New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power 7: Bad Luck for the Starstruck!

Not all crops can be harvested by machines. For example, wine grapes, while there are machines to harvest them, they arent always usable for a variety of reasons both practical and preference based. Im sure there are plenty of crops where "Hand harvested for higher quality" is a selling point if not just the best way to do it. There are plenty of odd jobs that could be easier done by a person than a machine as well. For all we know, the warp mines of xenoth prime emit radiation that is harmless to specific species, but lethal to machinery. And yes, sex slavery.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wasn't there that gay character a while back in the background who literally did nothing and Mookie just said they are gay? I mean, so we totally had a gay character already.

Yeah but... she was in the last ten strips and she was tentacly for five strips or so? Or am I misremembering the pacing?
    You're right. Clonica was wholly irrelevant to the story. However, the entirety of the story was to serve as setup for Clonica, so...?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Not all crops can be harvested by machines. For example, wine grapes, while there are machines to harvest them, they arent always usable for a variety of reasons both practical and preference based. Im sure there are plenty of crops where "Hand harvested for higher quality" is a selling point if not just the best way to do it. There are plenty of odd jobs that could be easier done by a person than a machine as well. For all we know, the warp mines of xenoth prime emit radiation that is harmless to specific species, but lethal to machinery. And yes, sex slavery.
    That is correct. There will probably always be jobs that machines cannot do, but the issue is that these "odd jobs" are just that: odd. There aren't enough of them to support a thriving slaver industry, at least not by themselves. Now, if these gangsters primarily peddle in sex trafficking, then the pipeline would already be in place for them to have a side business of non-sex slaves without any significant added expense. So, there is a glimmer of hope that maybe they aren't trying to sell Burke on his looks.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    You're right. Clonica was wholly irrelevant to the story. However, the entirety of the story was to serve as setup for Clonica, so...?

That is correct. There will probably always be jobs that machines cannot do, but the issue is that these "odd jobs" are just that: odd. There aren't enough of them to support a thriving slaver industry, at least not by themselves. Now, if these gangsters primarily peddle in sex trafficking, then the pipeline would already be in place for them to have a side business of non-sex slaves without any significant added expense. So, there is a glimmer of hope that maybe they aren't trying to sell Burke on his looks.
    It could also be the equivalent of a luxury good in that you dont make your profit in slave trading through bulk sales but in high profit margins. And considering these crime families are likely a part of literally every other crime you can think of, someone saying, "Hey, I need a few people sent to this corner of the galaxy against their will for... reasons and will pay handsomely for it" isnt such a stretch. Its not like they are going to go. "Hey WOAH! Look, I had no problem arranging your political rival to be "proven" guilty of sex with sea creatures until they "committed suicide" via jumping into acid, but trafficking PEOPLE?!?!?! Thats gross!" Instead they will go "Ok, lets talk costs and risks here." And remember, its a vast galaxy out there, even if every planet has people purchasing just a few dozen slaves a year thats still a LOT of slaves on a yearly basis. But yes it would make more sense if this was in addition to sex slavery. At this point though im half expecting to find out that there is a number of species out there who find various alien races to be a delicacy and so there are hidden diners all over the place that serve "fake" human meat with a nudge and a wink. I remember watching some martial arts film using a similar premise, restaurants that serve endangered species to their wealthy criminal clientele.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah but... she was in the last ten strips and she was tentacly for five strips or so? Or am I misremembering the pacing?
    I think the cover is pretty good.
    Displays the known villain in the background, plus an unknown threat that does appear in the story.

Was it the main focus? Of course not!
    I remind you that the Hymn arc played with about 5 stories at the same time while never developing any of them, so might as well pick one.
    Could have been worse, it could have been Burke looking at a portrait, or Brightman in bed.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the causual sex was awkward not because it was two consenting adults, but it was handled weirdly. They both look at each other and start salivating over each other, rather than going 'welp, I need some stress relief, you game?' as a much more causal thing rather than a sexual attraction that NEEDED to be mentioned. In front of someone else, no less. It's quite obvious it isn't just a quickie, but that they are smitten. I'm smelling a badly inserted love interest.

Also Grex got her rocks off as her partner was potentially in trouble, because she KNEW the place was monitored and last she knew, he was getting his butt beat for the umpteenth million time. Not a great time to get distracted even if the detective is the hottest thing ever, especially since Grex was so protective of him until Tall, Purple and Lanky showed up.
    I mean, she could have least kept her clothes on to expedite things. I think. I'm actually not sure how this works anymore.

Bringing slaves as a sort of "sample product" does actually make sense in the same way as showing the quality of any product would affect one's desire to purchase said product. However, you'd want to bring slaves who've already been conditioned into servitude. Bringing a new, still rebellious slave will only look bad. Now, having said that, this could make sense if they, instead, are here to showcase a new control technology that quickly and easily reign in even the most disobedient slave. I somehow doubt Mookie thought this through that much, however. I'm sure his thought process starts and ends with, "Wouldn't it be cool if ..."
    Well...If you want your slave for fighting purposes or...Uh, really intimate services, you might want them feisty. Or, to expand on the food thing, maybe a healthy, disobedient slave is seen as tastier and fresher than a more wilting one.

EDIT: I doubt this would happen, but I could see an alien race trying to pick out more combative humans to be pets. 'I call the large one bitey!'
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2019-06-19 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I think the cover is pretty good.
    Displays the known villain in the background, plus an unknown threat that does appear in the story.

Was it the main focus? Of course not!
    I remind you that the Hymn arc played with about 5 stories at the same time while never developing any of them, so might as well pick one.
    Could have been worse, it could have been Burke looking at a portrait, or Brightman in bed.
    As always, I don't really have an issue with the art but I still think the tentacles are a poor choice even if I see the intent. But yes, it is kind of hard to come up with a good idea for the cover given the story told. Because the clones were SUCH A SURPRISE they couldn't possibly include a hint for that...
    Off the top of my head I might have picked a menacing Clonica shadow?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What's confusing me, wasn't the local Family (Ambulances or something like that?) the ones who weren't taking part in the slave trade?
    So why are they abducting those people now? And Burke?

I mean if they suspected there was some human snooping around they wouldn't need them awake for the Meeting would they?
    Or rather they wouldn't need them at the Meeting at all.
    A nice comfortable* interrogation room would be a better location.

So what's the point?
    Catering?
    Maybe a bit short term on the food aquisition...
    Who knows how healthy those guys are.
    I mean Burke was literally picked up in a seedy bar.
    That can't make for a quality meal.
    Might as well bring some burgers.

*for the interrogator
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I think the statement made was there was no proof of them being involved, which would have been a cool indication of them being not as clichee as the others, but iirc in the next panel their hitmen attacked PI guy.

Of course, this could be totally a red hering and those hitmen were send from somebody else and they actually abducted Burke to talk to him (they are bad at this) and the other humans are rescued slaves. But that would be surprising, so...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

RED ALERT!

Man the battlestations!

This is not a drill!

DOMINIC DEEGAN IS UPDATING AGAIN!

I repeat: this is not a drill!

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/july-2-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    RED ALERT!

Man the battlestations!

This is not a drill!

I.... I am not sure what to feel here.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    RED ALERT!

Man the battlestations!

This is not a drill!

Um... wat .-.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

And given that butt, it seems like he wasted NO time in getting an injured woman onto the screen. I admit, I am a little worried.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for this critical update. So this means, what, Garth can't keep up with mookie's writing of Star power?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

In case you missed it, this is actually The Legacy of Dominic Deegan. Want a plot synopsis? Mookie has already provided one:
    The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is set 200 years after the events of Oracle for Hire. A deaf mongrelman called Snout stumbles upon a mysterious scrap of paper, and his curiosity drives him to search for clues regarding an obscure librarian from a centuries-old city across the world. Snout must determine if he can trust what he sees, reads, and learns in his quest for the untold fate of Dominic Deegan.

Note: This entire story is told from Snout's perspective, so there will be no dialogue on any page.
    Emphasis mine
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    In case you missed it, this is actually The Legacy of Dominic Deegan. Want a plot synopsis? Mookie has already provided one:

Emphasis mine
    I can't tell if that's an interesting artistic choice or just laziness.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Thank you for this critical update. So this means, what, Garth can't keep up with mookie's writing of Star power?
    Can't be bothered more likely. He was updating fine a year or two ago.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

17. - Top - End - #47

Garth went into burnout, he wrote a long post about it some time ago, when he announced the schedule changes. https://www.starpowercomic.com/on-th...ct-of-burnout/
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    D: Is anyone else a little creeped out that the Snout character has 'Deaf' written on his shirt? That can't go anywhere nice.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Me neither.

And I'm not sure if it will or won't improve the end result.

(Also, doesn't this mean we we need to make a new DD thread?)
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't see how Mookie's art style can fit to show complex movements or emotions to replace hearing (to be fair, that's a hard thing for any artist).

However, he IS literate and from what I understand it will involve chasing reading materials, so I expect many walls of text.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Me neither.

And I'm not sure if it will or won't improve the end result.

Oh, I am 100% certain that it will be worse. For as bad as Mookie dialogue is, his entire storytelling "technique" relies upon it like a crutch. I'm not sure. Mookie even knows what visual storytelling is.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Your wish is my command.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The reward for the highest tier stretch goal is getting a print version of the Mookie-drawn filler chapter? Damn, that's some impressive ego he's got there.

24. - Top - End - #54

The reward for the highest tier stretch goal is getting a print version of the Mookie-drawn filler chapter? Damn, that's some impressive ego he's got there.
    I see it as mercy, it maximizes the chances that this print version will not see the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

Love how the new cover page leaves clear the obvious outcome. Because mobsters aren't that much of a threat when you have Captain Marvel level of superpowers.
    Again, why didn't they bring Danica to the meeting in the first place?
    Last edited by faustin; 2019-08-05 at 03:44 PM.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

This break has taken so long, that I barely remember what happened in part one. I suspect that won't be detrimental to reading party two.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Like how the new cover page leaves clear the obvious outcome. Because mobsters aren't that much of a threat when you have Captain Marvel level of superpowers.
    In story its because the detective is paranoid and so didnt want anyone else involved. Narrative-wise it was because they needed to draw out the story to make it more than a half dozen comics long. Kind of like when in Grrl Power Maxima "just happened" to be on the other side of a cave in so the setting supergirl couldnt casually obliterate the threat before everyone else got to show off a bit. If danica had been there most of the threat would have been negated and the story would be a lot shorter.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Like how the new cover page leaves clear the obvious outcome. Because mobsters aren't that much of a threat when you have Captain Marvel level of superpowers.
    The outcome never really was in question. We are just here for the ride and see how it goes there.
    And to be fair: A certain season of a certain show that includes flying lizards and female mammaries proved that subverting expectations isn't a good thing in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Those brave men never stood a chance against the vile alien conqueror.

Hey, without context that's a entirely valid interpretation.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the cover again, this action makes no sense. How is Danica doing a roundhouse kick and an uppercut punch at the same time? And why is the guy in the foreground getting knocked back to the right when he was kicked from the right? And what's hitting that third guy who's just flying back for no reason? This is a rather incompetent composition.