Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Tristalt Madness [5E]

So, I've a hankering for some crazy 5E gameplay. As such, I'd like to recruit a DM and players for a tristalt game.

I'm leaning towards being a Rogue//Paladin//Warlock, for Charisma for days.

Anyone else interested?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-06-16 at 09:31 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Tristalt Madness [5E]

Iím down for a bard-warlock-sorcerer-paladin.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-06-09 at 06:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Tristalt? Oh man. I'm down to try a couple different combos. Sorcerer/paladin/barbarian maybe?

Or druid/barbarian/ranger??
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2019-06-08 at 09:17 PM.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

I'm interested. A Warlock//Sorcerer//Monk could be interesting to play...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Madness?

I'd probably make a Diviner Wizard//Arcane Trickster Rogue//Eldritch Knight Fighter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd be interested in playing this, not sure what as yet though. Sorcerer/Paladin/Hexblade?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. Charisma heavy characters can really shine here

8. - Top - End - #8

I'll be fascinating to see if this game gets off the ground. Gestalt 5e isn't exactly common, and I don't think I've seen Tristalt before.

Important question, however: What level are we talking about here? Because Level 1-2 doesn't interest me, Level 5 is much more engaging, and something like level 11 or so would really be awesome to see.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

What if you get to choose and gain benefits of TWO archetypes? Like, you could be a Hexblade Raven Queen warlock 8//Ancients Tyranny paladin 12, or something.

I'd play a warforged arcana+zeal cleric//pyromancy+phoenix sorcerer//evocation+lore mastery wizard, in that case. I'd imagine him like this!

Edit: Even if I don't get to play him, I'm building him anyway. Still deciding between different classes, though.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-06-09 at 11:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

That idea would probably need its only Recruitment thread.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

i would be interested as a player for tri-sault 5E
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-09 at 11:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Iím interested,

But first I have just the worst of questions...

Can someone explain Gestalt and Tristalt? I get the idea that itís 2, and 3 classes respectively. But the exact method Iím not familiar with.

Regardless, Iíd play a Rogue+Monk+Fighter(Dex) for the ultimate sneaky attacking fists of fury!

Another idea Iím lookin at is Rogue, Monk, Barbarian for the ultimate Unarmored defense
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-06-09 at 08:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

There's no official way to do 5e gestalt or tristalt. Depends on DM. In 3.5, it went like this. In 5e, my personal take on gestalt was this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    Spoiler: Gestalt Rules
    Show
    I'll give this a shot.

You choose which class's saves to get

Take the higher of the two class hit-die

Take the skill lists from both classes and take the highest skill choices from one of your classes.
    For example if you are a Fighter Rogue at 1st level you choose 4 skills from: Acrobatics, Animal handling, Athletics, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Survival

You choose which class ASI to follow. So a fighter/wizard who picks fighter ASI will gain 1 asi at levels 4,6,8 etc.

Lets not stack similar class features. The point here is to be an exceptional individual, not two people in one body. No, you don't get two extra attacks at level 5. Same for channel divinity.

Spellcasting:
    Choose the best spellcasting progression for spell slots. For example if you are a Cleric Paladin you would take the Clericís spell slot progression.
    Choose the best spellcasting ability from either class. For example if you are a Sorcerer Wizard and Charisma is your highest ability score then you use Charisma for all Sorcerer and Wizard spells you cast.
    Choose the best Cantrips Known progression from your classes, you may choose cantrips from either classís spell list.

If you're two spontaneous/non-prep casters (ranger/sorcerer), take the higher spells known, choose from either list.
    If you're two prep casters, prepare a number equal to [char level+spell-casting ability]
    If you're a mix -At each level choose spells known from the spontaneous spellcasterís spell list, the spells you choose serve as that class'sí spell list that you can prepare from.
    At the start of each day you prepare a number of spells equal to either your spontaneous spellcastersí spells known or the number of spells you're prepared class would normally prepare (whichever is higher) for the day from either class's spell list.
    Warlocks are... weird. Lets say you can choose to have a number of spells equal to warlock or equal to whatever other caster. If you choose to have more slots, you give up your short rest restore. Mystic Arcanum can be from either class's spell list.
    imo, it's a system that heavily favors gishing over going all melee or all spells. It can be fun, but my experience with it is limited. Tristalt will be like that, but even moreso.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

generically for 5th you would get the class features of each stacking if appropriate, the non duplicated saves 1 time, the non duplicated skills 1 time, you would get the non duplicated proficiencies of each, then for starting money the better of the 3 classes, proficiency bonus would be according to actual character level, you would get the best hit die of the 3 classes,

edit
    and I think that covers it.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-09 at 11:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

There's no official way to do 5e gestalt or tristalt. Depends on DM. In 3.5, it went like this. In 5e, my personal take on gestalt was this.

imo, it's a system that heavily favors gishing over going all melee or all spells. It can be fun, but my experience with it is limited. Tristalt will be like that, but even moreso.
    Interesting

Question,
    When you level up, you get the features from all 3 classes, correct?

