Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 77
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Afternoon, South bank of the Fever River,
    Three daysí ride west of Crag Keep,
    House Feverís Lands, The North


    Lily Stone, Elkis

    A sudden noise cut through the woods, a noise loud enough to be heard clearly by the rough lord and the young woman making their way towards the shipwreck: the clear clarion of Aran's war horn, blown once, coming from the west. Vyse and Blacktooth's heads both snapped around as they heard it, pointing the direction clearly.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Elkis Stoneshore

    The Lord wanders through the forest, allowing Lily to lead. She knew it better, after all, she had seen the trail through the eyes of a wolf. He keeps his weapons ready in case of any wolves seeking to ambush them. His head snaps to attention along with Blacktooth's "That sounds like that Horn Arvid had. Here I thought he was picking up a hobby" He moves with his cat in that direction

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Rodrik Drake

    Rodrik did not answer the kennel master. Instead, his eyes were fixed on the approaching shapes from the wilderness, and the growling. It was only when he tried to move sidelong, and felt a tugging in his left hand, that he realized he was still leading a horse that, faithful steed though he might have been, was none too keen on exposing a flank to the oncoming wolf pack.

    Rodrik quickly consulted his options. If they attack, the best thing that happens is Flash runs off, and I have to chase him a mile in the wilderness. Worst case, the wolves find him before I do. The thought of his steed filling wolf bellies, far more than the older men's words, steeled him, and he sprung into action. He backed Flash up underneath one of the willows, an action the old bay was more than happy to take, and then tied the reins quickly to a drooping branch. The knot was only a few quick loops and a knot, but it would keep the horse from bolting. With his left hand free, he ran it along the horse's back as he dropped back to the saddlebag, and pulled from it his helm. Polished black steel, the ridge helm had an aventail welded on to cover the mouth and neck. Not much use in a joust, but here in a fight with wolves, it would stop teeth sure enough. He donned the helm, snapped the chinstrap tight, and pulled down the mail of the aventail to protect his face. Then he unslung his shield and stood between Flash and the wolves.

    "Pull back and stand near the head of the horse, Arvid. Flash's hooves will protect our flanks."

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Arvid, Rodrik, Aran

    Afternoon, South bank of the Fever River,
    Three daysí ride west of Crag Keep,
    House Feverís Lands, The North


    The beasts came out of the trees. Slowly, with not a little caution - but confident nonetheless. Rodrik counted five. Six. More than could be easily counted. Shape after shape, all haggard, all with teeth bared. Desperate beasts, certainly. Wolves didn't normally approach in force unless some cunning part of their brains was confident they could overwhelm the enemy ... or because hunger and ferocity had overridden all cunning and need to take down weak opponents first.

    They came padding across a clearing in the swamp, moving effortlessly over a great boulder in their path, slowly spreading out before the three men and Arvid's three hounds. Eight. Nine. Ten.

    They were certainly outnumbered. It had to be a full wolf pack, though there was at least one mercy: no direwolves among them, and certainly not the semi-legendary Great Wolf that was said to have once been the companion of a Stark and who was said to still lead a great pack somewhere in the South.

    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show


    Spoiler: Initiative Count, other notes
    Show

    Hounds: 14
    Wolves: 11
    Arvid: 11
    Rodrik: 10
    Aran: 4

    The scale of the map is 1 square to 1 yard.

    As said, Lily, Elkis, Blacktooth and Vyse will be arriving next round - I will put them in the initiative count when they do.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga and Malena

    Crag Keep, House Fever Holdings
    The North


    Drummond took the offered brooch, and then moved to take one of the drinks. "As you say. I should prefer to remain a while with my men, though, and accompany yourself and your Master At Arms when you conduct these inquiries. My people will not appreciate it were I to leave this matter unresolved before I depart."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga nodded.

    "Perfectly reasonable. Stabling and lodging fit for your needs and station are yours as long as is required for your satisfaction. Let me know if any other specific arrangements needs be made."


    She took a long drink.

