New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Tips for playing a Shaman?

So I've settled on playing a Shaman in a new campaign coming up, and they look a little on the fiddly side.
    I'm looking for advice on how to make best use of my powers, but the complication is this: depending on party composition, I may be going hybrid with a striker or defender class.
    Any recommendations for which class to pick for either role, or just advice for playing a shaman in general would be much appreciated!
    I'm leaning towards picking powers that grant my allies attacks, assuming I don't feel the need to be our party Striker.
    If I do have to be our main damage dealer, I'm really tempted by a Shaman|Avenger/Swordmage, though Shaman|Monk is probably much easier.
    Any trap options to be aware of?

EDIT: Party is Wizard, Two Weapon Fighter, and Cleric.
    Last edited by Rusty Spoon; 2019-06-10 at 09:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tips for playing a Shaman?

Do you have a solid MBA striker? Because a Wis|Int Animist shaman with Spirit Infusion is really good at handing out a lot of damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Do you have a solid MBA striker? Because a Wis|Int Animist shaman with Spirit Infusion is really good at handing out a lot of damage.
    Heh, that's the power that made me look at the class in the first place. Good to know it's a solid choice!
    I will find out full party comp later today, so far all I know is my character and a wizard. Should have two others, but no idea what they'll be playing yet.
    I'll update with specifics once I know more.

EDIT: Party is Wizard, Two Weapon Fighter, and Cleric.
    Last edited by Rusty Spoon; 2019-06-10 at 09:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My favorite shaman-not-shaman is "wall of fur".

You mix beastmaster ranger, sentinal druid and shaman to have a default of 4 tokens on the board, more when you use (almost exclusively) summon powers.

It might be a bit redundant with a Wizard tho, as it effectively provides insane control.

Leaning striker support might be a better plan.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    My favorite shaman-not-shaman is "wall of fur".

You mix beastmaster ranger, sentinal druid and shaman to have a default of 4 tokens on the board, more when you use (almost exclusively) summon powers.

It might be a bit redundant with a Wizard tho, as it effectively provides insane control.

Leaning striker support might be a better plan.
    I would feel bad hogging the action economy like that, gonna stick with my Avenger|Shaman setup.

So after our first combat I'm feeling a little more comfortable with the build. Keeping my spirit in optimal position is gonna be the tricky part, but don't have to worry about that too much just yet, at least.

Spirit Infusion worked a treat on our Fighter, so that's good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Good to hear it's working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spoon View Post
    I would feel bad hogging the action economy like that ...
    For the record, the build barely alters action economy. Aside from druid summons' instinctive actions, you get no more attacks than anyone else, and moving three tokens instead of one with a move action is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spoon View Post
    Keeping my spirit in optimal position is gonna be the tricky part ...
    Spirit companions are weird in a couple major ways because they're conjurations. By default, conjurations can move in three dimensions freely and don't provoke OAs (only creatures do). That might give you more freedom ... if your DM agrees that's how it should work! People can be opinionated.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list