The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

"I think we have a very well balanced and powerful team here. I'm no fighter but I'm not going to lose this tournament regardless if it's honourable or not." Sarah facial expression has shifted to annoyed.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-11-21 at 08:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

Thelia, Sarah and Gunnar exit the tent, they move towards the center of the encampment, it is almost midday and the camp is lively, a lot of people are moving and doing their own businesses. some children are playing hide and seek, some of them are playing catch me. After some minutes you arrive in the middle of a square, there is a small crowd of barbarian waiting for some announcement. Three criers are standing on crates shouting the tournament rule.

By the will of our leader, the Mighty Amire Tuskgutter, here the rules of the tournament: there will be three trials, the trials of the hunt, the trail of the gods and the trial of tribes

The trials of the hunt will be disputed five days from now, every team will go into the wild and hunt a beast of their choice, will of the gods, magic and strength are welcomed, the first team that will come back will win part of the prize, the last one will be eliminated from the tournament

The trials of the gods will be to seek for divine guidance in finding an object hidden within the perimeter of the camp, strength, and magic are not welcomed in this trial, only the will of the true God, in this trial there is only a winner

The trial of the tribe is the last man standing tribes competition, there will be an arena the last man standing is the winner, strength is not important also cunning might be a key for victory

all of them pause for a while

for all the participants it is not allowed to kill your competitors, the chief herself would like to see clean fight and respect for athletes

and now whoever has a question and would like to enter the tournament can step forward

some of the bystanders look interested, three groups step forward, some eyes are glancing in your direction
    Last edited by Hugh_fromrome; 2019-11-26 at 04:28 PM. Reason: no killing rules

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_fromrome View Post
    Thelia, Sarah and Gunnar exit the tent, they move towards the center of the encampment, it is almost midday and the camp is lively, a lot of people are moving and doing their own businesses. some children are playing hide and seek, some of them are playing catch me. After some minutes you arrive in the middle of a square, there is a small crowd of barbarian waiting for some announcement. Three criers are standing on crates shouting the tournament rule.

By the will of our leader, the Mighty Amire Tuskgutter, here the rules of the tournament: there will be three trials, the trials of the hunt, the trail of the gods and the trial of tribes

The trials of the hunt will be disputed five days from now, every team will go into the wild and hunt a beast of their choice, will of the gods, magic and strength are welcomed, the first team that will come back will win part of the prize, the last one will be eliminated from the tournament

The trials of the gods will be to seek for divine guidance in finding an object hidden within the perimeter of the camp, strength and magic are not welcomed in this trial, only the will of the true God, in this trial there is only a winner

The trial of the tribe is the last man standing tribes competition, there will be an arena the last man standing is the winner, strength is not important also cunning might be a key for victory

all of them pause for a while

and now whoever has a question and would like to enter the tournament can step forward

some of the bystanders look interested, three groups step forward, some eyes are glancing in your direction
    "I have a question: We each get 3,000 Gold Pieces each. Is it possible to get a discount for Mithral Chain Shirt Armor for halved the price or even halved the price for any other items that's above 3,000 gold pieces for first time competitors?"
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-11-26 at 03:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "I have a question: We each get 3,000 Gold Pieces each. Is it possible to get a discount for Mithral Chain Shirt Armor for halved the price or even halved the price for any other items that's above 3,000 gold pieces for first time competitors?"
    on of the crier dismiss you with a rude gesture, and you interpret it as a no

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Geez. Tough crowd." Sarah frowns as she feel like she was disrespected.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"It's probably not for him to give this anyway," Thelia said turning to the rest, "so, we joining in?"
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "It's probably not for him to give this anyway," Thelia said turning to the rest, "so, we joining in?"
    "I'm in. I wish my family and friends were here to see me compete in my very first tournament."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Gunnar steps forward - "I'm in..."

He looks at the others and whispers, with a grin - "The gods heard my prayers... No killing? That's what I call winning or getting off easy!"

If the others agree and the team is in, he'll then exit as soon as allowed and will hit the tents and stalls for some goods.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    DM, this is my intended shopping list. If there's something not allowed, let me know, please. I'll add to my sheet after your approval:

-Masterwork Composite Longbow (Str 12) - 500gp (srd)
    -40 arrows - 2gp (srd)
    -Masterwork Longsword - 315gp (srd)
    -Sap - 1gp (srd)
    -Morningstar - 8gp (srd)
    -Tanglefoot bag - 50gp (srd)
    -Antitoxin - 50gp (srd)
    -Potion of Hide from Animals (druid spell) - 50gp (srd)
    -Potion of Longstrider - 50gp (srd)
    -Potion of Invisibility - 300gp (srd)
    -Least Shield Crystal of Arrow Deflection - 500gp (MIC)
    -Least Weapon Crystal of Life Drinking - 400gp (MIC)
    -Healing Belt - 750gp (MIC)

24gp of "change"

If possible, he'll sell is regular longsword.