    "I don't believe they are a part of my Lord father's retinue at the moment. Argyle, where are the Bonehammers currently assigned?"


    If they were to take a while to be summoned, perhaps she could attend to other petitions in the meantime, lest this affair swallow up the entirety of the day.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Bowerbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Arvid spits to one side, the condition of these animals didn't give him much hope they'd be easily intimidated. Whistling to his hounds, he commands them to stay arrayed in front of the group, ready to intercept the oncoming beasts as he hefts his battleaxe and with a thunk embeds it in a nearby log, already drawing the hunting bow from one shoulder. He briefly scans the approaching pack for signs of a more dominant wolf, before knocking an arrow and firing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still learning how the system works, but I'm going with:
    Free Action: Command the Hounds, this is mostly to reinforce the command to stay back with the group he gave previously.
    Free Action: Drop Battleaxe, in a way he can easily grab it when the wolves get close.
    Free Action: Draw Hunting Bow
    Lesser Action: Pick a target and Aim
    Lesser Action: Fire

    If possible I'd like to roll Awareness to see if he can pick out a lead wolf, if he does he'll fire on them, if he doesn't or he can't he'll fire on the closest one he can see.

    Awareness (Notice): (4d6b3)[3][1][2][1](7) Nearest wolf it is!
    Marksmanship: (4d6)[6][2][6][2](16)
    Damage (if applicable): (2d6)[5][4](9)

    Hopefully I'm doing this right, let me know if not.
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2019-06-15 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Rodrik Drake

    Rodrik sidled slightly to his left, drifting further beneath the cover of the tree. His shield was firmly out in front of him, and his sword he carried cocked, ready to drive forward from the shoulder with a stab rather than hack with an overhand cut. Under the trees, the sword could easily get tangled up in the branches, making this an exercise in control. But with his shield, the tree stump, and Flash's hooves anchoring the left side, the wolves could only effectively encircle from one direction, giving the far more experienced warrior Aran the chance to use his sword to good effect.

    They're just wolves. Kill one or two of them, and their morale would break. Rodrik knew his steel was better than their teeth. He just had to make sure to kill rather than to wound the animals. If he left them wounded, he feared they would be set upon by their packmates in the condition they were in, or even if their pack cared, those wounds would fester, leaving a lingering death he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free action to move one square N on the map.
    Ready action. First wolf that comes at him gets stuck with the pointy end.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    woodwalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Aran gives another blow on his horn, hoping to warn away the wolves, but it seems this fight is coming. He spreads out a little bit from Rodrick. He needs the room to swing his hammer.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free Action: Move one block south
    Ready attack with hammer

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Afternoon, South bank of the Fever River,
    Three daysí ride west of Crag Keep,
    House Feverís Lands, The North


    The wolves swarmed in, roughly half of the pack turning to make their way north and under the treeline. The remainder came bounding in towards the menís party, though not close enough to attack. The leading two got within striking range of Arvidís hounds.

    One missed.

    The otherís jaws caught on the houndís face and dug in, drawing blood and an answering snarl from Arvidís companion. The wolf held on, starting to wrestle with the war hound Ö

    Ö until Arvid put an arrow right through the wolfís neck, and it collapsed to the earth, lifeless.

    More movement through the trees Ö and so emerged Elkis, Lily, and their two animal companions.

    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In game terms, Iíve played with the Wolf stats in one respect: their bites are deemed as Grab weapons, i.e. if I exceed a targetís passive Athletics score, the beast locks on, gets a +2 to the Bite damage, keeps the target from moving, and the target takes a -5 to Combat Defence.

    The Hounds I deem took the Wait action, i.e. their next test roll gets a +2d6 (subject to max dice rolls).
    Hound 3 got hit and is at 4/9.

    Bowerbird, your rolling is right on Ė 9 damage is enough to put a wolf down. Having dropped the battleaxe Ė in L4 for future reference Ė just remember if you move youíll have to come back to that square to pick it up again.