Iím getting a boatload of ideas, like a fighter/rogue/paladin for the ultimate critical strike

Edit: what about fighting style? If Iím paladin/fighter do I get 2 early?
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-06-09 at 09:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    Interesting

Question,
    When you level up, you get the features from all 3 classes, correct?

Iím getting a boatload of ideas, like a fighter/rogue/paladin for the ultimate critical strike
    Yeah, that's the idea, go for crazy builds

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    I'll be fascinating to see if this game gets off the ground. Gestalt 5e isn't exactly common, and I don't think I've seen Tristalt before.

Important question, however: What level are we talking about here? Because Level 1-2 doesn't interest me, Level 5 is much more engaging, and something like level 11 or so would really be awesome to see.
    I want room to progress, so I don't think higher than level 5 is my preference.

DM dependent, though.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

I mean, it all depends on whenever or not we get a DM, and how the DM decides to rule the Gestalt rules working. Smith is right in that there are no official Gestalt 5th Edition rules, so there are several ways that people may run with it. Ranging from something like 'You chose the HD, Saves, Spell Progression and Skills from your class selection'. To 'You take the best HD, add the saves, Skills and Spell Progression together'.

So I think I'm going to withdraw on putting forwards my build ideas until we have a better idea about what rules we are using, as well as what level of play we will be starting at.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Vaguely interested.
    I'm one of those people who ruins X-stalt/epic games for everybody who's just wanting to play legendary figures.

Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Interested. Thinking Cleric/Monk/Fighter right now.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

If you guys are cool with me running this thing, I'd be happy to test out a fantasy world war type campaign I've had in my head for a while. My experience with D&D is that facing a million mooks is a curbstomp (3e) or a nightmare to run (2e, 4e), or especially likely to kill the PCs (2e, 3e, 4e, 5e). With a tristalt game, I'm thinking that for once I may be able to run an entire battlefield with the players taking a less objective-based role and actually handling all the mooks. There would still be objectives, especially if you fight (for example) against hordes of critters streaming out of portals.

Anyway, the limits on actions are still a problem, so you'd need allies, but I feel that a tristalt party of 4 could thrive in this campaign.
    If we get a few people on board with legit taking on seventy skeletons at once, then I'll do a big 16.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-06-09 at 11:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    If you guys are cool with me running this thing, I'd be happy to test out a fantasy world war type campaign I've had in my head for a while. My experience with D&D is that facing a million mooks is a curbstomp (3e) or a nightmare to run (2e, 4e), or especially likely to kill the PCs (2e, 3e, 4e, 5e). With a tristalt game, I'm thinking that for once I may be able to run an entire battlefield with the players taking a less objective-based role and actually handling all the mooks. There would still be objectives, especially if you fight (for example) against hordes of critters streaming out of portals.

Anyway, the limits on actions are still a problem, so you'd need allies, but I feel that a tristalt party of 4 could thrive in this campaign.
    If we get a few people on board with legit taking on seventy skeletons at once, then I'll do a big 16.
    i say bring on the big 16

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm down. Gotta ask for the purpose of martial heavy characters, consider the cleave rule from the dmg? Makes it so action economy isn't working quite so hard against us?

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

I'm down. Gotta ask for the purpose of martial heavy characters, consider the cleave rule from the dmg? Makes it so action economy isn't working quite so hard against us?
    Yes, if were going to be fighting 70 some odd minions, I'd need something to make martial worth it, otherwise casters seem like the way to go
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    Yes, if were going to be fighting 70 some odd minions, I'd need something to make martial worth it, otherwise casters seem like the way to go
    Certainly! However, I'd impose that the attack roll must equal or exceed the AC of the additional critters in order for the damage roll over. Like, fighting 3 goblins and a worg with 10 hp left and you roll a 14 vs. AC for 15 damage against the worg, no damage will carry over to a goblin. But, if you roll a 15 or higher to hit, that goblin would take the remaining 5 damage.

