Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Patrol intersection and interval timing

    A friend is going to be running a game soon for which she is looking to see if there is any easy way for her to calculate the intersection intervals of multiple patrol groups traversing routes of differing lengths.

    I couldnít help her directly, at least not off the top of my head, but I told her Iíd be happy to ask around. This is the first of my attempts to do so.

    So the variables as I first spot them would include number of patrols, number of routes, speed of patrols, and length of routes. Can anyone help rough out a formula?

    I feel like this has something to do with harmonics and wave functions but I canít pull anything up from that far back in my maths history.


    Solution found staring in my face. Apologies.
    Last edited by Outcast_Shadow; 2019-06-13 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Solution found

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: Patrol intersection and interval timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast_Shadow View Post
    A friend is going to be running a game soon for which she is looking to see if there is any easy way for her to calculate the intersection intervals of multiple patrol groups traversing routes of differing lengths.

    I couldnít help her directly, at least not off the top of my head, but I told her Iíd be happy to ask around. This is the first of my attempts to do so.

    So the variables as I first spot them would include number of patrols, number of routes, speed of patrols, and length of routes. Can anyone help rough out a formula?

    I feel like this has something to do with harmonics and wave functions but I canít pull anything up from that far back in my maths history.
    The information you need:
    Number of guards per shift.
    The split between guards on patrols (looking for bad guys) and in garrison. (Ready to Respond to the alarm)
    Number of routes
    Number of guards per patrol (it easiest if this is the same for all patrols)
    Length of shift
    Length of time for each route (it is easiest if each route takes the same amount of time).

    Your frequency of patrols will flow from the available staffing.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Patrol intersection and interval timing

    I missed the dead simple solution on this one. Iím good now... and feel a bit foolish

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Patrol intersection and interval timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast_Shadow View Post
    I missed the dead simple solution on this one. Iím good now... and feel a bit foolish
    Eh sometimes all thatís needed to solve a conundrum is to ask a question- tech guys call this the Rubber Ducky Method- you ask a yellow rubber duck how to solve the problem and in asking the question your mind resolves it.
    I'm using my signature to bookmark my favourite things I've seen on giantitp, none of them my own creation.
    | Horizon Tripper | Runecaster Handbook | Sha'ir Handbook | CN Handbook | NE Handbook | WITNHIAB |

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Beleriphon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

    Default Re: Patrol intersection and interval timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast_Shadow View Post
    A friend is going to be running a game soon for which she is looking to see if there is any easy way for her to calculate the intersection intervals of multiple patrol groups traversing routes of differing lengths.

    I couldnít help her directly, at least not off the top of my head, but I told her Iíd be happy to ask around. This is the first of my attempts to do so.

    So the variables as I first spot them would include number of patrols, number of routes, speed of patrols, and length of routes. Can anyone help rough out a formula?

    I feel like this has something to do with harmonics and wave functions but I canít pull anything up from that far back in my maths history.


    Solution found staring in my face. Apologies.
    Line graph with time/distance and each patrol as a separate line?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Patrol intersection and interval timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Line graph with time/distance and each patrol as a separate line?
    Prime factorization to find lowest common multiple.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •