1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What's Your Favorite Out-of-Print RPGs?

I've been on a binge reading through RPGs I never got to play. It's been fun looking at how mechanics have evolved from old editions to newer ones, but it also got me in a rabbit hole of purchasing used, out-of-print rpgs like Children of the Sun (2002).

So, do all of you have a favorite RPG past time that you can't find digital versions of anymore? What about them do you remember and like/hate?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Out-of-Print RPGs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Unborne View Post
    I've been on a binge reading through RPGs I never got to play. It's been fun looking at how mechanics have evolved from old editions to newer ones, but it also got me in a rabbit hole of purchasing used, out-of-print rpgs like Children of the Sun (2002).

So, do all of you have a favorite RPG past time that you can't find digital versions of anymore? What about them do you remember and like/hate?
    As far as I know, Crimefighters from Dragon Magazine isn’t available digitally any longer (I could be wrong). Fortunately, I still have my print copy.

I like the setting of this, and the relative simplicity of it. It oozes theme, and the rules, though very much the mechanical style of their time, do serve that theme well. Although it kinda-sorta has classes, they’re really more archetypes of classic pulp heroes that guide your skill choices. And there are a lot of skills to choose, making it one of the early skill-based RPGs. (Plus, the illustrations by Jeff Dee and Willingham which accompany the article are spot on.)

I’d love to play this game again, and wish I had played it more than the very limited times I did.

Almost-not-available would be the Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game and the FACERIP system, which has to be the Best RPG Game Engine Acronym EVER. (Yes, I know that fan sites have it available online, but I have real questions about the legality of that.) Again, a very simple system that perfectly suits the theme of superhero gaming in the Marvel-verse. (And again, glad I still have my print copy! I also have the “Advanced” edition, but I think that one just stuffed in too much clutter.)

So that’s two on my list.

Hmmm... is Paranoia available? That was a hoot.
    And what’s the status of the original Gamma World, or even the second edition? (I know Goblinoid Games offers what appears to be a play-alike version.)

Long ago Dragon reviewed something called “Spawn of Fashan,” which the reviewer decided was a parody of early role playing games, as the title rhymes with “fashion.” (Either that, or it was so dreadful as to effectively be a parody even if not intended that way.) Basically, the Plan 9 From Outer Space of RPGs... I think it’d be a hoot to at least read that.
    “New rule! DON’T PICK UP THE EVIL NECROSTICK!”— One of my teen players.
    So of course, one of the others immediately did.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't exactly an out-of-print RPG, since it's a 3.5 D&D spinoff, but I really wish Midnight hadn't got left behind. I really liked the dark fantasy world-building, the way they shook up how races interact (dwarves can have kids with gnomes and orcs, while elves can have kids with halflings!), the way the Heroic Paths diversify the characters (paving the way for things like Starfinder's Themes and 5e D&D's Backgrounds) and the plucky, rebellious feel that captures some of the early moments of Lord of the Rings and such.

I'd really like to see Fantasy Flight revive it, maybe for 5e or something.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"It Came From the Late Late Late Show"!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Library DM View Post
    Almost-not-available would be the Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game and the FACERIP system, which has to be the Best RPG Game Engine Acronym EVER. (Yes, I know that fan sites have it available online, but I have real questions about the legality of that.) Again, a very simple system that perfectly suits the theme of superhero gaming in the Marvel-verse. (And again, glad I still have my print copy! I also have the “Advanced” edition, but I think that one just stuffed in too much clutter.)
    FASERIP. :)

Said websites are legal. There's a letter from the copyright holders available that details the circumstances. It's a Disney property; it'd shut down by now if there was any question of legality.

6. - Top - End - #6

EvilClericGuy

No longer printed, not out of print:
    SJGames In Nomine.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    FASERIP. :)
    Dang. I knew that.
    I blame Taserface for having a name that messed with my memory.
    Yeah, that works.
    “New rule! DON’T PICK UP THE EVIL NECROSTICK!”— One of my teen players.
    So of course, one of the others immediately did.

