The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: (3.P) Monsters as PC's [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    Samduke: Stats are 36 point buy as psion(edit: meaning appear correct), Hps are correct if favored class wasn't used on them. You have enough skill points to make a beguiler stomp off in disgust, so I'm just going to trust you. I gave you concealing amorpha as requested for psi-like abilities, but invisibility may be far more useful. Your call. I definitely like the background and adding more potential enemies.

Worth mentioning: Are people preferring 3.5 or PF power attack and cleave? They are quite different, I'd let you select either individually.
    so just for some counter clarification based on your comments above , I do not recall making the request for concealing amorpha - just for janni monster and yeah given the choice I would go invisibility.

next - skill points by the rules of 3.5 phb human - which I count as for the bonus feat and skill points plus what you put for skill points in the table below for the monster half 10+ Int mod - for gestalt rules that is the better of psion//monster for skill points
    so SP: works out to level 1:10+int modx4+4 level 2+ 10+int mod+1

Requested savage species progression:
    Janni (psionic variant):
    Racial Traits:
    • Starting Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int.
      Bonus Feat: Improved Initiative.
      Speed: Janni land speed is 30 feet.
      Darkvision 60'
      Automatic Languages: Common, regional Bonus languages: Celestial, Infernal, Abyssal, Aquan, Terran, Ignan, Auran, and as class.
      Elemental Endurance (see SRD)

Class Skills:
    The janni's class skills are: Appraise, Concentration, Craft (any, taken individually), Escape Artist, Perception, Stealth, Ride, Sense Motive and by class.
    Class Features:
    Weapon and Armor proficiency: As outsiders, janni are proficient with simple and martial weapons. Janni begin able to use light armor and medium armor, but not shields.
    As a native outsider, a janni must eat, drink, sleep, and breathe.
    Psi-Like Abilities: The janni has psi-like abilities that it casts as it advances in level.
    Concealing Amorpha: beginning at 2nd level, the janni may cast this at manifester level 12 1/day. At 4th level, 2/day, and 6th level 3/day.
    Sustenance:A janni may cast sustenance at manifest level 7 1/day.
    Telempathic Projection: beginning at 2nd level, the janni may cast this at manifest level 12 1/day. At 4th level 2/day, and 6th level 3/day.
    Ethereal Jaunt, Psionic.Beginning at 5th level, the janni may cast this 1/day at manifester level 12. At 5th level the duration is 12 rounds. At 6th level, 12 minutes. At 7th level, up to 12 hours.
    Change Size (Psi): Beginning at 3rd level, the janni may manifest either of the powers of expansion or reduction 1/day. At 5th level, 2/day. The manifester level is equal to character level, but neither can be augmented so they last 1 minute/level.
    At 4th level, a janni gains a +1 Natural armor bonus.
    Fire resistance: A janni gains fire resistance 5 at level 2. At level 4, the janni gains fire resistance 10.
    Flight: A janni may fly with good maneuverability at speed 10' at level 4. At level 6, 20'.
    Plane Shift: Beginning at 5th level, a janni may manifest plane shift (self only) 2/day. At 6th level, 4/day. At 7th level, the janni gains unlimited use of plane shift, self and up to 8 others.
    Telepathy: Beginning at 3rd level, a janni has constant telepathy at 30' range. At 5th level, 60'. At 7th level, 100'.

Janni:
    Level Hit Dice BAB Fort Ref Will Skill Points Special
    1st 1d8 +1 +2 +2 +2 (10+ Int mod) Feat, fire resistance 5, sustenance 1/day. +2 Str, Dex, and Int.
    2nd 2d8 +2 +3 +3 +3 (10+ Int mod) Concealing amorpha 1/day, telempathic projection 1/day, +2 Wis.
    3rd 3d8 +3 +3 +3 +3 (10+ Int mod) Feat, Change size 1/day, Telepathy 30', +2 Con, Cha.
    4th 3d8 +3 +3 +3 +3 --- +1 natural armor, fire resistance 10, Concealing amorpha 2/day, tele. proj. 2/day, +2 Str(now +4), +2 Int(+4), +2 Wis(+4)
    5th 4d8 +4 +4 +4 +4 (10+ Int mod) Change size, 2/day, Ethereal Jaunt, 12 rounds, Plane Shift, self 2/day, Telepathy 60', +2 Dex(+4)
    6th 5d8 +5 +4 +4 +4 (10+ Int mod) Ethereal Jaunt, 12 minutes, Plane Shift, self 4/day.
    7th 6d8 +6 +5 +5 +5 (10+ Int mod) Ethereal Jaunt, 12 hours, Plane Shift, self and 8 other, unlimited, Telepathy 100', +2 Str(+6)
    edit
    my sheet should now be up to date and correct , ready to play
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-13 at 10:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

After realizing that the gestalting messed me up even more, I realized you guys were right about the BAB. Sorry about that. I made the sheet adjustments as were pointed out.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    so just for some counter clarification based on your comments above , I do not recall making the request for concealing amorpha - just for janni monster and yeah given the choice I would go invisibility.

next - skill points by the rules of 3.5 phb human - which I count as for the bonus feat and skill points plus what you put for skill points in the table below for the monster half 10+ Int mod - for gestalt rules that is the better of psion//monster for skill points
    so SP: works out to level 1:10+int modx4+4 level 2+ 10+int mod+1

edit
    my sheet should now be up to date and correct , ready to play
    I thought you wanted psi-like instead of spell-like? And psionics doesn't do invisibility real well, it mostly clouds minds which many are immune to. I was aiming at mocking myself for the skill points, not criticizing. 10+large int mod was too much math at that point, so I'm calling it good.

@tonberryking: No worries, gestalt is not a simple concept and effectively requires some house rules. Stevesciguy did a better job explaining than I likely could, so thanks for that.

Anyways, long week. I'll try to glance over sheets before tomorrow night but I will have a lot more time Saturday. Would some suggested options for items be helpful? Magic Item Compendium has a lot of cheap but effective stuff. I'm not terribly familiar with pathfinder magic items, but I'd likely approve any first party that low in gold value.

@DaOldeWolf: perfectly fine, if you decide you like tiny more by this weekend feel free to change it back. Also now looks like 32 point buy, thanks.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

in many of the psionics "powers" they replicate magic spells , so I can be psionic janni, and have

Cloud mind
    You make yourself completely undetectable to the subject by erasing all awareness of your presence from its mind. This power has the following effects.
    First, you are invisible and inaudible to the creature. It cannot even detect your presence by means of blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense. It cannot pinpoint your location by any means.
    Second, the subject remains unaware of your actions, provided you do not make any attacks or cause any obvious or directly threatening changes in the subject’s environment. If you attack the subject creature, the effect ends.
    If you take an action that creates a sustained and obvious change in the subject’s environment—for example, attacking a creature aside from the subject or moving a large or attended object the subject can see—the subject immediately gains a new saving throw against the power. An ally of the subject creature that is able to see or perceive you can use a move action to warn the subject and thereby grant it a new saving throw

which is better than Concealing Amorpha

That said you could allow for magic psionic transparency and that allows things that affect magic affect psionics and vise-versa.

Invisibility is a Sor/Wiz 2, you could allow it for psion at level 2 also PP 3 Duration: 1 min./level power resistance yes save will just like the spell, non-augmentable

but to maintain flavor - Cloud mind works for me in this case.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-14 at 04:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

@DaOldeWolf: perfectly fine, if you decide you like tiny more by this weekend feel free to change it back. Also now looks like 32 point buy, thanks.
    Thanks, I will gladly take your offer.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

There are a couple magical items I wanted Ellenallen to eventually get her hands and hooves on, but both of them are kind of expensive. Either of the chausubles of fell power or the Gauntlets of Heartfelt blows, the latter especially because it allows me to add CHA to my eldritch blasts. But who's gonna leave hardware around like that? I know I'll probably have to earn stuff like that due to the price tag but as long as they're on the table...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

How does the Pathfinder paladin's Lay on Hands -> Channel Energy thing work with 3.5e feats that use Turn Undead? Thinking Divine Might would be good, but if it uses 2 Lay on Hands uses every time, it isn't worth it

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    How does the Pathfinder paladin's Lay on Hands -> Channel Energy thing work with 3.5e feats that use Turn Undead? Thinking Divine Might would be good, but if it uses 2 Lay on Hands uses every time, it isn't worth it
    One use of lay on hands counts as a turn undead use for 3.5 divine feats. Makes paladin better at powering feats than clerics at level 8, but honestly I'm fine with that.

