New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Desert of Desolation IC

With a few blasts of fire Barhei is able to keep the water away from the yellow curtain and the statues it runs between, while at the same time making the air hot and thick to the point of being difficult to breathe.

Saelihn carefully approaches the pedestal upon which the lamp rests. She notes no obvious traps but quickly realizes that the grab and go plan won't work. In contrast to the dark stone of the room, the surface of the pedestal is covered in a smooth coating of pale amber in which the base of the lamp rests. Even more curious the lid of the lamp is welded shut and the spout for the wick has been filled with a lead plug, the end of which is marked with a pair of interlocking triangles. It would seem whoever constructed this room wanted to make sure that the lamp would never leave or be opened in any way.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No traps that I can see," Saelihn said to the others, "however, a lot of effort has been spent to make sure this thing stays closed, or actually leave the room. I'm not sure what is inside, but I do think it's best to be very cautious if any of you want to open it up."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

You're sure this thing isn't trapped? Talgrun asks as he walks up to the lamp. Well, if that's the case I think we're past subtle at this point anyway, may as well try the direct approach. With that, Talgrun grips the lamp and attempts to wrench it free of the amber.

Spoiler: Strength Check
    Show
    (1d20+2)[14]
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Talgrun heaves but the lamp does not budge.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"At least it didn't blow up," Sealihn said, more to herself than to the others, "well, so far the direct approach. What now. And maybe another question, now that we're closer, does it have any magic on it?"

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

One second, give me a moment, Talgrun says as he focuses his eyes on the lamp.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Talgrun uses Magic Insight, focusing his attention on the lamp in particular.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I wonder what would be easier, breaking the lamp free from the pedestal or just breaking the pedestal to take part of it along with us so we can figure this whole thing out when we're back safe in the light of the Sun"
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Maybe we don't have to take it away, instead we should try to open it?" asked Barhai nobody in particular. "Is there anything of interest in that pair of interlocking triangles close to the lid?" he added after some pause.
    Last edited by Zergh; 2019-09-16 at 07:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Talgrun
    Show
    The lamp does not have a magical aura.

After several moments of straining to rip the lamp free of its stand Talgrun meets with no more success than the first pull, before Barhai voices his suggestion.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Don't throw your back out," Saelihn said to Talgrun, before turning to the sorcerer, "maybe we can also leave it closed. I mean, there were a number of quite interesting stories about this place, most of them not so good."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"We went through a lot of effort to get close to this lamp, so it seems like a waste to not find out why it was locked away and why it is sealed shut. The Sun led us here for a reason"
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, whatever the deal with the lamp is it doesn't seem to be magical at all. Azrael's right though, we haven't gone through all this to just walk away. If I can't pull the lamp, off, I'm going to at least try getting it open. Talgrun proceeds to try prying the lid off the lamp.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As with last time, you may assume Talgrun is taking 20 on the check barring something happening that would stop him.

My Homebrew

Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Sealihn decided that if they really wanted to open the lamp, they weren't going to listen to her. But that didn't mean she couldn't be prepared. Withdrawing a bit from the lamp, but staying away from the lightning curtain, she took her bow and readied herself.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Morekal frowns at the sight of Talgrun unable to pry the lamp loose. He says, "How long do we want to try to get this thing? I'm not sure what else to try if he can't get it open."
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I can try to get it open," Sealihn said, "I have some skill in that area. But I'm still not fully convinced we should even try."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

„Move away from lamp a bit, I'll try to soften joint between the surface of the pedestal and base of the lamp.“ Barhai starts an incantation and fire begun to swirl between his palms. Shortly after, flames thickened, became almost liquid-like and started to get a green hue. Two smoking rays of green acid advanced from his hands and splashed on designated target.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Cast Scorching ray with energy substitution [Acid]. Caster level 7.
    1st ray (4d6)[12]
    2nd ray (4d6)[14]

“Surface is made of amber, can someone check if this made any impact?” finished Barhai while eyeing the pedestal.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Talgrun abandons his efforts to wrench the lid off of the lamp once he notices Barhai casting his spell. Well, if nothing else that should make it a bit easier to pry off. As Talgrun speaks he draws an arrow from his quiver. And if necessary it gives me an idea.

My Homebrew

Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Go ahead," Saelihn said, waiting at a short distance. If she didn't have to touch it, so much the better. Something about this thing gave her the willies.