I'll write up a big 16, gimme an hour to do dishes and take out the trash. :P
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-06-09 at 12:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

I'd certainly submit a character for that! thinking about an AoO focused character with the tunnel fighter fighting style, (cavalier//rogue//something).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Took me a minute.

Note that you'll get a lot of ASIs. I like feats. Take a feat or two at some point.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    >> What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5e.
    >> What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Homebrew campaign setting of my own creation. The PCs are the leaders of a mercenary company, and they get service requests ranging from hunting down a particular monster to full-on warfare.
    >> How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I'll be taking 4, or fewer if I can't get that many on board.
    >> What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Here for IC and rolls. Discord for OoC. It's free, and you should be able to get into it on any device that you can use to log into Giantitp.
    >> What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Lets start at level 5.
    >> How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Average class starting gold.
    >> Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    No homebrew classes or homebrew prestige classes. UA material (including the Rune Scribe) is allowed.
    >> What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Official content and UA materials only.
    >> By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    27 point buy, do NOT roll for HP. In addition, +1 to all ability scores after point buy. Please put your sheets in Myth-weavers for ease of use.
    >> Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes. You must be some form of neutral alignment.
    >> Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    You can, but please don't overdo it. I need to be able to understand your sheet and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    >> Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Dice rolls should be done using the forum roller.
    >> Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    This tristalt's going down like this:
    You pick one greater save (Dex/Con/Wis) and one lesser save (Str/Int/Cha) from those granted by your classes.
    You pick skills from any of the three lists, with the biggest number of selections between your classes.
    You get all the proficiencies, class features, and so forth of each class as if using the multiclassing rules, EXCEPT that your effective level for determining spell slots cannot exceed your total levels on any one progression track (so cleric 15//eldritch knight 15//wizard 10/assassin 5 would have spell slots as a 15th level caster on the multiclassing table).
    >> Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Yes. I'd like to see a 10 minute background on each character.
    >> Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    I want a good mix of objective-based decision making and gameplay, and hack'n'slash roleplaying extravaganza.
    >> Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Official books are great, UA is fine, no 'brew.

Edit: I'll add more details later.
    Spoiler: Some fun extras
    Show

>> Since this will be a mercenary company, you'll get to fill out your ranks with some special forces, infantry, cavalry, scouts, etc. etc.
    Not all of these options are relegated to player races.
    >> First, each player will get to select an advisor with a challenge rating of 11 or lower. This advisor will never enter combat for you or the mercenary company, but will be either a trusted friend, hired guru, or just someone who owes you a favor for a time you really helped them out. Generally, your advisor is a quest-giver. Your advisor cannot be anyone elseís otherworldly patron or deity; theyíre a regular non-legendary NPC or monster that you could reasonably expect to provide some info once in a while.
    >> Second, the group as a whole is going to pick a monster and give it player class levels. The only limitations as to what this monster can be are that it has to be able to threaten the entire party on its own, and the party has to be able to bring it down without help. This monster is going to be their mercenary companyís ďmuscleĒ. Itís this creature that gives the company a memorable presence on the battlefield, and itís the real reason why a small country might hire you to protect them.
    >> Third, the group will designate one PC as Commander (in charge of infantry and logistics), one as Spymaster (in charge of espionage and information), one as Chief of Forces (in charge of cavalry and the ďmuscleĒ), and one as Champion (to bypass war through dueling).
    >> Fourth, in addition to the above roles, one PC must be treasurer, another must be secretary, and two more must be diplomats (one can cover any blunders made by the other). The treasurer must always make sure the Champion is the best-equipped soldier in the entire mercenary company.
    >> A short rest will take one full day. A long rest will take one full week.
    >> This last oneís a class goodie. Pick two archetypical class options when youíd normally get one. A druid gets two circles, a warlock gets two otherworldly patrons and two pact boons, a fighter gets two archetypes and two fighting styles (and another two fighting styles if a champion). You DONíT get double spells known or prepared, double invocations, double maneuvers known, etc.
    I know this one isnít entirely clear, so if youíre not sure about if you get an extra selection, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-06-14 at 09:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'll likely do the Fighter//Rogue//Wizard I mentioned earlier. Something like the triple-classed Elves of decades past.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Ok....

I am going to submit a gloom stalker//inquisitive//warlock 2/something who creates bubbles of darkness, runs into people and then beats the **** out of them

Alternatively, Ill create a barbarian//rogue//something else, (still need to think what), that focuses on making one huge strike each time.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Still think I'm leaning druid/barb/ranger. Because why not.