The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.P) Monsters as PC's [OOC]

Crazy weekend, will respond tonight .
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Note: From your time in the militia, the Shieldsar generally refers to the full-time, standing army of Sundabar. This tends to around 1500 strong, a much smaller police force is separate from that. When they aren't concerned about full invasion, they patrol the region around Sundabar effectively. Yes, from real-world history a standing army around 10% of the population is fairly absurd. But this is a very profitable region, and can be considered at war more often than at peace. (Also D&D books vary the numbers but basically say this)

Edit: I think I saved everything major from the Recruitment page. I got the races and most rulings, if you want something specific grab that soon. Details are in posts #1 and #14 in this thread.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-07-05 at 10:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll have an IC post later this evening.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

just a post to say im hre reading IC but no real need to make a post yet

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

No worries. Probably nearing the point of accepting the job, or not. If you accept you certainly don't have to leave today. Whether that's for shopping or finding answers specific to your characters.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Still here and waiting for my next post.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Still here and waiting for my next post.
    My apologies, I said I'd give you a response Monday, I'm pretty sure. I'll have something tonight. A lot going on lately, but my schedule should be more consistent soon.

8. - Top - End - #98

Hobbes is ready to roll out whenever the party is. I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks starting a new job.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by JonU View Post
    Hobbes is ready to roll out whenever the party is. I've been pretty busy the last couple weeks starting a new job.
    lei is likely to follow hobbes

@all, Covenant12 knows this already, I am about 20 days from needing to relocate my time permits a post a day if I am lucky and the sugestion was to see if needed one of you might offer to do actions for Lei if I can not while relocating.
    So I will generically ask if anyone minds doing this until my posting schedule (AKA RL) returns to semi normal

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Still getting a feel for this, but I plan to advance the time to the next morning Tuesday night real-world. If there are questions you want to seek answers for, or shopping you can back-date that action if needed in the IC thread. Note that shopping for anything you can currently afford should be quick and trivial in Sundabar. Excepting fully custom magic items, price of those if nothing else needs to be discussed. I'd ask anything over 200 gold you purchase to be mentioned in this thread. This is not intended to be for permission, more for my reference and any other player interested.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

well my pc is sitting about while others do various things just waiting for the party to get all together and get down the so called road

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

My schedule got messed up last week but if you'll still have me I can get back into the game tonight...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    My schedule got messed up last week but if you'll still have me I can get back into the game tonight...
    No worries, welcome back. On that note I honestly overlooked setting posting standards, or at least strict ones. Think about what you'd like, I'd like a consensus by this weekend what posting expectations are. My leaning is if you expect you won't be able to respond for 72 hours, say so and designate a player to take your turn(s). If there is strong disagreement I'm very willing to change that guideline. Also what a good timeline for being removed completely if you go pure AWOL. (meaning as weeks become months, with no warning)
    Which I don't have a confident opinion on, I'll listen to suggestions.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    No worries, welcome back. On that note I honestly overlooked setting posting standards, or at least strict ones. Think about what you'd like, I'd like a consensus by this weekend what posting expectations are. My leaning is if you expect you won't be able to respond for 72 hours, say so and designate a player to take your turn(s). If there is strong disagreement I'm very willing to change that guideline. Also what a good timeline for being removed completely if you go pure AWOL. (meaning as weeks become months, with no warning)
    Which I don't have a confident opinion on, I'll listen to suggestions.
    works for me *note I have already asked, no replies as of yet

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

@Luin Whitefur: For divine guidance, there are the two primary temples mentioned. Hall of deliverance is to Helm, LN justice and order god. The other who's name I'd have to check is jointly Torm and Tyr. Both LG, Torm is specifically a god of paladins as well. The loremasters are known to have a few clerics of Mystra and Oghma, but you don't know how powerful or knowledgeable they are. They have portfolios including magic and knowledge, respectively. Mielikki is also popular, especially among druids and rangers (expected NG nature god, ruler of Sundabar follows her). She doesn't have an official building, but could be sought out. Anything else would likely be a gather information check (some very easy and even under 10), or asking individuals you know at this point.

On posting frequency, I'm currently going with 72 hours response time. Like I mentioned, if you know that isn't happening for a period, please appoint another player to take your turns. I am not asking or expecting IC and/or OOC posts that frequently, but do ask that you check IC to see if its your turn or have something you want to say that often.

Personally in real life I will be away the next two weekends, meaning Friday to Sunday. I may be able to briefly check next weekend on my laptop. The weekend after is a family reunion at a lake and unlikely. I might be able to check my phone and give short answers.

Also you should realistically decide soon if you want to take Jorbis's job. There are other options, but the odds are against any of them being cash up front. If Jorbis isn't popular with the party most of these would be contacting Helm Dwarf-friend or a representative for adventuring work. Also if you want to assign a leader/face/spokesperson for the party. Difficult starting out with most of you not knowing each other (to my knowledge), but could make things flow better. Or even just a face for Cha checks, with major decisions by party consensus.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

I'm okay with 72 hours posting time and/or leniency on weekends.

I'll also give head sup when my retail job screws me over during back to school and holiday sales. (But again, thanks for tolerating my shenanigans)

ALso.. uh... though it probably sounds like a bad idea, Ellenallen has powers that skyrocket her Cha-based checks and I'm amused by the idea of her being the pay negotiator. She can at least try to finagle around better pay for this task at least.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    @Luin Whitefur: For divine guidance, there are the two primary temples mentioned. Hall of deliverance is to Helm, LN justice and order god. The other who's name I'd have to check is jointly Torm and Tyr. Both LG, Torm is specifically a god of paladins as well. The loremasters are known to have a few clerics of Mystra and Oghma, but you don't know how powerful or knowledgeable they are. They have portfolios including magic and knowledge, respectively. Mielikki is also popular, especially among druids and rangers (expected NG nature god, ruler of Sundabar follows her). She doesn't have an official building, but could be sought out. Anything else would likely be a gather information check (some very easy and even under 10), or asking individuals you know at this point.

On posting frequency, I'm currently going with 72 hours response time. Like I mentioned, if you know that isn't happening for a period, please appoint another player to take your turns. I am not asking or expecting IC and/or OOC posts that frequently, but do ask that you check IC to see if its your turn or have something you want to say that often.

Personally in real life I will be away the next two weekends, meaning Friday to Sunday. I may be able to briefly check next weekend on my laptop. The weekend after is a family reunion at a lake and unlikely. I might be able to check my phone and give short answers.

Also you should realistically decide soon if you want to take Jorbis's job. There are other options, but the odds are against any of them being cash up front. If Jorbis isn't popular with the party most of these would be contacting Helm Dwarf-friend or a representative for adventuring work. Also if you want to assign a leader/face/spokesperson for the party. Difficult starting out with most of you not knowing each other (to my knowledge), but could make things flow better. Or even just a face for Cha checks, with major decisions by party consensus.
    Do I need to make a roll check to find info of the whereabouts of the clerics of Mystra and Oghma? While the other two temples sound like potential allies, I think its better for my char to try with epople who are less likely to look down on him and probably take harshly to his actions.

On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Do I need to make a roll check to find info of the whereabouts of the clerics of Mystra and Oghma? While the other two temples sound like potential allies, I think its better for my char to try with epople who are less likely to look down on him and probably take harshly to his actions.
    There are clerics of Mystra and Oghma affiliated with the Loremasters. Some of which are themselves, Loremasters. Finding one affiliated with the would be likely in the Master's Hall somewhere, if not out and about. Clerics not affiliated with them may require a roll.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Posting in a few hours after I finish errands

20. - Top - End - #110

sorry ive been out for a bit. things have been pretty busy. I promise to have a post up by tomorrow morning. I'll get caught up this afternoon and write a post tonight.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

No worries. I just got back now, went on a retreat type thing Friday afternoon. Brought my laptop and everything for it...except the power cord. Oops. Related note, family reunion Friday-Sunday, not sure if there's power or internet. Cabins by a lake. I'll make sure I'm caught up Thursday at least.

After that I don't expect missing many evenings this calendar year. I realize this is starting slow, but I'm expecting more action and more compelling encounters once you leave the city.

Edit: Leaving tomorrow morning early. (August 2nd) I'll try to check threads on my phone, but may well not have internet access until Sunday night. So responses this weekend may be short answer with no book access. Will be back Sunday night and taking Monday as vacation day.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-08-01 at 09:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Should be able to post every night for some time, no real trips planned.

Going to try speeding things up a bit. I'll continue to allow roleplaying and purchasing actions in the past in Sundabar, while progressing current time towards hopefully faster action. In particular, the shop next to Jorbis's is well-stocked and suited to adventurers/dungeon crawlers, and Loros will spend several minutes there.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

the 2100 upfront I am presuming this is split among the party of I think 6 or have we lost someone?

if so before leaving I would also pick up 2 holy water (50 gp) using my portion of the split

"elf on the rock" - GM question the task that we signed for are we on any time limit to have the fort cleared out?
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-05 at 06:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    the 2100 upfront I am presuming this is split among the party of I think 6 or have we lost someone?

if so before leaving I would also pick up 2 holy water (50 gp) using my portion of the split

"elf on the rock" - GM question the task that we signed for are we on any time limit to have the fort cleared out?
    The adventurer's shop has a decent stock of holy water. Very large quantities are better purchased at either major temple. Holy water is very difficult to use for evil purposes and very easy to use for good ones. Even accidentally. Both temples put effort into having a large stock and selling at cost. (the silver for the spell)

I meant to state that in the the first morning you meant Jorbis. I'll look back and see if I did, if not here is the gist: He will be arriving with a few others 2 days after you set out. Presumably traveling slower. So gametime is 2:00 pm-ish on the 27th, he will arrive late on the 29th. If the task is almost cleared but not quite he could remain in the cleared area and likely repair the gate(s).

RoTWS has not responded on IC, OOC, or to my last PM. Also hasn't posted recently. I'm currently holding his place, but if he remains absent through the completion of Jorbis's task his shares (initial and final) will be divided. So 300 each now and 300 more on completion, an additional 100 each if he doesn't show.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

okay 2 days time frame - @ party do we take the time to help the elf?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll look over my cheat sheet for perception/initiative and the like. A marching order is worth discussing at this point. Hobbes, Zarakiel, and Ellenallen benefit from being in the front row quite a bit. Zarakiel could fly over allies, might be tricky with 30' average flight. Luin can easily occupy the same space as an ally, as well as fight from range. Lassy has 60' perfect flight so should easily close to melee from middle or back row. None of you are incompetent at melee, but Luin and Samantha are primary casters so generally wouldn't take a front row spot.

Reminder that 3.0 D&D Large(tall) and Large(long) are in play. Critically for this is Hobbes takes up a 5'X5' square. The main road is mostly cleared 10' wide going north from Sundabar to the fort, 3 abreast would be difficult. Underground hallways are also often 10' wide, when they aren't 5' wide.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

I volunteer for front row duty. I can take a lot of punishment.

Sorry for the radio silence. I've not been doing the best job of managing my games lately, but should be better now.
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Lei will be okay 2nd row in a 2 by 2 or position 3 or 4 in single file
    I could mind link with the elf on the rock to see if it is a trap I just am not sure I want to expend the PP to do it.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

I am fine with the proposed position near the back to cast safely.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

edit revised situation
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-29 at 02:51 PM.