*MIC= Magic Item Compendium
    Tales of the Library: Gunnar of Miner's Pass

9. - Top - End - #309

ElfRangerGuy

"Very well," Thelia said, stepping forward, "let's go in then."
    She moved towards the spot where you could subscribe to the tournament to do just that.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Lead the way then. Man, my Drow friend, Bonnie will be so jealous when I compete in this tournament." Sarah smirk as she was excited to compete in her very first tournament.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

All of You step Forward, and with Raziel go to joining the tournament, the Criers, give each of you a token and instruct you as follows :

The Trials of the hunt will start in three days, please go to speak with our chieftain Amire, in order to have your quarries, once you got your quarries to come back here and you can choose an object from the stash, the trials of the gods will start in one week, so you have three days to complete the first task. However, in order to let all the participants prepare for the last trial, we have decided to move it in the next moon, so you will have twenty-eight days between the first and the last of the trials, hope that everything is clear, and remember Strenght is always appreciated but it tribe cooperation who will elect the fittest for survival. If you have any question please ask our chieftain

the Crier dismisses you since they were pretty clear on not giving further information you decide to look for this Amire, the Chieftain. Luckily for you it is not difficult to find her, a massive woman is going around the camp shouting order, she is dressed in exotic pelts, her hair are black and curly, she doesn't have a good smell, yet it is not unpleasant just strong, but who has a good smell in this camp? on her back, a sword as big as you can imagine, that kind of weapon would look like cutlery in the hand of a frost giant yet on her back only looks ridiculously big, you have your thoughts if she is even strong enough to swing it.

She is actually speaking with a very frail old woman, she is dressed in a long robe, there are runes on her robe and she is clearly blind, she sits toss some runes on the ground and then she glances your direction even though she has no sight at all, the Seer say something in a low tone voice to Amire, the Chieftain

There were rumors about a colorful party says Amire, she pauses and inspect all of you she starts speaking while getting closer to you this tournament is open to all, only the Kord favoured will be allowed to win this tournament, and we the people of Kord and Uthghardt gladly accepts any challenge from outsiders, you will not be treated differently among us, and if you have any quarry with some of the tribespeople, please report directly to me, no bloodshed within this camp. she relaxes her face a little bit, she is full of scars but still her face is somehow beautiful, you thought that this might be some kind of blessing.

you must be here for your first trial, there are some riddles, i'll give you three and you can decide which one to solve and only one must be solved, the solution of the riddle will be your quarry, let me know when i can start sing these riddles

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"This is going to be an exciting tourney. Is there anyone who's good at riddles?"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Morgran thanks Raziel for the treasures and after the four of them leaves, he decides to go out and look for equipment and check for a temple where he can talk to a cleric of Uthgard to get information about their order. He ties his axe to his belt and takes a javelin using it as a support rod. The place looks impressive and the fighters look formidable. Morgran is excited about joining the competition, but he is also intrigated about the stone mentioned by Raziel and what it represents for the group.

14. - Top - End - #314

ElfRangerGuy

"We used to do riddle competitions at the temple," Thelia said, "it depends on the riddle of course, but I've done them before."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"We used to do riddle competitions at the temple," Thelia said, "it depends on the riddle of course, but I've done them before."
    "Well you're in charge for the riddles Thelia."

16. - Top - End - #316

HalflingRangerGuy

Assuming everyone already bought their equipment, Gunnar speaks in clear expectation - "Well, I'm all set to start. No sense waiting more."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Well I'm ready and I think I look wonderful in Mundane Crystal Leather Armor." Sarah is checking herself out on the Mundane Crystal Leather Armor she bought.

18. - Top - End - #318

ElfRangerGuy

"Show-off," Thelia said to Sarah, although she too was pleased with her purchases. She had found an enchanted armour and while it was rather plain, if she was going to keep it, she would have to see about having it engraved with the symbol of her god.
    "I guess we're going to have to wait for the organisers," she said to Gunnar, "we can use the time to rest up a bit and check out the competition. We can have Jeremi play a bit and have people come to us and that way we can get information as well."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Show-off," Thelia said to Sarah, although she too was pleased with her purchases. She had found an enchanted armour and while it was rather plain, if she was going to keep it, she would have to see about having it engraved with the symbol of her god.
    "I guess we're going to have to wait for the organisers," she said to Gunnar, "we can use the time to rest up a bit and check out the competition. We can have Jeremi play a bit and have people come to us and that way we can get information as well."
    "If I was really showing off I would have gotten the Mithral Chain Shirt Armor. And they're very expensive. Also what kind of information do we need anyway?" Sarah was very curious about Thelia comments.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

