New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

"Sure, I'll have a look," Thelia said, taking the letters and trying to read them. She hoped it was a language she understood, as she hadn't prepared Comprehend Languages today. Of course, she could Always prepare it the next day, but it would be easier if she could do it right now.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Tales of the Library: A rocky business, The Brutes, the Cunnings and the Wise[3.5

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry it took so long to respond, some stuff came up, and I wasn't entirely certain as to how to respond when I first saw it. So, uh,I guess I'm gonna stay true to my race.Laughs uncomfortably

Alth stays silent, unsure of how to respond
    Last edited by aviatorpenguin; 2019-06-28 at 12:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Sure, I'll have a look," Thelia said, taking the letters and trying to read them. She hoped it was a language she understood, as she hadn't prepared Comprehend Languages today. Of course, she could Always prepare it the next day, but it would be easier if she could do it right now.
    "If you're having trouble reading the letter. I'll be happy to read the letter for you if you want." Sarah smiled.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Thelia, Gunnar, Sara and Jeremi
    Show

As Gunnar is working on the Chest Thelia open and read out loud

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    Meet Alth, Inn : "The bottomless couldron", he is not very tall and he is a person of few words, you will found him easily

Spoiler: Letter 1
    Show
    Brother Litius,

The Upcoming tournament will be held in the Khedrum Valley, I've sent you a letter of presentation that gives you the right to let your five chosen champions to participate in the tournament, please be prepared to what is about this tournament for our order, we are not interested in the prize at all, but our aim is to demonstrate the true god of battle is Tempus. We as the order of the Broken Blade are proud to participate in this tournament.Remember to join your forces with Alth, he is waiting at the Inn along the way, he is crucial to our victory. May your sword be always drawn, your opponent always is might and may your victory upon him be mightiest.

Tempus Thank you.

the second letter is written very badly, there are grammar and syntax errors, it looks like t has been written by a person who has learn how to write few days ago, when you open a peeble falls on the ground, you reach for it, and it is very smooth, on one side a bronze dragon is painted

Spoiler: Letter 2
    Show

Formal invitation to my turnment, prize the shinning stone, take this token as a proof, show the chief the token and you earn the wright to join our side.

when you open the third letter it is a Map with the precise location of the encampment and all the direction to help you to find it.

While Thelia is reading this letters Gunnar manages to open the lock, he check also that there are no traps and then reveal the inside. As he search he finds : Clerics clothes with a Tempus sign painted on it, a book describing Tempus rite's and three Parchment with inscription, Gunnar is not sure what is written on it.

Spoiler: Gunnar Check spellcraft
    Show
    if you want you may roll 3 times spellcraft

Last edited by Hugh_fromrome; 2019-06-28 at 11:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Alth huh and a tournament. Sounds exciting. I remember back when I was a little girl my father took my older brother and I to a tournament to watch. There were so much competition and blood. Very violent. Ah, good times." Sarah reminisces her memories with her father and older brother to a tournament to watch.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-06-28 at 11:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"OK... Found some stuff here... Priestly garments, a book and some parchments." - Gunnar studies the parchments - "Hmmm..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    As instructed, three Spellcraft (+6) checks:

(1d20+6)[12]

(1d20+6)[9]

(1d20+6)[13]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I also remember watching the tournament with my friends and boyfriend as well. I also believed one of my friend's father who also competed in the tournament. So many memories." Sarah sighs calmly and smiles at all the great memories she has watched the tournament with her friend and her boyfriend.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I guess we won't have to persuade them to drop out for us anymore," Thelia noted after she read the letters, "we might want to go to this inn and see about this Alth person though, even if it's just to let him know the people he was supposed to meet aren't coming. And as the tournament is for five, maybe ask him to join us instead. If it's a frontline fighter, the gods know we can use one of those."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I guess we won't have to persuade them to drop out for us anymore," Thelia noted after she read the letters, "we might want to go to this inn and see about this Alth person though, even if it's just to let him know the people he was supposed to meet aren't coming. And as the tournament is for five, maybe ask him to join us instead. If it's a frontline fighter, the gods know we can use one of those."
    "He'll be very useful in our team. Plus this will be my very first time competing in the tourney." Sarah was excited for the tournament.

10. - Top - End - #40

HalflingRangerGuy

"Sure, why not." - Gunnar extends the parchment pieces to the others - "Anyone want to make sense of these?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    "Sure, why not." - Gunnar extends the parchment pieces to the others - "Anyone want to make sense of these?"
    "I'll do it." Sarah got the parchment.