    As said, Elkis and Lily have now arrived on the scene. So the new Initiative Count is:

    Blacktooth: 24
    Elkis: 21
    Vyse: 16
    Hounds: 14
    Wolves: 11
    Arvid: 11
    Rodrik: 10
    Lily: 7
    Aran: 4


    Rodrik and Aran still have readied actions which might or might not be relevant this round when the Wolves get their turn.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Elkis Stoneshore
    Combat Defense: 16 Health: 9

    Elkis storms out from the woods, spear in hand and shield ready. Blacktooth growls at the wolves surrounding the first group who had been scouting. He batters his spear on his shield, shouting like an animal at the canines. "Wolves! Bah! These aren't wolves1 There pups, if I see anyone of ye dying here, I'll give ya skull to a bonehammer!" he shouts, before charging at one of the wolves!

    Blacktooth, for her part, charges into two separate wolves. Her teeth and claws each aiming to a separate wolf, ready to shred them to pieces.

    Spoiler: Actions!
    Show

    Elkis goes to charge Wolf 8!
    (6d6b5)[27]

    For 8 damage (+2 from charging)Times Degree's of success

    Blacktooth goes to charge Wolves 1 and 2!
    (4d6)[15] Vs Wolf 1 for 6 damage (+2 from charging) times degrees of success
    (4d6)[18] Vs Wolf 2 for 7 damage (+2 from Charging) times degrees of success





    Last edited by Shadowflick; 2019-06-17 at 05:53 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Rodrik Drake

    The world narrowed to the field of vision through Rodrik's helm. Inside his aventail, Rodrik could feel his breath coming fast; he forced him apprehension down. He had thought that the wolves would circle; instead they seemed to have all ducked right. In response, Rodrik pushed towards the wolves.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show

    Free action to move one square south.

    Ready action, waiting to strike any animal that attacks
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2019-06-18 at 12:06 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga and Malena

    Crag Keep, House Fever Holdings
    The North


    Argyle Snow straightened from his at-ease position by the wall as Saga spoke. He was a big man - nowhere near as big as Denys Dustin, Fever's technical liege lord, who was seven feet tall and in the prime of his youth - but his size and his frame told the world why he held authority over the sometimes-motley bunch that made up most of House Fever's forces.

    Spoiler: Portrait of your Master at Arms
    Show


    As if the man's frame and power wasn't strong enough, his story also commanded apprehension if not fear: Argyle was a Karstark bastard, whose family had perished at Last Hearth when the dead broke the Wall and marched on Winterfell. He was a sour, authoritarian who respected the Wildling way of battle and who was one of the best trainers of men Saga had met - including in the somewhat more cosmopolitan surrounds of White Harbour.

    "The Bonehammers are on maneuver in the hills," said Argyle; he was referring to the small mountain range which occupied this area of House Fever's dominions; the Crag was their last offshoot before they reached the river. "I can send a runner to find their commanders, but it'll be tomorrow before they're back in any case."
    "Then I believe we will take up your offer of lodgings for the night, and the guest right that comes with it. Until tomorrow. I would be present when you begin your inquiries with your unit's commanders," said Lord Drummond. Maester Ashford beckoned to a servant and whispered in his ear a moment; that servant stepped back over to Drummond, bowed, and escorted the lord and his entourage out of the hall.

    Argyle Snow ambled up to the council table. "Bit of an uppity one, that," said the master at arms.
    "He was not inaccurate when he said his family is contemporary with the Starks," said Maester Ashford, folding his hands before him. "There are some accounts in the Citadel in which a Drummond is recorded as the herald of Brandon the Builder. That is where their drum sigil originates from. They certainly go back to the time of the First Men when they crossed into the North - the Drummonds still bury their lords in barrows, as the Dustins once did. The family have been bannermen to the Starks for as long as any in the North, even if we - like them - are bound to the will of House Dustin." The Maester glanced to see whether Saga was ready for the next petition, and signalled the doormen to allow entrance.

