The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: (3.P) Monsters as PC's [OOC]

Ellenallen miss chance, as it does matter: 51 or higher to connect: (1d100)[96]

Going to not take Tark's turn, but roll counter trip, DC 21: (1d20+12)[23]

2. - Top - End - #242

MindFlayer

Tark was not tripped, and I'm not intending criticism in any way. But I don't think he can engage this turn so I'll just start the next and let him take two, as desired.

Luin Whitefur: DC 16 Will save vs. paralysis. Include +4 from Zarakiel's Aura of courage.
    The same will occur when anyone enters line-of-sight to the mummy, currently just Luin Whitefur and Zarakiel.

Zarakiel is 25' away from the mummy, Luin Whitefur 30'.
    Ellenallen is further east, but could actually barely reach the mummy in a move action. (50') Can't charge around corners, but the lance with reach should keep her far enough from the Ghoul Glyph.
    Gudu Sileso you could go just inside the doorway in a double move, or a single move directly west would put you in line of sight of the door. Or single move and readied action. Very difficult shot as the mummy has partial cover and allies would be in the way. Either would require a saving throw vs. paralysis.

Tark you actually have two turns. A double move on the first can get you just inside the door. Your second turn you could charge, but claw/biting the mummy would put you in the Ghoul Glyph's range. Or position ideally and ready an action for when the mummy gets in reach. Which may also get an attack of opportunity, if he tries to engage you or move past you.
    All right, that's a lot of options, sorry.

Photobucket is blurring pictures, so old-school ascii:

No, that won't work. roll20 has accurate positioning, though.

Edit: Welcome back, PM's sent.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-05 at 09:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

MindFlayer

Luin Whitefur is paralyzed for (1d4)[2] rounds, round 1 is current turn.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Ah crap, I forgot the will save: (1d20+4)[20]
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #245

MindFlayer

Midterms are over, now just typical courseload.

Currently party's turn:

Ellenallen has taken her turn, move action into charge position, eldritch blast(standard action, miss), made save vs. paralysis.
    Luin Whitefur is paralyzed with fear for this turn and next.
    Tark did PM me back he's having internet issues. If it is just him left I'll figure something out.

PM'ing Stevesciguy and Aurangzheb again, the latter hasn't been on in a few days.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Posted! Sorry. I've been forgetful, lately
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

7. - Top - End - #247

MindFlayer

Going to try and get things moving.

Tark takes double move to doorway, line of sight of Mummy but would have been near Zarakiel: (1d20+9)[15]
    Gudu Sileso moves west and attempts to fire an arrow:
    Save vs. Paralysis: No bonus from Zarakiel, but +5 from inspiration point: (1d20+10)[14]
    If not paralyzed, arrow shot: [roll]1d20+4[roll] to hit, damage: (1d8+3)[5]

I'll decide Tark's second set of actions if he isn't paralyzed. If he is, Mummy's turn will be up.

8. - Top - End - #248

MindFlayer

I think I need to assign a player to take those turns. Mummy's turn now.

Luin Whitefur will miss next turn, but after party goes could conceivably use immediate actions. Or attack of opportunity, if that somehow came up.

Tark is paralyzed for (1d4)[2] rounds.
    Gudu Sileso is paralyzed for (1d4)[3] rounds.

9. - Top - End - #249

MindFlayer

Well, at least I continue dice luck with Mummy's to-hit. Even with presumable charge penalty to Zarakiel's AC that's a miss.

Party's turn is up, PM'ing those who have actions. Which is only two, well that saves PM box space if nothing else.

Tark and Luin Whitefur sit this one out, but can make immediate actions as soon as the party's turn ends. As well as the party's next turn.

Sudu Gileso misses this turn and next.

Ellenallen has open space to charge, and assuming a lance is used will be far enough from the glyph not to trigger it.

10. - Top - End - #250

Mistakes were made. Heavy maces do not have 1d20 weapon damage

(1d8+21)[25]

11. - Top - End - #251

MindFlayer

You actually precisely needed the flanking bonus to hit. (AC 20) Which is a hit for 20 damage, counting -5 damage from DR 5/-. Badly damaged but still animate.

The move action to do that draws an AoO from the Mummy. But as it lets you hit and sets up people coming out of paralysis, I'll move your token as you said.

Mummy AoO on Zarakiel, followed by actual turn (soon in IC), then party's turn. With 4 back in action, PM'ing shortly. Upcoming turn will be Sudu Gileso's last in paralysis.