Extra turning feats, nightsticks, and anything that gives extra turn attempts in 3.5 gives channel uses to pathfinder clerics and lay on hands to pathfinder paladins. Again, nightsticks do not stack, but you can make a custom double power nightstick at four times the cost, like most bonuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking
    There are a couple magical items I wanted Ellenallen to eventually get her hands and hooves on, but both of them are kind of expensive. Either of the chausubles of fell power or the Gauntlets of Heartfelt blows, the latter especially because it allows me to add CHA to my eldritch blasts. But who's gonna leave hardware around like that? I know I'll probably have to earn stuff like that due to the price tag but as long as they're on the table...
    They would be for sale in Sundabar at standard price, but out of range just now. Generally best way to get items like that is buy them, or kill warlocks. (ideally evil warlocks, but who knows?)

@samduke: let's just leave it as invisibility to start, just psi-like instead of spell-like. We can switch to your version later if you want. Side note: casters in Faerun are dependent on the Weave to cast, and in very unusual cases can be separated from it by the goddess Mystra. Unless they go Shadow Weave, which is complicated. Psionics is affected by dead magic and wild magic zones in the weave, but doesn't quite draw on it really. So Mystra (or Shar) can't remove it. Dead magic and anti-magic work identically on psionics as they do on magic.

I'm working on a cheat sheet for major things like combat bonuses, but also appearance for how people respond to you. If it isn't clear from your race choices or character sheet, I'd like to know it. Or if you are notably atypical in appearance for your race,

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm working on a cheat sheet for major things like combat bonuses, but also appearance for how people respond to you. If it isn't clear from your race choices or character sheet, I'd like to know it. Or if you are notably atypical in appearance for your race,
    Other than being rather large, Hobbes looks like any other human, but with amber eyes. Tiger form looks like any other tiger and hybrid kind of scares people (maybe, unless they are aware of how typical were whatevers act. In that case they might give him a chance) lol.

10. - Top - End - #40

One use of lay on hands counts as a turn undead use for 3.5 divine feats. Makes paladin better at powering feats than clerics at level 8, but honestly I'm fine with that.

Extra turning feats, nightsticks, and anything that gives extra turn attempts in 3.5 gives channel uses to pathfinder clerics and lay on hands to pathfinder paladins. Again, nightsticks do not stack, but you can make a custom double power nightstick at four times the cost, like most bonuses.
    Alright, sounds good.

Funnily enough, Astral Deva tend to look like typical Aasimar, with the exception of being 7-1/2 feet tall and having wings. Between the wings, stature, and plate armor, I would imagine that most people would say "that's an angel" at a glance.

Alright, I only have 1 more feat to fill, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I'll work on finishing my other stuff, and hopefully something will come to me
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-06-15 at 06:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Apart from both her halves being built like brickhouses, Ellenallen has white blond hair and... Her skin has an ashen pallor like the dark gray of her horse body is mixing with her Caucasian skin color. Normal centaurs aren't like that. She's naturally pale but parts of her skin looks coated with ash-- her forearms and upper forehead/face (making it almost look like a mask.) and her mid section that joins with her horse body.

She also isn't naked but she's only wearing armor and rags, which some people may notice.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-06-15 at 09:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the double post but is there a weapon enchantment in 3.5 that allows a melee weapon to be transformed into another one? I know C. Adv has a staff that can turn into a bow but I can't recall if the MiC has anything similar but with a long sword and a lance...

Also edited the wAy my centaur appears

13. - Top - End - #43

Looking forward to getting this adventure started :)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Sorry for the double post but is there a weapon enchantment in 3.5 that allows a melee weapon to be transformed into another one? I know C. Adv has a staff that can turn into a bow but I can't recall if the MiC has anything similar but with a long sword and a lance...

Also edited the wAy my centaur appears
    Morphing, +1 in Magic item Compendium. It remains two-handed or remains one-handed, so not sure if that completely gets you what you want. Sizing, +5,000 gp same book lets you toggle size. The latter is a great deal once you start sinking serious money into your main weapon.

I expect to have the first scene and IC thread up sometime tonight. I'm still looking for something better than these forums (really not a fan of the dicerolling especially), but will stick with them for now. Definitely open to suggestions, but I have said no to discord.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonU
    Looking forward to getting this adventure started :)
    Me too, like I said sometime tonight. If you haven't got everything set on your character sheet don't worry. There will be time for shopping and such before heading out.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

...Since centaurs can uses lances one handed, would I be able to get a longsword/lance morphing weapon as long as I only use it as a 1h deal in either situation?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

...Since centaurs can uses lances one handed, would I be able to get a longsword/lance morphing weapon as long as I only use it as a 1h deal in either situation?
    Yes, we could figure out some variant of a +1 morphing weapon that does that. Price would be 8,300+base price of weapon to start. That would also be readily available in Sundabar for standard price.

