1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How can I find a group to play with?

How can I best find a group to play with? None of my friends or family, unfortunately, are players

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: How can I find a group to play with?

See if there is a local game store in your area. Sometimes they have bulletin boards or other 'looking for players' things, if they aren't directly running groups in-store.

What games are you looking to play? D&D5e and Pathfinder are going to be the easiest to locate thanks to their respective sanctioned leagues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

My local game store has a website, that's how I found the current game. Many old fashioned stores have a bulletin board.

There's also meetup.com which you can search by game and by town.

if you live in a community with a college campus its pretty good odds there's some gamers there
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It's a little harder, but much more satisfactory, to get your friends interested in gaming than to find a compatible game.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    It's a little harder, but much more satisfactory, to get your friends interested in gaming than to find a compatible game.
    This. As a very general rule of thumb, the other people who want to play but can't find a group, aren't the people you want to play with. This, sadly, is applicable to most things =)

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hoaiphong123 View Post
    How can I best find a group to play with? None of my friends or family, unfortunately, are players
    Once you find a group, be ready to ignore ALL build advice you have ever seen on GitP. Seriously. The power gamer shenanigans that go on around here will often not be welcome in casual games. (I have seen a few really cool exceptions, so keep an open mind.)

Find a game. Ask to sit in on a session before joining the group. If you like what you see, offer to join. Then make a character that fits with the group. From then on, have fun.

7. - Top - End - #7

I found the following was the most successful method for making online groups work.

1. Browse a few different Looking For Group locations. Reddit has an /r/LFG subreddit, roll20 has a few ways to look for potential group members.
    2. Make note of names/contact info of people who seem to fit your preferred time slot, platform, etc.
    3. When you have about ten potential party members, send out messages.
    4. Do normal things like a Session 0 conversation, or whatever else before you actually start playing.

I found that after Step3 I usually get a couple people who confirm they are interested, but never actually participate in Step4 stuff. And a few people who do participate in Step4 but never actually show up for the game (but will confirm they will make the next session). And finally one or two people tend to disappear without notice after a session.

With any luck, you are left with four other people who want to play and can communicate like adults. I found aiming for 3-4 months of playing together is about the time limit before school schedule changes, or other life stuff like work hours or new babies are likely to come up and reduce the number of people.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like games too.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

1. Go to your local FLGSes and ask if anyone is looking to start a group. Often times, they employees/owners will know. Some times there are even bulletin boards with ads asking for players.
    2. Go to local D&D Adventure League/Pathfinder Society meetings. You will meet cool people, some of whom may be looking to make a group!
    3. Go to Facebook and see if there is an RPG group for your local area, this is a great way to meet people and find a group.
    DMing:
    The Exploration of Yrannia - IC / OOC / DOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

As someone who was recently roped into co-DM'ing a beginner's game for teens at the local library, I say check there if the game shops don't have openings.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

if you're in school or college, ask around. your friends don't play, but chances are there's someone who does.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert