gets you Immune to Surprise from Divine Oracle, which is really good, alongside 3 bonus domains and various kinds of immunities, Contingent Summon Monster for every fight (you can get Leonals with SMIX for example, those things have Wall of Force at will) and other cool stuff. If you're not Rebuking Undead, you don't need to care about your levels in the actual Cleric-class. Indeed, the class has no class features so might as well multiclass into classes that do give you something.

Obviously be Human for extra feats.
    1. Extend Spell
    B. Persistent Spell [Complete Arcane]
    3. Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell [Complete Divine]
    6-18. Prerequisites and enough Extra Turnings to get the job done (remember, you can ignore your physical ability scores so you can afford a decent Charisma and go Venerable if you want to). You need 3-4 Extra Turnings to persist 3 spells per day (that last two days thanks to Extend Spell so you can maintain 6 persistent spells at all times).

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you want to, the Rage-spell gives you +2 more to Strength but at severe limitations. If you want, you can access it through Liberation or Madness domains (both in Complete Divine).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-06-09 at 11:53 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

there is a PrC who's name i can never recall that does nothing but give you +2 STR at every level. Of course it's offset by also giving you +0 BAB over the 10 levels also...

Medals The Mod Life Crisis
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    there is a PrC who's name i can never recall that does nothing but give you +2 STR at every level. Of course it's offset by also giving you +0 BAB over the 10 levels also...
    War Hulk, but it's from the Miniatures Handbook.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    It also makes you unable to use Int, Wis, or Cha skills besides Intimidate, which is why it's meant to be a class for NPCs.