I just got a Nokia 6.1; seems it comes with either Android Pie or Android One. I'm really not keen on Google right now, mostly for security/privacy concerns (I'd have waited for a decent Linux phone if my current phone wasn't breaking down), so I was thinking of wiping the OS and installing AOSP. Yeah, it's still Android, and it's still Google, but at least it's open source, so I can reasonably trust that the source code has been checked for things like back doors and data collection.

Anyone have any experience with AOSP? It seems the main drawback is being locked out of the proprietary apps, which is fine since I want to avoid Google products anyway. I'm just concerned that the phone might be missing vital functionality with AOSP. Are there good 3rd party apps to replace proprietary ones? Is AOSP viable for a fully functional smartphone experience? I don't use my phone much, so it might not be as much of an issue, but I'd still want to make sure that the core parts of the phone (calling, texts, camera, music, video, browser, etc.) are working.