New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I want a 'Psychic", how to go about it?

So, Psychic can mean a lot of things.

Professor X? Jean Grey? More like Ness or Lucas from the MOTHER / Earthbound games?

I know it can get really specific. But I'm looking for more of a general feel here.

I can work with my DM about getting certain spells added to a classes spell list, to fit the character and theme. Stuff like Dissonant Whispers and Animate Objects.

But what class provides the best way to do it?

Wizard seems solid. Maybe Diviner, using Portend as a way to see into the future and alter results?

Order Domain also seems really good, as a way to get people to follow what you say, influencing their mind.

Great Old One Warlock is an obvious one. Personally I find the features to be.... underwhelming.

Kalashtar seem perfect for the race, but Ghostwise Halfling isn't a bad one either.

Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: I want a 'Psychic", how to go about it?

Great old one can be good depending on the campaign. In a typical dungeon crawl, its underwhelming. In a grand campaign with lots of politics, mystery, and deception, it can be really good.

I was sceptical but a player rolled a great old one warlock noble with the classic actor + mask of many faces combo and an imp familiar. Detect thoughts and clairvoyance really add a lot to this style of play. In the new saltmarsh book this should allow them to influence the village as they please. Warlock have a big advantage with out of combat spells, since short resting in between is usually a non-issue.

When it comes down to it a warlock doesn't need to invest a whole lot to contribute in combat.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2019-06-10 at 11:18 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you can use the Mystic class from Unearthed Arcana, that's pretty much exactly what you want. It even has different specializations depending on which "type" of psychic you want to be.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Several of my Prestige Options (in the signature) fit this kind of concept, whether that's:

Sorcerer, using Wisdom instead of Charisma.
    Diviner Wizard, using Wisdom instead of Intelligence.
    Monk, using Intelligence instead of Wisdom.

A good way you could pull it off without changes to the rules is by going Land Druid (Coast) 3/Long Death Monk X. You create alter-images of yourself as you hit enemies with your latent psychic abilities and gain power by draining them of their psychic essence. You focus on Wisdom rather than Dexterity.

Lastly, a Whispers Bard gets really close to being a "psychic". Might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-10 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erok0809 View Post
    If you can use the Mystic class from Unearthed Arcana, that's pretty much exactly what you want. It even has different specializations depending on which "type" of psychic you want to be.
    I've read up on it. Played one in a one-shot.

I'll be brutally honest, D&D Beyond's character builder has spoiled me a bit to the point where doing it all by hand again is a bit of a hassle. Additionally, I wasn't very impressed with the Mystic: Sure it had some cool abilities, absolutely, but at the same time it also felt pretty clunky.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Detect Thoughts and Alter Memory are spells you should aim for if you like mind interactions. Dream and Suggestion/Mass Suggestion are similarly good candidates.

For items, I'd recommend aiming for a Ring of Telekinesis at a reasonable point in the game. You can't use it on creatures, but you can lift up to 1,000 lb objects and manipulate with fine control at-will with this beauty. Mage Hand on steroids.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Professor X? Jean Grey? More like Ness or Lucas from the MOTHER / Earthbound games?

I know it can get really specific. But I'm looking for more of a general feel here.

I can work with my DM about getting certain spells added to a classes spell list, to fit the character and theme. Stuff like Dissonant Whispers and Animate Objects.

Wizard seems solid. Maybe Diviner, using Portend as a way to see into the future and alter results?

Order Domain also seems really good, as a way to get people to follow what you say, influencing their mind.

Great Old One Warlock is an obvious one. Personally I find the features to be.... underwhelming.

Kalashtar seem perfect for the race, but Ghostwise Halfling isn't a bad one either.