Zarakiel takes 13 damage, currently at 30 remaining.

Party's turn.

Again, Sudu Gileso paralyzed. Tark could charge from his position, and would benefit from flanking (+2). Ellenallen and Zarakiel currently flank the Mummy as well.
    The thump noise is coming from down the hallway to the left/west, but Zarakiel is a bit precoccupied.

Incidentally, I didn't want to spam IC but the Mummy's hit feels really awful. Zarakiel is immune to the disease, but it is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard, though even more internal. No game penalties but not fun at all.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-10 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Mummy Rot

12. - Top - End - #252

MindFlayer

Edit: The glyph is still there, again a lance could destroy it safely.

The Mummy is dead, 2 wand charges would bring Zarakiel to full. Unless he wants to use class abilities.

The zombie does not look to be able to reach you, or effectively hit you from the ground with one arm. Any paladin would be well aware that killing a mindless undead is a notably good act, always.
    (There are rare good undead in Faerun, but all mindless ones are evil.)

Further edit: Combat is over for purposes of inspiration points, maneuvers, and the like.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-11 at 05:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

Do I need to roll to deal with the zombie, or can I just whack it?

14. - Top - End - #254

MindFlayer

No need to roll. Closer inspection reveals it doesn't have legs, or near enough. Going near it triggers something, as well as gives you a better view in the northern two rooms. IC post incoming.

Edit: also assuming someone destroyed the glyph. It only has effect for a few rounds and can be trivially destroyed with a reach weapon or 10'-11' pole.

Edit take two: Mummy had 100gp in Onyx, and a fairly large black pearl worth 500gp in a pouch. The leather anklet detects magical, moderate conjuration.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-11 at 10:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

MindFlayer

Going to do an unfortunately wordy overview here, to try to keep things moving.

The room with the desecrated altar is quite disturbing, and has most of what is of interest in the northwest building. The two unopened rooms have little but more empty, sturdy wooden boxes and traces of snow. One box has two more suits of splint mail, medium sized and currently ready for dwarf shape. The upper floor is one large storage area, fully cleaned out. This then leads to the roof which has been scouted with nothing of interest. On the second floor there is a walkway to Great Hall building, there is a sturdy external door there, no apparent handle or latch. Likely to open inward like all external doors so far.

The chest is ornate and reinforced wood, also quite large. Worth 200gp. It is not locked, but a close search (Sudu Gileso) reveals a poison dart trap in the latch. If you want to keep this trap and open it, it is a disable device check with possible failure. Blocking the dart with a chunk of metal or sturdy wood allow you to simply open the chest and remove the trap for good, which I'm assuming unless someone wants to roll. The chest contains 1100 gp (not counting the 500 in the box closer to door), heavily gold inlaid clerics vestments worth 100 gp, another 500 gp black pearl, and a potion. Which detects magic, conjuration(healing). The altar is makeshift and while it took effort, would be easy to destroy and a mildly good act.

The ghouls and ghast, and conceivably the shadow mastiff as well, came from somewhere in the Great Hall building. That has two floors and a smaller basement area, and is larger. There are also the three southern towers, the western-most one with fairly unsubtle amounts of large and sturdy webbing. Though the room with the altar is unpleasant, the other three are quite defensible. Both external walls of each room have arrow slits to the outside, and one sturdy door that opens inward. The one entrance to each room could be easily guarded or closed and braced shut.

It is between 8 and 9 PM. Moonlight is still strong. There are a few more clouds, but no real risk of snowfall in the next few hours. Wind is mild.

So the choice is rest and recuperate here, or press into the towers or Great Hall. Wandering monsters from outside the fort are always possible, but the ones who would approach you at night from inside the fort are growing fewer.

Incidentally, while Ellenallen currently has a disease, full effect occurs 24 hours after the claw hit. The Heal skill can offer an additional check to prevent it from taking hold at all, if that fails both save and Heal check can be used to prevent ability damage each day.
    Two days in a row saving and/or passing heal check remove the disease for good. Even failing both you heal some ability damage per day, unless you are effectively not sleeping at all.

You have found magic items. I keep putting off the learning rules for id'ing them for pathfinder, though I understand they are more generous. But you can start trying checks for those as well.

To get credit for securing the fort, you'd need to basically check carefully the two buildings, three towers, and stables. The stables and northwest building are effectively complete. (likely a quick pass in full daylight to make sure nothing wandered in, but effectively)

So a decision for immediate next steps?

16. - Top - End - #256

I'll make a Heal check on Ellenallen if she'll let me:
    (1d20+8)[10]
    My rolls have been so bad lately

Zarakiel will also topple that altar before anymore undead show up
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-11-13 at 11:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

MindFlayer

@Ellenallen: Perception check reveals nothing new about the chest. Latched but no lock, poison dart trap that could easily be negated. Detailed exam is it just was a treasure chest, albeit with a poison dart trap.
    The room is under a desecrate spell to an evil altar. Buffs undead and some evil creatures, 2 hours/level duration. Which sets an upper limit on how long ago someone was here, but as a useful second level spell allows extend metamagic/rod fairly readily.
    Undead could well have been created here, but you wouldn't really sense that either way. The room smells of death and undeath, but between the Mummy and orc corpse that isn't saying a lot.
    The orc was a ritual sacrifice. From Book of Vile Darkness you can ask a boon for that with a Know(religion) check to an evil god. If this was a worshiper of Shar it is honestly possible it was done just because they wanted to.

Natural 20 on the voice. Hmm, more than I wanted to reveal but that is a natural 20.

Watcher's Warning: 3rd level Wizard/Sorcerer spell, Illusion school. Improved version of magic mouth, mostly. Like magic mouth, permanent until discharged and then it is gone.
    This spell is much more flexible, as it did not show a mouth or source, there are other options as well.
    Of important note is it also signals the caster when triggered. Note that it gives no detail other than that, just an internal mental chime warning the caster.
    None of you have heard of the spell before this.

You aren't wounded, I counted spent CLW wand charges to heal the party after the ghouls/ghast. Only Zarakiel took damage since, and two more charges for him. Maybe Tark, but if there's any real break I don't count that, regeneration and all.

Toppling the evil altar basically halves the desecrate bonus. Still not pleasant to be in, I'd suggest using on of the three other rooms and not this one. But I think water is wet, so who am I to judge?

18. - Top - End - #258

MindFlayer

Advancing time to dawn, assuming rested overnight in one of the rooms in northwest building. Nothing but the occasional howl in the distance. (normal howl, its nearing full moon. fairly far away, and not the supernatural bark you encountered).
    More details in IC thread shortly.

Went over magic items and pathfinder rules. Luin Whitefur detect magic and read magic, which I believe are unlimited in pathfinder. Ellenallen has detect magic at-will. The spellcraft bonuses are +11 and +1, and you can make attempts for the day of arrival and morning when you wake up. (Pathfinder is 1/day with detect magic or better.)

The scroll case from the goblin has spells of Invisibility and Magic Weapon, 1/each, both arcane.

So the items are: Goblin wand, Ghast wand, Mummy anklet, chest potion.

Goblin Wand: Luin Whitefur: (1d20+11)[18], (1d20+11)[23], Ellenallen: (1d20+1)[18], (1d20+1)[12]
    Ghast Wand: Luin Whitefur: (1d20+11)[21], (1d20+11)[19], Ellenallen: (1d20+1)[4], (1d20+1)[17]
    Mummy Anklet: Luin Whitefur: (1d20+11)[13], (1d20+11)[13], Ellenallen: (1d20+1)[19], (1d20+1)[2]
    Potion: Luin Whitefur: (1d20+11)[20], (1d20+11)[17], Ellenallen: (1d20+1)[12], (1d20+1)[12]

I have loot so far a bit scattered, I believe DaOldeWolf expressed willingness to keep a list.

Edit: The wands are Bless and Ray of Enfeeblement, each 10 charges remaining. The potion is remove disease. You failed to identify the anklet. It doesn't have any obvious command word on it.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-15 at 11:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

MindFlayer

That is actually very logical. There enough wooden boxes in the rooms thus far for quite a bit of firewood. And hay for easier kindling, though people in this setting are much better at making fires than the modern world.
    As adventurers reclaiming an abandoned fort, pretty much anything you can carry off is yours. The chest by the altar is valuable enough to make the effort. The boxes, while sturdy, are heavy and worth several copper each at best.

As the northwestern building is secured, a clearing away from the well between the building and postern should work for a makeshift pyre. None of the disease spreading undead are dangerous to handle if careful, but the Mummy would likely be handled by Zarakiel alone. Though strong and bulky, the mummy is well under 200 pounds.
    Nothing approaches in this process, and nothing of interest until the bodies are fully burning.

