Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Your favorite and least favorite race

Most favorite:half-orcs, love those big huggable lugs. Especially if the orc lore isn't the "orcs are chaotic evil murderers/pillagers/warmongers" default. Dwarves take the second place, for a more compact version.

Least favorite: elves. I don't like the slender-by-default bodytype, and the dex bonus doesn't help either.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemon

Most: don't really have one. Except gnomes and kenku.

Least: Gnomes & kenku. Gnomes I'm coming around on, but I have no use for the RP elements of kenku. Seems like kender v2.0
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

My favorite are humans, because...

… I assure you, it's because I am one, too. For sure. Yep. Pretty great to be human. Not having to infiltrate societies and keep a low profile just like all the other humans is super relaxing.

My least favorite would be elves.
    There are just too many elves. Smart Elves, Fast Elves, Cave Elves, Water Elves, Air Elves, Goth Elves, Glam Elves.
    One elf I could take. Three elves I could stand. But there are more elves than there are small races. Enough is enough.
    Last edited by loki_ragnarock; 2019-06-12 at 11:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Favorite: Human

Least favorite: Human

Spoiler: Explanation
    Show
    I love to start as a Variant human with a half feat like Tavern Brawler or Resilient. Not only does it let me eek a little more out of Point Buy, but it also lets be start out with shored up defenses or a nice flavor feat.

I dislike standarad human not because of the stats, i could still make those work since I play a lot of MAD characters. I just hate losing out on the Skill Proficiency from the Variant

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

favorite race: Elves or Changelings

least favorite: humans...I got rail-roaded into playing one in real life, that's enough

race I would like to play but haven't had the chance: genasi and tabaxi

Most hated races: gnomes and tieflings....not so much for game reasons but more player issues. I have literally NEVER played in a group with a tiefling that wasn't a super special snowflake edgelord McAngtsypants. Gnomes-every gnome pc except one I've seen in play was chosen because "they were quirky and cute" but in actual play obnoxious and disruptive to the game.
    I know those are in actuality player issues, but experiences have left a bad taste for those two races. I would honestly have a less visceral reaction to someone wanting to play a twin scimitar wielding drow ranger with a cat pet named Drizzle Fo'Shizzle.
    Rule 0: What the DM says goes.
    Rule 0.5: What the DM says goes. And if the DM says enough dumb **** the players go too.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Okay, I’ll play.

Favorite:

At least one of you knows I quit counting how many times I read LOTR at 25 so the fact that my favorite characters from my favorite fantasy books are Aragorn, Gimli, and Gandalf should key you to my choices.

Dwarf (Currently Mountain in 5e for the challenge but it started with those three booklets in the white Box.). No compromise with Evil!

No Scotty style accents. Just no...

Gnomes. The light hearted side of my Dwarf interests plus those 0D&D days as a Fighter/Illusionist Gnome. “Behind you, oops, I lied.”

Humans and I think Standard Humans are way underestimated and Variant Humans are just about perfect/right for heroic role play.

In between are Earth Genasi, Wood Elves, and possibly Tritons. Especially the second due to the book Legolas, not the movie so much. Maybe a “Reformed” to Lawful Neutral Hobgoblin race character. Still considering that.

Not so much is everything else between that and Least.

Speaking of Least:

High Elves (I think Tolkien’s Elves would scoff at these,) Dragonborn - Zzzz, Half-Elf (way too Common,) Tiefling (no, just no,) Orcs (just too Evil with the capital “E”) and anything Gith or Eberron in nature. Most of these last are just emotional based dislikes TBH.

Done.
    I play AL games only nowdays.

Preferences: Role play over optimization; Dwarf over Gnome over Variant Human; War games over FRPG; Zorro over Batman over everyone else.

The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and fighting by fools.

Charles George Gordon
    1833-1885

7. - Top - End - #67
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Gnomes are probably my favorite, but the mechanics for half-elves please my skill-monkey heart. Not a standard race, but I also have a fondness for hobgoblins... I like Klingons, I guess.

Least favorite? I am really annoyed with the current takes on Kobolds and Goblins.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Did anyone here play a human in 4e?

Human
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 30ft
    Languages: Common, one other
    Bonus Feat (equivalent to a quarter-feat in 5e)
    Bonus Skill
    Heroic Effort: When you miss with an attack or fail a saving throw, you can gain a +4 bonus to the roll. You regain use of this feature at the end of a short rest.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Favorite: I like Halflings just because I prefer to play positive and genial characters, and it's kind of baked into their description in lots of ways. Also a huge fan of Tabaxi just because it means you get to talk like a Khajit and, no, that hasn't gotten old for me yet.

Least favorite: Dragonborn. Mechanically, they're garbage, but the thing I hate about them is I've taught the game to my nephews, and also played with some friends' kids, and they think Dragonborn are super-cool and just want to play them, and I've personally witnessed three occasions where excited teenage boys who were new to the game got to use the breath weapon for the first time, and then realized how completely awful it was, and saw how deflated they got. That race sucks. To me, Dragonborn is the race equivalent of the Beastmaster class; it's something that to new players looks really, really cool, but it's astoundingly disappointing because it's just crap.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Your favourite and leadt favourite race

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    The irony of V human being held in high regard and goblin Being called gamey 😁.
    I didn't like fury at first and I would have liked a version if the goblin boss redirect attack but could you imagine.
    Different strokes for different folks. The extra feat doesn’t seem gamey to me since “humans are adaptable” has been their schtick since 2e.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Dwarves, just stop with the scottish accents pop culture. For the love of everything holy just stop.
    There's a Giant in a playground nearby who you may want to have a word with.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-06-12 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Player agency doesn't mean they get to roll for everything. Agency means that they control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) or so I am told ... by 2D8HP

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

My favorite is halfling, I like brave, I love lucky, moving through enemy spaces is fun; and playing a character who is kind of happy-go-lucky suits me. I've never played a thief or a bard halfling, however. Got to avoid some stereotypes.

I don't really have a least favorite, I've never cared for making a character for min maxing stats, and I've lucked out by not having angsty people playing drow or teifling at my tables, or pretentious elves. I'm actually happy with party's current teifling, an orphan true to some angst, but raised by a church and a paladin for 'good' and pretty upbeat. Which I guess from reading this thread I can be thankful for.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    A lot of people did not in my experience. And that was because humans got a +2 to only ONE stat (which you got to choose), and every other race got bonuses to TWO stats. This was exacerbated when every race got to have one choice be a "floating" choice. So dwraves, for example, went from CON/WIS to CON/(WIS or STR).

And this was something I dubbed, at the time, Red Mage Fallacy (not actually named after my avatar here, but named after the 8-Bit Theater character, which my avatar here is also named for). This was something I coined on the WotC boards when they still existed (and I had a different forum handle). Red Mage Fallacy is this: Versatility In Choice is not an advantage when that choice cannot later be changed*. So while some argued that the ability to choose which stat your bonus went to was amazing, I countered with this: As soon as you make the choice of which stat to boost (say...DEX), you are now 2 stat points behind every other +2 DEX race, because those races also got a boost to another stat, which would of course be helpful as your secondary stat, or boost a NAD, or at least some skills.

As I recall the Heroic Effort power also didn't come about until D&D Essentials (the same time the floating stats for other races came about), so that was actually a helpful boost. But by that point, almost all my players were already pretty disenfranchised with the idea of playing a human in 4e. Still, they equated +2 to a stat with a feat, if you compare them to other races. Remember that feats in 4e were usually pretty low-powered (the idea was that Feats Should Be Nice But Not Required), at least until the "feat tax" options started appearing. The Expertise ones that gave actual +1 to hit, and especially with a rider, which honestly was an attempt to fix the math, and a lot of DMs gave out the rider-less bonus to hit version for free to everyone.

So no, 4e was, in my experience, usually marked with a party of characters that did not have a single human among them. I think last time I ran a game it was a dragonborn, a deva, a dwarf, a halfling, a tiefling, and a shadar-kai.

*As an aside, this is also why I maintain that the 3.5e Fighter was in Tier 5, but the Pathfinder (non-archetype, even) Fighter should be in Tier 4. Not only did it get actual class features and even more feats, but PF included the option to retrain feats in the core rules. So feats like Great Cleave, which are only useful at lower levels, can be re-trained for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkmanDanimal View Post
    Also a huge fan of Tabaxi just because it means you get to talk like a Khajit and, no, that hasn't gotten old for me yet.
    Am I the only one who saw the Volo's Guide as "Skyrim races for D&D"?

Argonian = Lizardfolk
    Khajit = Tabaxi

We already had Wood/High/Dark elves, and honestly you could re-fluff Mountain Dwarves as Nords, use regular humans as Imperials, and...I'm actually quite stumped about Reguards.
    Last edited by RedMage125; 2019-06-12 at 02:47 PM.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    One of the most irritating parts of the strip. But at least he took that ball and ran with it to an absurd extreme. If you're going to be annoyingly stereotypical (which 4/6 oots characters are), might as well own it.
    Also I think there is a big difference between a well handled implementation of a stereotype and hundreds of haphazard implementations of a stereotype.

Anyway my dwarves sound like the Swedish Chef from the muppets.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    Oh, I did. Human Bard. I aimed for every skill, but did it through Multiclass feats. He could do a large number of things semi-competently.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    He could do a large number of things semi-competently.
    I want this on my gravestone.

17. - Top - End - #77

Yuan Ti certainly seems a superbly interesting selection: excellent inspiration for backstory, strange mannerisms, strong class synergy, suitable for my favourites and of course... lots of sibilance.

Half elf is also a favourite mechanically, and conceptually it can be a lot of things, but it doesn’t have the identity.

Least favourite? Mechanically anything without darkvision

Conceptually I’m not a fan of halflings

Something I’ve always wanted to play but haven’t been able to? Avariel.

18. - Top - End - #78

I dunno if I have favorites or least favorite races, but I have favorite and least favorite things about races.

Humans are both boring and interesting. You can do just about anything with humans and nobody bats an eye. Then again, I always found "humans are adaptable/versatile" as a hat to be kind of a cop-out? Their racial abilities are kind of dull, too, which often puts me off.

Dwarves are super cool but they never bring anything new to the table - they're always big-bearded beer-drinking miners/smiths, usually with a strong ancestral thing, and it's so entrenched in fantasy culture that you can't really do anything different with them and still call them dwarves.

I like elves a lot, personally. They have a lot of interesting RP potential, and in 5E, they get some cool racial abilities. They're also, ironically, probably more diverse than humans are - considering the number of elven subraces. High/wood/dark elf are pretty standard, but you can see wildly different kinds of elves from one setting to the next. On the other hand, the standard-issue 'haughty jackass' is a super dull way to portray their alienness. I don't often see them roleplayed very well, but I like it when I do.

Gnomes seem kind of redundant - dwarves have a lock on "expert craftsman", elves already do the "magical fey creature" thing, halflings have the "quirky pastoral folk" schtick. Then again, halflings never seem to bring much of interest to the table.

Planetouched races are kind of dull - I sort of roll my eyes at "humans, but with X". That said, edginess notwithstanding, I like the "marked by the Beast/cast out of society" thing Tieflings can bring (although I wish their demonic heritage was a little less hard fact), I like to flavor Genasi as a lesser form of genie, and a friend of mine has done a "Tyrael-from-Diablo" thing with an Aasimar character, which I thought was pretty interesting.

If I had a least favorite, it would be Dragonborn. All the most superficial parts of dragons with none of what makes them interesting.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Favourite races:

Variant Teiflings. I like the general idea of being descended from some sort of fiendish creature and also the sheer degree of customisation possible.

Elves. I understand why people dislike elves, but (at least from my perspective) D&D elves seem pretty good in that regard. Not least because they're not just outright better than humans. They have strengths and weaknesses, just as humans do. I also like the fey aspect of them, though U'll confess that I probably don't explore it with my elf characters as much as I should.

Oddly, one thing I never liked about D&D elves was that they go into a trance instead of sleeping. For some reason that just never clicked with me.

Changeling. I've yet to play one but I love the concept.

Most hated races:

Standard Tieflings. I know this might seem a bit odd, but one of the things I most despised from 4e (which 5e decided to keep) was that it took all the variety and creativity from Tieflings and threw it all in the bin. Now every Tiefling is just Asmodeus, complete with red skin, impractically-large horns and a fat tail. How unimaginably thrilling. Boy would I hate it if the tiefling race happened to include characters who aren't Hellboy.

Half-Orc. I don't know if 'hate' is the right word for these. 'Apathy' would probably be closer. I could see myself playing most of the other races, even if only very occasionally, but half-orcs just never interested me.

Dragonborn. Lizardmen MK2: New colours available! More seriously though, these guys seem like far too much human/lizard and far too little dragon. Their fluff is so dull I can't even remember it. I don't know, especially mechanically, it just seems like someone re-skinned lizardfolk rather than actually making a race born of dragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Surely there is no other reason why they would hire a charismatic and intelligent if scandalous infernal-blooded pretty boy to steal an high-ranking woman's clothes.
    “Plot” is what the DM does to amuse himself when the players aren’t talking.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Favorites probably wood elves. I think they make for an interesting dominant race in wilderness settings.

