The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: (3.P) Monsters as PC's [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    I have no worth while exp with other online mappers though roll 20 is supposed to be good -
    That said this table albeit time consuming could work
    I'll definitely try roll 20 this weekend though, get some practice in. If that crashes and burns I'll look at that table again, thanks.

I will definitely respond each night, but today I had to put one of my dogs in intensive care. So I may not have as lengthy or thought out responses in IC as I'd like, at least until Saturday.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Oh no...

Take what time you need, dude. I'll certainly be waiting here.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Oh no...

Take what time you need, dude. I'll certainly be waiting here.
    No worries, I'd still like to keep things moving.

Incidentally, @JNAProductions: Lassy is effectively a near-black skinned human with wings and a hound archon/dog face? Combining multiple races can be tricky, I just wanted to make sure I had the right image.

Incidentally, you will notice many guards and a few others in the city wielding truncheons. This is a martial weapon that is basically a higher damage sap, so nonlethal damage. All of them have a lethal weapon as well, but it may not be as accessible.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    No worries, I'd still like to keep things moving.

Incidentally, @JNAProductions: Lassy is effectively a near-black skinned human with wings and a hound archon/dog face? Combining multiple races can be tricky, I just wanted to make sure I had the right image.

Incidentally, you will notice many guards and a few others in the city wielding truncheons. This is a martial weapon that is basically a higher damage sap, so nonlethal damage. All of them have a lethal weapon as well, but it may not be as accessible.
    I'd lean more towards the hound archon bit. A female version of the Hound Archon picture, with black fur instead of red, and wings (that are usually somewhat unobtrusive, due to being folded in).

Also, best wishes for your pets!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

I'll definitely try roll 20 this weekend though, get some practice in. If that crashes and burns I'll look at that table again, thanks.

I will definitely respond each night, but today I had to put one of my dogs in intensive care. So I may not have as lengthy or thought out responses in IC as I'd like, at least until Saturday.
    from another pet parent to you best wishes. ( one of mine has cancer so I feel you)

truncheon - aka blackjack, nightstick, bat, baton and billyclub - when this thing hits it hurts it may be non-lethal but it hurts.
    okay that gives a good idea for the initial attitude of guards as Indifferent, that would be my guess ->(Helpful, Friendly, Indifferent, Unfriendly, Hostile)
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-19 at 01:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It is actually a real 3.5 item. I think 1d8? One-handed martial weapon, like a sap non-lethal by default. And like all non-lethal weapons you can go lethal at -4 to hit. Those wielding them have a backup lethal weapon, this far into the frontier people don't go out of arm's reach of one. Kreel is the exception to that rule, but he had claws and presumably a bite attack.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It is actually a real 3.5 item. I think 1d8? One-handed martial weapon, like a sap non-lethal by default. And like all non-lethal weapons you can go lethal at -4 to hit. Those wielding them have a backup lethal weapon, this far into the frontier people don't go out of arm's reach of one. Kreel is the exception to that rule, but he had claws and presumably a bite attack.
    Truncheon
    (BoED p34) 1Hand M:1d8 20x2 Bludgeon 2 gp 12 lbs Subdual - deals nonlethal damage rather than lethal damage

Where is this rule at -> And like all non-lethal weapons you can go lethal at -4 to hit. ??

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll get an IC post up at lunch.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Truncheon
    (BoED p34) 1Hand M:1d8 20x2 Bludgeon 2 gp 12 lbs Subdual - deals nonlethal damage rather than lethal damage

Where is this rule at -> And like all non-lethal weapons you can go lethal at -4 to hit. ??
    Thanks, couldn't remember the book for the life of me. Logical place for it to be.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/inj...onlethalDamage

I'm kind of curious how you do non-lethal damage with a piercing weapon, but hey.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks, couldn't remember the book for the life of me. Logical place for it to be.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/inj...onlethalDamage

I'm kind of curious how you do non-lethal damage with a piercing weapon, but hey.
    Getting poked hard enough anywhere, even without breaking the skin, can hurt if done with force. And can cause bruising.

I personally see lethal vs. non-lethal as 'breaks the skin' vs. 'doesn't break the skin'
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-06-20 at 09:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Non-lethal damage with a piercing weapon? Swing the spear like a baseball bat!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

So, is my char still waiting for an answer?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Heads up: my sister is graduating this weekend and I won't be able to post again until sunday or maybe saturday night. It's hell putting in forum codes on my tablet.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    So, is my char still waiting for an answer?
    Tess (in blue) gave prices for rooms. You went to Eights and Aces, right? I'd guessed you were with the majority at the same table.

Exhausting week, no serious tasks for the weekend at least. If you want to ask or investigate anything before turning in, feel free. I'll respond again late EST.

Edit: as a note on review of 3.5/pathfinder city mechanics I'm leaning 3.5. For reference, Sundabar is a large city, and Silverymoon is a metropolis. Silverymoon is 165 miles by road, the next metropolis would be a lot farther. If you ever have big purchases or want to hire high-level spellcasters, and such. I'll try to get a city map up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-06-21 at 05:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Covenant, what are the Rashemi saying?

I have Tongues, so I should understand them.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Nothing that interesting, The lengthiest discussion is that 2 of them want to go west to see Silverymoon, two generally north for more danger and variety. They briefly mention they are unhappy the Red Wizards are allowed in the city. They've mostly been at war for centuries. Also something you don't quite follow about them mocking Thayans for short hair. (technically none but they phrase it as short) The four of them have hair nearing midback, even the men.

17. - Top - End - #77

Oops didn't really stop to think that the flying might freak people out

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Oops didn't really stop to think that the flying might freak people out
    No worries. One person flying in the city would definitely not be a state of emergency, most of the loremasters and any red wizard wearing red robes could do it. There are around 1500 guards/army in Sundabar as rule. Which sounds like a lot, but a healthy percentage would remember and recognize a militia member with wings.

Wiki link, looks safe enough: City of Sundabar The Thayan enclave is south of the Turnstone gate (4). Where the road runs east from the turnstone gate, then dead ends at a north-south road. That east-south road is where the walls of the enclave are, now. It follows that south road, and roughly extends to east of the "1" in the moat below marked point 10.

So:

4-G------
    |oooooo|
    |oooooo|
    |ooooooG
    10ooooo|
    |oooooo|
    1-------*

If that makes sense. There are two gates to the enclave, slightly left of (4) and near the center of its east wall. (7) and (8) are the major temples, to Helm and Torm+Tyr, respectively. They are the known places that cast raise dead for adventurers. Helm's cleric will generally charge standard rates, but will not for anyone known to be extremely evil or a threat to the Silver Marches/Sundabar. The cleric of Tyr is even stricter, expecting generally good if not very good behavior. She is known to reduce or eliminate the casting fee for very good heroes, saviors of people in the Silver Marches, or those loyal to Torm, Tyr, or Sundabar. Both expect the diamonds brought or paid for, though. There are shrines to many dieties in Sundabar, but those are the only two major churches. There are various courtyards and parks unmarked near (6), one of them is where the campaign began.

Most loremasters are, in fact, loremasters with base wizard class. Some are clerics, mostly of Oghma and Mystra. Helm Dwarf-friend is effectively never without loremasters nearby. It exceedingly likely at least one can cast raise dead and restoration. You haven't heard if anyone in Sundabar can cast resurrection, but it hasn't precisely come up in conversations with militia or townspeople. (adventurers care quite a bit who can bring them back from the dead, the fine points between raise dead and resurrection many are unaware of)

Note: Yes, there is a temple to the god Helm and a ruler named Helm in Sundabar. I made neither of these up, but I apologize for the confusion.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

still here
    just waiting for new day and gathered group to discuss job options

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I did test and explore roll20 a bit, looks good but bit of a learning curve. I'm hoping to have a basic battle grid layout at least for the first combat encounter.

I don't want to rush anyone, but for roleplaying sections is it worth beginning morning and letting people finish up evening stuff after the fact? Or do I just need more patience?

I'm hoping to start morning Wednesday if at all possible, let me know your opinions on the second part.

21. - Top - End - #81

Hobbes is already taken care of until the group gathers up in the morning

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

lei is all finished up for the night, until the group gathers up in the morning

23. - Top - End - #83

I'm ready to fast forward to morning

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    I'm ready to fast forward to morning
    Same here.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Me too.

And don't feel bad if you have to move things forward after a few days.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds good. Few things came up tonight, so tomorrow I'll start the next morning. That made sense in my head, at least. Tomorrow night real world will be morning in the campaign.

Edit: I have spoken to RoTWS over PM's, so hopefully he'll join us soon. If you were wondering about 7 party members.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-06-26 at 09:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Wait, which inn had the job offer?

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Wait, which inn had the job offer?
    The outright offer was in the Flying Monk. There was a runner sent, if you didn't come for whatever reason the rest of the party could fill you in and see if you are interested.

29. - Top - End - #89

The outright offer was in the Flying Monk. There was a runner sent, if you didn't come for whatever reason the rest of the party could fill you in and see if you are interested.
    I mean, adventure calls, neh? Should I just have Lassy arrive in the company of the group?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-06-29 at 09:58 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I mean, adventure calls, neh? Should I just have Lassy arrive in the company of the group?
    That would be easiest. If you want to do something else they can fill you in and the party decides once everyone is there.

Quite off topic, but I'm reverting size/space rules to 3.0. Large(tall) is 5'X5', Large(long) is 5'X10', Huge(tall) is 10'X10', Huge(long) is 10'X20' and so forth. Large humanoids struggling to fit in 5' hallways and not being able to fight side-by-side in 10' hallways never felt right to me. I mean, some large humanoidish/giant creatures are only 8 feet tall, and maybe 3'/4' wide. Reach is unchanged.'

I'm going to try to transfer all stuff useful from the Recruiting thread today. If there's something unusual like origin story in it I'd keep a copy. It only last 90 days, I think. (from last post, not total)