New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why the heroes should explain things to Xykon

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    That doesn't suggest that dwarves don't hate orcs and goblinoids. Roy actually says the modifier exists for that exact reason. It just says that Durkon is bad at remembering to add modifiers in general. That comic supports my argument completely.
    If you can’t remember that you hate something then you don’t hate it. Durkon, or any other dwarf for that matter, never once in the entire comic shows any kind of hatred towards goblinoids. The joke is (partially) that these modifiers are arbitrary and don’t necessarily map to the characters’ actual personality. OOTS makes many jokes on how nonsensical D&D rules can be, so if you want to argue that dwarf have ‘‘hate goblinoids’’ as a part of their culture you are going to need something more than ‘‘they far a bonus against them’’.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If you can’t remember that you hate something then you don’t hate it. Durkon, or any other dwarf for that matter, never once in the entire comic shows any kind of hatred towards goblinoids. The joke is (partially) that these modifiers are arbitrary and don’t necessarily map to the characters’ actual personality. OOTS makes many jokes on how nonsensical D&D rules can be, so if you want to argue that dwarf have ‘‘hate goblinoids’’ as a part of their culture you are going to need something more than ‘‘they far a bonus against them’’.
    See also
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

If you can’t remember that you hate something then you don’t hate it. Durkon, or any other dwarf for that matter, never once in the entire comic shows any kind of hatred towards goblinoids.
    The comic starts with Durkon slaughtering his way inside a goblin lair with no provocation, including approving of killing goblins in their sleep that never did anything wrong to him.

It's even deeper than hate, dwarves just seems goblins as exp bits to be collected, and the gods themselves blessed their whole race with a bonus to murderize them. It's on a quite subconcisous level like breathing, which you can forget to do when you're too focused on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Whatever the reason, I doubt killing goblins is it, since it seems likely that the goblins were created after the dwarves and most other major races. The whole point of "XP fodder" was that the gods already had people serving them, but they couldn't level up, so then someone came up with the idea to just make sentient targets for the stuff.
    Sooo, the gods can create a whole new race, but can't change the existing ones?

And what purpose besides killing goblins would a bonus to attack/damage against goblins serve? It's not even a defensive bonus like the one against giants. It's the gods literally telling the dwarves "KILL ALL THOSE FILTHY GOBS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

That's a rather lengthy discussion about a strip firmly from the comic's "loosely-related D&D jokes" era.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    The comic starts with Durkon slaughtering his way inside a goblin lair with no provocation, including approving of killing goblins in their sleep that never did anything wrong to him.
    The goblins that serve an evil lich and were attacking nearby villages in the prequel? That's not provocation?

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It's even deeper than hate, dwarves just seems goblins as exp bits to be collected, and the gods themselves blessed their whole race with a bonus to murderize them. It's on a quite subconcisous level like breathing, which you can forget to do when you're too focused on something else.
    Okay but no. First you claimed that the bonus was evidence of their hatrred and now that you admit that the bonus is arbitrarily god-given (and therefore not a reflection of any given individual's belief) you claim that the hatred is subconscious which apparently means it exists without having to manifest in any form? Because again Durkon never once showed any eagerness to fight goblins because they are goblins, mistrusted goblins (like the goblin teeanagers) because they are goblins, racially insulted goblins (as in "dam dirty gobs" or somesuch) or expressed any kind of misgiving at having to work with goblins. And neither have any other dwarf in comic.[/QUOTE]
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The goblins that serve an evil lich and were attacking nearby villages in the prequel? That's not provocation?

Okay but no. First you claimed that the bonus was evidence of their hatrred and now that you admit that the bonus is arbitrarily god-given (and therefore not a reflection of any given individual's belief) you claim that the hatred is subconscious which apparently means it exists without having to manifest in any form? Because again Durkon never once showed any eagerness to fight goblins because they are goblins, mistrusted goblins (like the goblin teeanagers) because they are goblins, racially insulted goblins (as in "dam dirty gobs" or somesuch) or expressed any kind of misgiving at having to work with goblins. And neither have any other dwarf in comic.
    So there's this one guy in the Azure City army, he's actually a dwarf, but really tall for one...

I actually can't think of any instance of a dwarf hating on goblins because they are goblins. Humans yes, but not dwarves. And we've seen a goodly amount lately.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-06-24 at 06:58 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad