New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Why the heroes should explain things to Xykon

Xykon isn't unintelligent, and he understands the 'rules' the heroes play by (EDIT: NOT like Elan's dad understands the 'rules' of a narrative. He condescendingly knows heroes are too stupid to lie through their teeth at the final fight, which
    Spoiler: Spoilers for start of Darkness
    Show
    he's been on the losing end during his mortal life more than once.

If they told him 'The Snarl is gonna eat the world ANYWAY, if you blackmail the gods or not!' he'd know it wasn't a bluff!
    Xykon is a sadistic murderer who places no value on the lives of anyone, but he's made clear that he doesn't mind the idea of eventually losing to a band of heroes... after he's seared himself into the memories of the world forever with a tenure as world dictator. He can't HAVE a legacy if the world and all souls there-in are unmade by the Snarl!

Sure, Redcloak is preparing to betray Xykon, and Xykon is readying himself for the moment Redcloak does the deed... But it would be more practical for the heroes to spell it out that NEITHER villain is going to archive their end goal no matter who wins! Same as Durkon trying to get Redcloak to tell his master that the Snarl is going to destroy everything unless he works WITH the other gods!

EDIT: Xykon was willing to let Roy leave and level-up and become more of an actual challenge for him.
    And
    Spoiler: Spoilers for Star of Darkness
    Show
    Xykon explicitly said he wants his LEGACY to be 'ruled the world.'

ALSO EDIT: Elan's dad wanted to rule part of the world from the shadows and die of old age, and didn't mind being an unknown to history as long as he lived a life of luxury in the mean time, and had a cold view what 'should' and 'shouldn't' happen in this adventure.
    Last edited by Alex Warlorn; 2019-06-09 at 11:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why the heroes should explain things to Xykon

Are you confusing Xykon and Tarquin?
    Xykon has made it repeatedly clear that he doesn’t intend to be beaten by ANYONE.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

If Xykon is presented with the options of win, flip the table, or throw the game he's going to go for a or b every time.

Throwing the game just isn't in his nature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, I think you're confusing villains here. I'm pretty sure Xykon would take grim delight in watching the world burn from the safety of his fortress on the Astral Plane.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds like Tarquin.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

You're definitely mistaking with Tarquin. And, while I am of the (probably nonexistant) camp that says Tarquin will show up in the next book headed north with what remains of the Vector Legion, to help his son because he's thought of the consequences of his actions, and probably also "redemption arcs are catching on these days", Tarquin will never be convinced by someone else. He is the convincer, not the convincee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

An anticlimax is the perfect ending for a villain whose chief concern is plot structure, so I think we're never going to see Tarquin again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It sounds much more like what would happen if Tarquin was the big bad; he values his life moreso than being victorious - part of why he has flipped sides so often.
    Xykon is smart enough to know that if his victory means his own death, it isn't worth it. However, that won't stop him. He knows he can just pop out to his fortress and survive, so he's probably going to just roll with it.

Explaining has a chance of working for both Xykon and RC, but Xykon is more likely to just burn everything if he is told his last few decades were pointless, whereas RC will go through a traditional panic attack and might end up not ending all things.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think explaining things to Xykon will work if they tell him that the ritual won't give him anything and only helps TDO. In which case Xykon presumably adopts a new hobby of goblinoid genocide, starting with the one in the red cloak.

I think explaining things to Redcloak has a lot of ways it could go awry. In particular, if Xykon is told that the ritual won't help him and Redcloak doesn't know that TDO won't survive between worlds, it's very likely he'll destroy the final gate as a last ditch effort for plan B. Overall, I think it's very likely the last gate will fall and Redcloak being the one to do it in an attempt to salvage the plan also seems pretty likely.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Overall, I think it's very likely the last gate will fall and Redcloak being the one to do it in an attempt to salvage the plan also seems pretty likely.
    There is only one small problem for that theory, though...
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness Spoilers
    Show
    Redcloak already blew up the first Gate, and so far each Gate has been blown up by a different person.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The premise of the thread seems to be right for the wrong reasons. It would benefit the Order to reveal Redcloak's treachery to Xykon, simply because that makes a two-side fight into a three-side fight even if Xykon can't just obliterate Redcloak in short order.