Least favorite are dragonborn. There's just nothing appealing about them that justifies their existance. I rather have sophisticated lizardmen empires.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den - Sword & Sorcery, Bronze Age, Adventuring RPG Stuff

Under the Moons of Kaendor - A Wilderness Setting of of 90s Sword & Sorcery

21. - Top - End - #81

BlackDragon

I suppose that I agree that the Lore/Fluff for Kinku is also on my Least Favorite list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post
    Most hated races:
    <Snip>
    Dragonborn. Lizardmen MK2: New colours available! More seriously though, these guys seem like far too much human/lizard and far too little dragon. Their fluff is so dull I can't even remember it. I don't know, especially mechanically, it just seems like someone re-skinned lizardfolk rather than actually making a race born of dragons.
    Right. What I really don't like is WotC trying to give everything to everyone. With the "Dragonborn may or may not be descended from Dragons" bit.
    Looking at *you* Faerun!!

What? Like Dragonborn are "mini" Kiju?
    (Reference to classic Godzilla movies and cartoons, where Giant Creatures with Elemental Powers just "suddenly" appeared - for "The King of Monsters" to fight.)

Spoiler: Rant
    Show
    The biggest part of the Dragonborn Lore/Fluff that I hate: was that everything was just blended together, were they were all one "color", and any Dragon "type" could come from any "Dragonborn Clan". Like, the "father" had the Breath and Resistance of a Green Dragon, the "mother" had the Breath and Resistance of a Blue Dragon; but when the PC cames along, they have the Breath and Resistance of (somehow) a Gold Dragon!!

And seems like the Gem and Ferris Dragons were "ignored". Although I do understand not listing all the various "other" Dragons.
    (I'm not fond of the Shadow Dragon "template")

I changed the Fluff in my games: so that each Dragonborn "Clan" is actually a single Dragon type, and the various Clans don't "all just get along". Also, Alignment was more of a "Personal Preference" deal, where so long as you "helped the Clan", you were at least tolerated.
    Crossbreeding is possible, but usually with Humans/Humanoids, before other Dragonborn types.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed

Without a Playtest Group - I'm Forever Stuck in the White Room.

I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by karellink View Post
    2019-05-19 2:04 pm
    as a great dragon you must have the correct wisdom for these kind of shenanigans.
    Mark Hall said

× This must be supported by all sides to remain effective.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fav: Lizardfolk - because i loved the reptites in Chrono Trigger and as such cant help but headcannon Lizardfolk as awesome dinosaur-people.

Least fav: Bugbears, because like wtf are they even supposed to be? Some sort of big long-armed goblin-thing?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Favorite: A two way tie. Dwarf and Lizardfolk. Dwarf makes the list in almost every fantasy game I play. I've always felt an affinity for the Dwarvish race and they have long been one of my favorite elements of any fantasy setting. As for Lizardfolk, they are a new obsession of mine. Partially because of my love of Argonians in Elder Scrolls, and partially because I realized I'm a scaley. >.>

Least Fave: Human. Hands down. Does matter about variant or not. Hate it. I got stuck being a human in real life and I really hate it here, why would I play one in a fantasy game? (my hate of playing humans even went as far as making my last campaign in a world where humans went extinct. It has been received super well so far)

Edit: Honorable favorite mention to Kobolds. Always a lot of love for my little scaley schemers.
    Last edited by Arctus Tyrvar; 2019-06-13 at 01:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Favourite: Dragonborn
    Least favourite: Halfling (I have had bad experiences with a group of ninja halflings)
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Half-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

25. - Top - End - #85

I'm usually a DM and I have a few preferences because of that specifically. When I'm a player my preferences change a bit, so I split my list into two.

DM Favorites:
    - Humans, because I find that many players focus more on distinguishing their characters
    - Halflings, because Break the Cutie is a great trope

DM Disfavorites:
    - Gnomes, because their default niche is weird and fuzzy against halflings and dwarves
    - Tritons, because they're just haughtier high elves with gills
    - Drow, because they generate all of two characters: the Drizz't clone and the anti-Drizz't clone

Player Favorites:
    - Humans
    - Lizardfolk, because they're fun and strange without feeling too gimmicky
    - Kenku, because a well-done Kenku can still play all sorts of different roles despite their signature inability to actually talk
    - Kobolds and Goblins, because playing a smelly little ankle-biter appeals to me somehow

Player Disfavorites:
    - Gnomes, because their default niche is weird and fuzzy between halflings and dwarves
    - Dragonborn, because their mechanics don't scale well and they always feel tacked on to settings I play in
    - Firbolgs, because they're too weird and niche for me to come up with good defining traits

26. - Top - End - #86

Beholder

Favorite: Gnomes. I've enjoyed gnomes since I first played a gnome illusionist back in 2nd D&D.

Close Runner Up: Lizardmen. Because they're walking alligators. What's not too love?

Least Favorite: Goliaths. So basically huge grey-skinned babarians? Bleh. Boring. Maybe if they had some more engaging fluff I'd change my mind.
    Last edited by xroads; 2019-06-13 at 04:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I suspect role players of the first water can make characters of any race uniquely theirs. Boring means you just have not found the right character design (note I did not say build,) yet.

Since 1973 I have played with world designs where humans were the dominant race in game setting reality (non-human NPCs were rare and hard to find) and designs where another race was that dominant - Dwarf were the ruling nobility Ancien Régime of the world like in the late 1700s and the Goblins were the Revolutionary Masses of France essentially in one game.

In the end for generic fantasy where anyone can be any race it is the skill of a DM and a Player who alone determines the fun factor of a race in a game.

YMMV
    I play AL games only nowdays.

Preferences: Role play over optimization; Dwarf over Gnome over Variant Human; War games over FRPG; Zorro over Batman over everyone else.

The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and fighting by fools.

Charles George Gordon
    1833-1885

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Most Fav- Half elf and water genasi.

Least Fav- Dragonborn. I like them, but mechanically I feel they got the short end of the stick.

Would love to play an Aasimar paladin, Gnome Wizard and a Tortle Druid.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

I almost exclusively play druids, so my answer is flavoured a litte by that.

Favourite:
    Firbolg. There's just so much you can do. It's not really powerful, it's just useful. Having super-Disguise Self is a big part of this. Be 6'4"-6'8" at character creation and you can be almost anyone. Because, should the big reveal happen, you're not actually a horribly evil race. Just a nature-centric mini-giant that was trying to "fit in". So, no problems. Speech of Leaf and Beast is fun too, especially once the DM clicks that you can't turn it off. Ever.
    Having one of the best racial defensive manuoevers is nice as well, popping invis on a bonus action at the end of your turn. And flicking on magic-vision, whenever you think it could be useful, even though you don't have darkvision, is great. More helpful than you'd ever think of preparing the spell is. Making a dump-stat good is nice too, because sometimes Strength can get checked, especially if you're wildshaping into the heavy lifter or a tiny creature (and is easy to explain why that racial carries over. It's because there is big and strong versions of beasts, just like you).

2x lvl1 spells/short rest, tell-animals-what-to-do "forever", and a combat defense "pop" that is essentially another lvl1 spell but that can also very vaguely be used out of combat for hiding/situationally? So 3x lvl1 spells/short rest, and a constant ability that is usually a spell. And you can carry 270lbs at dump-stat levels in a not-huge-form? Yeah, love 'em. Firbolgs are great. Sort of a blank slate since their re-write, so you can go other ways with them from there, old, new, or yours. Volo don't know everything. Their intro blurb of "F'off adventurers!" to their "noble savages" view of Volo shows just how many ways, shapes and forms a Firbolg can take.

Work great as druids, clerics, fighters, monks, barbarians, rogues, wizards and probably some other things.

Least favourite:
    Variant human or High Elf. Vhuman is just too damn good, even though I love the options it offers. High Elf is actually kind of nice, but they seem kinda bad on background and character, because elf-with-a-cantrip-and-some-weapons is easy to fit into anything, but it kinda doesn't feel like it "gels" easily into a world. Same with most elves actually. Semi-immortal always makes stuff weird.

It's strange that I dislike some of the most flexible races while liking a side-serve outlier, considering how highly I prize versatility, but there it is. Cool racial magic is cool.
    Last edited by sambojin; 2019-06-15 at 03:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

My go to race:
    Forest gnomes. They’re everything I want in a character. Small, animal affinity, innate versatile magic. That on top of any class makes this my go to

Races I don’t play:
    Dwarves, in a similar sense to the Elf argument. They’re always drunk and some sort of European accent. I can’t seem to separate that from them

Bonus:
    Kalashtar, tortle, tabaxi
    -ninja turtle, cats!, dual minds with a psionic twist