Spoiler: Sarah's Spellcraft Skill Check
    Show
    Spellcraft 1: (1d20+8)[22]

Spellcraft 2: (1d20+8)[26]

Spellcraft 3: (1d20+8)[15]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Sarah , Thelia, Gunnar, and Jeremi
    Show

Gunnar reads the Scrolls but cannot grasp anything out of it, Sarah gets near him and with a quick look a spark got in her eyes, she can easily identify all the spells written on the scrolls

Spoiler: Scrolls
    Show

Arcane: Enlarge person x1
    Divine: Bull's Strenght x1
    Divine: Shield on Others x1

Spoiler: @ Alth
    Show

you stood in silence while the artist is still painting your figure, while you freeze customers start to leave the place you start to grow tired.

thank you, my good sir, here take a look!

Volo hands you a piece of paper, you took it, the draw is not far from reality, he was able to catch some glimps of your fierce and strong nature, but somehow there is a hint of your silence in the sketch.

My fellow gnome, I will tell you a story and ask you a question, based on your answer you will get a reward for your patience

here it comes:

in the middle of a valley surrounded by hills lives a halflings tribe, this tribe, we will call them "Golden Tribe"
    the Golden was living peacefully the valley was fertile and the land always rewards hard labor with plenty of goods. War days seem so distant and battle stories became legends. the Golden stops being fit and start to be fat, weapons and armors rust and walls crumble, when the last warrior of their tribes die a big funeral was made and with him, their war tradition was broken. They were not worried about these things and they lived happily and with their full bellies. One day another tribe approach, we will call them the silver tribe. Silvers fewer in numbers but Fitter and trained for war, all of them wearing shining armours and sharpened weapons astonished by this fertile valley they decide to claim for themselves, the result of the battle was obvious the Silvers manage to kill all of them and claim the land, on his last breath the Golden tribe chief spoke his regrets, and with the golden wisdom the Silvers manage to hold the valley until the ends of time.

what do you think the Golden chief last words were?

"if only my warriors were fittest, we would have won"
    "if only our weapons were sharp, we would have pierced your armours"
    "if only our walls were taller and stronger we would have hold the valley"

pick your choice

he smiles at you waiting for your answer
    Last edited by Hugh_fromrome; 2019-07-01 at 04:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"The three scrolls said Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength and Shield On Others. The first Arcane spell is Enlarge Person and the two divine spells are Bull's Strength and Shield On Others."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Jeremi, Sarah , Thelian and Gunnar
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Jeremi picks up the banner, carefully and slowly. "We had wolves attack the sheep when I was growing up," trailing off as he turns the banner over. He then looks slowly around the camp. "What did the wolves eat here?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Search [roll0]
    Surprisingly all of the bodies have been heavily injured, some of them has been dismembered and disfigured but there is no sign of eating whatsoever, you deduct that the pack played with preys for a while and then lose interest and leave on the ground.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Those could be useful," Thelia said to Sarah, "Can I see the divine ones, please?"
    As the only divine spellcaster, it would be sort of logical for her to have a look at the divine spells.

She decided to do a quick read magic spell, making it easier to confirm that the scrolls were indeed divine magic.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Those could be useful," Thelia said to Sarah, "Can I see the divine ones, please?"
    As the only divine spellcaster, it would be sort of logical for her to have a look at the divine spells.

She decided to do a quick read magic spell, making it easier to confirm that the scrolls were indeed divine magic.
    "Sure Thelia. Here you go." Sarah smiles and give to the two divine scrolls to Thelia.

17. - Top - End - #47

HalflingRangerGuy

"OK, people, we've got to decide the next step." - Gunnar looks at the others in turn - "Let's bury these poor people and then what? Do we look for the inn? Do we look for the wolves? Going straight to the inn would be safer, if we are sure this Alth dude would join us... But then we would be looking over our shoulders the whole trip. So what say you all?"

The young man gets close to the bodies and takes a last look at them - "That's nasty..." - Looking back at Raziel, he asks - "Are there shovels in the cart?"

As soon as possible, Gunnar goes to work digging a hole for the bodies. He'll try to put all the dismembered parts of each body together and wrap them with a cloak or some other large piece of cloth, like their tents, in a makeshift shroud. He tries to be dutiful and precise, but he's clearly shaken while working on the mangled bodies. In the end, the dirt and blood are mixed with his sweat and some tears. He sits there for a while and then looks at Jeremy - "So... Uh... Do you know a dirge or something?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

"If only our walls were higher" Alth answers simply, keeping his reasons to himself
    Last edited by aviatorpenguin; 2019-07-06 at 01:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Gunnar's question startles Jeremi, who looks up from the corpses. "What? Oh, yes, that would be appropriate." Jeremi pulls out his new instrument. "Although, I'd like to point out these wolves seem to have played with the bodies, instead of eating them. It's bizarre." He steadies himself, and begins to solemnly play a lyric-less tune. After finishing, he turns to help Gunnar wrap up and bury the bodies.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Gunnar's question startles Jeremi, who looks up from the corpses. "What? Oh, yes, that would be appropriate." Jeremi pulls out his new instrument. "Although, I'd like to point out these wolves seem to have played with the bodies, instead of eating them. It's bizarre." He steadies himself, and begins to solemnly play a lyric-less tune. After finishing, he turns to help Gunnar wrap up and bury the bodies.
    "What do you mean by played with the bodies?" Sarah is confused and curious of Jeremi comments.