This has nothing to do with legacy or anything else, though. Xykon was willing to let Roy level up because it'd be more interesting this way. His major motivation a lot of the time is simple boredom and lack of anything that'd challenge him.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-09 at 01:43 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The premise of the thread seems to be right for the wrong reasons. It would benefit the Order to reveal Redcloak's treachery to Redcloak, simply because that makes a two-side fight into a three-side fight...
    Yeah. Redcloak would be beside himself with anger ;)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

But they need to work with Redcloak in order to re-seal the Gates. Getting on his bad side is counter-productive.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The premise of the thread seems to be right for the wrong reasons. It would benefit the Order to reveal Redcloak's treachery to Xykon, simply because that makes a two-side fight into a three-side fight even if Xykon can't just obliterate Redcloak in short order.

This has nothing to do with legacy or anything else, though. Xykon was willing to let Roy level up because it'd be more interesting this way. His major motivation a lot of the time is simple boredom and lack of anything that'd challenge him.
    But they want to make an alliance with Redcloak and his god, ratting him out to Xykon is a terrible way to do that.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

True, I sort of assumed a situation where they would want to fight Redcloak for some reason and forgot that Thor's mission for Durkon precludes that. In this case yeah, they're not going to want to do it.

Then again, I will be surprised if anything goes as smoothly as Thor told Durkon it would.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Warlorn View Post
    ...If they told him 'The Snarl is gonna eat the world ANYWAY, if you blackmail the gods or not!' he'd know it wasn't a bluff! ...
    Except remember that our heroes have no reason to assume he is operating from different info than they are. As far as they know, Xykon and Redcloak know exactly what will happen and don't care. They don't really know WHAT the villains' plan is, so they don't know that about the blackmail scheme.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

People keep saying they should turn Xykon against Redcloak by telling him the truth, have you not been reading the comic? They need Redcloak (or at least the Dark One) to help stop the Snarl, being pasted by Xykon would put a dampener on that.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Except remember that our heroes have no reason to assume he is operating from different info than they are. As far as they know, Xykon and Redcloak know exactly what will happen and don't care. They don't really know WHAT the villains' plan is, so they don't know that about the blackmail scheme.
    They do actually. Xykon was pretty clear about wanting to rule the world, not destroy it, and Thor told them about the "Plane-shifting the Gates" part of the plan.

The rest is pretty simple inferences to make.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #19

WolfInSheepsClothing

What do you think of the possibility that they don't realize that Redcloak has been lying but they accidentally end up revealing it when trying to parlay with Redcloak?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yep. You are right. I had forgotten that bit. I stand corrected.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Post Re: Why the heroes should explain things to Xykon

Even if Redcloak wins, Xykon doesn't get killed. He gets a comfy retirement in Goblinoid Paradise and likely a leading role in The New Plan: enslave everyone who's not a goblinoid.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Even if Redcloak wins, Xykon doesn't get killed. He gets a comfy retirement in Goblinoid Paradise and likely a leading role in The New Plan: enslave everyone who's not a goblinoid.
    No, I'm pretty sure that Redcloak wants Xykon deader than dead at this point.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not sure why we should assume that what Redcloak said before Xykon even became a lich is remotely true. If Redcloak doesn't try to kill Xykon once he can actually do it and justify it to himself, it won't be for a lack of wanting to.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-11 at 03:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not sure why we should assume that what Redcloak said before Xykon even became a lich is remotely true. If Redcloak doesn't try to kill Xykon once he can actually do it and justify it to himself, it won't be for a lack of wanting to.
    Oh, I’m sure he was being honest at the time. But their relationship turned out very differently from what he was picturing.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

deader than dead dead?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I’m sure he was being honest at the time. But their relationship turned out very differently from what he was picturing.
    That's my point, yes. At that moment, he was probably really willing to give Xykon a cushy retirement in the new goblin nation. Not so much now.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-06-11 at 04:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardfolk

That's my point, yes. At that moment, he was probably really willing to give Xykon a cushy retirement in the new goblin nation. Not so much now.
    A cushy retirement in Carceri.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    deader than dead dead?
    Ain’t no coming back from the Snarl.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #29

Lizardfolk

Ain’t no coming back from the Snarl.
    unless plot magic.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I haven't seen anything in-comic that would suggest that. Where did that idea come from?
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.