8. - Top - End - #8

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Library DM View Post
    Dang. I knew that.
    I blame Taserface for having a name that messed with my memory.
    Yeah, that works.
    Totally legit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

"For ten thousand years did the Bright Empire of Melniboné flourish – ruling the world. Ten thousand years before history was recorded – or ten thousand years after history had ceased to be chronicled. For that span of time, reckon it how you will, the Bright Empire had thrived. Be hopeful, if you like, and think of the dreadful past the Earth has known, or brood upon the future. But if you would believe the unholy truth – then Time is an agony of Now, and so it will always be.

Ravaged, at last, by the formless terror called Time, Melniboné fell and newer nations succeeded her: Ilmiora, Sheegoth, Maidakh, S’aaleem. Then memory began: Ur, India, China, Egypt, Assyria, Persia, Greece, and Rome – all these came after Melniboné. But none lasted ten thousand years.

And none dealt in the terrible mysteries, the secret sorceries of old Melniboné. None used such power or knew how. Only Melniboné ruled the Earth for one hundred centuries – and then she, shaken by the casting of frightful runes, attacked by powers greater than men, powers who decided that Melniboné’s span of ruling had been overlong —- then she crumbled and her sons were scattered. They became wanderers across an Earth which hated and feared them, siring few offspring, slowly dying, slowly forgetting the secrets of their mighty ancestors. Such a one was the cynical, laughing Elric, a man of bitter brooding and gusty humour, proud prince of ruins, lord of a lost and humbled people; last son of Melniboné’s sundered line of kings.

Elric, the moody-eyed wanderer – a lonely man who fought a world, living by his wits and his runesword Stormbringer. Elric, last lord of Melniboné, last worshipper of its grotesque and beautiful gods – reckless reaver and cynical slayer – torn by great griefs and with knowledge locked in his skull which would turn lesser men to babbling idiots. Elric, moulder of madnesses, dabbler in wild delights…"

- "The Dreaming City" by Michael Moorcock

Chaosium's old Stormbringer game had a "magic system" based on summoning and attempting to control demons and elementals. It was completely BADASS! and I thought it was truer to Swords and Sorcery than D&D, and most every RPG I'm familiar with.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    This should also be on my list of RPGs I want to play but never got to...I did run like two mini adventures for friends and guided like 5 character creations...

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season VI

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game. For all its faults, this game is simply always a good time.
    "Love is at the heart of everything: all learning, all relationships. Love, or the lack of it." - Fred Rogers

12. - Top - End - #12

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game. For all its faults, this game is simply always a good time.
    I always wondered how a Street Fighter would fare in a regular WoD game. The WoD fans at college were not amused. In fairness, WoD never appealed to me.

Street Fighter RPG fanfic: http://www.eyrie-productions.com/WL/

Warning: I think it's hilarious, but Eyrie's adaptations may not sit will with purist anime fans. Link should be safe for work.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

I had a friend who loved the original Earthdawn game. He swears up and down it was the best game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    I agree. That was a fun a game.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Theatrix was a fascinating game...anyone else familiar with it?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Reading about Street Fighter reminded me of Thrash, an RPG built for the Street Fighter world. We used to have quick matches of that between our turns in my old 2e AD&D group (epic+ level, 10+ players, so it was like 45 minute rounds.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure HERO 5th edition is out of print.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm guessing AD&D 1E doesn't count. :)
    I'm playing in a Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier PbP right now. It's an out-of-print game that I only just heard of, and it's fun with that Original Series feel. :) Luckily the GM knows the rules, because I'm still muddling through figuring stuff out.
    --Ron--

ETA: more about it here: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...Final_Frontier
    Though the PbP is here: http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=219
    Last edited by rredmond; 2019-06-26 at 02:00 PM.
    Awesome Rutger Hauer Jugger Avatar by Thormag
    OSRIC Wiki & Site
    I play at The Unseen Servant PbP Forums

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I'm pretty sure HERO 5th edition is out of print.
    Heck, if we're talking about specific editions, then 1st ed 7th Sea is on the top of my list.