    The day wore on with relatively trivial affairs: a pig here, a request for supplies to repair a roof from the last rainstorm there. The last prompted Argyle to speak up after that petition had gone, again to Maester Ashford: "How long before the next winter again?"
    "That is only conclusively told when a white raven arrives from the Citadel," said Maester Ashford.
    "I know that, old horse," said Argyle. "How about a guess?"
    "My estimate would be between a year and a half and two years away. We seem to have resumed a normalised summer-winter cycle, at least for now."
    "Won't be long before we have to start stocking up against it, then."
    "True, but neither would I expect the winter to be overlong. Based off the previous one, that should perhaps run about one year as well. Unless something else happens."

    The maester and master-at-arms broke off their conversation as the last petitioner of the day came through. It was mid-afternoon. Maester Ashford consulted the scroll before him. "You would be Gyle?"
    "Yes, milord." The balding, heavyset man in front of them was fairly clearly a farmer, and looked like he'd tried to clean himself up before coming here today. He held a straw hat before him like a shield.
    "I am not a lord," said Ashford patiently. "My Lady Saga sits in place of Lord Elkis. And the matter you petition my lady regarding is...?"
    "Er, well, milord, sorry, milady -- it 'tisn't a petition, 'tis more to tell milady what's happening near my farm. I've a holding twelve mile from here, up in the hill pastures. 'Tis m'neighbours, Cris and his wife Fyona. Men've been comin' and goin' fr'm their place, Southerners I think. They've not b'n much f'r company before then, what with their three children. 'Tis strange b'cause th' visitors started comin' an' goin' 'round th' time Cris put in a new crop."
    Ashford glanced at Saga to see if he could interpose a question first. "What crop?"
    "Don' know th' name," said Gyle. "They look like toadstools, but the shape's a bit wrong and 'tis grey. Cris has a big patch of it."
    The maester sucked in a breath, laying his hands flat on the table. He leaned over to murmur in Saga's ear. "My Lady, if I am right, the crop this man is speaking of is Greycap. Dried and powdered, the fungus becomes a potent poison."

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    "Tomorrow, then. If you require anything at all, Lord Drummond, simply let us know."

    She switched to weak ale as the day went on, not wanting her senses dulled.

    "Better to have leftover stocks than empty bellies. Within reason. Remind me, at some point, I need to take a look at our incoming accounts."

    She shrugged off Gyle's insignificant breach of etiquette with a welcome but weary smile. As the maester leaned in, she noticeably tensed.

    "Does a potion or antidote against this exist? I assume with your familiarity with it, you would recall such a thing, or have the information at hand. This farmer may have just saved a great many lives."


    She raised her voice back to an attempt at lordly bearing.

    "Southron folk, you say? In their dress and actions, or did they carry banners?"
    Last edited by jolinaxas; 2019-06-18 at 02:20 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga and Malena

    Crag Keep, House Fever Holdings
    The North


    "In their dress, milady," said Gyle, before the Maester had a chance to respond to Saga's question. "They'd the pale look of ironmen, but their clothes looked like the things Dornishmen'd wear."
    "How would you know what Dornishmen wear?" asked Ashford.
    "From th' war against the bloodriders." Gyle's eyes revealed the memories. "'Twas near fifteen years, but there w's Dornishmen among th' troops who went to hold Moat Cailin back then. I was there wi' me bow and two brothers. One of 'em didn't come back. When th' Dornishmen weren't armoured for battle they wore clothes like that."
    Maester Ashford leaned towards Saga. "That may have been a little before your time here, my Lady. This man is speaking of Bran the Broken's War, before the reddening of the God's Eye. About a year into the conflict, one of Daenerys the Burner's Dothraki khalasars came rampaging up the Neck. The crannogmen out of Greywatch Watch bled them and delayed them long enough for the Dustins to assemble a force at Moat Cailin. A force of Dornish spears were at White Harbour three weeks before, sent by Bran the Broken, and they arrived at Moat Cailin in time to reinforce the garrison there and turn the bloodriders back. But as for your other query, about greycap? No, there is no known antidote - which is why apart from the Strangler or Tears of Lys, it is one of the more preferred poisons."

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    "And it's deadly, I take it? Forgive me, the Manderleys weren't anxious to have me tutored in poisons for reasons I don't blame them for. How much time did I waste learning to sew, though..."

    She turned from the Maester back towards the farmer.

    "This sort of vigilance is commendable, Gyle. We will sort this out, and I'm sorry this took all this time away from your home life. Do you suppose they're due back again soon? You mentioned their comings and goings."

    Uprooting the crop and perhaps arresting the neighbors was like to get her an unwelcome serving of the mushrooms. If these apparent Dornishmen would meet, she would see what their tale was.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Bowerbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Noticing the wolves coming up behind their position, Arvid curses, turning his attention that way, trusting in his pack to protect the other side. He gives the command for them to attack as he draws for another shot.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Turns out I did damage wrong last time, apparently it's not rolled, it's a static number multiplied by degrees of success, so expect this to be less impactful.
    Lesser: Aim (+1B to Marksmanship)
    Lesser: Fire
    Marksmanship: (5d6b4)[4][4][2][1][5](16)
    Damage: 2 x Degrees of Success
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga and Malena

    Crag Keep, House Fever Holdings
    The North


    Maester Ashford smiled. "There is nothing to forgive, my lady. Knowledge of such base things is one reason why maesters study at the Citadel for years. I am bound in service to Crag Keep and its master. Or mistress. Greycap is deadly in the sense there is no antidote. That said, someone with a strong mind and an equally strong constitution could survive it - although even then that is generally with the assistance of certain ... preparations that help the body withstand the poison's onslaught. Untreated, Greycap delivers death in a matter of days for even the strongest men. Treatment helps the body fight the poison until it runs its course, but even then it is still a matter of the individual's will to live."

    When it was Gyle's turn to speak, the farmer scratched his head. "They've come at th' full moon for the last three months or so, milady. I can't say as whether they've come more recent than that. Next full of the moon'd be in about five days' time I think."

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wuff's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Septa Malena

    "Alack, it is a shame I have to dedicate some time to studying here, or else I would visit and take a look at them myself..." Septa Malena purses her lips and creases her brow in thought. Eventually, she shakes her head a little, her eyes going back down to the tome she had been studying in between petitions. She presses her finger to the page, tilts her head, then closes it.

    "Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask this... Cris to come visit us at some point? I think it is a good idea to be generally aware of the comings and goings of those within the lands of House Fever, and their business here." The Septa looks tired. This stuff isn't really her domain. She would much rather be in prayer or in study right now, but it would be rude to turn these sorts of duties aside. Besides, with business so simple and plain as this, disregarding the early visitor and the current issue, it wasn't as she didn't have time to do so.

    "How far is the ride there?" An idle curiosity drives the Septa to ask, though she's not sure if the trip would be entirely worth it. What could she really discover at the scene that she couldn't here?

    Idly, she spins the prayer wheel. When it lands unevenly, she shifts in her seat. Perhaps she should perform a reading tonight? It wouldn't be a bad decision, considering all that is ahead, but there is a reluctance in calling on The Seven too often. She may try to finesse one of the Lord Drummond's possessions from him in some unobtrusive and polite way, but anything else right now feels wasteful. She considers further, paying little attention to the world around her.

    Trying to divine some truth from the man before them would be useless. He had little to offer them, most likely, and it would be such a drain. Still... The temptation was there.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    woodwalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Ser Aran

    Aran waits for his moment, and when a wolf finally comes into range, swings his hammer for its head, hoping to put it down as quickly as possible.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Lesser Action: Moves towards nearest wolf unless one attacks him directly (if this is needed, if not I'll take a second attack)
    Readied Lesser Action: Warhammer attack.

    First time doing this, so let me know where I'm screwing up. I have a base Fighting skill of 3. I also have a 1B in Bludgeons. So I think I roll 4d6 and take the best 3.

    (4d6)[3][4][3][2](12)

    So my result is 3+4+3 = 10.
    Wolf's defense is 9 assuming we're using the normal wolf stats, so thats a successful attack with a single degree of success.
    Damage is my Athletics(2) + 1 for strength. End result, 3 points of damage.
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-06-20 at 12:35 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    "Very good. We'll likely be by to speak with him. You will stay silent."

    As the good Septa inquired about the farmer's exact location, Saga took out some silver coins, both to buy assurance of the farmer's silence and to ensure that the smallfolk would see that their watchful eyes would be rewarded.

    "I think it better that we meet them. Depending on their aims, they may not wish an audience, and may avoid one dilligently."

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Lily Stone

    Lily burst from the trees to the sound of men fighting and jaws gnashing. It didn't take long to work out what was happening, and with a curt "Vyse!" the pair advanced.

    "They're wild and hungry, but we will show them we are masters of this pack," she announced, before brandishing her speak and yelling to get the pack's attention. Vyse for his part is a grey blur striking out of nowhere to take down these normal wolves and show them who's the pack leader.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Lily - going for animal handling as she tries to intimidate these wolves: (4d6)[15]

    Vyse: Claws vs Wolf 1 (4d6)[16] 7 Damage (+2 from charging)
    Bite vs Wolf 1 (4d6)[8] 5 Damage (+2 from charging)

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perth, West Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Afternoon, South bank of the Fever River,
    Three daysí ride west of Crag Keep,
    House Feverís Lands, The North


    The wolves' approach on the group was interrupted.

    Blacktooth sprang from the treelines and leapt across the clearing. In a moment he'd torn out one wolf's throat and crushed the other's head with a single swipe of a massive paw. Elkis came in his wake, running with spear and tower shield in his hands, delivering a single thrust that spitted another wolf where it stood. Lily followed a moment later. Vyse was a grey blur as the direwolf bounded across the field and pounced on one of its smaller cousins, which gave a single squawk before the direwolf had broken its spine and had its head in its jaws. Arvid drew on another wolf and sent another shaft into its neck, and that was enough; the other wolves broke and ran, fleeing west, away from the fierce group of men and women and beasts who now stood together.

    One of the wolves, panicked, tried to run straight through the group. It met a single, arcing strike from Aran's hammer and was blasted five feet through the air with an audible crack, landing lifeless next to Rodrik. The young squire hadn't even had to swing.

    Arvid's hounds immediately gathered around their injured companion. The hound was bleeding from the neck and whining, lying down in pain; they were licking at its wounds.

    Even as they did, hoofbeats could be heard through the trees from the southeast - along with Black Jack's deep basso, shouting "My lord! We come!". They must have responded to Aran's horn.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry that took me a while to come up with, guys, and it was a bit shorter than perhaps anticipated - I think I underestimated how easy wolves are to hit compared with other campaigns I've run.

    I'm still new at awarding XP and whatnot, but I'd let's add the colossal figure of ... 1 XP each for this encounter. No Glory I'm sorry to say, turns out there isn't much glory in killing a bunch of angry wolves.



    ---

    Crag Keep, House Fever Holdings
    The North


    "Tis about a day's walk, septa," said Gyle, gratefully bowing at the gift of silver coins from Saga. "I caught a lift in a neighbour's wagon. I suppose by riding one could be back there by just after nightfall."

    Either way, he departed, and Maester Ashford called the day's petitions to an end. The double doors were closed.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Apologies also for the time this took to get in. So on this I'm happy to hear suggestions on anything Malena and/or Saga might be wanting to do right now. Could do the stewardship rolls for the month or roll for an event if you like. If not, we can move on to the next stage - Elkis and the gang are three days out from Crag Keep, so we can carry on with split scenes.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Bowerbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled to see which dog is injured, came up Kai

    The battle seemingly over, Arvid moves with his hounds, gently pushing them aside to check on Kai's wounds before anything else. With more care and skill than a Southerner might expect from a wildling, he calmly bandages the dog's wounds, speaking reassurances all the while. Only once his dog is seen to does he stand and survey his surroundings, "Thank you, Elkis, and good job lass. I'd feared they were too maddened with hunger to see sense." As he talks he moves to the wolves he'd shot, checking if his arrows could be recovered. "We found tracks over there, leading away from the ship. Did your scouting come up with anything, Lily?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Healing roll for Kai the Warhound: (3d6)[5][6][4](15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Saga Stoneshore

    Saga noticeably relaxed as the doors closed.