Any thoughts?
    Archivist Artificer can easily double as a Psychic class. Vedalken for the race. V Human /w Lucky would also work just fine.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Divine Soul Sorcerer?
    - Catapult to sling stones really fast.
    - Earth Tremor/Erupting Earth
    - Detect Thoughts
    - Spiritual Weapon
    - Cloud of Daggers
    - Spirit Guardians
    - Telekinesis
    - Levitate/Fly

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Great Old One Warlock multiclassed with Sorcerer for Subtle Spell could do it. It'd be about spell choice, mainly. The telepathy is actually pretty great, especially in conjunction with charm person usable on targets who don't share your language.

If you want to go homebrew, I have something I was just working on this morning before work, though it's hardly in a complete state. Fluff is something about bloodlines from aberrations/illithids/intellect devourers.

Psionic
    Your sorcerer spellcasting is Psionic, and needs no components. You cannot learn sorcerer spells which have expensive material components, except for find familiar. When casting any sorcerer spell, you have a highly-visible manifestation of your psionic power, whether it be glowing eyes, an aura of light around your body, minor telekinetic effects lifting your hair and loose articles upwards as if in an invisible wind, or similar cosmetic but obvious effects which shed light like a candle for the duration of the casting.

If you cast find familiar, the 100 gp component is a gem, which you imbue with a portion of your own mind to turn it into a psicrystal. It grows ectoplasmic legs and uses the statistics of a spider, though it has the Construct type and an Intelligence of 6. It otherwise functions as a normal familiar granted by the spell. You also gain the option to cast find familiar (if you know it) from a higher level spell slot with a more expensive gem. If you do, you may learn sorcerer spells which require expensive material components up to the level of spell used to create your psicrystal, and up to the value of the gem used in the casting of this spell. You will use your psicrystal as the material component for such spells; this can result in its destruction if the spell consumes the materials.

Psionic Power Points
    At 6th level, when you convert a Sorcerer spell slot into Sorcery Points, you also gain a number of Psionic Power Points equal to the difference between the number of Sorcery Points you obtain and the number it would cost to create a spell slot of that level. Psionic Power Points do not count against your Sorcery Point maximum (and you may store as many of them as you have sorcerer levels), but you end every Short and Long Rest with 0 of them. Psionic Power Points behave like Sorcery Points and can be spent along side them for metamagic and creation of spell slots. However, any metamagic or spell slot even partially paid for with Psionic Power Points must be augmenting a Sorcerer spell cast from a Sorcerer spell slot (never Pact Magic or a spell learned from any other source). Additionally, any spell slot created by even partially spending Psionic Power Points must be spent immediately on a Sorcerer Spell; as such, the creation of the spell slot becomes part of the casting action, rather than a separate bonus action, when even partially paid for by Psionic Power Points.

Psionic Power Points may also increase a purchased spell slot beyond 5th by spending 2 for every additional level, up to a maximum of a 9th level spell slot (for 15 SP+PP). At least one Psionic Power Point must be spent on any purchased spell slot over 5th level.

You cannot spend more SP + PP on any spell level purchased than your Sorcerer level, and you cannot create a spell slot you would not otherwise have from your Sorcerer level (e.g. you cannot create ninth level spell slots before level 17).

Psicrystal Manifestation
    At 14th level, you gain the ability to use the projected fragment of your mind in your psicrystal as the originator of your spells, as long as it is within one mile of you. Both you and your psicrystal must spend the required action to cast the spell, and both of you have the display of psionic might. Both of you must act in the same round, and the spell takes effect at the end of the latter of the two actions (if you do not act on the same initiative, simultaneously). When you do, the spell is cast with all of your statistics, using up your spell slots, psionic power points, and/or sorcery points and calculating all values based on your normal ones, but your psicrystal is the originator and may make any associated actions at the time of the spell's completion (if, for instance, it enables and requires a touch attack). Your psicrystal also maintains any Concentration for that spell, and the spell is interrupted if your psicrystal's Concentration is interrupted.

Mental Renewal
    At 18th level, when you take a short rest, when you roll one or more of your hit dice to regain hit points, you may choose instead to dedicate those hit dice to your Psionic Power Points. When your short rest is over, your Psionic Power Points are set to the number you rolled, rather than zero. Any which exceed your total allowed may become Sorcery Points, instead.
    Last edited by Segev; 2019-06-10 at 04:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRogueGuy

I'd go with Great Old One Warlock.

You get at-will Telepathy, Detect Thoughts, Dissonant Whispers, Synaptic Static, and other mind-altering spells and features. You can reflavor your Eldritch Blast as telekinetic attacks, which works really well with Repelling Blast and Grasp of Hadar.
    Last edited by Trustypeaches; 2019-06-10 at 04:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Any thoughts?
    I played a GOO/StormSorcerer with subtle spell, I had a Mystic in my party, and even then I was the Psychic of the party.

It gives you all the tools you need to be one.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe you should decide the particular flavor of psychic you want? That might help you decide on a class. As a general option, a lot of the classic psychic powers can be imitated with wizard spells.

Just as an Example:

Telepathy: Message, Detect Thoughts
    Telekinesis: Mage Hand, Telekinesis
    Pyrokinesis: Firebolt, Burning Hands

I mean, there are a lot more options, but it really depends on what sort of psychic you are trying to portray.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temperjoke View Post
    Maybe you should decide the particular flavor of psychic you want? That might help you decide on a class. As a general option, a lot of the classic psychic powers can be imitated with wizard spells.

Just as an Example:

Telepathy: Message, Detect Thoughts
    Telekinesis: Mage Hand, Telekinesis
    Pyrokinesis: Firebolt, Burning Hands

I mean, there are a lot more options, but it really depends on what sort of psychic you are trying to portray.
    I forget the specific word.

Telekinesis? Is that where I move stuff with my mind? That one.

Animate Objects, the Telekinesis spell.... I'm kinda out of ideas at this point. Synaptic Static words across the board, I suppose.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Animate Objects, the Telekinesis spell.... I'm kinda out of ideas at this point. Synaptic Static words across the board, I suppose.
    Off the top of my head: Catapult, Levitate, Fly, Hold Person/Monster could all be thought of as Telekinetic spells. edit: and Feather Fall, which has the added bonus of being handy for when your concentration breaks during Fly.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2019-06-11 at 08:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingRogueGuy

Then definitely some kind of warlock.

Nothing represents Telekinesis better than Eldritch Blast with Repelling Blast / Grasp of Hadar. You can flavor the attacks as striking foes with invisible, telekinetic force.

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Off the top of my head: Catapult, Levitate, Fly, Hold Person/Monster could all be thought of as Telekinetic spells. edit: and Feather Fall, which has the added bonus of being handy for when your concentration breaks during Fly.
    You can add all the Wind-based spells into the mix too: Gust, Gust of Wind, Wind Wall, Investitute of Wind (reflavor wind to waves of telekinetic force).

Many abjurations also work as extensions of telekinesis, such as Mage Armor, Shield, and Sanctuary.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lore Bard with 2 levels Seeker (or GOO) Warlock and 3 levels of Sorcerer would probably be best. Choose Gith race to have the Invisible mage hand w/o grabbing Arcane Trickster.
    That gives you a huge swath of utility powers, the force damage cantrip with augmenting invocations, access to the Catapult spell and Quickened spell, and you can use your BI dice to fudge around with your opponent's rolls.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

My instinct would be a specialized Sorcerer background, partially because I don't like the external power aspect of the warlock fluff for this character. You might steal a bit from the Warlock for your bloodline, you might alter the spell list a little to include psychic damage, but if I'm making Professor X, I want my power to have come from being a mutant, not some external force.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Lore Bard with 2 levels Seeker (or GOO) Warlock and 3 levels of Sorcerer would probably be best. Choose Gith race to have the Invisible mage hand w/o grabbing Arcane Trickster.
    That gives you a huge swath of utility powers, the force damage cantrip with augmenting invocations, access to the Catapult spell and Quickened spell, and you can use your BI dice to fudge around with your opponent's rolls.
    Being 5 levels behind the rest of the party? For what reason?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

If Eberon or UA is allowed, a Kalashtar Enchanter Wizard is how I would do it.

Reading and speaking into minds? Super check. You have it at will as a racial ability, as well as being able to mind-link the party as a ritual in later levels. You also have easy access to Detect Thoughts as a second level spell.

Mind Alteration effects? The best in the game. Charm Person, Suggestion, Geas, Hold (x), Modify Memory, ALTER MEMORIES at 14, and you can even affect multiple enemies at once with some powerful effects via Split Enchantment.

Telekinetics? Aside from the Telekinesis Spell, you can run Bigsby’s Hand, Animate Objects, Mage Hand (maybe fluffed to be a glowing psychic nimbus?), Fly, Feather Fall, and some others.

ESP? Divination Spells. They might not be used as often per day as Divination Wizard, but they just could be taxing on the mind.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Something that could be amusing would be picking up Cordon of Arrows with Additional Magical Secrets, and casting it via Quicken (as it's terrible use of an action) peppering the target(s) within range.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureKing View Post
    Being 5 levels behind the rest of the party? For what reason?
    ... to be the best psychic-style attacks? Which is what this thread about?
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Clerics can be pretty good future-seeing psychics. Divination, Commune, and to a lesser extent, Augury can all help you see the future with (DM dependent) accuracy.

Also buffs like Bless and Guiding Bolt can be fluffed to bring good omens or enhance certainty.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Really digging the Warlock the more I think about it. Forced movement around the battlefield essentially at will via Repelling Blast and the like is a great feeling.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I've seen someone play an idea something like this with a lore bard refluffing the bardic inspiration as offering up insights to the future and cutting words as reaching out to affect the events as they happen. By level 5 they refresh on a short rest and they get stronger as the character advances. If you want more "psychic" abilities you can mix in the appropriate spells or add a bit of multiclassing with warlock, sorcerer or a couple of levels of divination wizard.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

So if you're willing to spend most of your Sorcery Points on it, Subtle Spell can give you that "I make things happen through willpower alone" feeling. Combine that with your preferred subclass and you've got a decent Psychic of a sort. Also consider taking spells that don't require Verbal components at all, since throwing your arms around doesn't seem to bother most people on the Psychic flavor front, and you can save some of those points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

For short-term precognition, mix three levels of Mastermind Rogue with the Guidance cantrip (via feat or multiclassing) and the Historian feat from UA. With that combo you can cast guidance and use the Help action on the same turn, giving the target advantage and an extra 1d4+(your proficiency bonus if you pass the Int check) on their next ability check. Refluff the abilities as psychic foretelling and you're good to go.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Okay, for a telekinesis-based psychic I would build it from a GOO Warlock 6/Sorcerer 14 combination.

Why Warlock? Awakened mind is limited mind-to-mind communication, which pairs up as a standard psychic power. Entropic Ward can be fluffed as your innate telekinesis as supporting your melee abilities.

Warlock Invocations: Repelling Blast (pushes), Grasp of Hadar (pulls), Lance of Lethargy (slows enemy)

The sorcerer levels would be for access to their spell list and to have more slots to use spells with.

Recommended spells:

Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    Level 1: Unseen Servant, Expeditious Retreat (think of this as using your powers to move faster), Unseen Servant (you're using your powers to move and do things)

Level 2: Hold Person (using your powers to hold them in place), Spider Climb (using your powers to cling to the walls), Detect Thoughts

Level 3: Fly (your powers are lifting you up)

Spells form the Sorcerer List that are thematic: Feather Fall, Jump, Knock, Water Walk, Animate Objects, Telekinesis, Disintegrate (using your powers to break them apart molecule by molecule), Reverse Gravity