21. - Top - End - #51

HalflingRangerGuy

"Yes, I noticed this..." - Gunnar stands up and walks away from the burial site, as if not wanting to disturb the bodies anymore - "Also, the bite marks show they are bigger than usual..." - He cleans some dirt from his neck with a piece of cloth - "Smart, big and sadistic wolves... That sounds awfully dangerous."

"If we're done here, I wish we could leave this place..."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Alth
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by aviatorpenguin View Post
    "If only our walls were higher" Alth answers simply, keeping his reasons to himself
    if only our walls were higher Volo mumbles upon your answer then he searches inside his backpack and reaches for a small vial with a blue liquid, the ampoule is finely crafted and the liquid inside is crystal clear resembling a smelted sapphire. Here my good friend, your wisdom might be your guidance in your next adventure, now if you excuse me, i have my daily ritual with this from his pockets an exquisite crafted wooden pipe emerge, he fetches some tobacco and start to smoke, he puffs a very thick white cloud and his face disappears, the smell is fruity and you can feel some hint of cedar wood-burning and incense. you look at him in silence and after a while he gathers his things it was interesting speak with you my little fellow, may our path cross again and may the blessing of our smiling lady brighten your future

Spoiler: Jeremi, Sarah, Gunnar and Thelia
    Show
    Raziel takes a shovel out of his cart , you start to dig and to reassemble the broken bodies, all of you are helping each others with this grevious task and right before midday you manage to finish it, Thelia recites all of the prayers required to allow these souls a safe passage to the afterlife. you are ready to resume your travel it is now clear that it is time to leave and to meet this person, Alth.
    Jeremi, which knowns this lands he knows the inn and also he knows a shortcut safe and faster, with his guidance you manage to reach for the inn late in the night, while you are walking on the pathway you met a silent traveler in the dark of the night his only light is his pipe which is glowing red and emits smoke puffs from time to time, when both of yours paths crosses he exchanges with all of you a polite goodnight travellers and safe journey, may Tymora smile upon your path!
    Thelia and Gunnar get a thought about this traveller, even for a small instant both of them have got the intuition to have seen him already.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"I hope this Alth person is very nice."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Alth gives a short blue to the man, before going back and finishing his food, before retiring for the night
    Spoiler: uhhhh
    Show
    assuming it is night
    Last edited by aviatorpenguin; 2019-07-08 at 09:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We'll have to see that," Thelia said to Sarah as she turned back to see the traveler she thought she knew.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

intel check to remember: (1d20+2)[18]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: Thelia, Gunnar, Jeremi, and Sarah
    Show
    Thelia mumbles and thinks over about the traveler she glances back to see if she can catch up with but he is already disappeared in the mist, now she realizes that your path crossed with Volo, you now remember his portrait from the book.
    It is late in the night when you reach The bottomless couldron , the Inn is made entirely of wood, from its chimney smoke rises and the air near the building smell strongly of venison stew, near the entrance there is a wooden patio and a person is sitting on a rocking chair behind him a great sword. From the windows, bright light emerges and you can see figures drinking and eating inside

the person notices you and stands up, now in the light you can notice she is a woman very big and muscular she is at least two meters tall she looks towards you, and while doing this she lights a torch to see you better
    In this late our two elf, and three human looks for shelter to The bottomless cauldron, be welcomed and behave or my wrath will knock you down she cracks her knuckles while looks at you

27. - Top - End - #57

HalflingRangerGuy

When on the road to the inn, upon meeting the traveler, Gunnar replies - "Blessings upon you too, mister."

Later, at the inn's front step, recognition comes to him - "Wait a minute, wasn't that the wizard dude from that book?"

----------------

Upon meeting the warrior at the inn, Gunnar gets clearly intimidated - "Uh... What?... I'm sorry... Uh... We want no trouble, miss, just lodging... And we're looking for a person..." - He looks around, hoping to meet the eyes of someone more welcoming.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"We're looking for a gnome named Alth. Do you know a person by that name?"

Spoiler: Sarah's Sense Motive Skill Check
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[2]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"My name is Thelia, cleric of Labelas Enoreth," she said, "we're just here for a meal, someplace to sleep and to search for our companion, as my companion already said."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeremi is baffled by the woman. "In addition to that, who are you? I don't think I've seen you before, and I live nearby." he peers past her cautiously.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Jeremi's own sense motive: (1d20+4)[6]