*IC character thread is up.*

Note that many of you know general details about Sundabar and the surrounding region. Feel free to ask common knowledge questions here. (or PM if you really don't want to share with the party)

There are still things to be done on character sheets and such, but it will take time to set out so I figured we could start the campaign proper now.

Edit: Incidentally, yes. The beer, ale, and mead looks to be all dwarven in origin.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-06-16 at 05:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

so you did not answer or reply to this
    Janni:
    Concealing Amorpha
    is it staying or am I able to swap it for Cloud mind which is more like invisibility and the same level as Concealing Amorpha?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    so you did not answer or reply to this
    Janni:
    Concealing Amorpha
    is it staying or am I able to swap it for Cloud mind which is more like invisibility and the same level as Concealing Amorpha?
    I had a short @samduke in a post above. Cloud mind is fine if you prefer, same uses/day as concealing amorpha. Say 1 minute/character level?

19. - Top - End - #49

Whoop, here we go! I will warn that my character voicing tends to waiver somewhat while I'm getting into a new PC, so if Zarakiel's speech patterns change somewhat for a while, sorry about that.

Also copying over my class table:

Spoiler: Astral Deva
    Show
    Astral Deva (3.5, SRD. 3.0 notes are in Savage Species as well, some changed for 3.5.): LA: +2

Racial Traits:
    • Starting Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Str, +2 Cha.
    • Medium Size.
    • Speed: An Astral Deva's land speed is 50 feet.
    • Fly Speed: An Astral Deva has a fly speed that improves with level.
    • Darkvision 60'. Low-light vision (2X human normal)
    • Automatic Languages: Celestial, Infernal, Draconic and see Tongues (common if from class track or as bonus) Bonus languages: Common and as class.

Class Skills:
    The Astral Deva's class skills are: Craft(all skills, taken individually), Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Knowledge(all skills, taken individually), Perception, Profession(all skills, taken individually), Sense Motive, Stealth, and by class.
    Class Features:
    Weapon and Armor proficiency: An Astral Deva is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but not with armor or shields.
    Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 2nd level, an astral deva is never caught flat-footed. At 7th level and beyond, it cannot be flanked.
    Save vs. Poison: +4 racial bonus.
    Spell-Like Abilities: The Astral Deva has many spell-like abilities, separated into Lesser, Normal, and Greater Deva powers.
    Lesser Deva Powers: Cure Light Wounds, Aid, Continual Flame, Detect Evil, Dispel Magic, Invisibility sphere (self only), remove curse, remove disease, remove fear, and see invisibility. At third level, it may use these 1/day. At 5th level, it may use these 3/day. At 8th level it can use cure light wounds and see invisibility 7 times per day and the others at will.
    Normal Deva Powers: Discern Lies, Dispel Evil, Holy Smite. Starting at 6th level, it may use these 1/day. At 8th level, 3/day. At 10 level, at will.
    Greater Deva Powers: Blade Barrier, Heal, Holy Aura, Holy Word. At 11th level, it may use these 1/day. At 13th, it may use holy aura and holy word 3/day. At 14th, holy aura and holy word at-will.
    Natural Armor: An Astral Deva gets a natural armor that progresses with level.
    Flight: An Astral Deva may fly at 30' with average maneuverability at level 2. At level 4, 50' with average maneuverability. At level 7, 75' with good maneuverability. At level 10, 100' with good maneuverability.
    Spell resistance: An Astral Deva has spell resistance of it's character level+10.
    Resistances: An astral deva is resistant to certain energy types, see table.
    Immunities: At 3rd level and beyond, an astral deva is immune to petrification. At 12th level, the deva also becomes immune to acid and cold.
    Tongues(Su):Beginning at 3rd level, an astral deva can speak with any creature that has a language. Caster level is astral deva level. This is always active, but the deva can disable as a free action, and reenable it as a free action on its next turn.
    Protective Aura(Su): At first level, the deva benefits from protection from evil at all times. At 5th level, as a free action, it can surround itself with a nimbus of light having a radius of 20 feet. This light acts as a magic circle against evil (but providing +4 bonuses instead of +2 bonuses). At 7th level, the protective aura also functions as a minor globe of invulnerability. The caster level for these effects is it's character level. This can be dispeled, but the deva can create it again on its next turn as a free action.
    Stun(Su): Starting at 9th level, if an astral deva strikes an opponent twice in 1 round with a melee weapon, that creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 character level +Str Mod) or be stunned for 1d6 rounds.
    Astral Deva:
    Level Hit Dice BAB Fort Ref Will Skill Points Special
    1st 1d8 +1 +2 +2 +2 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Str, +2 Cha, good subtype, +1 NA.
    2nd 2d8 +2 +3 +3 +3 (10+ Int mod) +2 Dex, Uncanny dodge(flat-footed), resistance(electricity 5, fire 5), Fly 30' (average), +2 NA.
    3rd 3d8 +3 +3 +3 +3 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Str(Now +4), +2 Con, Lesser Deva Powers 1/day, immunities (petrification), Tongues, +3 NA.
    4th 4d8 +4 +4 +4 +4 (10+ Int mod) +2 Int, +2 Cha(+4), Fly 50' (average), +4 NA.
    5th 5d8 +5 +4 +4 +4 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Str(+6) +2 Wis, Protective Aura(magic circle against evil), Lesser deva powers 3/day, +5 NA.
    6th 5d8 +5 +4 +4 +4 --- +2 Dex (+4), +2 Con(+4), +2 Int(+4), +2 Wis(+4), +2 Cha(+6), DR: 5/evil, Deva Powers 1/day, +7 NA.
    7th 6d8 +6 +5 +5 +5 (10+ Int mod) +2 Str(+8), +2 Dex(+6), Uncanny dodge(flanked), protective aura(minor glove of invulnerability), Fly 75' (good), +8 NA.
    8th 7d8 +7 +5 +5 +5 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Con(+6), Resistances(electricity 10, fire 10), Lesser deva powers 7/day or at-will, Normal Deva Powers 3/day, DR: 10/evil, +9 NA.
    9th 8d8 +8 +6 +6 +6 (10+ Int mod) +2 Int(+6), Stun, +10 NA.
    10th 9d8 +9 +6 +6 +6 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Wis(+6),Flight 100' (good), Normal Deva Powers at-will, +11 NA.
    11th 10d8 +10 +7 +7 +7 (10+ Int mod) +2 Str(+10), +2 Cha(+8), Greater Deva Powers 1/day, +12 NA.
    12th 10d8 +10 +7 +7 +7 --- +2 Dex(+8), +2 Con(+8), +2 Int(+8), +2 Wis(+8), Immunities(acid, cold), +13 NA.
    13th 11d8 +11 +7 +7 +7 (10+ Int mod) Feat, +2 Str(+12), Greater Deva Powers 1/day or 3/day, +14 NA.
    14th 12d8 +12 +8 +8 +8 (10+ Int mod) +2 Cha(+10), Greater Deva Powers 1/day or at-will, +15 NA.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-06-16 at 06:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

...What language is Helm Dwarf Friend speaking in?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

...What language is Helm Dwarf Friend speaking in?
    Ah, good point. As he is addressing a truly varied group of individuals, Common.

22. - Top - End - #52

@Covenant12: So, what kind of Bad GuysTM are around that could be the reason Zarakiel is here?

23. - Top - End - #53

Thought this might be helpful for us.
    Character Link Player "normal" race Monster track Class track
    Lassy JNAProductions Strix (Flying Human Variant) Hound Archon Fighter
    Lei Samduke Athasian Human Janni Psion
    Ellenallen tonberryking Human? Centaur Warlock
    Name in Progress Stevesciguy Angel-Blooded Aasimar Astral Deva Paladin
    Luin Whitefur DaOldeWolf Kitsune Faerie Dragon(3.5) Arcanist
    Gerarn RoTWS Aasimar Unicorn Fangshield Druid
    Hobbes JonU Orc!!? Human? Giant(template) Weretiger Barbarian(Frank and K)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

@Covenant12: So, what kind of Bad GuysTM are around that could be the reason Zarakiel is here?
    There are quite a few options, year of Wild Magic and all.

The archwizards of Netheril came back from the plane of shadow in a flying city. They were presumed wiped out for roughly 1600 years. At one point they were beginning to melt the high ice to make the Anauroch desert fertile, while causing catastrophic change pretty much everywhere else. They were weakened and fought back but are quite powerful evil wizards. Also practiced planar travelers.
    The Phaerimm partially escaped their age-old prison and began their typical pattern of trying to control and destroy well, pretty much everything. Frankly they compete on pure unrefined evil with the denizens of Hades. Very much evil with all capital letters.
    The Red Wizards are practically always evil, it is a question of how much. They want power, in any form they can acquire. They have managed to focus on trade and wealth for now, but some of the zulkirs are quite crazy so that can't last forever.
    Bane is back to life, after his death around 15 years ago in the Time of Troubles. He has rallied the Zhentarim to return to power, and as the god of *tyranny*...well, you can guess his goals.
    Shar created the Shadow Weave some time ago, as the goddess of secrets it is only recently becoming common knowledge. This is the evil mirror of the Weave that allows casters to bypass Mystra's control and safety measures. What her long-term plans for this are likely evil, and well, secret. Since the Time of Troubles a god's power is tied to quantity and quality of worshippers. If enough casters turned to the Shadow Weave she may become greatly more powerful than she already is. And she's already one of the most powerful.
    The drow launched a massive attack on the elven capital, Evermeet, last year. Nearly destroying it. They have been briefly quiet, but rumors of Lolth not responding to her priestess' prayers are causing more unrest than normal. There is no direct access to the Underdark from Sundabar, but you wouldn't have to travel far.

These are all in the last couple of years. Hellgate Keep exists and is not terribly far. It was a standing portal to the lower planes, presumably destroyed but many came through before that. Any of these could do enough damage to the entire material plane to concern the upper planes. Some eventually wouldn't stay on the material plane if unchecked.
    The orcs hordes sound fairly tame by comparison, but for centuries held the city of Citadel Felbarr. When they manage to gather thousands of warriors they can be dangerous. And they breed very, very rapidly.
    If any of these appeal to you, you can say so here if you want the party to be aware, or in PM's if not.

@JonU: Thanks, I keep forgetting to transfer stuff from the recruiting page, and from memory it vanishes after three months.

25. - Top - End - #55

There are quite a few options, year of Wild Magic and all.

The archwizards of Netheril came back from the plane of shadow in a flying city. They were presumed wiped out for roughly 1600 years. At one point they were beginning to melt the high ice to make the Anauroch desert fertile, while causing catastrophic change pretty much everywhere else. They were weakened and fought back but are quite powerful evil wizards. Also practiced planar travelers.
    The Phaerimm partially escaped their age-old prison and began their typical pattern of trying to control and destroy well, pretty much everything. Frankly they compete on pure unrefined evil with the denizens of Hades. Very much evil with all capital letters.
    The Red Wizards are practically always evil, it is a question of how much. They want power, in any form they can acquire. They have managed to focus on trade and wealth for now, but some of the zulkirs are quite crazy so that can't last forever.
    Bane is back to life, after his death around 15 years ago in the Time of Troubles. He has rallied the Zhentarim to return to power, and as the god of *tyranny*...well, you can guess his goals.
    Shar created the Shadow Weave some time ago, as the goddess of secrets it is only recently becoming common knowledge. This is the evil mirror of the Weave that allows casters to bypass Mystra's control and safety measures. What her long-term plans for this are likely evil, and well, secret. Since the Time of Troubles a god's power is tied to quantity and quality of worshippers. If enough casters turned to the Shadow Weave she may become greatly more powerful than she already is. And she's already one of the most powerful.
    The drow launched a massive attack on the elven capital, Evermeet, last year. Nearly destroying it. They have been briefly quiet, but rumors of Lolth not responding to her priestess' prayers are causing more unrest than normal. There is no direct access to the Underdark from Sundabar, but you wouldn't have to travel far.

These are all in the last couple of years. Hellgate Keep exists and is not terribly far. It was a standing portal to the lower planes, presumably destroyed but many came through before that. Any of these could do enough damage to the entire material plane to concern the upper planes. Some eventually wouldn't stay on the material plane if unchecked.
    The orcs hordes sound fairly tame by comparison, but for centuries held the city of Citadel Felbarr. When they manage to gather thousands of warriors they can be dangerous. And they breed very, very rapidly.
    If any of these appeal to you, you can say so here if you want the party to be aware, or in PM's if not.

@JonU: Thanks, I keep forgetting to transfer stuff from the recruiting page, and from memory it vanishes after three months.
    Oh, wow, that's a lot to choose from. Faerun is having a very bad year.