While you discuss, the chieftain starts to chant the riddles, even though she is a masculine woman her voice is soothing

I can jump, I can swim, I swing from tree to tree and I make a house much bigger than myself. What am I?

she waits for some times and repeats it again for you, then she pauses here it comes the next

I plow and plow, but never sow, what am I?

then she pauses, looks at your puzzling faces then the last one

Creeping on its belly, curled into a ring. Eyes forever open, beware of its lethal sting.

choose wisely one to solve, you have one day to think it through, then come back to me, declare your prey and begin the hunt

she said , then she salute all of you and she came back to her duties as a chieftain

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I knew that the riddles will be difficult. Woe is me. I assume there's no hint to these riddles."" Sarah groans and sighed at the same time.

22. - Top - End - #322

ElfRangerGuy

Thelia closed her eyes when the chieftain told the riddles to concentrate on her voice to the exclusion of everything else. When she had finished the riddles, she stayed like that a moment while her mind was turning. When Sarah started to talk, Thelia waved her hand to keep silent as she kept turning the riddles in her mind.
    "I think the first one is a spider," she said after a while, "I have no idea about the middle one, but the last one can be a snake, although I'm not sure about that as they don't sting but bite. I'm quite sure about the first and as we only have to solve one, we can concentrate on that. That means facing a poisoned creature though, but if the last one is a snake, that's poisonous too."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I'll give it a shot. I think the middle one could be a hoe or a shovel."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "I'll give it a shot. I think the middle one could be a hoe or a shovel."
    Raziel is mumbling on your guess well, it has to be an animal... so let's imagine what kind of animal always has his heads on the ground, why it should plow, is it looking for something beneath the ground or else? it might be a worm... what kind of worm could be a prey? worms hunters? it sounds silly

he is touching his beard, he took of a pipe and light it a strong smell of tobacco fills the air near you.
    Last edited by Hugh_fromrome; 2019-12-10 at 05:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_fromrome View Post
    Raziel is mumbling on your guess well, it has to be an animal... so let's imagine what kind of animal always has his heads on the ground, why it should plow, is it looking for something beneath the ground or else? it might be a worm... what kind of worm could be a prey? worms hunters? it sounds silly

he is touching his beard, he took of a pipe and light it a strong smell of tobacco fills the air near you.
    "A worm plows?! That's very silly. I know that a horse or cow plow."

26. - Top - End - #326

HalflingRangerGuy

"I think the second one may be a wild boar... Most of what they eat they dig from the ground... So, you know, they 'plow'. Also, the 'never sow' part may be a hint that we should not hunt a female boar... A 'sow'. A sow may be nurturing piglets and good hunters know not to kill a mother when her children are not yet able to fend for themselves."

"I also agree on the snake part, even though a snake does not stings, but bites. Even though I think a centipede would also fit, as they crawl, curl into rings and have venomous bites, specially monstruous centipedes, I don't think we're in the right habitat to find one that is suitable for hunting."
    - Speaking of monstruous centipedes, Gunnar turns to Thelia - "Maybe we should have taken the head of that one from the dungeon with us... We could be one step ahead of the others." - He grins in a silly way.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Well A pig or a warthog sounds appropriate. After all, they're from the same family as a wild boar."

28. - Top - End - #328

ElfRangerGuy

"Good one," Thelia said, "indeed, it could be a boar or some kind. But I don't think the last one is a centipede, as they have legs. It's probably a snake. Well, in any case, we only have to pick one, not all three. So what should we go for?"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I say pick the horse. Because I've seen horses plow where I'm from."

30. - Top - End - #330

HalflingRangerGuy

"Good one," Thelia said, "indeed, it could be a boar or some kind. But I don't think the last one is a centipede, as they have legs. It's probably a snake. Well, in any case, we only have to pick one, not all three. So what should we go for?"
    "If you're sure about the first one, we should be looking for monstrous spiders... I doubt regular spiders would be on a hunting list. If I understand this correctly, the chalenge is not only the riddle, but the hunt itself. Therefore, we can certainly ignore regular vermin or other unchallenging prey. Unless I'm wrong and the riddle is the most important part..."

"In that sense, wild boar hunting is one of the classics... Another reason it may be the correct answer to the second one."

"About the third, I had already mentioned I also believed a snake was the most likely animal... I was mostly joking about the centipede... Yeah, I know I'm terrible at jokes, why do you ask?"
    - He smirks.

"On a more serious note, if we're going for the venomous choices, we should be certain everyone is packing antitoxins and the like."
    - He turns to Thelia - "Do you know spells that would help against poison?" - Turning to Morgran - "I'm glad you're with us... Your people is famous for their toughness and poison resistance." - He pauses - "And by that I mean you'll be at the frontline..." - He grins awkwardly.