Once the bodies are mostly burnt, you begin to hear a steady incoherent screaming, apparently coming from the southeast tower. (See IC thread)

(Note: the dead body on entering was an orc, there is still a bounty on their heads and he would count. Worth deciding if you want that grisly source of income. Also the two in the leucrotta clearing, it wouldn't be that far out of your way on the return trip.)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

...Does anybody mind if I drink that remove disease potion? I'm assuming after spending the night here in this hellhole Ellenallen will probably figure out that ghoul bite was infected.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

21. - Top - End - #261

Oh, shoot, can we retroactively say Zarakiel cast Remove Disease before we rested? I have it as an SLA

22. - Top - End - #262

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    ...Does anybody mind if I drink that remove disease potion? I'm assuming after spending the night here in this hellhole Ellenallen will probably figure out that ghoul bite was infected.
    I'd go ahead and do that. Incidentally, I actually rolled that on a 1d100 table. 3rd or 4th roll after items that would absolutely be sold, but still rolled.

I've never seen it clearly defined, but in my campaigns you know when you failed or passed a saving throw. (charm person failure is a rare exception, you know if you passed the will save, you don't if failed)

Also, adventuring classes (so all 5 of you) distinguish between Fort/Reflex/Will and also the (harmless) tag. Meaning if someone you don't *completely* trust says he's healing you, you aren't risking intentionally failing a save vs. death or worse.

I'll try to get with DaOldeWolf later this week for total non-magical treasure list. If there are no objections, I'd say 10% of gold/coins/gems/jewelry for party funds for healing/debuff removal/restoration/raise dead and friends. 20% isn't a terrible idea either, but we can start with 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy
    Oh, shoot, can we retroactively say Zarakiel cast Remove Disease before we rested? I have it as an SLA
    D'oh? Yes, a paladin with remove disease SLA wouldn't have forgotten. That was done before sleeping (at least non-outsiders), so all abilities are currently up. Assuming detect magic is at will for arcanists, which I believe it is in pathfinder 1.0.

Edit: additional edit. So yes, you still have the potion.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-17 at 10:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

MindFlayer

Advancing to southeastern tower. Roll20 should be accurate. I've placed Tark and Zarakiel at the door, Ellenallen and Luin Whitefur about 15' back, Gudu Sileso 10' further/25' total.

There will be a surprise round, fairly easy Perception check to spot the enemy. Said enemy was waiting and watching the door.

Initiative:
    Party: [roll]1d20+3.4[/roll]
    Enemy: (1d20+4)[18]

Stealth: (1d20+2)[7]
    Perception:
    Luin Whitefur: (1d20+6)[19]
    Zarakiel: (1d20+8)[24]
    Ellenallen: (1d20+1)[7]
    Gudu Sileso: (1d20+8)[26]
    Tark: (1d20+7)[16]

When they can act, Ellenallen and Gudu Sileso recognize it as extraplanar but a plant, so Mortalbane does work fully.

Description in the IC thread.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-18 at 07:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

MindFlayer

Party Init: (1d20+3)[19]

Edit: Everyone made perception check and party won initiative. Statistically unlikely, but ok. PM's soon.

Further edit: Ellenallen and Gudu Sileso both recognize this as a Demonthorn Mandrake, a plant from the lower planes. The writhing vines around it can entangle, and the thing's special ability is to spit spores that cause living creatures to sprout thorns, to painful and possibly deadly effect.

Edit: Also it is near the center of the tower, maybe 15' from the door. Looks like 10' on grid, so Tark could 5' step and attack. Zarakiel would need to flying partial charge over vines. It has 10' reach, but lost initiative so is flat-footed in surprise round, no AoO.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-11-18 at 07:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

We're fighting plants now? Weird

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

My bet is that there is an alchemist behind both undead and plant beings.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    My bet is that there is an alchemist behind both undead and plant beings.
    Oh, that's a pretty good thought

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

IMO we should torch the plant. I know it's extraplanar but worth a try. Plants tend to be weak to fire.

And it feels like a cult to me. Creating undead and summoning demons is an evil cleric thing after all.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    IMO we should torch the plant. I know it's extraplanar but worth a try. Plants tend to be weak to fire.

And it feels like a cult to me. Creating undead and summoning demons is an evil cleric thing after all.
    Yeah, but it feels like it's gotta be one or the other. You're either a cult trying to bring the abyss to the material plane or you're a cult of undeath. Picking both is just greedy

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

I point you at Orcus! Unbeliever, behold his rotten glory!
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in