The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (3.P) Monsters as PC's [OOC]

Tark
    "Peoplez be scared of us big 'uns. Dey dumb. Dey never see mah tiny friens comin'."

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Tark was always different from the other troll children. He was smart. He wondered why things worked. While the other little trolls would be busy just eating the corpses of the meat thrown to them, and would forget about it after they were eaten, he would try putting the bones back together after consuming the flesh of the meat. Of course he was still a troll so he was rarely successful but he tried and thatís the key point. Normally a smart male troll would get eaten by the Matriarch of their pack but he lucked out. When he was 2, his Pack was captured by hobgoblins.

They killed the Matriarch and cast spells on the others to keep them down. However due to his latent spell resistance, it simply didnít work. He played along, utilizing his low cunning to stay alive and act submissive. But this was to be a time of learning. He had access to captives and through them, he learned the common tongue. A broken version but it still counted for something. He could convey basic concepts. Things like hunger and fear. This was unknown for a troll and he was given to the Hobgoblin Shaman who put him to work as a personal pet/executioner.

Most trolls perish early in their childhood due to savage attacks while their regeneration is still growing but he was smart. He skulked the battlefields that the Hobgoblins threw him on, consuming the corpses left behind by his master. He was living the good life for a troll. Plenty of corpses to eat, to get the closest thing a trolls stomach gets to satisfaction. Knowledge from watching the shaman work and listening to the prisoners tales.

They told him of the gods, of the grand kingdoms and the feasts they gave to their citizens. Any other troll would have been bored and ignored them at best but he kept a careful ear. Indeed, he gave little rewards for their trouble. A toy here, a bit of soap and water there. Enough to keep them telling the stories!

The prisoners promised to show the troll boy the world if he released them...and the fool he was believed them. He broke open their cage with his strength and used his knowledge of the woods to sneak them out. But instead of showing him the world freely like promised, he was captured. They burned him and forced him to accept a collar and a pair of shackles. Now he was to tour the world, except as a prisoner.

They forced him to do tricks, chopping off his limbs and showing them off as they regenerated. He spent the worst years of his life like this, all the way until he was 12. Every day was pain. He begged for help in the only language he knew the word in. Giant. No one understood it though! They just saw a troll screaming and found it funny. But eventually his act became boring and brought in less and less money before one day? They beat him and then tossed him aside.

He was too weak to hunt humans or any other real sentient. Or really anything other than rats. He could barely move! He ate what he could but it wasnít enough. He was eventually discovered and called a pest, the local paladin order moving in to exterminate him. Although at this point, even a boy with a torch could put him out of his misery.

Tark looked up at the man with the flaming sword, fear in his eyes. He was smart enough to know fear, to know that if that thing sliced off his head there would be no coming back. And despite everything, he still wanted to live. There were tastes untold that he hadnít experienced, magic yet to be seen. There was so much to do. But he was to die here. All he wished, before he died was a bite of food, something to soothe his aching stomach as he was put down. He grabbed the Paladins foot and begged him in broken common. ĒF-Food...hungry,Ē

His voice was crackly and his accent horrible but it gave the man pause. Enough for the priest behind him who was praying for even the monsters soul. The Priest cast his spells and found that the soul of the Troll, despite being surrounded by evil deeds, was still untainted. There was potential for good.

Instead of killing the troll, The Priest brought him back and taught him their ways. He was not smart enough to learn the magicks of a priest and their god did not accept a troll as one of their followers but he learned something else. Within their books was a deep conceptual text about the channeling of energies through one's body. He didnít understand a word of it, but with help from the priest (who never gave him his name) he managed to use the knowledge within, granting him great combat prowess.

More importantly than mere skill in a fight, the priest taught him morals. That he couldnít consume sentients merely because he was hungry. He told him to explore the world, to meet people and to come back when he was an accepted member of society. Only then, would his redemption be complete.

Since Samduke left, I'll take Bold Purple!

You are all now adopted as Tark's Little Uns
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Good to meet'cha all. Got an introductory post up in the IC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant12 View Post
    Largest in overall size is a giant owl. Somewhat hunched over while speaking on the ground, it has an assortment of white, brown, and dusty gray plumage. He wears studded leather barding and apparently has been watching you since before you saw him, even with his size.
    Close behind is what looks to be a gray-skinned troll. He wears oddly designed leather armor, and carries no apparent weapons. But his claws look especially dangerous.
    Last is more human-sized and shaped, but looks either a muscular air genasi or actual Djinni. He has long blue-white hair and beard, and looks finely dressed, both clothing and studded leather armor. He has the traditional scimitar at his hip and has some sort of longbow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    So his top was a tiny bit hunched over, something they could see him try to correct but just kept shifting back into the set posture. It had the effecct of making him waver from 13 and a half feet to 14 over and over again.
    Sounds like Tark is in fact quite a bit taller than Orthon's ~9 feet of height, while Orthon is probably only a bit stockier with his wings folded in.

Fun fact: large-size and up creatures in D&D seemingly have their weight determined via dartboard as often as not.
    I got Orthon's by scaling up the largest real-life flying bird in rough compliance with the square-cube law. Which is the most common way that the authors of 3.5 seem to do it.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronity View Post
    Good to meet'cha all. Got an introductory post up in the IC thread.

Sounds like Tark is in fact quite a bit taller than Orthon's ~9 feet of height, while Orthon is probably only a bit stockier with his wings folded in.

Fun fact: large-size and up creatures in D&D seemingly have their weight determined via dartboard as often as not.
    I got Orthon's by scaling up the largest real-life flying bird in rough compliance with the square-cube law. Which is the most common way that the authors of 3.5 seem to do it.
    I expected Tark taller but not by a lot.
    Birds with wings often look larger than they are, I guess actual mass it could be close.

And yes, D&D has always liked square/cube scaling, since at least original D&D. (Yes, I'm old.)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Welcome to the thread. I have been waiting for the new recruits from the shadows. Nice meeting you all.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the awesome avvy.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    It can also turn into a Star wars debate.

5. - Top - End - #155

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    (Tongues)"Well met, friends. I am Zarakiel. Have you come to assist in the investigation of the fort?"
    It's a fair question. Why are we here? Or should we just assume that the answer is 'yes' and worry about the details later?

While I'm not a fan of railroading, I'm leaning towards the latter for the sake of expediency while we're just starting out.

6. - Top - End - #156

MindFlayer

It's a fair question. Why are we here? Or should we just assume that the answer is 'yes' and worry about the details later?

While I'm not a fan of railroading, I'm leaning towards the latter for the sake of expediency while we're just starting out.
    A more than fair question. The short version is you were traveling to Sundabar and met up, then started traveling together. The fort is fairly unusual, both larger and more sturdily built than the other farms in the Vale. And the burnt/destroyed main gate is very visible.
    Sundabar Vale is one of two breadbaskets of the Silver Marches. They usually don't put a lot into the buildings as they have to abandon them every few years to avoid an orcish horde.

I'd like to simply continue, and run with that you had happened to pause for a decent number of minutes, curious about the fort.

I'd be happy to work with background on how/why you went in the direction of Sundabar. I'm not sure where to place that just yet, maybe spoilers in this thread. I have nothing against PM's, but 100 is frighteningly low. So I'd have to delete them depressingly soon.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we upwind or downwind of the stables? If upwind my dude uses his scent ability to try and sniff out whatever is in there/any weird scents in general.

(1d20+8)[18]: Survival
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Hi, I'm still on vacations and lost access to my account for five days. Sorry. I'll speak in bold real if available

9. - Top - End - #159

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Are we upwind or downwind of the stables? If upwind my dude uses his scent ability to try and sniff out whatever is in there/any weird scents in general.

[roll0]: Survival
    You smell a faint odor of horse manure. Neither strong nor recent, but hard to miss.

Also dead humanoids. Some long dead.

10. - Top - End - #160

MindFlayer

Brutal couple days, but don't have anything major to add. You can't see much but a narrow sliver of the courtyard from this angle.

I'll have much more time this weekend.

11. - Top - End - #161

ElfMonkGuy

Fort Scoutin' Perception: (1d20+14)[20]

12. - Top - End - #162

MindFlayer

IC post up for scouting details.

You effectively finished scouting, unless you want to land or get much closer to the ground.

13. - Top - End - #163

ElfMonkGuy

I think we're ready to advance into the fort, unless anyone has preparations.

We might also make a plan to destroy the undead before they can raise some sort of alarm. They effectively haven't seen us yet since they're mindless and apparently not instructed to react to aerial scouting.

Thoughts? It's been a bit silent over the weekend.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-09-30 at 08:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Agree, i'm rolling a knowledge check here for knowledge devotion effects. And gudu will be ready to move in. He can probalby entanle one of them from above with the entangling ectoplasm.

Knowledge religion: (1d20+9)[19]

15. - Top - End - #165

MindFlayer

I overlooked footprints in the snow. There were no fresh ones, including near the two in splint mail. There were rougher areas of snow near the great hall doors/corpse, again nothing fresh. I don't think you'd have much chance of telling track details with some fresh snow from a height.

Also the damage to the corpse doesn't look like axe cuts much. More likely claw and/or bite attacks.

Could schedule entrance to fort for Wednesday night, unless there is objection faster or slower.

That religion check is your first I think, so here's a point: assuming mindless undead, they will attack whenever their orders allow them to. These orders can't be very complex. A chance for a full surprise round is real, if you manage not to trigger one of them. (mindless undead are almost always allowed to attack anything that attacked them)

16. - Top - End - #166

MindFlayer

IC post incoming. Going with Tark and Ellenallen through main gate, flyers in charge range. Gudu Sileso being the exception, presuming around 1 range increment of bow, as he said readying it and he has flyby attack.

FYI, I do roll various random encounters and possibilities with real dice. None happened by the time you get in range of the splint mail humanoids.

Edit: Orthon wins initiative, PM'ed.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-10-02 at 09:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Woo hoo! I am third. Speaking of actions. how are we handling my spells for the day. Since we started in the middle of the event, I dont know if I prepared anything or not. Should I pick spells now for the list of spells available ofr me for the day?

On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.

18. - Top - End - #168

ElfMonkGuy

Not sure if we're using 3.5 or PF rules with regard to crits against undead, but in case of the latter...
    crit confirm: (1d20+5)[10] for (1d6+6)[9] extra damage
    again, +1 to both if I have Studied Target

EDIT: also, damage type is Piercing + Slashing, in case of relevant DR
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-10-03 at 08:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

ElfMonkGuy

actually, on further consideration this is a surprise round and so we only get a partial action.
    ... so, I guess I'll just use that to set up Studied Target, and then dive as described on my next turn? Maneuvers can't typically be used as part of a partial charge.

I'm up for whatever is the least disruptive.

20. - Top - End - #170

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Woo hoo! I am third. Speaking of actions. how are we handling my spells for the day. Since we started in the middle of the event, I dont know if I prepared anything or not. Should I pick spells now for the list of spells available ofr me for the day?
    Pick now, I'd presumed you had standard spells. There may be subleties to arcanist I've missed, but I believe is acts as sorcerer who chooses spells every day from his spellbook? So yes, pick before your turn.

21. - Top - End - #171

MindFlayer

actually, on further consideration this is a surprise round and so we only get a partial action.
    ... so, I guess I'll just use that to set up Studied Target, and then dive as described on my next turn? Maneuvers can't typically be used as part of a partial charge.

I'm up for whatever is the least disruptive.
    Generally only maneuvers that replace charge could be used on a partial charge, yes. Could use those rolls during first actual round. Or partial charge for one attack.

Also: I'm an idiot. I forgot partial action on surprise round, so you would have closed to 30', at least the two non-winged.

Order is :
    Orthon (20)
    Luin Whitefur (17)
    Gudu Sileso (16)
    Ellenallen (12)
    Zarakiel (9, higher bonus)
    Tark (9)

So Tark you could decide on a partial charge or maneuver that could work as standard action.

Not Gudu Sileso's turn quite yet, but 14 will miss. Splint mail mainly.
    Anachronity, choice is partial charge or prepare for full round. (Or standard action spell) You can have studied target up on one of them, set up during approach.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Yup, that's a miss. the dice hate me lately.

23. - Top - End - #173

ElfMonkGuy

Anachronity, choice is partial charge or prepare for full round. (Or standard action spell) You can have studied target up on one of them, set up during approach.
    I suppose I'll partial charge and then just use a full attack next turn rather than spending the maneuver (we can just use the same rolls for the full attack; shouldn't affect the results - a hit with one claw)

Partial Charge: (1d20+10)[23] for (1d6+7)[13] damage

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Pick now, I'd presumed you had standard spells. There may be subleties to arcanist I've missed, but I believe is acts as sorcerer who chooses spells every day from his spellbook? So yes, pick before your turn.
    Yep, but I have to pick between those each day like a wizard. Thanks. Iīll pick them now. Iīll make sure to pick them from start of day staring next in game day. Sorry for the trouble.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Lv. O= Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Daze, Read Magic
    Lv. 1= Protection from evil, Magic Missile, Color Spray

25. - Top - End - #175

MindFlayer

I suppose I'll partial charge and then just use a full attack next turn rather than spending the maneuver (we can just use the same rolls for the full attack; shouldn't affect the results - a hit with one claw)

Partial Charge: [roll0] for [roll1] damage
    Hit for substantial damage, but not overly close to going down. DR 5/slashing, and sluggish movement in response pretty much tells you these are dwarf zombies.

DaOldeWolf next, PM'ing.

26. - Top - End - #176

MindFlayer

Ranged touch attack hits easily on a zombie, fort save for half/negate deafening: (1d20+0)[14] DC looks to be 10+0.5*arcanist level+Cha bonus, or 15.

Damage is 8 if he fails the save, 4 if he makes it. Which won't destroy, I'm assuming you hit the further/already damaged one.

Gudu Sileso missed with an arrow, so Ellenallen next. PM'ing shortly.

27. - Top - End - #177

Ooh, undead fort? Good day for a paladin
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

28. - Top - End - #178

ElfMonkGuy

Gonna throw this out there, since things seem to be taking a while: a lot of PBP games use group initiative, where you average together both sides' initiatives and have each whole side go at once according to its averaged initiative. That way players can make their actions all in parallel rather than in sequence with each waiting on the one before them.

It makes things a lot more swingy, since PC actions aren't interspersed between enemy actions, but unfortunately PBP is a slower medium and compromises often need to be made.
    ... or we could all post proposed actions that will automatically be taken once our initiative comes around unless/until something unexpectedly changes in the combat.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-10-07 at 08:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

MindFlayer

Gonna throw this out there, since things seem to be taking a while: a lot of PBP games use group initiative, where you average together both sides' initiatives and have each whole side go at once according to its averaged initiative. That way players can make their actions all in parallel rather than in sequence with each waiting on the one before them.

It makes things a lot more swingy, since PC actions aren't interspersed between enemy actions, but unfortunately PBP is a slower medium and compromises often need to be made.
    ... or we could all post proposed actions that will automatically be taken once our initiative comes around unless/until something unexpectedly changes in the combat.
    Looked around a bit with google, averaged group initiative seems the general recommendation and has the fewest unintended consequences.

It will make things more swing-y, but should increase the combat round/week ratio substantially. Any input on this will carefully read, but expect some form of group initiative.

For current encounter, remaining players take turns as soon as you can.

Xenopax: this is a surprise round, so full attack isn't likely unless you have pounce from somewhere. You do have a swift/immediate action in addition to partial charge/standard/move action, but readying would only allow a 5' step. You can keep those rolls for next full attack if you want.
    You are 25' feet from the closer troll, 30' from farther. I will get serious about at least a basic battle grid this weekend. Any objections to Roll20? Expect quite basic grids for a couple weeks, skill with that will take time.

Edit: So group initiative is now 13.83, for this encounter.
    Last edited by Covenant12; 2019-10-07 at 06:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Looked around a bit with google, averaged group initiative seems the general recommendation and has the fewest unintended consequences.

It will make things more swing-y, but should increase the combat round/week ratio substantially. Any input on this will carefully read, but expect some form of group initiative.

For current encounter, remaining players take turns as soon as you can.

Xenopax: this is a surprise round, so full attack isn't likely unless you have pounce from somewhere. You do have a swift/immediate action in addition to partial charge/standard/move action, but readying would only allow a 5' step. You can keep those rolls for next full attack if you want.
    You are 25' feet from the closer troll, 30' from farther. I will get serious about at least a basic battle grid this weekend. Any objections to Roll20? Expect quite basic grids for a couple weeks, skill with that will take time.

Edit: So group initiative is now 13.83, for this encounter.
    I'm fne with everything