Aside from the orcs, which would you say is the most immediate threat? I imagine I would've gotten sent down for whichever was the most urgent.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

I had a short @samduke in a post above. Cloud mind is fine if you prefer, same uses/day as concealing amorpha. Say 1 minute/character level?
    cloud same use/day & at 1 min/lvl is just fine - I missed the above also

as for overall appearance - I would say average for sure

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, wow, that's a lot to choose from. Faerun is having a very bad year.

Aside from the orcs, which would you say is the most immediate threat? I imagine I would've gotten sent down for whichever was the most urgent.
    Well two years really, but yes that is true.

I expect you'd hope to fight evil as you encounter it, but likely the largest planar threat is the archmages of Netheril. Though some brave and heroic actions caused the Shades to lose their most powerful archmage, as well as the Karsestone, they have a lot of powerful wizards. And a literal flying city. One powerful ancient Netherese artifact is lost to them, but there are likely others. Most are lost under the sands of the Anauroch desert, but the city of Shade may have a good memory of where they are. Though there are a handful of powerful shadow weave wizards of note, as well as Shar's clerics, most of the City of Shade uses the Shadow Weave. Also, most of them are either liches or have taken enough of the plane of shadow into themselves that they effectively don't age.

Without the Karsestone, they cannot continue to melt the high ice, but significant drought has been caused throughout Faerun while they tried. It also shows the lengths they are willing to go through to benefit themselves. Netheril had incredibly powerful magics, including flying cities and one attempt to gain godhood. (this ended very, very badly) Reconnaissance on the Shadovar, or preventing them from gaining powerful magics would be a worthy task for an angel. Also it is uncertain if the city itself can travel the planes. Which could worry the upper planes, at minimum.

28. - Top - End - #58

Well two years really, but yes that is true.

I expect you'd hope to fight evil as you encounter it, but likely the largest planar threat is the archmages of Netheril. Though some brave and heroic actions caused the Shades to lose their most powerful archmage, as well as the Karsestone, they have a lot of powerful wizards. And a literal flying city. One powerful ancient Netherese artifact is lost to them, but there are likely others. Most are lost under the sands of the Anauroch desert, but the city of Shade may have a good memory of where they are. Though there are a handful of powerful shadow weave wizards of note, as well as Shar's clerics, most of the City of Shade uses the Shadow Weave. Also, most of them are either liches or have taken enough of the plane of shadow into themselves that they effectively don't age.

Without the Karsestone, they cannot continue to melt the high ice, but significant drought has been caused throughout Faerun while they tried. It also shows the lengths they are willing to go through to benefit themselves. Netheril had incredibly powerful magics, including flying cities and one attempt to gain godhood. (this ended very, very badly) Reconnaissance on the Shadovar, or preventing them from gaining powerful magics would be a worthy task for an angel. Also it is uncertain if the city itself can travel the planes. Which could worry the upper planes, at minimum.
    Oh, yeah, I'll fight any and all evil as I encounter it, just figured that whichever was the most imminent would be the 'official' reason I was sent down. Sounds like Netheril fits the bill.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Note I have definitely read and appreciate all IC and OOC posts, not all got a significant NPC response on IC chat. 7 players is a lot, but I will make a real effort that no one is overlooked for long.

Off topic currently, but does anyone have experience with some form of online battlegrid? Roll20 says they do but I'd trust recommendations more.

I did PM RoTWS, I don't think he's been on for a few days. I do plan to give him a chance to speak and comment before leaving the city, actually worrying is a ways off yet.

Oh and I managed to forget again, but assume everyone in city, at least anyone addressing all of you is speaking Common. I'll try to outright say language when more unusual encounters happen.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Note I have definitely read and appreciate all IC and OOC posts, not all got a significant NPC response on IC chat. 7 players is a lot, but I will make a real effort that no one is overlooked for long.

Off topic currently, but does anyone have experience with some form of online battlegrid? Roll20 says they do but I'd trust recommendations more.

I did PM RoTWS, I don't think he's been on for a few days. I do plan to give him a chance to speak and comment before leaving the city, actually worrying is a ways off yet.

Oh and I managed to forget again, but assume everyone in city, at least anyone addressing all of you is speaking Common. I'll try to outright say language when more unusual encounters happen.
    I have no worth while exp with other online mappers though roll 20 is supposed to be good -
    That said this table albeit time consuming could work

Spoiler: table
    Show

5ft a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z