    "That situation with Lord Drummond was a near thing. I feel like you impressed him greatly, Septa Malena. I trust the arrangements are being made, Master Snow? I'll consider our approach to this... Dornishman issue and report what is needed. If there's nothing else?"

    Finishing the day's third cup of mead, she stood and left to seek the peace of considering inventories. Numbers were much more orderly than flesh and blood, be they lords or smallfolk. As she considered the larder's contents, she noted to the kitchens that they were entertaining Drummond and his retinue. Some consultation with the Maester, and she was likely to take up most of the short time she had before dinner, and much of the night afterwards.

    Spoiler
    Show

    So... house fortunes are... -5 for law, +3 Maester, +1 Fishery, +4 Cunning from Head for Numbers
    I roll 6d6, keep 4
    (d6)[3] (d6)[5] (d6)[4] (d6)[4] (d6)[5] (d6)[1]
    and add 3.
    I'll actually keep the 3 instead of one of the 4s, making us a Blessing at 20.
    I'll increase wealth by 1 (increased to 4 by marketplace and head for numbers)
    and increase law by 1


    She considered a local map.

    "Moving some of this traffic from carts to the river means we don't need to patrol this road as heavily, freeing up some men. And I can rent the cart elsewhere, and..."
    Last edited by jolinaxas; 2019-06-25 at 03:19 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2019

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Lily Stone

    Lily knew without checking that Vyse was unharmed, but still nodded to him: wolves shared their victories as a pack.

    Responding to Arvid's question: "A battle, and men dead on both sides. This was why the wolves came here. I don't know if the victors remain, so we should be watchful. There is something else about the ship I can't quite place. Caution would be wise."

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Elkis Stoneshore

    Elkis brushes the head of Blacktooth, making sure to pet her just below her chin, some blood dripping down onto his hands "That's a good girl! You did well in showing these scavengers what a real predator does." He wipes off his spear on the side of his boot and looks up to the Mudlancers "Took you bloody long enough! I'd say we took care of these wolves pretty well! Mind slinging the corpses on the back of your horses, want to take them back to camp for some good eatin." The Lord says with a wide smile, in an..oddly jolly tone.

    "It's only natural Arvid. It'd be wrong to let my people die on my watch. Wolf-girl! You say the ship is odd? Then let us check" He says, starting to make his way to the boat

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Rodrik Drake

    Rodrik looked down at the dead wolf at his feet. When it had come at Ser Aran, Rodrik's fear had made it seem like large and powerful. Now that it lay at his feet, the side of its head caved in, it was only now that he saw how drawn the wolf was. He had been fleeing.

    He shook his head, and cleared away the sadness. Drawn or not, they had made their choice and attacked. Ser Aran had done no more than his duty. Rodrik sheathed his sword. "Well struck, Ser Aran."

    Rodrik made to approach the kennel master, but then Elkis made for the boat. Rodrik changed his approach fractionally, and fell in behind him. "Right behind you, Lord Stoneshore."

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    woodwalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Ser Aran

    Aran turned from the wolf towards Elkis.

    Just in time, my lord.

    He surveys the scene, and listens to Lily's report.

    Lord, I'd suggest we move the camp here. Clearly something is amiss, and I'd rather not be caught to miles from the men if we need them again. They should have room to set up down where we first saw the boat; close enough to help, not so close as to mess up those tracks. I don't know if we have time to follow them today AND check out the boat, but I'd like to have a chance to follow them in the morning.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Bowerbird's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Aftermath: A Song of Ice And Fire RPG

    Arvid regards Vyse and Lily for a moment, "We could send Vyse? The night wouldn't bother him, and Lily can tell us if there's urgent need of us on the trail. We can go pick the bones clean while they follow these tracks."
    Last edited by Bowerbird; 2019-06-26 at 09:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •